Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rhyno posted:

AI programmed me to never buy a brand new car!

If I wasn't looking at an ST a brand new model 2017 would be on the table. I just can't drop $25K on a new car when a one year older model can be had so much cheaper.

I got a way better interest rate on the new one than the one year older but used one. plus with the ST (in my case anyways) i just always shudder when i think about what a previous owner does to "fun" cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rhyno posted:

I looked at at 2017 priced and inventory, they dropped the blue for 2017!

Edit: Out of 18 ST's currently for sale in blue, only one has the recaro package. No moonroof.

yeah it was either that orange or grey or white near me, only the white one had the recaros and moonroof

*sigh* now i have to wash it all the time.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Etrips posted:

Just get a ceramic coating slapped onto it and be amazed at how much easier it is to wash. Everything just beads off.

i did not even know this was a thing

veedubfreak posted:

This. The opti-coat on mine, I basically just rinse the car.

so is this something you have to get professionally done?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

veedubfreak posted:

The hardest part is proper paint correction. For me it was worth having it professionally done. As it is warrantied for 5 years. The stuff you can buy and DIY isn't as good as the professional grade stuff tho.

PRO vs consumer grade https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-difference-between-opti-coat-pro-and-opti-gloss-coating.43156/

huh so i have to find a pro detailer in Orlando huh. How much $$ does something like that cost for an itty bitty car?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

veedubfreak posted:

Mine took 4 hours of paint correction, and I also had the windshield and rear window done. It was 1100.

thanks friend

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Here4DaGangBang posted:

FiST owners:

Assuming that our gearboxes are mechanically identical regardless of where our cars are built, I have a question for you.

Does your gearbox exhibit any reluctance to slip out of first gear when shifting? Mine will slip in and out of gear like butter when the car is at rest with the clutch in, but once I have loaded up the gear in first it almost never slips out with no resistance, it's like there is a notch, or something snagging a component. It can vary from a lot of resistance when cold, to a small but noticeable amount when the gearbox is thoroughly warm. To my mind, this should never be a function of any correctly-operating manual trans, and I've never experienced anything like it before.

The likely smoothness of the shift to second gear seems to be affected too. When cold it's more likely to be baulky, noticeably clunky through the shifter (unless the neutral-> 2nd phase of the shift is deliberately slow), and when nice and hot it will usually be quite smooth and able to be shifted quickly.

Am I alone?

Sup friend, I tend to usually warm up the car for a bit in the morning, just habit i guess. but haven't noticed any issues other than the basically useless 1st gear. I have almost 1k miles on it now and it took a wee bit to get used to getting it smoothly into 2nd the clutch feathering is pretty much the way to go, nothing crazy just a light feather to slowly apply power.

A Loud Fart posted:

No, first to second is pretty clunky when the car is cold, even if the the little readout at the center of the dash says the car is at temperature. I'm at 130 miles and have picked up the habit of feathering the clutch for the 1-2 shift and letting the engine pull me into the flow of traffic. The shift feel gets a bit better if you go on an extended drive, but still clunks, and you can hear it with the windows down.

Uhm that 1-2 thunk is pretty common due to the crap rear motor mount which is the first component i replaced with a montune one. After replacing that one at uh.. around 500 miles-ish that hard thunk you get when you drop it hard into 2nd went away.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/2364-RR-AA

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Ferret King posted:

Jfc, $20 for a spring and it doesn't even include the plastic perch.

Be careful installing this. If you break that perch it can be difficult to get a replacement.

Since you're just putting it on the existing plastic piece, couldn't you get something from ACE Hardware for like 25¢?

yeah but wouldnt it then not come with some rad sticker you can slap on next to all the rest of your gofast part stickers?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

100% Dundee posted:

There's many other spring options out there that are way cheaper, of course. Any of them will probably do the job just fine. Most of the people I've seen go the ace hardware spring route end up swapping for the steeda one eventually.

I just ordered the steeda one because I was already placing an order for their jacking rails, there was a 20% Off storewide coupon and it's guaranteed to fit/work as well as being very well reviewed.

did you get a sticker?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

100% Dundee posted:

Of course, if I didn't get a sticker I would have refused the shipment. I applied it directly to my dick like expected.

good man, that spring for a fist or fost? i didnt see one for a fist on steedas site

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Why anyone would willingly submit themselves to this kind of poo poo is beyond me. If enough people do it, insurers will know there's no risk to forcing all customers to use it, and then you can forget about ever having any fun on the road.

THIS.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Just installed a Cobb downpipe w sport cat. I hope this is the last time I have to touch the turbo for a long time, the FiST is not the easiest car to work on and I'm tired of swearing at it. I should have done the turbo/dp/exhaust all in one shot when I had the chance.

Last thing I'm installing before the driving season is over is a tow hook, then I'm done for a while.

how does it sound?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

I already had a 2.5" exhaust. But going from stock dp to the Cobb seems to sound a little louder, more runoff pops and crackles. Haven't taken it out for a real fang yet because I've got some new brake pads to bed. I'll report back and let you know though.

so thats the full cobb setup? I was just hoping to do something a bit growlier sounding than stock but not like obnoxiously loud

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Cobb downpipe, fswerks 2.5" exhaust. Honestly if you're not going to mod too much, a resonator delete adds some nice burble but stays around the same decibel range.

not a bad thought, so far its been pretty cop invisible so far but i wouldn't mind a bit more of a mean exhaust sound

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
drat y'all.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rhyno posted:

It still looks terrible.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

Lest we forget the Civic Type R is really, really good on the track.

not close to 50k good though, they still have that horrible markup thing going

and look like a cyber elephants taint

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
honestly I just dont get the appeal of pre-riced.

but then i like to do fun stuff to cars instead of having it done for you, and that one just screams boy racer so hard it would likely get pulled over while parked empty on a street.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BraveUlysses posted:

i think you're conflating rice with ugly

this car is fast as hell and has the aero bits to make magic happen

rice is superfluous poo poo that makes the car supposedly look like a race car but is of course still slow as hell

I would rather have a not ugly looking car and bolt more HP and handling onto it rather than that rejected 14 year old me drawing of a car. Ok fine its aero, and hell maybe functional aero but still dog poo poo uglier than some of the worst 2fast2furious bodykits ive seen.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

different strokes

I'd drive an ugly piece of poo poo if it was functional and fast

well sure, but at that price point i would just get an RS and be done with it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd never spend $35-50k on a hot hatch.

i feel ya there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I'm little so cant talk about fist space much, but it is indeed still a blast, and shaved 1/3 off my commute time. The white one is also practically invisible to police for some reason at least before 7am. Or i could just be very lucky.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BraveUlysses posted:

I can't fit in either :(

cyber legs that shorten

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you will not be making babies in the back of the fist unless you are both small, flexible and very understanding.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FBS posted:

the color selection for MY17 FiSTs is absolutely atrocious. I want that blue

same. :smithfrog:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
those white wheels look hot, but with the amount of brake dust that seems to collect on just the stock wheels, I feel like id be wiping em down daily.

love the sonic plate too, it just works with the rocket go kart

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah you should definitely turn off the traction control and find a somewhat deserted parking lot or street

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

mattdev posted:

Cobb tune for 91, the new rear motor mount, and new intake and it’s a fuckin dream. I love this stupid hamster car.

does the intake make cool wooshy noises?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
in the FiST manual its suggested 5th goes from 40-41

im assuming thats for economy driving but it still cracked me up

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:argh: EQUIFAAAAX :argh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ormy posted:

Don't forget just how butt ugly it is.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you folks drive a lot more than me

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah mine is like 24 round trip, still havent cracked 3k yet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah. other than killing off the fist thing they really seem to be having some fun making a few differing tiers of price pointed driving cars.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

xsf421 posted:

Sadly the CEO that was pushing out all the ford performance stuff is gone, and the new guy seems focused on crossovers, hybrids, and driverless tech.

SIGH

:smithfrog:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rhyno posted:

Fiesta RS.

shut up i got completely :smithfrog: in less than a second.

PaintVagrant posted:

Make your own, buy a used fist for 15k, throw 3-5k in parts at it, have a better car than whatever they would’ve badged as the RS.

My car on e30 and upgraded turbo didn’t lose any ground on the straights to a FBO focus RS at my last track day. If he was a better driver he would have had better lap times than me but as far as straightline speed he was shocked I was keeping up :getin:

when it gets out of warranty :getin:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Larrymer posted:

Lol, you sound like you're 16 and know nothing about cars. If it doesn't exist on an already built oem version of that car, fat chance somebody is going to design an awd system and then redesign the rear suspension given the huge cost involved...on an economy car.

kinda dickish but ok friend.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rape Stink posted:

I thought he was somewhat sarcastically pointing out that there's no AWD bolt on, so you can't make something that would be a "Fiesta RS" with bolt ons. But maybe not, I dunno...

well yeah but you stated that pretty well without sounding like a total twat

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BraveUlysses posted:

You don't need AWD to have a fun and fast car

:ocelot::frog:

this guy knows whats up.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sorry for being hostile i just dont want to be one of THOSE car subforums? you guys have taught me a ton over literally 10 years of lurking/posting i jsut want to make sure even the biggest dipshit that wants to learn a bit can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Tbh even if Ford made a fiesta RS the odds of it being awd seem very low.

it really doesnt need to be.

and i mean if you do. well you are awesome but get like 350-400 out of it and rally that bitch.

its a fast slow car.

i mean you can get what 320 out of it with montune/cobb poo poo.