Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Is there any particular reason the Civic Si is never mentioned around here? Obviously it makes less power than the FI cars in the segment but it also costs substantially less, is still significantly more powerful than the "regular" cars in the segment and has a real LSD unlike most of the competition.

An Si will obviously lose a stop light race to a Focus ST but these are apparently cars focused on spirited driving through curves, where balance and having an LSD matter.

I haven't driven an Si so for all I know its a piece of poo poo, but from the perspective of someone whose favorite old car was an NX2000 the Honda looks like a very solid competitor in a field focused on fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Phone posted:

It's basically this. Ford makes something insane like 90%+ of it's profits off of it's truck division.

The most popular new vehicle among millionaires is the F-150.

Higher-tier interiors in the new trucks from the Big Three are getting legit luxurious.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

You're just jealous that he won't have any wrinkles when he's 50.

I wish some word would leak about the Mazdaspeed3 and SRT4.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

sadnessboner posted:

This argument comes up on every frigging page of this thread. For every friend-having dog owning grocery buyer who wants a five door; there's a friendless moron who must attack all three corners in his morning commute, who knows that only the lightest, rigid-est girls car will do.

Five doors are more rigid, add little weight, are less likely to develop rattles and provide better side impact protection while being far more practical even just for tossing poo poo in the back seat on a shopping trip or whatever.

Some three door hatches look better than the five door, such as with the Fiesta, but others like the GTI are simply proportioned better in the five door variants.

It's a pity the video is such poor quality, that would be great for RAM to use in marketing to their target demographic up here.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

Small cars exist in the US solely to push up fuel mileage numbers so that CARB can furiously masturbate that they are saving the world.

Then thank goodness for CARB, yet another regulatory system that only has to exist because Americans are idiot children.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

8ender posted:

What would everyone recommend for decent performance all season tires? I need something with good tread wear but that also isn't a slouch for performance. Normally I'd just buy something like the Michelin Super Sports but i have a big commute every day and its Canada. Car is an Audi A3.

Don't use all season tires unless you live in the Okanagan or similar, if you get real Canadian winter an all-season compromise is always poo poo. Steelies and Blizzaks in winter, three season proper tires the other half of the year.

All season tires are universally poo poo compared to a season-appropriate tire, year-round.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Dr.Caligari posted:

Go pick that thing up, Cthulhuite. You won't regret it. Make sure to account for buying snow tires if you live somewhere that gets ANY snow. Those summer tires are suicide in any type of winter weather.

For safety's sake please note that winter tires aren't just for deep snow, they're for any cold weather that may see ice and frost on the roads. The biggest difference between three-season and all-season tires is the compound, meaning how they react to changes in temperature, and even if you get minimal snow during the winter it's probably going to be dangerous to drive on summer tires as they'll be hard and perform terribly in the cold due to their compound.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Yea, if those loving proles wanted consideration they should have bootstrapped their way into a Focus.

Pissy unwarranted entitlement is always funny but god drat son that post is a barrel of lol

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Ehud posted:

I just wonder why so many people are getting rid of them :ohdear:

Because it is simultaneously a great car and a lovely car, in proud Italian fashion.

500s make me smile every time I see one and the Abarth is like an angry puppy, I can't not love it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mariana Horchata posted:

$50k Jetta actually but yeah.

Audi's S3 is built on the MQB platform, same as the Golf. The Jetta is not.

And despite being on the same platform as the Golf, the A3/S3 is the nicest car in its class. Whether that says more about compact luxury sedans or the MQB is up to you.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mariana Horchata posted:

$50k Jetta actually but yeah.

Audi's S3 is built on the MQB platform, same as the Golf. The Jetta is not.

And despite being on the same platform as the Golf, the A3/S3 is the nicest car in its class. Whether that says more about compact luxury sedans or the MQB is up to you.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Christobevii3 posted:

If you don't mind tuning, look at the veloster still. They're going under $20k and a basic tune is adding 40hp/40ftlbs. It isn't that hard with a tune, downpipe, intercooler placement to be in the 250hp at the wheel range. Stock tune is on 87. This would give you a more forceful feel like your mazda 3. The stock handling and tires are pretty garbage but pierce motorsports has some relatively easy upgrades to make it feel ok.

This is so stupid I can't help but think it's a troll.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fyodor posted:

Focus ST is the same price as an MS3 and a mere 3 feet longer turning radius. You can't be serious.

Dude's talking up the idea of throwing thousands of dollars away "tuning" a loving Veloster, he's a literal retard.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Calidus posted:

Is the RS priced crazy high in Canada

This one.

Ford's prices are insane across the board these days, actually.

Powershift posted:

GTI: $29,595+dest

And that's the base 3-door, if you want a 5-door performance pack it's $38k.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fyodor posted:

Please post your recommendations for a sun screen that isn't bullshit. Thanks in advance.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

GutBomb posted:

The mini is a perfectly capable every day car

Well, not if he actually needs to be able to drive it every day.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fyodor posted:

"Performance"? Yikes.

lol yea um,

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone suspension setup tips for fwd veloster? I have camber plates now. I also debating on settings of sway bar, seems MacPherson are OK with heavier sway. Maybe 1.5-1.75 negative front and 1 negative rear

Rear has 1/8" toe in from factory, 0 up front. Thinking about doing 1/16 toe out front, 0 in rear.

Got some kumho v720s on spare wheels to try this weekend at auto cross too. Should be major improvement over daily kumho Les.

Christobevii3 posted:

What does bottoming out have to do with alignment...but ok?

In a hurry after work I got my camber plates on and just maxed them out (negative 3 camber for autocross) and kumho v720 tires/wheels on. Holy poo poo is this thing a blast and darty now. You can do a u turn like a gokart. I'll hopefully have good weather and can mark a -1.0-1.5 daily and -3.0 match for autocross.

I wouldn't listen to this guy about cars.

Has any information leaked about the next WRX/STi coming after the Impreza gets its new platform in 2017?

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 12, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Gross. Also classic car salesman line at the end, thank you.

He's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

How dare this tiny low-margin manufacturer not dump resources into developing a super low-volume model that I wouldn't buy anyway?