Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What's the deal with RS availability? Can anyone test drive one soon or will it be preorder only nonsense forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think I would refuse a rental car from Florida just on principle alone. Bugs bunny saw.gif

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Still less than the average Golf R markup. Only half joking.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Just zooming out a bit with gas as cheap as it is small car sales are getting absolutely murdered right now, and Ford missed earnings expectations by a wide margin today calling out the car segment specifically as a huge pain point. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't really commit to the RS in a big way.

I just want to see one for less than retail, then I'm actually interested in driving.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've found a minor annoyance with my GTI. The windshield wipers are kinda tucked down below the hood so it makes it a pain to clean the glass. You can't lift them up or they hit the hood. And if you put them in service mode then when you go to bring them back down they wipe all the way down and you've gotta go back and clean up after them.

It's a VW, not a Bentley. Lighten up a little.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Terrible Robot posted:

Well he did say it was just a minor annoyance. I dunno, considering every other loving manufacturer on the planet has managed to figure out how to make parking wipers that don't hit the hood when you try to change them, he's got a legitimate complaint. How's that VAG cock taste?

I have no idea? What on earth is going on?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I mean nobody is buying VWs anymore so they have to do something to start selling those GTIs. Sales figures were disappointing and market share was sliding before dieselgate, I haven't had time to look at more recent numbers but I doubt their situation has improved much.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 11, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Does it drive as terribly as it looks?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I've never leased but isn't lease->buyout the absolute worst way to buy a car financially speaking? Hey we're gonna gently caress you for the depreciation we usually eat as well as a forced used car deal you can't walk away from, enjoy this double sided dildo. Please put a new engine in it so you absolutely have to buyout, that's the ideal scenario for a shady dealer!

I mean I know there is a lot of "creativity" to gently caress consumers over in the car financing world but this seems particularly bad.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Rhyno posted:

That's the goddamned worst. There's a local dealership that puts badges on cars brought in for service regardless if they were bought there or not.

This is incredibly illegal and they would get sued into oblivion after about one week, so I'm gonna say you're full of poo poo.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

2017 Focus STs listed for $22.6 near me, supposedly going for $500 or so below that including all fees. Ford really wants to sell these.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

How much under MSRP are RSes going for?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I think things have changed quite a bit since early December wrt RS availability, if there's any way to cancel that order you can probably get one tomorrow for MSRP. There are 12 listed near me for below retail on the dealer's website. But of course they've got some way to gently caress you on canceling orders don't they? Because it's the auto industry and of course they do.

Still seems like a tough sale at full retail pricing, but maybe the industry collapses and we get some real deals this year here's hoping!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Car dealers are terrible. They asked $49K (~8K over MSRP and 7k over what their website says) for the golf R that has been sitting in the sun for 6 months near me when I walked in. And I personally know they have sold several below retail this year.

There should really be some consumer protections against that kind of horseshit.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Ford is going though a major slump right now, they've already cut production twice but if you keep your eyes out you will likely be able to get some insane deals in 2017.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

It's ok to go a bit too fast into turns (when safe, no traffic) to see where your car's limits are. It's also good to practice moose swerves in unfamiliar cars, if you're not confident in what your car is capable of at that speed you can get yourself into a shitload of trouble reeeeeeal quick. Knowing how hard I could swerve at 60mph+ has saved me from really nasty accidents at least three times so far, probably saved my life in one case.

Or you can just panic and slam on the brakes and get hosed by your insurance company regardless of fault.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

There's also the fact that loving nobody bought a focus rs much less any focus.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Just stream everything, owning your music is so old fashioned you dinosaur!*

*has given $8000 and 200 FICO points to telecom companies over the past 5 years

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

Ended up doing a cruise yesterday from Denver down to Colorado springs with a few diversions here and there. Discovered that the navigation in my car is smart enough to send me around traffic.

I really like that drive, can keep going all the way down to New Mexico and find somewhere to stay if you want to make a proper road trip out of it. Especially this time of year with the massive thunderstorms rolling out into the plains, it's great. The freeway is empty after the Springs if you want to zone out, or you can take the highway up to Taos or wherever. Just never stop in Pueblo, gently caress Pueblo.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Don't worry Subaru will come up with some new stuff by 2045. Or not, since every company is just killing their hatches and small cars.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I feel like the RS was designed to be a super cool used track car when it hits $20K or whatever price point. My friend with one got smaller wheels and more sidewall which apparently helps a ton if you're actually driving it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

WescottF1 posted:

We had a really long/bad winter and I had a couple instances where the fuel door iced shut. Just had to run home and use a hair dryer on it.

Ok please give me a break. You can just smash ice off any fuel cap with any ice scraper, you do not need to run home and apply electricity or invent a device. Even if freezing rain coats everything it's not that big of a problem to refuel.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

fknlo posted:

Just got the end of lease inspection done on the GTI. The car is completely frosted over. I just shot the poo poo with inspector while he took the pictures he needed and left. A+ would recommend that guy.

I tried really hard to figure out what this post means and still have no idea. That was a good inspection? Not bad? Why does ice on the car matter for such an event? Or is frosting slang for some sex act you kids like nowadays?

Do you have to talk to the inspector? Is that the point of the story that you charmed his socks off? This is so mysterious.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

No sorry I don't recognize any posters in any forum outside of like two people in BFC so no the context was totally lost on me. You got in a major accident in a leased car and hid it from them somehow? Now I'm more confused, wouldn't you need some illegal chop shop to pull that off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Wait I don't really understand the last few posts. If you're a fat person you think about things like your body contact with chairs all the time? And that makes road trips unbearable? I am confused.

I drove across the USA last year in a GTI and really loved the seats, way more comfortable than many cars that cost quite a bit more.