Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

No Wave posted:

My understanding is that they're the best knife at the price point. And significantly better than 98% of the knives that people in America use. Isn't it likely that it would constitute a huge step up for almost anyone who buys them?

Not like this knife needs more support, but. I've used my Victorinox around a lot of people, and the only people who aren't completely amazed are WASPs who can afford to have their lovely knives professionally sharpened on a regular basis. For the vast majority of households the Victorinox is a look at the world of real chef's knives, at Wal-Mart prices. A+ #1 recommendation for all* starters.

My dad knew how to use a whetstone, so I'm familiar with the range up to shaving sharp blades. Pulling an Accusharp across my Victorinox is redneck-style "good enough". It's like having a "sharp" pocketknife- it's not shaving sharp, but it actually does the cutting you need done. Yes, the Victorinox/Accusharp sucks for tomatoes, but until you have enough experience to know the difference between the knife causing the issue and your technique causing the issue, I'd still vote 'nox.

*Unless you have the balls to go Chinese cleaver, or if you're thinking Santoku/gyuto. When I'm ready to get a "real" knife, I think I'm going cleaver. Hacking veggies then transporting them to the pan is so :awesome:

Having said all that, is it really worth it to recommend stepping up in paring knives? I got the Victorinox parer in a combo pack, and I like it even more than the chef's knife. Admittedly all I tend to pull it out for is rough chopping garlic or... paring potatoes or whatever, but it's become my best buddy. Maybe that's just my inner redneck being so excited that a cheap knife does a decent job. The handle is small for my bear-mitts, but I find it's a good shape to wedge in my fingers and go to town, never had an issue. Seems like the perfect compliment to a good starter knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

mindphlux posted:

this must be what the crazy people who own like 20 guns feel like

heh heh but it's not crazy when it's cooking knives right guys???? righttttt?????

With guns you have your rifle, that's fine. But you could also get a shotgun. And your cousin knows a guy who can get an AR-15 for cheap, so that's a must. And you've always wanted to try a bolt-action sniper so you get a WWII piece. And ooh, a guy knows a guy that can get an AK that's modded to be legal. But you couldn't get an AK, that would just be... dirty...

So you've got your chef's knife, that's cool. But you always wanted to try a Chinese cleaver. But that was a stainless steel, the carbon would be a lot of fun to play with. And I am thinking about cooking some fish so maybe I can get one of those crazy Japanese katana things. Ooh, that's a drat pretty Japanese knife. But that's so expensive... getting that would just be.... dirty...

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

The whole high-end paring knife thing is something fairly unique to this thread.

"Ah". How my cheap paring knife makes me feel:

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

mindphlux posted:

I've been wanting a sig 229 for a while now, I'm worried I'm just going to go off the deep end...
Got to shoot a Sig AR15 equivalent (516?). It's always bad when you walk away thinking a product is worth the asking price.

GrAviTy84 posted:

yanagi's arent like AK's. AKs are like...idk, maybe a wa deba.

yanagi's are like buying an H&K. Wow so pretty, so awesome, so...expensive.

I was making a more general point and not trying to compare yanagi/ak. But how about :

.22 rifle : Victorinox :: AK-47 : Chinese cleaver

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Finally got a Sharpmaker.

^This is what the instructional DVD looks like.

Since I had watched some YouTube videos beforehand I went ahead and did all 4 steps on a knife (plus the 30-degree to whittle away the shoulders as it's a fat knife). Watching the DVD, apparently step 2 is sufficient to shave off your arm hair.

There are two steps available, past shaving hair. Fillet of paper, anyone?

So it wasn't until today that I realized how cheap my cutting board is. Guess that's my next purchase.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

Cheap isn't always bad:

Yes, but what is the plastic rectangle for?

wood supremacy

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

martinlutherbling posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent knife skills videos on youtube? Most of the ones I've found are intended for total beginners (not that I'm an expert, but I don't need to be told not to hold my fingers under the blade), and generally focus on rock chopping with Western style blades.

Said a million times before but hey: The celebrity chef era means one good way is to find some cook you're inspired by and look them up. Most of them have learned to speak to the total beginner just to include everyone ($$$), but the skills are there for your enjoyment.

Jacques Pepin, for the French Chef's Knife, and all-around nice guy to know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5h1pDHhzs (how to not suck at garlic)
-The KQED series Essential Pepin is gently caress beginners, good place to see impossible old recipes and odd techniques
-Thomas Keller also has stuff online, and I learned proper onion dicing from Gordon Ramsay

Martin Yan, for the Chinese Cleaver (he loves to ham it up, it's okay to skip forward):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__79jxIZaj4 (butchering a chicken in <20 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-UUWWig-pU (vegetable art)
-Martin was in a variety of public broadcast shows including "Yan Can Cook", you can find tons of clips all over

Masaharu Morimoto, for a variety of custom-forged samurai wonders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLJ71ML0Ryc (how fish)
-There's an odd lack of video clips online, although he's in lots of shows, and has some cool books
-It's also easy to look up sushi videos, and that's where the bulk of the Japanese knife skill videos are

Sure there's a million random people on YouTube who can show you insane skills, but as people have noted it's hard to know whether you can trust them, and they're not as entertaining as my man Pepin.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

black.lion posted:

I've only skimmed a few pages of this thread, but can I get a summary of the Global hate? I got a Global 7" Chef's knife as a gift a couple years back and I really like it, it seems sharp as hell and I'm a big fan of the single-piece-of-metal look and the feel of the handle. But I am a baker/dessert chef so I don't have much cause to use it, and before that my knife experience is using my head chef's [obscure Japanese knife maker idk] which had a round bamboo (I think) handle and I hated it.

Really what I'm asking is for a list of all the reasons I should be ashamed to love my Global, signed a guy who basically only cuts fruit.

There's a few factors. One, yes they can be pricey, but it was worse when they just came on the scene and had to be smuggled across the sea, it's not as bad now. This expansion put global in that odd pro-Japanese but catering to Westerners column, which some people don't like on principle alone.

On reliability. When Global first came on the scene nobody knew how to handle Japanese knives. They were so thin and brittle that people were snapping their super-expensive knives, and global had to start Westernizing their knives for this reason. In some circles people don't know about the second half, so they still think they're overpriced junk.

That's intertwined with the celebrity/weeaboo factor. When America's celebrity chefs were experiencing a revival of Asian cuisine a while back (see: Iron Chef, Morimoto) they wanted these crazy super-sharp knives the Asian sushi chefs were so fond of. Global became a big name in the hands of Anthony Bourdain and etc. So a lot of people just got the knives to follow the people on TV, and when they did the knives often shattered from misuse.

As of right now, if high-end Wusthof is Mercedes and patternend Shun is Lexus, then Global is a Rolls. Or something. The usual arguments apply- it's too expensive, ergonomics are not for everyone, etc.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

black.lion posted:

e2: So for my own edification, Globals are a bit thicker/sturdier than other Japanese supersharp knives, I assume the tradeoff being they don't hold as nice an edge for as long? This is the "Westernizing" you speak of? I want to know so if my head chef and I ever get into a knife fight I'll know that I can break his knife in twain with mine based on pure American brute force.

Depends on the knife, you have to check that specific model. Generally, some models were made a bit thicker/differently to handle chopping instead of push-cuts, and there was an increase in double-bevel or western-style edges. This isn't true across the board, but the general idea is that any given global now has some thought put into how a gai-jin is going to wave it around their giant kitchen with their fat arms. Trying to hack through bone with your santoku is still a terrible idea, and Japanese knives still tend to be more delicate than their Western counterparts.

I'd say Shun and TojiroDP are your go-to recommendations for "not-global".

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

americong posted:

Being incredibly boring as I am, I just wasn't sold enough on the Eastern knives available and went with a Victorinox 8 incher and a Victorinox paring.

Now, to see whether I can keep nice knives nice!

Aside from someone going with the CCK cleaver (also a good idea, but higher maintenance) this really has been an incredible investment, and for a beginner I can't recommend anything else (except maybe the Tojiro? If you really want to spend a couple extra bucks to feel better about your life).

I went with a buddy to handle some high-end knives at a Williams-Sonoma and did the bullshitting routine for like an hour, he was the front man and I was just kind of sliding in to get a quick impression. I handled Globals and Shuns and some high-end Wusthof. At the end of the day, I'm sticking to the 'Nox.

What do I cook to justify a better knife? I know the Shun would absolutely blow away my 'Nox in terms of edge retention and such. But right now I live with a veggie roommate, so virtually all my knife work is potatoes and onions. And while it would be so lovely to slide through those veggies like butter with a high end knife, honestly I don't need it. And while I'm still living with a roommate who refuses to learn to hone a knife after a year and still randomly leaves it dirty, the 'Nox will take any abuse that's thrown at it. I mean what's the worst that could happen? It's $25 for a new one.

If I want something fancy, I check my hone, maybe run her through the Sharpmaker if it's been a while, and I've never had a job I couldn't do to the level of satisfaction of two professionals in a bro apartment. The nice little trick to the 'Nox paring is that it's easy to get shaving-sharp as it's virtually two-dimensional to begin with, so I'm never really lacking if I want to do some precision work. But I can also twist the eyes off a 'tater like I'm using a prison shiv because this cheap bastard keeps on giving.

My only reservations include that the 'Nox does feel a little fat for me. This is probably due to a combination of only-okay edge retention and my eventual preference for something really delicate and Japanese. Also, I'm one of those people who handles a Global and it absolutely melts into my hand. The moment I tried some cuts with a global I actually let out a wistful sigh. If I ever cheat on my 'Nox it's going to be with some cute little Asian.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

americong posted:

I should get something to hone it with, but based on what you're saying it seems like my victorinox care regimen (clean and dry it after cutting and stick it in the clamshell blade guard) will be plety, so I'm glad

actually, anyone have opinions on those clamshells?

This is correct. The 'Nox will withstand a lot of abuse as it is quality stainless. The handle doesn't even need consideration. As long as you rinse and towel it after each use you're fine. From my experience the 'Nox could use a honing almost daily (or more for precision jobs). With experience you will feel it when that fat spine hits some lag going through items. Hell just knock the knife against another stainless if you have to, she'll be fine.

Clamshells are okay, from experience. But most have cheap rubber grips that WILL stain the blade, use a cheap sticker to fix that. But if your living arrangements prevent getting a wooden mag bar, go straight for a knife roll. You should immediately pair the 'Nox Chef with the Paring, and they need to travel together. I used to wrap my paring against the clamshell with a towel. Do yourself a favor, get your buddies a nice home. Slap in a Goodwill serrated knife, maybe a specialty knife if you deal with specific proteins frequently, and you've got a professional-quality set to last you for years. All for less than the cost of one next-step-up chef's knife.

Between these posts I grabbed a 'Nox santoku, and my preference for cute little Asians grows. I just push-cut a whole stewpot worth of cabbage and celery and carrots like it was second nature. Damnit.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

guppy posted:

- Kind of a scummy, borderline pyramid scheme company, consider not giving them money

Honestly all the still-doing-door-to-door-sales companies are. Pretending not to be home is a good bet.

That said. I know households that have used Cutco knives for decades and swear by them. Often times, these people are former slaves themselves, but a comparison to Avon or etc isn't bad. The knives aren't good, they're not a value, but they're not total crap either. Get a utility knife, shears, steak knives, or whatever and they will serve you well. Should you get an actual chef's knife from them? Bwahahano.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Pile of Kittens posted:

I know this isn't exactly the right thread for this, but sewing people know nothing about steel and edges so I thought I'd ask here. I'm looking to buy another pair of scissors for sewing as my Mundial shears are too big for tight corners. Scissors are just a couple of knives with chisel edges, right?

We're used to kitchen shears whose job is to cut twine and crack bones. So uh. But I've had a lot of relatives into various crafts, and no seriously you need good hobbyist scissors that specialize in whatever task you're doing. The orange handled ones seem popular- Fiskar?

Theoretically you're right they're just knives set to pivot. But the application you're using them for changes a lot of variables.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

My parents sent me a care package for my first apartment, and my dad tossed in a 3-pack of knives. What are these things used for (are they all paring knives), and are they quality?

For anyone who hasn't seen, the Wusthof "gourmet" line is the gift set staple you can find at Macy's or whatever. They're nothing like the "real" Wusthof knives you've heard about. They're not bad, but they're more Victorinox/Tojiro than Shun/Global.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Carbon knives aren't tougher, they're generally more fragile. They hold a wicked edge, and are my go to protein knives. Not vulnerable to moisture or acid at all really, just wipe your knife often enough, and let that patina develop.

Overused but, Japanese fish knives are generally high-carbon.

If you can wipe your knife after every use like it's an OCD tick, high-carbon is better. If you get lazy once in a while, stainless steel may and will save your rear end.

e: Or do the professional thing and just keep a folded towel to one side of the board, and part of the motion of putting down the knife is wiping it.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 26, 2014

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

GigaFool posted:

Yeah, I hated Globals when I didn't know how to hold a knife. My mom has a few, and I still don't like them, but they're a lot more usable if you pinch the blade.

I have mutant, giant, I-hate-how-thin-phones-are hands. A global feels so drat good it makes me sick.

If you don't know how to handle a knife, stick to the 'Nox. You're just going to ruin the Global, if you haven't already. I'd say stick it in a safe, practice with something you can beat up, and only pull it out to pretend you still use it. Someday, when your kung-fu doesn't shame famry, get the global a professional resharpening and give it a serious try.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You hear that everyone? If you don't...

Does anyone know when this became a Thing To Do? Format of post: Lead in with a nudge, such as "you hear that guys". Then extend a person's words far beyond their intent, with the goal of showing that if those statements were made a universal imperative, then the statement would be ridiculous. Follow up with a universal declaration of hatred for a class of people.

Example: "See this guy over here saying it's okay to use plastic cutting boards? Yeah let's just tell every professional kitchen in the world to throw out wood cutting boards because apparently we all missed something. I wish everyone like him would die in a hole and take their fedoras with them."

It's that easy!

Point being, if someone doesn't know enough to take care of a set of knives, they really shouldn't be handling Globals (or high-end Wusthof or whatever). Car metaphor: someone who admits they couldn't pass a driving test is maybe not qualified to evaluate a Ferrari. My first advice would be getting more lessons, not turning down the Ferrari.

blista compact posted:

210 or 240 Tojiro dp? I know, I know personal preference, but I'm moving from Target random crap knife to this.
I'm leaning toward the 240 and I'll just adjust to the new length. 57 or 70 are the prices on Amazon right now:
http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou-8-2-21cm/dp/B000UAPQGS/ref=pd_sim_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=13AWRHZSFTYGD5H9K5M5

Knife length advice never changes.

The usual debate is 8"/10"/12", this is closer to 8" vs 9". If you care about cost I don't see why the 8"/210 would be disabling, if cost isn't an issue I don't see why 9"/240 would be that much harder to use.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Salsa McManus posted:

How do you guys measure/know the angle to sharpen at or do you just kind of learn it with time and practice like most things? At the local Japanese market they had some miniature grinding and finishing stones for which I assume would be setup for Japanese angles? I can't read the Japanese so I cannot say for sure.

Breakdown just because I'm avoiding doing work atm, in ascending difficulty:
-Tools that do it for you (too much). Those crappy pull-through knife sharpeners they sell in every store will at least vaguely shape an edge toward an angle.
-Tools that do it for you (the right way). The Spyderco Sharpmaker from OP is basically a stand that holds ceramic rods, such that your only job is to hold the knife vertical while you sharpen it. Vertical is easy. This is a super awesome tool, especially if you also need to do pocket knives or whatever- you can get shaving-sharp edges with five minutes of practice.
-Magnetic blade guides. Yes, these are a thing. Just snap it onto your knife and voila, using a whetstone is no longer reserved for samurai with decades of training.
-Sheet of paper method. Take a sheet of paper, and fold the top-right corner down until it you get a diagonal, that's 45 degrees. Now fold the whole thing around the point, that's 22.5 degrees for a decent Euro edge. Again, 11.25 degrees which is close to a Japanese edge. See below.
-The journeyman method, or imitate the paper method. Hold your knife perpendicular to the surface. That's 90 degrees. Halfway over going diagonal is 45, halfway is 22, halfway again is 11. Even very experienced people should do this once in a while to calibrate.
-Enter into an apprenticeship with a samurai swordmaker for a decade in order to learn how to use a whetstone properly, you pleb. (Or just find a dad / crazy army uncle / gun and knife store where the people will shoot the poo poo with you while you learn.)
-Bonus, how to learn to use whetstones: Use a marker on the edge, any place that has marker left didn't touch the stone. Start with those crappy loaner knives at the back of the drawer, work up to your pocket knives, then graduate to real knives.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

shankerz posted:

I almost pissed my pants when I read that. A sword by this compaby would also get the job done. Be a little awkward welding it in the kitchen.

Right tool for the job and whatnot, Tsukiji.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Koivunen posted:

I understand that this is razor sharp, but I'm a careful person by nature and I've only cut myself with a knife once, and it wasn't a bad cut. If I'm cautious I'll be fine, right?

Not To Be A Dick or Nothing But(tm)! The whole point of this thread, is that anyone who thinks this way is a danger to society, so stop listening to them. Even yourself. Read the thread more.

Here's some reasons why this is a bad way of thinking so that I'm not just a dick telling you to lurk moar:

Think about what your "safe" knife would do if you actually wanted to cut yourself with it. Think how hard you'd have to try, and how messy it would be. Now realize that humans are just as soft as any other protein, so you've been having to press exactly that hard to mangle your food all along. Your food deserves a clean death.

Millions of people, every day, work long hours at jobs that require sharp knives. People in fish markets, cooks, whomever. The vast majority of these people, even working double shifts when they're tired, rarely ever cut themselves. Learn proper technique, and you'll be fine.

There is no one level of sharpness in knives. Some processes require razor-sharp knives, such as delicate slices of soft vegetables. Some processes do better with sturdier blunt knives, such as shucking clams. You want the right tool for the job- and for most kitchen tasks, that's a knife somewhere around an arbitrarily defined 80% as sharp as a blade can possibly be. Someone who's good with a whetstone could probably get those cheap knives that sharp. What matters, is how well the knife retains that edge over time. Mid-range knives like a Shun are very good at holding an edge. The cheapo knives lose their edge instantly, that's why they're always blunt when you find them.

Lots of professional chefs choose Shun because they look good, they keep an edge pretty well, and they cost half or less compared to some of the top-end knives. They will get kitchen-sharp, and stay that way for a sufficient period of time.

If you don't want to cut yourself, keep your knives sharp, and learn proper technique. Stocking blunt knives just means you're pressing into your food harder, so the one time your slip up, you're going straight to the hospital.

e: You want knife technique so you won't cut yourself? Look for some videos of Martin Yan. That guy can cook.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Hey is this a good deal

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/sora-6-pc-block-set

Retail of the 6-piece is $405.

Where the hell is this?

e: \/ Not my favorite Shun set but holy hell.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 24, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm talking about stuff like coring bell peppers. Plus I hate when the knife sticks into the cutting board which happens if I use just a little too much force.

Are you coring peppers the classical / dumb way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KRGi17Xg0Y

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

goodness posted:

"You do this until you have no more courage"

This man is great

Say what you want about Yan, but the man can cook. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I do them the same way Yan does in the video, the unrolling method. It can just be awkward when you are getting no tactile feedback from the knife because it cuts so effortlessly, I can't tell if I'm cutting the ribs, flesh or nothing at all because there is no resistance when cutting.

I can't do the fine shred though, I feel like I'd shave my palm off if I did that.

If you do it the way he does, where you can see through the pepper, that'll help remedy some of your issue.

But you're not crazy, a knife can be too sharp for an application. For some fish with fine bones, you can actually benefit from a knife that won't fly through the bones but leave them intact / show you where they are. Same idea here. Make do until the edge wears down a bit, and use a less aggressive sharpening method, work on your skills.

Nuclear option: get a Victorinox/Tojiro for the rough jobs and save that samurai sword for when it's needed.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

The best part is, anyone who really cares about a knife is going to see that as a ringing endorsement.

Why would you wan't a knife that couldn't cut meat?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Scott808 posted:

I know Tojiro has somewhat of a reputation for their dodgy fit and finish, but jeez, there's gotta be a limit to acceptable wabi sabi or whatever you want to call it.

Wabi-sabi should call to mind impermanence and transience, although I see where you're going.

Morimoto's old knives demonstrate wabi-sabi.

If Victorinox and Tojiro are both dodgy now, and you can't convince someone to go Chinese cleaver, what's next? Like... a Mac or something? I don't even know.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

guppy posted:

A lot of us are not interested in doing the fiddling that comes with that. I almost bought a Tojiro and I'm glad I didn't. What's wrong with the Victorinox as an entry-level knife now? I didn't hear about problems.

You can get a very good knife with good fit and finish for well under $250, that's a very high line to draw. I have a Mac Professional that came in around $150. I'm not sure how good they are, but Mac has at least two lines below Professional, so if there really is a problem with the Victorinox now, they might be worth a look. I'm looking at an 8" Chef series knife on Amazon that's $60., which IIRC is around Tojiro DP pricing. (I can't vouch for it myself.)

Page back to the bit about the Victorinox costing 2x as much as when it was the thread endorsement? At that price it's kind of hard to recommend. Not a bad knife, but there are other options at that price point.

At $25, the Victorinox was a clear winner in budget knives. Compared to a Tojiro it's lower-quality steel (from what I've heard) but at least you get a consistent knife, and for $25 you can gently caress up and chip it and just buy a new one who cares. At $50-$60? Not as much. I still love my knife, but if I'm recommending a starter for someone, I might have to insist on a Chinese cleaver because gently caress ruining a $60+ knife because you're an untrained moron. Or just give them my old Victrorinox and buy a Global. Why yes, that sounds reasonable.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

guppy posted:

Huh. I definitely wouldn't pay $50-60 for the Victorinox, or suggest that anyone else do so. But I see it between $35-40 on Amazon, same as it's been for a long time now. I do see the rosewood-handled version (versus Fibrox) at $55; I wonder if that's where the confusion is coming from.

I don't think I've seen the Victorinox at $25 except as a temporary markdown. There's a 10" version even cheaper at $31 right now.

Dunno why I'm blind and couldn't find the last link but http://camelcamelcamel.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-8-Inch-47520-5-2063-20/product/B000638D32

Mine was $29.12 years ago and without really digging for a sale, and a lazy google shows prices more like ~$38-45 ("Victorinox Chef knife" first Amazon result is 38.xx, sidebar shows a lot of 44.xx), and trend seems to be toward the $45 range although maybe that's just a flux. Which isn't bad, it's just not the dirt cheap wonder I initially recommended it as.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Scott808 posted:

I'm no expert on the intricacies of wabi sabi, but I always hear imperfection, or finding the beauty in imperfections, as part of it.

Tojiro has had a reputation for dodgy fit and finish for a long time now. Why is Victorinox dodgy?

Victorinox isn't dodgy- except that it's got a cheapo plastic handle (which actually has perfect fit and finish for what it is), and the quality of the steel is not as good as a "real" (Shun or better) chef knife. It's a great starter and not a bad knife at all, but it does leave you hankering to someday move up to one of the big names.

Not to continue to be a rampant Japanophile but it's just that you're missing half of wabi-sabi. Half is imperfection, half is transience. So getting a poorly-finished Tojiro, but falling in love with it because the blade is amazing, is a good start. Going on to realize that if you keep using it you're going to grind that blade down, and accepting that as a natural consequence of using a knife, is the other half.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh, I know that the method to making real damascus has long been lost.

And modern steel outperforms it. So you're paying more for a pretty design that, even if it were accurate, isn't as good as a modern steel of the same price.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

rockcity posted:

Does anyone know of any good places in the Northeast US to go check out knives in person? I'm looking to finally get a decent chef's knife and I'd really like to be able to hold some different handles and lengths and see what feels right to me before purchasing something. I live in Orlando and have been looking all around this state for a place to check out knives down here with little to no luck. I have a few work trips in the northeast over the next couple months though and figured if there were any places up there, it might be worth looking into.

Uh, white people kitchen stores?

You can pop into a Williams-Sonoma and get an hour-long demo of everything on the shelf if you pretend you have money and make small talk. They'll even bring out food for you to cut.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I was just hoping that somewhere I could find a store that would have a little more diverse of a selection so I could try out some of the different handle shapes mostly. All the common brands seem to have similar handles. I've never held an octogonal handled knife and I'm curious how I'd like it. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money, maybe $150, but if I do, I'd like to have some kind of an idea of how it's going to feel in my hand. I'm also open to suggestions in that price point too. Looking to get an 8-9" gyuto.

Yeah aside from like a trade show maybe? Amazon or some retailer with a good return policy.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You do realize that the "damascus" is simply cladding and that it doesn't effect the performance of the knife, right?

I meant if it was real Damascus steel, that would be lower performance than modern steel, so it's not desirable anyway.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Armchair Calvinist posted:

How do I know when my knives are hilariously sharp? Any good tests?

Knives need to be sharp for your application.

Kitchen wise, this usually means cutting tomatoes or fish without destroying them.

The two general tests for a knife are paper cutting and shaving. Any edge that can shave is probably too sharp for most kitchen needs.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

I think some Victorinox chef knives are on Prime deals today maybe? I saw the wavy slicer on a deal for $30 which who cares.

But I'm seeing the 10-inch for $33.75.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47521-10-Inch-Fibrox-Handle/dp/B0000CF8YO

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Jenner posted:

My partner has a hard on for ceramic knives, I know nothing about this. Are they good? Better than steel? Anyone want to recommend a set? TBH I can probably afford even the best quality/brands so don't hold back on me.

Babby's first knife impression: Ceramics have pros and cons, mostly cons.

Pros:
-Holds an edge really well, rarely needs sharpening if done correctly. (But needs its own special sharpener when it does)
-Mostly easier to care for. (Still wash your knives by hand, just put a little dishwashing liquid on a sponge or cloth)

Cons:
-Very brittle. If you drop them in the sink, the edge can shatter. Do not use on bones.

So they're wonderful if you mostly cut veg or boneless meat, and they hold an edge forever. Every Food Network star puts their face on one for a reason- they're great for lazy middle-class people who want a sharp knife with basically zero maintenance. Even a lot of good cooks will still keep a couple cheap ones to use on general veg work.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

I had broke my drat toe. But I finally settled on a shiny.

Pleb friends now tell me they're not going to use my knives unless I okay it first. Mission accomplished.

Each one of those knives is amazing at what it does.

Although it was hell finding a knife block. The deba is too fat for a standard 1/8" slot, the 9" slicer is too long.

Finally settled on a magnetic contraption. Too much money spent, but for the Last Knives I'll Ever Own(tm), worth it.

Between my roommate and I, we also have a full line of Victorinox, so these can just be my dress knives for nice meals.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

I bought the 8" DMT DuoSharp Fine/Extra Fine sharpening stone. I've never sharpened a knife on a bench stone style system before.

Before I wreck my one decent knife, I've been practicing on my Chicago Cutlery 8" chef knife. It had a chip in the middle of the blade from getting dropped a long time ago, but was otherwise mostly sharp.

I know the fine/extra fine isn't the right grit for overhauling an edge, but I spent 30 min on the knife anyway and got the chip ground out so the edge looks uniform now. The thing is, it's still not very sharp. I hit it again a day later, about 15min on the fine, then 20ish strokes each side on the extra fine, followed by honing on a steel. It cuts, but there are definitely dull spots on the edge.

So, can we say this is definitely an issue with my angle and technique, or do I just need to spend more time grinding away on this edge? Or is more information needed? It's hard for me to explain where I might be going wrong with my technique because I'm trying to hold the proper edge, but who knows if I'm getting it right.

Making the assumption that you double-checked your info on angles so you know you're grinding to an angle that will get you as sharp as you want to go, etc etc.

Sharpie trick. If you grind all the sharpie off (at one consistent angle without having to readjust), the knife should already be sharp. Polishing is just for looks and samurai edge.

More troubleshooty: Put the stone on a reliably flat surface and check for daylight, see if it's warped. Get a magnetic angle holder (or make something similar) and cheat for a bit, that'll tell you if you're to blame.

Most troubleshooty: Get a friend / knife shop to do a professional job and tell you if the knife was just crap or if it was you. There's some chance you're dealing with a crap blade, maybe try a decent quality pocketknife if you have one?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

emotive posted:

Man, my girlfriend got me this set as a gift, and I hate using them.

https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Gour...asian+knife+set

They have literally no weight to them and the handles are really uncomfortable which makes cutting anything a real chore... it can barely dice an onion.

Anyone else try these and feel the same?

From what I understand, especially the newer Gourmet series are kind of not thread-quality knives, so you might just not like them regardless of the Japanese bit, although as mentioned that's a vector.

Once upon a time I got a chef's 4-piece set with scissors, and they're okay. Like if they've just been sharpened then they do everything a knife should do, but they go steak knife dull quickly, and they never take a samurai edge. I prefer my Victorinox, and once I ordered my Shuns I donated the Wusthof set to my girlfriend so when I go to her place I have some acceptable knives to work with.

She was cutting tomatoes with old, dull, serrated steak knives.

Reminds me, when I go home for Christmas I need to pack my 'Nox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

These guys seem very trustworthy and like they know a lot about knives.

• Locked thread