Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bobulus posted:

I was curious about the mechanic behind shields breaking before the portal goes down. I've seen plenty of shields break from lv8 weapons, but I've seen lots break from lv1 weapons, too. What's the mechanic behind that? Is it just a % chance to break per attack, perhaps with a different percentage for each weapon level? Or is it a hidden 'shield health' stat that decreases with each attack or what? I know ultrastrikes work better if you're standing inside the shield, but do regular weapons take down shields better from within?

I've pelted shields with a dozen L8 ultrastrikes with no effect and I've broken shields with wimpy weapons. I can't figure it out, it looks totally random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

GWBBQ posted:

Resistance have taken a slight lead

apparently, it's a very very small field causing a divide by zero or similar:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107524939323103025738/posts/YQS5tZQTHoX

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I can't yet fathom needing to burn a cube to recharge. I can run down my XM bar, bike to the next portal, and be full again. Presumably that's the difference between a level 4 XM bar and an 8+ one.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Qu Appelle posted:

A Resistance player moved into my subdivision, now we have actual battles there.

:getin:

Also - increased cube drop rate + hanging low because of illness? Charge charge chargechargechargechargechargechargechargechargechargecharge :hellyeah:

Now I have a Gold in Recharger, and Platinum doesn't sound very hard at all to achieve. It'll just take a while.

Just finished my black badge today!

:smugdog:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Javid posted:

I can't yet fathom needing to burn a cube to recharge. I can run down my XM bar, bike to the next portal, and be full again. Presumably that's the difference between a level 4 XM bar and an 8+ one.

You can recharge stuff from a distance if you have the key, so sitting at your apt you can be recharging anything you have a key for without collect xm

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Oh, that's neat. I'll probably keep doing it in person on my nightly route anyway.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Javid posted:

cubes are handy if you're attacking a portal thats not in the exact middle of a city, so if it has defences powerful enough to drain your XM during a hit, and the next nearest portal is 30 minutes walk, you need cubes to recharge and carry on.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Teddybear posted:

I saw some portal keys laying around not far from me, and went to go pick them up-- then I realized they were part of a trail of some kind. I was about a third of the way through when I zoomed out and could see that someone was trying to make a question mark. Sorry dude :blush:

I still took all the keys and made a bunch of links to level up again, because, y'know, they're just gonna go bad laying out there.

I do stuff like that too when I have a full inventory and have stuff to throw away.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

withoutclass posted:

You can recharge stuff from a distance if you have the key, so sitting at your apt you can be recharging anything you have a key for without collect xm

That's exactly what I do, for the most part. I have a fair number of keys, around 200. I'm sure someone's wondering how a portal in rural Startup, WA stays at 100%....

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Just hit level 3 and verified yay me!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Five days in, 744 MU controlled. This is fun. Massive cockblock when a really well-located portal out of town didn't get cell service, though :|

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobulus posted:

South-end of Illinois Ingress player checking in.

Down here, the resistance has a slight edge, but no one is dedicated to actually setting up or maintaining L8 farms. All we have is some blue players who drive around every week or so and pile-drive every single green portal, regardless of defenses, location, or ownership. By not maintaining the portals, they don't expend much XM, so they have plenty of power cubes to do the whole thing again a week later. Not sure how they're maintaining their level 8 weapon supply. (We even had one motherfucker that was flipping his own team's level-8 portals and then destroying them, under the logic that he didn't want the other side farming them)

The other team is flash farming they all meet up at a concentrated area of portals and make them level 8. They fill them up with Rare and Very Rare Heat Sinks and Multi Hacks. This gets them 24 hacks with them being able to hack once every 60 seconds. Once the portals are burned out they will flip them to the enemy team and destroy them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That would certainly be effective, but no one in my area, to my knowledge, is doing that. This guy was just destroying his own team's Lv8s that had stood for weeks because he is a jerk. His own team was yelling at him about it in chat.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 21, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Bobulus posted:

That would certainly be effective, but no one in my area, to my knowledge, is doing that. This guy was just destroying his own team's Lv8s that had stood for weeks because he is a jerk. His own team was yelling at him about it in chat.

He sounds like he's either an idiot or a lvl 8+ player that's bored with the game and turned troll.

I was debating turning troll after I called out the "unofficial area leader" on some BS, causing him to flip out. I ended up just deleting the account and making a new one on the other side since trolling takes more effort than I care to do on a game that makes you run around outside.

After he flipped out though, I did go back outside and capture a few portals in my area by standing on them when doing resonators and then throwing my link amps on them. I also put out links from them to other portals, but I didn't follow the official map of the area on how links should be placed *gasp*. Dude would poo poo himself if you did a link wrong.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chemosh6969 posted:

I also put out links from them to other portals, but I didn't follow the official map of the area on how links should be placed *gasp*. Dude would poo poo himself if you did a link wrong.

That is so hilariously sad.

:argh: "NO! You're making the WRONG TRIANGLE! It needs to be THIS triangle! MY triangle!"

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Powered Descent posted:

That is so hilariously sad.

:argh: "NO! You're making the WRONG TRIANGLE! It needs to be THIS triangle! MY triangle!"

Sounds like the results of my last Trig test :downsrim:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The only triangle that is unassailable is the triangle where each segment has the same slope, thus causing an overflow of MU for resistance.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Anyone know if there's a way to play the Ingress app (iOS) and listen to iTunes at the same time? I'm diggin' on how Ingress enhances my commute, but I'm also in the middle of an awesome audio book series that usually consumes my walking time.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chemosh6969 posted:

I also put out links from them to other portals, but I didn't follow the official map of the area on how links should be placed *gasp*. Dude would poo poo himself if you did a link wrong.

They had a map of how things should be linked? That's just silly.

I remember when I first started that people got really bent out of shape about making long links across town because it blocked people, and I got called out over comm by teammates for that. And that honestly was fair, because my link might've ruined a bunch of other field possibilities and I probably cost other teammates thousands in AP so I could have 313 AP for myself.

But that's pretty much a non-issue now because there's 100x more portals out there, flip cards are a thing, and the game moves a lot faster. A long link is a lot harder to make, it isn't going to last for days, and you can go flip it yourself if you have that big a problem with it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Just signed up and started playing, thanks to Qu Appelle. Still getting my feet wet and reading though this thread from the beginning. Playing on iOS, so a happy coincidence that the official iOS app just got released last week.

I plan to play solo for a while to see how things work, we'll see if I decide I want to get social later on.

Qu Appelle: I'd love for you to get recruit credit for me, but then I'd have to disclose my identity. :ninja:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

minidracula posted:

Just signed up and started playing, thanks to Qu Appelle. Still getting my feet wet and reading though this thread from the beginning. Playing on iOS, so a happy coincidence that the official iOS app just got released last week.

I plan to play solo for a while to see how things work, we'll see if I decide I want to get social later on.

Qu Appelle: I'd love for you to get recruit credit for me, but then I'd have to disclose my identity. :ninja:

:hellyeah:

You can always msg me, if you feel comfortable with that! Two more people also got recruited due to me, and if you're in Seattle, I'd love to do a group photo with the two other people. I get that weird recruit badge, and you get coffee on me.

Welcome!

I mainly play solo, because my schedule is busy and weird.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Kansas City Enlightened and Resistence are both full of insufferable manchildren that take this game way too seriously. The best thing I ever did was delete Ingress off my phone. With the right city Ingress is amazing and very fun, but once people started stalking the other side finding posts I made in this thread and threatining me about it I stopped having fun.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

kitten smoothie posted:

It was color coded as well.

The other side has it's own leader with issues. That side does things like taking photos of the other side for their online database. I'd wager both of the leader guys put at least 100 miles on their cars each day playing this game.

At this point, I'm fine just playing solo for some exercise.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

SalTheBard posted:

Kansas City Enlightened and Resistence are both full of insufferable manchildren that take this game way too seriously. The best thing I ever did was delete Ingress off my phone. With the right city Ingress is amazing and very fun, but once people started stalking the other side finding posts I made in this thread and threatining me about it I stopped having fun.

My area was fun until sometime around March. There was no resistance group, so the insanity was kept in check for the most part. Now they're all nuts. Every new player is relentlessly recruited by the other side into their little chat groups.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm having the opposite problem. Nobody here gives enough of a poo poo to come to my town and tear down the portals that're too big for me. I have a fairly unchallenged little fiefdom that I can't expand because there's a big green wall between me and the next city over.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

I'm having the opposite problem. Nobody here gives enough of a poo poo to come to my town and tear down the portals that're too big for me. I have a fairly unchallenged little fiefdom that I can't expand because there's a big green wall between me and the next city over.

I had that for awhile. I'd just let things decay so I could rebuild. Didn't bother wasting mods on anything.

Any chance you'd be able to engulf both cities in a field?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The portals that I'd need to do that are way out where I don't get cell service.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Dayton OH seems to be pretty chill. Both groups coordinate, but not at "MY TRIANGLE MAP" levels of aspergers, and the cross faction play is quite friendly (there was some awesome cross faction field art for the 4th of July at the Air Force Museum). In fact spergy stalkery poo poo will get you run out of the Enlightened group here, and I doubt the local Resistance tolerates it either.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm playing in South KC - Lenexa area, and the Resistance doesnt seem insane; also the two enlightened that keep taking out the portals at work are friendly and banter without malice.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Anomaly weekend is coming up, I'm heading up to Boston. The Shard was fun and I hear this is a lot more intense. Everyone is going to hate me for saying this, but I'm hoping nobody manages 700M Mu and the decay rate stays where it is. It's nice to clear out all the stupid links and have room to make bigger fields

Bobulus posted:

I was curious about the mechanic behind shields breaking before the portal goes down. I've seen plenty of shields break from lv8 weapons, but I've seen lots break from lv1 weapons, too. What's the mechanic behind that? Is it just a % chance to break per attack, perhaps with a different percentage for each weapon level? Or is it a hidden 'shield health' stat that decreases with each attack or what? I know ultrastrikes work better if you're standing inside the shield, but do regular weapons take down shields better from within?
Niantic aren't talking specifics, but I've burned a bunch of gear trying to figure it out and regular weapons definitely pop mods faster from inside the shield. I think mod stickiness is linked to total portal energy, but they're also calculating damage on mods (no idea in what order, though.) I think there's a significant drop in attenuation once you're inside shield radius.

kitten smoothie posted:

We have maps for how to link and farm clusters for max AP and optimal defense; max AP helps people level up, optimal defense keeps the farms standing so we can all stock up on gear. Our community has a lot of awesome people who want to get new players leveled up and generally help people out. Just last week we had a couple of out-of-state players coming through and we all sent them our farming maps and instructions for how to get there, they passed through CT with a few hundred more unique portal visits.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Had my first almost-runin with local players today. I see a dude popping portals within a couple blocks of me so I ask if they need any help in faction chat and head up there. No answer, so I start linking, and then they complain that my links are in the way of their plan. Not in a lovely way or anything, and the dude apologized when he scrolled up and saw my first message. It turns out the local resistance group is the "must meet first" type poo poo I was hoping to avoid, and I didn't feel like chasing the dude all over town so I'm still not in it. Heavily disinclined to jump through real-world hoops for a phone game any more than I already am.

I'm down to make laps around town on my bike for this since it's free and good exercise, but I feel dirty enough for having spent money on gas ONCE to grab a portal that was too far to bike. Extra trips to town to satisfy somebody's paranoia about "spies" in a loving video game is off the table.

Javid fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 22, 2014

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The Boston group just had me confirm my G+ account in-game with a code. They seem nice.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Anyone else having trouble linking their iOS device with Google plus? I've tried to do it a dozen times from the Ops>Device menu, and it always gives me an error that the page is invalid or some poo poo (if using Safari) or just beachballs/ doesn't load (if using the G+ app). I saw some reddit page complaining of the same issue so at least it's not just me...

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

porktree posted:

I'm playing in South KC - Lenexa area, and the Resistance doesnt seem insane; also the two enlightened that keep taking out the portals at work are friendly and banter without malice.

I should have prefaced my post with saying this was based off experiences almost a year ago. It's good to hear things are changing.

Sonictic
Sep 11, 2003

marquise bossyfangs mcsekret

EVG posted:

Anyone else having trouble linking their iOS device with Google plus? I've tried to do it a dozen times from the Ops>Device menu, and it always gives me an error that the page is invalid or some poo poo (if using Safari) or just beachballs/ doesn't load (if using the G+ app). I saw some reddit page complaining of the same issue so at least it's not just me...

I was having the same issue so I just used bluestacks to load ingress and complete it there which worked fine.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

It turns out the local resistance group is the "must meet first" type

That's also how our resistance is. Enlightened won't let you going the hangout group until you're around lvl 5.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
We have two groups, a "university" for new players and an L5+ group. To join the first you circle the group and post your initials in faction comm. When you hit L5 you show up to one of the weekly hey-let's-get-dinner meetups and get brought in.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Sonictic posted:

I was having the same issue so I just used bluestacks to load ingress and complete it there which worked fine.

What is bluestacks?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

EVG posted:

What is bluestacks?

I'm guessing http://www.bluestacks.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

gee thanks

...yeah, could have figured that out. Will try it when I get home from work. Thanks

• Locked thread