Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Phone posted:

And guess what! The service writer was correct and your uncle isn't Smokey Yunick.

I pretty much drove my 11 Golf TDI just like my previous car. Breakin periods are for cars that had poo poo tolerances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

What is the real excuse why people ignore what the engineers put into the owner's manual for cars? If the owner's manual says drive it under 4k RPM and never floor it for the first one thousand miles and limited sustained RPMs (like mine did) what reason does someone have to go 'nah' and ignore it? I don't understand it at all, it's in the manufacturer's best interest to keep your car running like it's supposed to. You might want to trade that car in on a new model and then they can make even more money off your car later. They want it to be running properly and breaking in properly just like the owner would.

I haven't heard a real reason why someone should ignore the vehicle's engineer's instructions. Besides the bullshit "One neat trick found out by a school teacher! Smokey Yunick hates her!!!!!" garbage.

Never said how I drove it did I? I said I drive it just like how I drove my last car. What do I give a poo poo, I can afford to have the warranty out to 100k and 7 years, at which point I'll have become bored with it anyway and be trading it in :) Not everyone drives a car for 20 years. The fuel pump and DPF will poo poo out long before I ever have engine troubles.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bob A Feet posted:

Oil change arguments are hilarious. Congrats, your 1000 mile discrepancy won't manifest itself until probably 150,000 miles from now.

I wonder when that guy with the 3 million mile Volvo did the first oil change? For that matter, how the gently caress do you actually drive 3 million miles. That poo poo averages out to almost 68 THOUSAND miles per year for the 47 years the car has been on the road. That's some serious hardcore driving. That is like a 4 hour commute every single day for 47 years. How do you not kill yourself doing that?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bob A Feet posted:

About to drive 5 hours to Atlanta this weekend. I really wish the ST had a right arm rest. :negative:

After having driven my 04.5 GLI without an arm rest for 6 years and now having one in my TDI, it makes a huge difference. I kept a coffee cup with a shammy container in the cupholder as a makeshift armrest.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

akarin posted:

yeah the Volvo has power, but it's just too smooth to have any fun with. the torqueband is pretty sharp in low rpm, but plateaus quickly and stays there until a steady drop-off around 5k. doesn't really help that I have it in an automatic transmission either.

I love the glass hatch - it feels amazing too.

Just looking at it, it seems like there is a lot of wasted space on the hatch. How wide is the actual opening?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Phone posted:

The rear glass. Great concept and it looks good, but the execution misses the purpose of having a hatchback.

You know how people are like "I put a baby grand in my Honda Fit!"? It's the polar opposite with the C30, more like "I went to the grocery store and had 3 bags worth of groceries and they all fit in the hatch! I didn't have to put one bag in the passenger seat!"

That's what I thought. So far the biggest thing I've managed to wedge in mine is a hood for my bug.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

akarin posted:

Well the rear seats fold down and the largest thing I've fit into it was a bicycle. My primary vehicle is a motorcycle, so not having a lot of storage space is normal to me. The car has plenty of space for me, but objectively I can understand how it might be cramped for others.

edit: also I have this in the trunk, and it takes up a bit of room. http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Basslink-200-Watt-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B000063TJY/

Part of the deal I made with the dealership when I bought my car was to have the custom stereo removed from my old car and put in the new car. This also included a custom made encloser that goes behind the wheelwell. I like having a sub -and- trunk space :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Atmus posted:

I had a thing happen with mine. I had a small tire puncture that I didn't feel like fixing myself, so I let the dealership do it. They removed the tire, put a kevlar patch over the hole, and put a plug in it, remounted and balanced everything just fine.

What makes this a story is that the service tech dropped his phone in my car. The manager called me up and I went out to look for it, but couldn't find it. I went to my cousin's house later and heard the ringtone, but still couldn't find it, and the manager had left for the day so I couldn't get her to keep calling it. About a half hour later, the tech and his girlfriend show up at my cousin's house as they have apparently been tracking the phone the whole time, chasing me down. I guess they even called the cops to find out what to do, which was kind of weird to hear, but whatever. The phone was in the usual place between the seat and center console, and I found a set of keys I had lost there as well, so I guess it was all worth it in the end.

I was expecting to hear the phone was in the tire.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Phone posted:

It's not the electric steering, it's the rear suspension. The twisted beam shifts from side to side and it takes a while to go from like full passenger to full driver in a left turn to right turn transition.

I've probably ranted about it before, but the Fiesta would be the best FWD car if it had the multi-link rear suspension from the Focus. Check my other posts in this thread.

I noticed this when I got my Golf after having the GLI with the lovely trailing arm suspension. The Golf suspension is just so much quicker doing any sort of turns. I do miss my Recarros though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Recaros are awesome, but not 10% increase to the cost of the car awesome.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So I put my winter wheels/tires on yesterday. Now my car is a sad soft couch :( Going from 235/35 19 to a 195/65/15 suuuuuuuuuuuucks. But I didn't want to take any chances with the all seasons after having a few really sketchy drives home last season. It's also supposed to be a really lovely winter this year.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

triple clutcher posted:

500 Abarth or Turbo? Not quite as practical as the Fiesta, but seems to do quirky in spades.

The Recaros look nice, but I'm not sure they're worth the $2k. Even with the heated mirrors ( why can't I get them separately :arghfist::mad: ).

I pulled up next to an Abarth a few weeks ago, and that thing is super tiny compared to my Golf. Not Smartcar tiny, but still smaller than I'd feel like driving every day.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BigBadBrewsta posted:

The Fiesta ST is really nicely equipped, and even with the Recaros, it's a very fun car with most of the major comforts for under $24k. You could certainly drop a lot more coin on many cars that are a lot less fun or poorly equipped.

Compare that to the SE Manual EcoBoost package. Yes, having a uniquely fun engine would be pretty sweet (and the mileage is phenomenal), but like everyone else pointed out: it would be absolute poverty spec. It all depends on what your priorities are... eventually the novelty of the engine would wear off and you're driving around town in a very basic sub-compact. It is a cheap lease and your fuel costs would be very low, but you've basically given up everything to get a unique powertrain. To me, I don't care how wacky or unique a powertrain is, it's not worth giving up creature comforts.

But, that's just one man's opinion. Plenty of AI'ers drive around in minimalist interiors with extremely stiff suspensions because go-fast bits are more important than comfort. Everyone has different priorities.

The rate gas is going down and diesel isn't I've been tempted to try to find a GolfR lately.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 13, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
After driving in this morning, I'm not sure I need an R. Pretty sure I'd end up with a whole lot of tickets.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Snow tires man. These Conti Winter Extremes I have are absolutely fantastic. It won't be above freezing here until Tuesday.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

echobucket posted:

Now that there's a Focus ST and a Fiesta ST, I sure wish people would say which one they have in posts. *pet peeve*

Meh, they're the same thing, just a couple extra inches. :smaug:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I dropped down to spare size which is 15", wheels tires roadhazard all in was like 700 and it came with a 50 dollar gift card. Build it on tire rack, print it out and take it to discount tire and they'll match it. Saved me close to 150 bucks doing it that way over just walking in the store.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well hell. Looks like I got another year before the new Golf R.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/2014/0108/Volkswagen-says-the-Golf-R-will-hit-roads-in-2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I don't suggest it. I got caught out -one- time on my Goodyear F1s and thought I was going to die.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

jfreder posted:

Ultimately the car won't keep summer tires. It is probably too much of a gamble to hope we don't get snow the rest of the season with it only being mid January, though. The thing I have been wondering is whether she should get wheels+snows or just have some all-seasons put on the stock wheels. Are low profile all-seasons worth it?

Buy the smallest set of steelies you can jam on there. I run 19s summer and 15s winter. Just remember, you're much more likely to hit a curb/giant pothole in the winter than in the summer.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sepist posted:

I wish I had a place to store the summer tires :( We have been driving the jeep as much as possible but today's snow wasn't supposed to be here until later, so now I have to drive home on the F1's in 6 inches of snow.

You gonna die.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sepist posted:

5 miles home, didn't die! gently caress these tires in the snow though, gotta figure out where I can store these rims

The one time I got stuck out on my F1s I was lucky and had already replaced the rears with all seasons. So I only had problems start and stopping but didn't have to worry too much about spinning. Still the longest commute I've ever had.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yay, I get my TDI back today just in time for tomorrow's giant snowstorm. gently caress driving this Chrysler 200 with absolutely lovely tires on it in the snow. Body shop got it done a full day early.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My old GLI Recarros were comfy as hell, although they made your rear end sweat like crazy cause of the really tight weave.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I never get why people put snows on the stock wheels. A set of steelies and TPMS aren't that expensive, and then you get to drop down a size or two for that sweet, sweet cushy sidewall.

This actually worked out for me on this car. When I go to trade up to the R next year, I'll be able to put my brand new stock wheels and tires back on the car to trade it in. They have like 1200 miles on them. Have been sitting in the garage for the last 2 1/2 years :) Sadly, my 15" steelies won't fit on the R. Should be able to sell em for a slight loss though as they should only have like 6k miles on them when they come off. Just need to decide if I want to use the stock 18"s for winter or sell those cause I'm gonna put my current 19"s on the R. I likes my Petrols.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
APR flash.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Kill-9 posted:

More 'not Ford' talk. :)

I got a new toy last week.

The first thing I did was get it tinted then dipped the wheels red to match the trim.

It was the last 2013 on the dealer lot and they wanted it gone. I got it for a steal loaded with upgraded leather interior with heated seats, Beats sound system, 17" wheels, sunroof, nav, and more I've already forgotten. I think I did really well. I went into the dealer looking at a base model 500, the Pop. My wife already has a Golf R(the nose is in the second pic above) so I was looking for a cheap commuter to replace my 25 year old Range Rover(the Classic will remain my camping and hauling vehicle). I didn't need another hot hatch. I looked at the Fiat, the Fiesta, and even the Leaf. I dropped by the dealer a week later for a second look at the Pop and in passing asked about the Abarth. The price they quoted was just a bit out of my budget. I ended up leaving without buying anything. The dealer called me a couple days later and said what price did it take for me to buy the Abarth. They met my, what I thought was a joke, price. Two hours later I drove home in it.

My wife's car is technically faster but the Abarth sure _feels_ faster and is a real blast to drive. I know it's cliche but it handles like it's on rails. I've never, in nearly 30 years of driving, owned a FWD car and it takes a slightly different driving style but I'm getting used to it. And the exhaust note is captivating. Whatever engineer convinced Fiat/Chrylser to drop the muffler for 2013 and on needs to be thanked. That backfire/afterfire popping under acceleration never gets old.

Eventually I'd like to drop/level it. I'm not completely sold on the forward rake they have from the factory. I'd like to fill the wheel wells a bit better but not at the cost of handling. I don't want 'stance' for stance's sake. Also I'm shopping around at different tunes. There's a lot going on in that area right now for these and figuring out what's the 'best' is a bit tough.

I pulled up next to an Abarth a few weeks ago and my god it seemed like it was half the size of my Golf. Does it at least feel bigger than it seems?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've never understood the obsession with three door hatches.

edit: not making GBS threads on your car at all, it looks great. But the whole thing with anything that comes over is like "WHY DIDN'T THEY BRING THE THREE DOOR???" and I don't even get it. I moved from the 1-Series to the Focus ST in part to get the two extra doors.

People are losing their god damned minds because the '15 R is 4 door only. The only reason my current Golf is 2dr is because I got an awesome deal on it and didn't really care how many doors it had. Although somehow it costs me 10 bucks more for insurance because it is missing 2 of the doors.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's not just fitting people back there. If you want to use your rear seat to carry pretty much anything, and you're not dropping the seats and loading through the hatch, rear doors make it worlds easier, and some stuff just won't fit at all between a folded front seat and the single door.

This is the reason my 2dr isn't that big a deal. I almost never have the seats up since I haul so much crap around on a regular basis. So far my best is 7 complete desktops/monitors for a deployment. Some of it spilled into the passenger seat though :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The really inconvenient thing about hauling poo poo in the Focus is that the cargo cover is really bulky and there's nowhere good to put it. Usually I can leave it at home or whatever, but that's not always possible.

My cargo cover has been hanging on the wall in the garage since I bought the car. I need to order heater channels for my bug, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to remove the passenger seat to get them in the car.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

Yes it is. It's a great engine. It's tuned to produce a shitload of torque at around 2.5k rpm which makes it hilarious fun.

Clarkson was right about the engine in his review of the mk5 gti. There really isn't a wrong gear to be in at any speed for the most part.

Handling is exceptional for a FWD vehicle as well even if it likes to set the tires on fire in the first few gears with traction control turned off.

I often feel that 5th gear is pointless in both my current TDI and my old 1.8t. It's like all they did was push everything closer together and make 5th into 6th. If I'm passing I'm going from 6th to 3rd and when cruising I pretty much always just go 4-6.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

The 2.0T seems to have enough grunt that it has its uses. I'm using it right now for cruising and lazy passing on the two lane 100km/h roads. I do mainly 6-4 though for most cases.

If anything 1st is annoying on this car. Its a really short gear and you want to immediately be out of it to get some speed, but starting in second requires too much clutch. It does make nice noises though :allears:

I'm waiting for some more info to come out about the new 2.0t in the R. All I've heard so far is bigger turbo and different head.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How badly am I going to get hosed when I go to buy my '15 Golf R?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

The ESP in my Audi can be pretty annoying in low traction situations like snow. Mainly because it's decision to fire a brake on one side or reduce the throttle is acting counter to the counter measures I'm already instinctively taking to control things.

I blame the misunderstanding to years of driving FWD, AWD, and RWD cars with no electronic assistance at all. I have a bag of tricks I do to drive each type through slippery stuff but it's expecting me to just sit back and let it work.

I can't not do these tricks at this point because it's instinct so me and ESP fight until I remember to turn it off.

That's what is going to be so awesome on the new R. You can fully 100% disable the nanny system.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why not do something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_9gq1l9wglr_b

Heh, this led me to laser jammers which then led me to figuring out if it's legal here. Nope not legal in CO.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 2, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Atmus posted:

Yeah, you wouldn't want to break the law while you are... breaking the law.

No no. I'm talking about the hidden plate mounts. I don't run a front plate, but at times it is needed. Like parking downtown where all the metermaids will ticket you for not having one. I don't park downtown so it's not an issue for me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Any of you Euro chaps pick up the new R yet? Curious as to what size spare it comes with. Need to decide my tire/wheel situation when I go to buy one. I know my current snows won't fit, but I'm wondering if I'm better off just using the stock 18s it comes with and getting it with all seasons and putting some sticky summer rubber on my current 19s, or upgrading to the 19s with summers and just buy winter 19s for my current wheels.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Jalopnik posted a couple of days ago that folks at subaru are already saying that a hatchback WRX is under consideration. Didn't take long.

Here's to hoping it's as hideous as the last one.

I still can't get over the fact that Subaru named it's top level car after an eyesore and VD.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VWoA sold the A3 hatch in America for years and it was completely unsuccessful. What do you think they should do differently? Continue to push cars that people don't buy?

I actually looked into the A3 hatch when I bought my Golf, but the only way to get awd was with amanualautomatic, so that pretty much ended that. Plus I still think the Golf is a better looking car than the A3 hatch is/was. There's just something about it that doesn't look right.

I must have my third pedal. It's also why I completely ignored the 08 .:R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Got the first spring wax and wash. Poor girl, she's on borrowed time. 8 months until the new R comes out.

Bonus, the original hot hatch, now in scrap metal form.