Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Working at a Ford dealership, I'm gonna get a hella deal on a FiST or FoST. I'm leaning towards the FoST, but the FiST's price is pretty appealing. The FiST doesn't come in nuclear Kraft Dinner orange, though... I'm torn. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

BoostCreep posted:

It sure does!

Just drive them back to back.
Naw, I meant this:

The FoST is looking the best to me right now, I'll probably be test driving it today. We don't have a FiST on the lot unfortunately.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

As someone desperately trying to save up money for a hot hatch, this is a very painful tease. $38k is gonna be out of my league for so long...

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Eelface posted:

I somehow remembered a close customer while doing retail in college owned a ford dealership and emailed him about an RS. Can get one for MSRP now is the white or neon blue question that will haunt me

That blue is an amazing colour. Don't pass it up.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

fyodor posted:

the only people who notice me in my fost are attractive women who point and laugh at the man driving a "ford focus." :(

I gave a thumbs up to someone in a FoST the other day. I try to whenever I see one. :colbert:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

KidDynamite posted:

My Focus RS finally got built! Is it too soon to start planning track days?

Congrats! Hope you get it soon.

I'm starting to look into building an ST for myself. It'll be my first new car and first manual, upgrading from an '06 Jetta TDI. I apologize in advance to every driver stuck behind me as I stall 84 times at every stoplight.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

101 pages in, I finally get to vote in the poll.

I don't have enough words for how excited I am to have this thing.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

ltugo posted:

'Sup fellow Annapolis goon! I just bought a 2014 FoST from Bayside Nissan on Riva Road. Huge upgrade from my Sonic. I'll wave if I see you.
Noice! What colour, so I can wave? I see a red one running around West Street a lot, and a yellow one parked with a bunch of Shelby decals.

I still have problems starting on an incline but I'm slowly getting more confident. Only stalled her once yesterday. The Recaros are a weird adjustment to make but I think I like them.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I wish I could afford a trip to Utah from Maryland, I'd love to do the octane academy. I'm adjusting to the FoST pretty well I think, and drinking up more knowledge and experience would be amazing. Wish they could do 2, east coast and west coast.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

FoST and FiST owners, how do you guys clean the front grille? I was thinking of wrapping a microfiber cloth around the handle of my snow brush or something for a quick wipe, but I was wondering if there's a "proper" way to do it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Pryor on Fire posted:

What's the deal with RS availability? Can anyone test drive one soon or will it be preorder only nonsense forever.

My dealer said that they're full on pre-orders for the year but they'll go into general production in December, so maybe not until then unless you've got a friend getting one.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I drive by this Focus R all the time during work, finally drive past it with my own car. Old meets new.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Oh noooo. Are you alright?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

KidDynamite posted:

Is booking a track day in September too soon for a novice fast car and manual transmission driver? Because I really want to drive this thing fast.

I did my first autocross event less than 3 months after getting my ST, which is my first manual car. It's not too soon, and it can help with any bad habits you might unknowingly have picked up. Just make sure you're with people who know what they're doing and ask a million questions s.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

DirtyFalcon posted:

I'll quit posting now.
Please don't. The RS looks so good in white.

Edit: accidental snipe. Have some STs by sunset.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

On today's episode of Hot Or Not - The Dodge Caliber SRT-4.

One of our customers at work has this one, plus 3 others he's working on. I'm not sure if he's trying to start a cult or what. It sounds pretty good, he's put work into it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Cobb is supposed to be one of the most vibrate-y of the RMMs for the FoST. I ordered a CP-E one for mine that's supposed to be a good balance between reducing torque twist and in-car vibrations, most people recommend it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

fknlo posted:

I had a Jeep Renegade rental for a couple of weeks that was pretty dreadful in the steering regard too. You couldn't feel anything at all through the steering wheel and it wanted to return to going straight in turns like nothing I've ever driven before. Like you had to work to keep the steering wheel from returning to center and driving off the road in a curve.

It also made my knees hurt... I don't have a good explanation for that outside of maybe the seating position or something, but my knees returned to normal the day after I got rid of it.

I also had a Renegade rental just over a year ago when my Jetta was in for collision repair, and you've given words to my feelings. I couldn't pinpoint why I hated it but it was just so mechanical, I couldn't feel anything. My knees hurt too and I'm only 5'3".

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

KillHour posted:

I should probably mention that this is my first car with a standard transmission. Yes, I'm that guy. :downs:

This was also me a year ago to the day. I had to have my boss drive it from the dealership to a parking lot where he taught me how to drive it. It's daunting at first but you get used to it pretty quickly. You'll be fine!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I got my AP + Stratified tune in a bundle with my CP-E rear motor mount for my '16 FoST, just under $650 shipped.

Also I keep hearing about an update to Strat tunes but can't find anything about it, and my AP Manager doesn't have any updates available. Anyone know more on this?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Monkey Fracas posted:

The Focus ST is pretty restrained compared to the Type R. If you don't go for the yellow one.
I've got a yellow one. It still looks pretty restrained, but she's mostly stock on the outside - all I've done is put flaps on. 95% of the time I love the colour, especially when I'm looking for it in a parking lot. The other 5% of the time I really wish I got a black or white one, just because I think they're better looking aesthetically.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Tryke posted:

I test drove the GTI yesterday and a Focus ST today. I like the GTI more, but god drat Ford must be aching to move some cars. With manufacturer incentives they quoted me an ST at $18,544 before tax/fees ($21,067 out-the-door in MD).

I like the GTI more, but do I like it $6,000 more?

You're in MD? Then the ST comes with a car club that meets for ice cream or Mexican once a week. Join usss

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Tryke posted:

Is this a pro or a con?? I'm watching my :btroll: figure but I do enjoy some good Mexican...

The R&R Taqueria in White Marsh/Perry Hall is amazing and very well worth it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

veedubfreak posted:

This is how I used to justify having State Farm. But my poo poo is up to 150 bucks a month. Soon as I get a new job I'm definitely changing to something less expensive.

When I put in my change of address from Annapolis to Rosedale (nicer Baltimore suburb), State Farm both a) charged me $80 for the change of address (divided across 3 months), and b) raised my rate $30/month. Neither of these were told to me in any manner, I had to contact them to ask why the hell my bill was $60 more than last month. I'm 100% looking for a new carrier.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

State Farm doesn't charge for an address change. The increase must be from only the zip code change because of their actuarial data. I'm curious how they explained $60 was split twice.

They said the $80 charge from address change was split over 3 months of billing, then an increase in my 6 month fee due to being in Bmore instead of Naptown. Either way, not even attempting to inform me that hey, your next bill is gonna be like 50% more than you're used to seeing, is hella bad business and I'm going elsewhere. Probably either Progressive or Allstate.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I got my geico quote last night, I'm switching tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Any ST goons headed to Ford Nationals next weekend? I'm bringing mine up from Bmore, was wondering if I'd see anyone there.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

You might want to check on Facebook if you have an ST club local to you and see if anyone has one for sale. You'll be able to get a lot more information about it that way.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Holy poo poo this discussion is terrible car stuff. Look at our neat cars from last night's meet and talk about hot hatch stuff.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

100% Dundee posted:

What is a good example of a car that you think is not over-styled for reference?

tamry.jpg

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Isn't the nitrous blue without the flake just that blue that they used on mustangs a few years back?

E: Grabber Blue

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

GutBomb posted:

Just wrap your shoe in a towel and kick it real hard.

This legit worked on getting a fender back in to place on a fleet Fiesta I used to drive (other delivery driver bonked it off, not me).

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

fknlo posted:

Fiesta is apparently kaput in the US as of the 2018 model year. I'll try to get a link on my next break if no one else does.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-says-fiesta-wont-return-for-the-2018-model-year-97094.html

That link was posted in my car club last night, but people are saying it might just be during their factory move.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

skipdogg posted:

This was good for a chuckle. I wonder how many are still on the road. I see a Caliber SRT-4 that's all modded and bodykitted out around where I live once in a while. Poor bastard.

One of the shops in Annapolis has 3-4 of them. He loves them. Lemme see if I still have my imgur pics.

E: Just the one. Lost all my phone pics a week ago.

Night Danger Moose fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 26, 2017

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Kanish posted:

Speaking of tire chat, anyone in the Maryland, DC, Philly area in the market for winter tires? I have a set of Blizzaks and 17" steelies I used for a year before I sold my Focus ST.

Post this up in the Focus/Fiesta ST Trader Maryland Facebook group, I'm sure you'll get a hit. https://www.facebook.com/groups/728566210556545/

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I never go higher than 5th unless I know I'm gonna be cruising on a highway for several miles. I've probably spent longer in 5th than any other gear.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Dr.Caligari posted:

And if that isn’t enough, pick up the Cobb AP. It will feel like your car has been in limp mode the whole time.

Seconding this. Just the stage 1 93 tune feels like my FoST goes from walking a large dog, to walking a large dog that sees a squirrel.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I would love a Ranger ST, comparable to the old late 90s F150 Lightning and Dakota R/T. But we get this automatic crossover lump instead. Disappointed.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

It looks like a Fiesta, the light comes on when it calculates 50 miles to empty (at least my Focus does). If you spent the rest of the tank at 10mpg, it would be less than 50 miles til empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Wrar posted:

Any other FoST owners do a pedal mod to raise it a bit? It's too low to properly heel toe.

I've seen a few people get a 3D printed pedal spacer, FiST owners too. Can usually find one for about $20.