Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Anyone still playing? I just heard about this a week ago and it looks like it just started picking up in my area. There was a a bunch of unclaimed portals around me but now they've all started to get claimed. Go team terrorist smurf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Qu Appelle posted:

Yeah, I've found it kind of demoralizing to build up a portal, just to have it taken down 30 mins later by the same guy who took done that same portal some 20 times now.

I'd rather concentrate on portal creation, and portal discovery, rather than burning through my supplies valiantly defending a Light Rail station from The Resistance. I'm well on my way of getting at least one of every badge.

Yesterday I just started to get the hang of fields and linking yesterday afternoon. 30 minutes later, in what had been pure smurf territory all week, some green comes and starts attacking resonators and tearing down links. From the comm stuff, I saw that by the time I got home, he started hitting downtown. This morning I find out he drove to the city where I live and attacked the one portal I first did that was near my house. It sucks but I was just planning on doing any portals on walks for the exercise. I'm not driving out to sit in parking lots and play on my phone.

I also want to start doing portal creation too. I sent up a photo yesterday for a portal that was missing it and I really want to start trying to get stuff from Roadside America made into portals http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ Things like the poo poo Fountain in Chicago http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/22412

If that stuff isn't good enough for portal creation, I don't know what is.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No one in Perth can throw links or make fields.

It's astounding and I pretty much have to like it.

But they can still do them inside that large field.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

FrickenMoron posted:

You cannot make links inside a field at all. The only type of links you can do through fields is from the cornerstone portals of the field.

Ah. I did this a couple days ago and thought you could but now I'm seeing I didn't really do that at all.

So would it have been better to do something like what I did or work on less fields but bigger ones? I'm thinking for the AP that the large group of smaller ones would be better but possibly worse for the MU(?) of the faction.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 2, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Aramoro posted:

I've made a few in roads now targeting weak nodes using the map to score some easy AP's, up to L4 now, L5 soon I think.

Going from L4 to L5 wasn't that bad for me. L5 to L6 is another story.

I was thinking of just letting things decay so I can try and reclaim them and make new fields and crap. I'm thinking that's an easier and stress free way to level up. I've still been hacking on my walks, so I'm not too concerned with losing whatever mods I put on them.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Qu Appelle posted:

Even if it's a crap portal that'll be taken down 2 seconds after you leave, if you fill it up with a bunch of junk L1s, you'll still get the full bonus for fully stocking a resonator. Those add up quickly, especially if there's a lot of misc portals with only 2 or 3 resos on them around you. I don't even bother with mods, unless they're one of my pet portals.

I'm situated so that it seems like the only other players that go for portals around where I live and work are people that decide to drive out to them. There's 17 portals in the city I live and I walk by 15 of them when I go out for a walk. Right now I own 12 of them and the resonators are just now starting to decay, so I should get some decent points putting new ones up and redoing the fields. The only action I've really seen in my area was during winter break when some green guys passed through and captured some portals.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Loucks posted:

So take a longer walk and submit a few dozen more. It takes almost no time at all. Find a cemetery where survivors had more money than taste and submit all the tacky monuments. There's a cemetery down the street from me with 43 awful markers that were all accepted as portals. You can walk in there with a handful of resonators and walk out thirty minutes later 100k AP closer to reaching level 8 and losing interest entirely.

I live in a town that's 1.3 sq miles and there's not too much more I can add in my area. Although I did find 3 things more things I should be able to get portalized. 2 of them are those stupid peace poles I've never really noticed before but they have one at work that's a portal already.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Loucks posted:

So not a "city" then?

It's a "city" with it's own "city" commission and other "city" crap related to it. It became a city in 1910.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Qu Appelle posted:

It sounds like a decent strategy.

Yeah, that seemed to pay off. There were a few portals today that lost some resonators, so I powered it back up and then got to through out a bunch of links. Made out with over 20k in points. To top it off, some green guy attacked a bunch of stuff just now. It's pretty cool to have something actually happen.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Qu Appelle posted:

Oh, and I saw the mega green field. I thought that my scanner malfunctioned at first.
I noticed the numbers jump up but didn't see the field. The tears from that sure are amusing.

I got someone else at work hooked last week.

Also got close enough to level 6 to bring myself to take a drive out to find more portals and level up along with chatting more with the local blue group. It's sucking me in and I feel ashamed :(

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

All the dots are getting sucked into the mothership

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

I just learned about charging bursters when you attack. Made things much easier. Also got a capsule yesterday.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Shields sound like they've been boosted as well. Probably due to the arms race with the ultra strikes. We have someone in the area with the phone that could get them before and they weren't too impressed by them.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

When you use a power cube, a circle of energy spins and converges on you. If you tap yourself just as the animation finishes you get a huge bonus to the amount of energy to receive.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

FistEnergy posted:

It's almost as awesome as the cube bug that sometimes gives you 0 XM while burning your cube!

I like it when I'm in the process of installing a mod and then I lose connection. Then it's a crapshoot if the mod is gone forever or not.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GWBBQ posted:

The submission queue is backlogged because a few hundred people who got banned for using Broot Mod banded together to poo poo up the game and pledged to submit 100 invalid portals a day per person. Niantic had to put together a whole team of people to go through the backlog of 750,000 bullshit submissions.

But how many actually followed through? People on the internet pledge to do all sorts of stuff but the second it takes actually getting up and doing things is a different matter. If someone actually did submit 100 bad portals in a day, a normal company would just not review that person's submissions anymore.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

We have a newer and much more active player in the area that's stirred up a bunch of drama. There's people taking photos of each other, tailing them in cars, for the team's database of enemy players, a guy that flips out if you don't link according to the map he made, etc. He's popular because he's an old guy with no family, so he can spend all day driving around for hours.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Maybe they'll add a third faction around the same time.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

PerrineClostermann posted:

The drones, like-minded stylish aliens with an eye for smooth contours and simple aesthetics. They've come through from the other side!

And a flood of every independently owned coffee shop in the world are submitted as portals, multiple times.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

WeX Majors posted:

Oh god, a decay mod is so very much needed considering how useless the Link Amp is. Well, at least in US Metropolitan areas. I'm sure they're a lot more useful in say...Nebraska.

Campfire portals.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

You can believe what you want to believe, but the explanation is simple: the existence and power of Ultra Strikes completely invalidates the "strategy" that's designed to thwart them

His setup for mods is the new strategy.

I'd be happy if more people put resonators closer to the portal with your strategy. That would make it that much easier to take out a resonator while I'm trying to take out the mods. When the resonator pops, it drops the mitigation of the portal for me, which is a plus.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GWBBQ posted:

I fully understand the frustration (every one of my guardians has been hunted and taken out,) but it's a core game mechanic and I think it's ridiculous to get bent out of shape over it as long as there's no scripting or spoofing involved.

In general, people that get bent out of shape over any game should reevaluate their life.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's the best way to get my rear end from 7 to 8?

The easiest way is to just take down a portal with a bunch of links. I was doing this in somewhat out of the way places for awhile. Eventually the guy that kept taking them back daily slowed down a bit. Other areas are more active so he stopped wasting his mods on the portals as well, which just made it that much easier for me to take out. And with all the links he'd keep putting back up, that's just more keys he was throwing away.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Teddybear posted:

I saw some portal keys laying around not far from me, and went to go pick them up-- then I realized they were part of a trail of some kind. I was about a third of the way through when I zoomed out and could see that someone was trying to make a question mark. Sorry dude :blush:

I still took all the keys and made a bunch of links to level up again, because, y'know, they're just gonna go bad laying out there.

I do stuff like that too when I have a full inventory and have stuff to throw away.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Bobulus posted:

That would certainly be effective, but no one in my area, to my knowledge, is doing that. This guy was just destroying his own team's Lv8s that had stood for weeks because he is a jerk. His own team was yelling at him about it in chat.

He sounds like he's either an idiot or a lvl 8+ player that's bored with the game and turned troll.

I was debating turning troll after I called out the "unofficial area leader" on some BS, causing him to flip out. I ended up just deleting the account and making a new one on the other side since trolling takes more effort than I care to do on a game that makes you run around outside.

After he flipped out though, I did go back outside and capture a few portals in my area by standing on them when doing resonators and then throwing my link amps on them. I also put out links from them to other portals, but I didn't follow the official map of the area on how links should be placed *gasp*. Dude would poo poo himself if you did a link wrong.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

kitten smoothie posted:

They had a map of how things should be linked? That's just silly.

It was color coded as well.

The other side has it's own leader with issues. That side does things like taking photos of the other side for their online database. I'd wager both of the leader guys put at least 100 miles on their cars each day playing this game.

At this point, I'm fine just playing solo for some exercise.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

SalTheBard posted:

Kansas City Enlightened and Resistence are both full of insufferable manchildren that take this game way too seriously. The best thing I ever did was delete Ingress off my phone. With the right city Ingress is amazing and very fun, but once people started stalking the other side finding posts I made in this thread and threatining me about it I stopped having fun.

My area was fun until sometime around March. There was no resistance group, so the insanity was kept in check for the most part. Now they're all nuts. Every new player is relentlessly recruited by the other side into their little chat groups.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

I'm having the opposite problem. Nobody here gives enough of a poo poo to come to my town and tear down the portals that're too big for me. I have a fairly unchallenged little fiefdom that I can't expand because there's a big green wall between me and the next city over.

I had that for awhile. I'd just let things decay so I could rebuild. Didn't bother wasting mods on anything.

Any chance you'd be able to engulf both cities in a field?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

It turns out the local resistance group is the "must meet first" type

That's also how our resistance is. Enlightened won't let you going the hangout group until you're around lvl 5.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

EVG posted:

What is bluestacks?

I'm guessing http://www.bluestacks.com/

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

If you're just starting out, the first thing you need to do after the training is meetup with a high level player of the opposing side and fight him, whether he wants to or not. He's made it this far in the game, so he knows how the game works.

This will show the others in the area that you aren't just someone that will play for the weekend. They will respect you, even if you lose the fight.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

thehustler posted:

Yeah I was bang on top of it and it didn't show anything. Was only a L5 so maybe it just damaged and didn't do much.

Correct. It did damage but not enough to blow it off.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

kitten smoothie posted:

I hope they don't soften higher level portals beyond just the general decay rate changes. It kind of sucks that it takes 8 L8 players on one side to stand up an L8 portal but one L8 player on the other side can still tear it down even if it's fully charged up. If it one side had to team up to put it there, then the other side should have to at least try to get a few people together to take it down.

I don't like that idea since if you have an organized side in an area, they could dominate an area unless the other side starting making appointments with each other to visit a portal at the same time.

It's rare for the blue side in our area to get a portal like that and they had to do it with some out of towners. I hacked it and it gave me a Jarvis, so I used it. They took it back, I didn't have another Jarvis, so I tore that thing down. That severely pissed them off and players that used to be cool with me on the other side were talking poo poo over comm.

If you have a L8 portal you really want to defend, you can just start remote recharging it when you get an alert that it's under attack.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

Kinda over this. Went out of town for a long weekend expecting my poo poo to all expire, but some green player from elsewhere came in and built up a bunch of giant untouchable portals and is keeping them charged remotely. You should have to actually go to a portal to keep it alive, and high-level portals need rebalancing so they're not just immortal monoliths to newer players.

FYI, he's going to waste more power cubes recharging himself through defending his crap than you will by attacking it. It's entirely possible to have him use up all his cubes dealing with you and then he's screwed.

Here's a tip if you're trying to defend a portal, you'll use less energy by replacing a destroyed resonator with a new one than trying to recharge existing ones. So if you have a bunch of low level resonators, you can just sit there deploying them over and over, while they're using up their bursters.

I had a portal nearby work that was always defended by a player. I could take one or two resonators off before they got alerted and started to remote recharge. I'd always stop after that since it seemed like a losing battle and I'd just waste the rest of my gear. Especially since they'd come out and fix it within a few hours. I'd do this day after day, so it got to be a pattern. Attacked around the same time, and then would quit after recharging started.

Tried a new strategy and it ended up working. I attacked until it started getting recharged. I waited 5-10 minutes to pass and started attacking it again, only this time they weren't defending it. I think after my previous attack they were getting ready to come over, or were driving over, so they weren't paying attention. Either way, I ended up taking it down. They showed up to take it back. I did the strategy of deploying low level resonators until they gave up.

The bad side of this was that the little undisturbed kingdom I had near my home got demolished and since then, it's never been left alone.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Chernobyl Prize posted:

I agree, as a level 2 I can't really attack anyone's portals, I like to see them turning grey on their own.

If there's no shields, you should be able to take down a lvl 3-4 portal as long as you stand on each resonator as you're attacking.

Does the ios version have the glyph hack? If you're on the portal screen, hold down the hack button and a memory game pops up. You can get extra gear when hacking.

Another tip for new players, when attacking, hold down the attack(whatever it's called) button. There's a circle that shrinks down to where you're attacking, over and over. When you get it zoomed in as much as the circle can, let go and you do extra damage.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Snuffman posted:

So as a plucky level 2 enlightened lone wolf, is there anything I can do to take down these high level portals? With my lv2 xmp bursters and that holdown release trick I'm only doing 1% damage to resonators.

Also, what determines a portal level?

I'd go to https://www.ingress.com/intel and set the filter on the bottom right of the screen to 25%. That should give you a good starting point for where you need to go. At your level, make sure there's no shields on them unless you have some ultra strikes to use.

If you're looking for a quick way to level up, learn how to layer your fields.

http://decodeingress.me/2013/06/22/ingress-onion-fields-overlap-multi-mu/
http://decodeingress.me/2013/06/27/ingress-onion-fields-part-2-4-with-4/
http://decodeingress.me/2014/01/04/ingress-onion-fields-pt-3/

If you have the gear, layered fields are also the best to destroy because you get so many points for each link and field you take out. You don't even really need to worry about completely taking out the portal. As long as you get it down to 2 resonators, the links and fields will fall. If you have the gear though, go ahead and take it all the way out.

I like to check the intel map before I go home and if I see something good, I'll stop by to take it down. A couple weeks ago I hit a good portal that got me around 14k.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

EVG posted:

Can you create links inside an existing field, as long as they don't cross other links? Or does being within a field completely lock you down?

I still don't understand the "hold down" trick for attacking that people mention. I might just be incredibly dense, though.

You can do a link from a portal that isn't covered by a field to a portal that is. So if you have a triangle with one portal inside, you can go to each corner of the triangle and link to the portal in the center. What you can't do is stand in the portal in the inside and do any link out of it.

For the hold down trick when attacking, go to your inventory/weapons and pick your burster. Hit the Fire button and that will take you back to the map with another Fire button. That's the one you want to hold down when attacking. If you're holding it down and end up not wanting to fire it, slide your finger off of it and it won't go off.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 31, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

If you contact support, they usually respond within a couple of days.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Off the top of my head, I have seen 2 of those rules come into play in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Hey Chemosh, I added myself to the map, are we the two Rogue Valley goons and we're on opposite teams?

That's cool. Small world :)

• Locked thread