Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So I'm looking at a 2012 GTI and I have a question the seller couldn't answer: how much less pussy will I attract whilst driving it? Quantify, if possible. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol seriously why are you shifting from 3rd to 6th lmao

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

read a fiesta st review on jalopnik that said the fiesta st is better than the focus st: all the fun but for less money and less bulky. also said that if you want the extra room you should be buying a wrx anyways :psyduck:

can someone validate these statements as i was looking at the focus st but maybe i want the fiesta st?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hey does anyone have the email address and or phone number to the exec at subaru who thought canceling the wrx hatchback was a good idea? thanks in advance.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

how hard is it to find an oxford white focus st? apparently pretty hard! nobody in this region has one for sale. i'll let my credit union's car buying service deal with it instead. ugh.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

just signed the paperwork on my new 2015 focus st in oxford white. yay!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ilkhan posted:

Another sucker for the 0%/1000cashback offer?

actually i took the ford $2000 incentive and got .9% from my bank. win-win. :thumbsup:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ilkhan posted:

Nice.
Color/specs?

Im picking it up tomorrow (having it delivered... thanks ford concierge!) but it's this:

Base package + machined aluminum wheels in oxford white

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Defghanistan posted:

Very beautiful, congrats!

Thanks! Having never owned anything with more than 115hp im sure i'll be in a ditch in no time!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bob A Feet posted:

Enjoy your torque steer and speeding tickets!

yes that too :vince:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Finally got my new FoST home. The stock seats are way more comfortable to me than the recaros. And holy poo poo is it fun.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Ferret King posted:

So the goofy gauges in the ST aren't accurate enough?

the fiesta doesn't have them

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

well if you all lived in the sun blasted hellscape i call home where the temperature never drops below a million degrees your god damned oil temp is ready to get at turnover.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I wonder if letting it run on a dyno first would give a more favorable oil temp.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

40x is that confirmed? The reporting I read didn't give me much confidence we have the true severity of the crime. I think I read "10 to 40" times which, while being egregious either way, is quite a big difference.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 24, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wow. hosed up.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

who cares about resale if you plan to daily drive a car for 15 years/into the ground? The GTI outlook has never been better! (says a guy who just bought a FoST)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cross-posted from Terrible Car Stuff thread:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"Ever since I rode a motorcycle what's the point of driving anything with more than 40hp." -Goons in the terrible car stuff thread talking about the focus st.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Ah, are you talking about putting those over the hard plastic over on the passenger side? That's a good idea, but that particular glare doesn't really bother me. What I'm complaining about is seeing the gauge binnacle and everything else directly in front of me at times. Have you noticed that as well?

What year do you have? My 15 doesn't have any glare whatsoever.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

the only people who notice me in my fost are attractive women who point and laugh at the man driving a "ford focus." :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Optimus Subprime posted:

I got a honk of respect and questions about fost randomly on the street.

I forgot to mention the other group that notices me are assholes who don't let me over/generally think their leased 320i entitles them to king of the road status.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Well it has a drift button. What other car has a drift button?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My FoST was US$25k @ .99% (FCU loan lol) out the door in September.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It is pretty easy to get the tires to spin from first in my FoST.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You couldn't get pulled over in a Focus (ST or no) if you crushed the skulls of 2,000 white babies with those stock 18" alloy wheels. The very idea that a ford hatchback would approach the speed limit, let alone exceed it, is antithetical to everything Americans know about automobiles.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Christobevii3 posted:

If you have only driven the turbo model the R-spec and Rally improved the shifting, steering ratios, and stiffened up the suspension. it really isn't fair to only drive the VT and say it is a elantra without trying the others first. Tuned up and what not it probably will not be 100% as fast as a mazda speed 3 but the surgery turbo will make it feel fast versus the smoothness of the ST. I had the same issues with the fiesta (too small) and focus (expensive and same turn ratio as my long bed chevy). It is worth a look at least.

Focus ST is the same price as an MS3 and a mere 3 feet longer turning radius. You can't be serious.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 3, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

No. 6 posted:

My wife is going to start working in an office again (as opposed from home) and we're finally going to need a second car. This would be for me to drive when I can't use my motorcycle.

I really want a new Abarth 5 speed. How crazy am I to buy this car? I'd be putting around 6,000 miles a year on it.

My understanding is that driving it is less fun than it should be and it's not a very good value.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

No. 6 posted:

Other options then? Not a huge fan of Mini. I kinda like the Civic Si coupe or Type R (who knows when that will get here or the price).

I like GTI/Type R, FiST/FoST and Mazdaspeed3. The Civic Si/Type R are supposed to both be great, as well. I can't imagine you'd be unhappy with any of them. Perhaps the Fiesta is a little small. WRX doesn't come in a hatch anymore, alas, but is obviously still great.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GutBomb posted:

What is the issue with the red brake calipers?

Speaking of which:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/mgp-brake-caliper-cover-set-with-st-logo-focus-st-2013-2016/p/BCCST-V/

lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spotted a FiST today and when I glanced at the driver he gave me, in my FoST, the ST thumbs up. :thumbsup:

This is my first such salute since I got the thing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

leica posted:

Why the hell are Volvo C30's so drat expensive? Are they that good or just over priced?

[e] Looks like I might as well just get a drat Focus or Mazda3 apparently, but drat the C30 is cool looking.

It's a Volvo so it has every sensor and gadget you can imagine to keep you from danger.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Christobevii3 posted:

Get some better tires and look at suspension upgrades. They will of course void the factory warranty on those parts but doesn't really matter since you'll have the originals and those parts typically don't fail easily. Ford racing does have factory tune options that lower your warranty to 36,000 miles for quite a big power increase.

ST performance upgrade package from Ford is the Mountune 275 kit.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 19, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It only affects the Fiesta and not the Focus?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Larrymer posted:

Who? I feel like there was one random dude who mentioned it in a forum post and everybody is taking it as gospel. Cars aren't even in people's loving hands yet. If a guy worked at Ford and said that pre release, then he's either incredibly dumb and doesn't value his job, or fake posting poo poo.

Edit: guess the Jalop article says something similar. Well, that sucks. I'm old enough at this point that I probably wouldn't mod a car like that anyway. Also old enough to not buy a 36k focus. :)

Old enough to not drive a car with a Dorift-o Mode™.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have to say that, while the RS looks like ten kinds of fun, from a practical, single DD sort of perspective the Golf R is quite a bit more appealing. I'm getting old.

What you, as a grown man, don't want to drive a NITROUS BLUE car wherever you go?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Please post your recommendations for a sun screen that isn't bullshit. Thanks in advance.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was honestly thinking someone may have invented something better than foil over cardboard panels by the year 2016.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was thinking foil over memory foam because everybody is using memory foam in their products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Locator posted:

As an Arizona person, I get pissed off when they won't let me get cloth seats in the higher trim levels. The reason I have a ST2 package Focus is because of that bullshit. Leather seats in the Arizona summer are brutal.

ST2 is partial leather is it not? :smug: