Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Atmus posted:

Does this violate the waranty, or what? Is it harder on the engine or something? Why don't the automakers shove them out the door with stuff like this installed?

I assume these questions have super obvious answers, but this would be the first time I've ever had a reason (or a car that would benefit from it) to look into it.

I think its a combination of things. Ford is probably erring on the side of emissions and reliability.

A lot of people don't take very good care of their cars. If Ford sends them out highly strung from the factory and the engines grenade after 80k miles of abuse then people give them a bad reputation, even if they waited 15,000 kms to change the oil and did a 10 minute burnout before it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I like the C30 T5 and its interior but isn't the handling kind of poor in comparison to the Focus?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

You'd think Ford would have learned from other hot hatches. The first gen Speed3 had the same issue.

I honestly can't remember a generation of Ford's where there wasn't at least one model plagued with poo poo motor mounts.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

echobucket posted:

Anyway. I'm at the dealership now. On the way down here I got a tire pressure monitor fault as well.

Typical Ford behaviour would call for your ball joints, alternator and engine mounts to die next. After that you'll be fine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I like those stats because it proves even the well off are down for a rad little hot hatch. The hot hatch appeal crosses all social and economic boundaries. Its a universal constant among car people.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I got caught in a snow storm with my summer tires on and I could make the rear end step out just touching the throttle. In 5th gear.

I think that hour long drive aged me a few years.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Buying a 2006 Audi A3. Can't loving wait till it's ready. Two more days. Makes my 21 year old BMW feel like a box truck.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Its a black A3 with the sport package. Service records and all the things you want out of an Audi of any age. Car friends keep chanting STAGE 1 BRO but I think I'm going to keep it stock for a while and just enjoy it. Its an amazingly balanced and fun car. I can't help but smile at how power band on the engine. All the power at ~2000 rpm and a six speed so you can just keep rowing. They really did a turbo well in this.

8ender fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 11, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Post lots of pics when you get it, Audi does the best sport packs, they really know how to do subtle changes to improve the looks. Keeping it stock is probably best for now, once you're down the modification rabbit hole it just keeps getting deeper. If you're happy with the stock power then enjoy it till you start wanting more, no need to jump the gun and start throwing mods on it.

Finally had it clean enough for pictures. 2006 Audi A3 with Sport Pack. The previous owner is an amazing person who kept meticulous service records and kept this car looking and driving like new. I love driving this thing so much right now. I honestly can't find a fault with how it drives. I guess the winter wheels that came with it are pretty ugly I dunno.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

1791apparel posted:

Nice pickup! This is a 2.0T correct?

Yes it is. It's a great engine. It's tuned to produce a shitload of torque at around 2.5k rpm which makes it hilarious fun.

Clarkson was right about the engine in his review of the mk5 gti. There really isn't a wrong gear to be in at any speed for the most part.

Handling is exceptional for a FWD vehicle as well even if it likes to set the tires on fire in the first few gears with traction control turned off.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I often feel that 5th gear is pointless in both my current TDI and my old 1.8t. It's like all they did was push everything closer together and make 5th into 6th. If I'm passing I'm going from 6th to 3rd and when cruising I pretty much always just go 4-6.

The 2.0T seems to have enough grunt that it has its uses. I'm using it right now for cruising and lazy passing on the two lane 100km/h roads. I do mainly 6-4 though for most cases.

If anything 1st is annoying on this car. Its a really short gear and you want to immediately be out of it to get some speed, but starting in second requires too much clutch. It does make nice noises though :allears:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Trambopaline posted:

Am I totally crazy to think that way or does that mirror the goons' experience?

This can really depend on your tires and whatever else the car is doing to compensate. Right now my A3 has a terrible set of winters on it and I can smoke the tires in a corner easily if I get the turbo going. Its really disconcerting coming from a RWD car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

japtor posted:

Crap I keep forgetting about that. I thought (hoped) it was only in extremes to prevent more unintended acceleration incidents, like full throttle and full brake application or something. Have you experienced it yourself in anything yet? I don't think I've noticed it in my patents' recent Prius but I can't say I've driven it all that hard around corners :v:

The ESP in my Audi can be pretty annoying in low traction situations like snow. Mainly because it's decision to fire a brake on one side or reduce the throttle is acting counter to the counter measures I'm already instinctively taking to control things.

I blame the misunderstanding to years of driving FWD, AWD, and RWD cars with no electronic assistance at all. I have a bag of tricks I do to drive each type through slippery stuff but it's expecting me to just sit back and let it work.

I can't not do these tricks at this point because it's instinct so me and ESP fight until I remember to turn it off.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

This was actually in C&D but not much more reputable. I'd love to see a new MS3 but not holding out a lot of hope.

Mazda seems like they've crawled back to focusing on profits and selling as many sort of boring vehicles as possible since they split from Ford.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I love my A3 hatch so much. It's probably the first car I've owned where I have no complaints and no real desire to mess around modifying the ride.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VWoA sold the A3 hatch in America for years and it was completely unsuccessful. What do you think they should do differently? Continue to push cars that people don't buy?

On the plus side the used ones don't hold value at all and are largely ignored by the kind of people who put coffee can exhausts on things. You can pick up one for 8k and it's like a really extra nice GTI. The owners also tend to be the folk that get everything serviced at the dealer and keep records.

In contrast trying to buy a used GTI is like shopping for a Honda Prelude. Every single one is trashed or has a collection of terrible mods on it.

8ender fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 9, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

LoopyJuice posted:

Agreed on the colour choice:

Don't seem to be many of these in here but having tried the equivelant Golf, Focus etc this was the one for me. The new BMW M1 looks like a lot of fun but AWD was something I really wanted and the S3 won out.

So jealous of this. I have the less hot A3 in black.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

LoopyJuice posted:

From my brief reading of the thread it doesn't sound like the A3/S3 are sold in the US other models are though so i'm not sure why...

As far as I know the A3 has been available in the US since 2006. However more recently it's become a sedan only car in North America.

I don't think the car has been a huge success for Audi in NA. It's essentially a GTI in Audi trim but with a much larger price tag and less features standard.

It was sold in the same price range as a good 3 or 1 series BMW so you had to really want an Audi hatchback over the GTI or the competitors offerings.

That said they don't attract nearly the attention a GTI does on the used market so they're cheap and usually not modified. The Audi interior and exterior is really nice too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I personally prefer the look of the S3 over the R but agreed.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I wish Mazda would say anything firm about future performance cars.

It's too bad they aren't still in bed with Ford because we'd probably have a Mazdaspeed 2 right now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I think the Mazda2 looks beter than the Fiesta, just sayin. A Mazdaspeed version would probably look hot.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

What would everyone recommend for decent performance all season tires? I need something with good tread wear but that also isn't a slouch for performance. Normally I'd just buy something like the Michelin Super Sports but i have a big commute every day and its Canada. Car is an Audi A3.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

DWS for the months when there's less than 1-2" of accumilation
Winter Extreme for the months where it's likely to snow alot and stay on the ground for more than an hour.

The Winter Extremes match up almost exactly to the Blizzaks for about 75% of the price.

I've found the General Tire Altimax winter tires to be excellent as well. They do as well as the Blizzaks with the downside being some fairly noticeable road noise. Cheap though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

On my A3 I've had cases with really wet snow and all-season tires where the TC shuts down all attempts to turn the wheels. It allows essentially no wheelspin. Amusingly the dash is constructed to such tight tolerances that in such cold conditions it will sometimes shrink enough to jam the TC on/off button.

My A3 also has the super nanny TC system. It aggravated me enough last winter that part of my morning startup routine was to stab the TC off button so I could actually make it out of my driveway.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

priznat posted:

I have an E46 and without power seats or sunroof it is very comfortable for me, seat could even go back a bit further. E39 best BMW though :swoon: Don't like the new ones at all (also price) so that's why I'm looking at hatches now.

Not in a rush though, my wagon is still ticking along fine. Just really like hot hatches :)

I'm still very pleased 6 months in with my Audi A3. It doesn't get a lot of love because it was just a really expensive VW GTI but for that same reason it seems to go cheap on the used market. Insurance is less as well. It also shares nearly everything but sheet metal with either the Golf or GTI so part prices haven't been bad at all.

As a bonus you'll catch scorn from people who hate people who own Audi's AND Audi owners themselves for buying the cheap one.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

priznat posted:

I testdrove an A3 hatch ages ago for the fun of it, it was really nice. Mostly I wanted to check out the DSG which I thought was really cool.

It's a shame Audi doesn't sell those here anymore, the A3s now are just boring sedans. :sigh:

I believe thats only 2013 onward. Theres still lots of excellent used ones around.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Reversing up hill.

Building up revs for a spectacular j turn reversing up hill

priznat posted:

Is it sacrilegious to be eyeballing the DSG in the new GTI vs the MT? I have a 5 spd manual now but the whole dual clutch thing just sounds neat.

Its definitely very competent for an automatic but sucks all the fun out of the car in my opinion. Half the fun of a turbo hot hatch is revving the balls off it and doing stupid things with the clutch.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

priznat posted:

Wow that seems pretty odd. Should have the option for either really.

I had a look at local used A3 prices and they seem strangely pricey for 3 year old+ small hatchbacks. I'm pretty annoyed they switched over to the sedans only in North America for the new model. Or just Canada? Anyway, what the hell Audi??

Must be your area. I found A3's here to be cheaper than GTI's of the same year. Picked up a 2006 for 8k.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

priznat posted:

Someone at my work has a Veloster Turbo parked near where I park most days, and I really like it. It's not the car for me, but I'm glad it exists, you know?

Curious to hear anyone's impressions of driving/owning one. Is the back door useful for average sized adults? How is the rear visibility? How does it handle?

I also have a co-worker with a Veloster and I feel the same way. It looks like a big ugly carp that I'd never own but its good that someone other than the usuals is trying a hot hatch.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bajaha posted:

The onboard trip computer is hilariously optimistic with regards to mileage and the real world highway fuel consumption kinda sucks.

What kind of mileage are you getting on the highway? The Veloster is specced similar to my car and I'm getting 32-25mpg consistently.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

priznat posted:

I like how most of the hot hatches don't get optioned up like crazy like anything from BMW, Audi or Infiniti. Trying to build anything on their website is agonizing when you end up $8k away from the base price for really nothing too extreme, options wise. It must be a luxury brand thing.

In Canada the GTI vs A3, at least for the mk5, is weird. They're essentially the same car but the GTI came decked out with only a few options (leather, xenons) while on the A3 almost everything was an option.

It was possible to option out a stripper Audi A3 with cloth seats, no LCD on the gauges, standard Golf suspension, and the basic CD player.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

pretty sure they dont bother computing the price of insurance off the number of doors anymore--i'm sure it's far more complicated than that. For instance, state farm quoted me higher insurance rates for e90 328i than the more expensive and faster 335i.

Insurance told me an A3 was cheaper than a GTI of the same year based on crash statistics alone despite similarities.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, you can go on the IIHS website and look up stuff like total-loss and liability statistics for different cars. It helps explain why Lancers are more expensive to insure than a Civic, for instance (Lancer owners total their own cars, and when they do, they total a lot of other cars on the way out).

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/insurance-loss-information

Thats a cool resource and mirrors what my insurance told me:

Interestingly the A3 comes up under "mid-sized station wagon" while the GTI is under "2 door small cars" which I assume makes a further difference. So I guess all the young 20 something professional women driving the A3 is helping my insurance costs. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

God I hope Audi brings the new RS3 to the US as well.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Mr-Spain posted:

If they did it would be no poo poo 60K I don't think that would fly. Dealers around here have the S3 at 52k or so.

But I need people with shitloads of extra income to buy these things so I can pick them up cheap 5 years from now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

leica posted:

I really miss having a hatch and can't afford any of the newer hot hatches so I've been thinking about possibly "making" my own. For awhile I've been wanting a second gen ZX3 Focus and recently they have been coming down in price big time with low miles. IIRC they are relatively cheap to make better as far as handling but I'm not so sure about engine stuff. Basically I would put most of the money into suspension and wheels/tires and maybe some bolt on poo poo for the engine (intake/header/exhaust) if it would even help at all......Any advice on these cars? I would most likely be rally crossing it and maybe auto crossing as well.

Co-worker recently scored a blobeye Impreza hatch for a grand with the intentions of making it a rally car. It had a scratched up fender and needed some maintenance but was otherwise ready to drive. If Sockington's Impreza is any indication they can be made to handle amazingly well with some suspension work.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

The only thing I hated was the huge amount of wheel hop, I know it's been a problem for others before I bought it, just had no idea how bad it was until I romped on it for a while.

I had no idea how bad the wheel hop on my Audi A3 was until I installed the poly insert and holy poo poo it can put power down now. Taking off fast and having a smooth transition from wheel spin to grip is amazing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

It can really depend on the engine management but modern cars are pretty good at getting a lot of power out of good ol 87 octane. The GTI for example:

VAG also seems to consistently be good at sandbagging on their official HP figures as well.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Why does VAG refuse to go bigger than 2.0 on their 4 bangers. It's getting somewhat out of hand that the new R has almost 300hp with a 2.0. The giant turbo and headwork/internals seem like they would cost more than just bumping displacement a bit.

VAG agrees with you but decided displacement and an extra cylinder was the answer because Germans

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-audi-rs3-2015-revealed-2014-12-11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

needknees posted:

My big question is (since I tend to keep vehicles for a VERY long time) is about all the electronic wizardry - am I going to have a nightmare 8-10 years down the road with all that crap? Their engines and transmissions seem very solid but all the gizmos are a bit worrisome when it comes to reliability.

Complete heresay and opinion but I've found Ford's don't generally have higher than average issues with electrical in the long term. Usually the old bastard Ford hat trick is motor mounts, alternator, and heater core going all within 6 months of each other.