Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Anything below 1500 fps looks choppy :smug:

Just started playing this and I'm having a blast, much like rogue legacy I'm enjoying the fact that progress isn't meaningless between characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

madjackmcmad posted:

Next build, I'm going to include a troubleshooting feature where you can disable sound entirely and you can see if the game still acts lovely. I appreciate you enduring that crap.
Sure, I'll give it a shot, but it's not a big deal. It's a fun game, I've definitely put up with worse in my time.

e: if you take stairs down to an area that gets a title card (I did it in a mausoleum), you can still attack monsters that start right next to you, which causes slowdown both on movement (or next attack, in this case) and in the title card itself moving.

e2: also, found this sweet typo which, if I was you, I would make even more blatantly wrong instead of leaving alone, because I'm a sucker for jokes like that

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 12, 2013

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
It seems that dual wielding Dungeonmans can become unstoppable juggernauts of destruction at higher levels.

Pictured: One-shotting the boss of a Heroic-rated floor.

Not pictured: Dodging everything even without Hero Cloud up (always have Hero Cloud up).

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I played it for way too long last night, it was pretty fun.

It seems like the challenge is going in to a fight prepared - Most of my mans have died after getting to low health and dying to poison/fire effects, because there doesn't seem to be a burst heal spell/potion. The trick seems to be never letting yourself get to low health to begin with, drinking healing potions before you get too hurt, etc.

Biggest annoyance for me was when the player and monsters on the same square - This happens mostly when you use a teleport or movement ability, you can end up on top of an enemy. It's kind of bad because you can't attack them but they can attack you. The other part that was annoying about this was occasionally there would be a monster spawning on the same square as the staircase you arrive on. Just a little bug fix to work out.

Shops could be a little more dynamic as well, they all seem to sell the same stuff.

Other than that, keep up the good work!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Goffer posted:

Shops could be a little more dynamic as well, they all seem to sell the same stuff.

Yeah, they're bad. It's noted in the readme, they're just all the same right now. They don't have variety or scale by level. It's not a difficult thing to finish up but it always falls by the wayside, so much time is consumed trying to keep the kickstarter flames fanned.

GeekTheMage posted:

It seems that dual wielding Dungeonmans can become unstoppable juggernauts of destruction at higher levels.

I buffed Razor Fury in 1.06 because it was practically useless before and I wasn't seeing a lot of Dual Wield players. It's too strong but at least it enticed new people to stick with DW. Tuned back down for 1.07

GeekTheMage posted:

Not pictured: Dodging everything even without Hero Cloud up (always have Hero Cloud up).

What kind of armor are you wearing, and what is your dodge?

Karpa
Jan 2, 2009
I wasn't sure if this was intentional or not BUT

:smug:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Earthkrash posted:

I wasn't sure if this was intentional or not BUT

:smug:

Was it fun to do? I hope so!

Looking at the log in the second screen and your half empty stamina bar it seemed like it took a bit of thinking. I do wonder if the Orc Warriors knocked you around any with Danger Shuffle, they should have if they didn't. Game shouldn't be easymode, but it feels very Dungeonmansy to me to walk into a room full of bad guys and take them down with style. I'll tune it right, eventually.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Got some screens up with examples of new dungeon layouts, including this old busted vs new hotness

I put the rest in a KS Update which you can read here

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike/posts/537004

and leave comments if you like, which increases the meta-social-SEO-hypertext rankscore value of the project which Kicktraq then uses to decide what projects to hotlist.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh, that reminds me, can you color the stairs icon on the map like you do the monster icon? It's hard to see them when I'm just scanning my eye quickly over a large map.

e: also "Frosty" prefix on weapons has no description - it's the one that freezes enemies on hit sometimes, apparently, but I expected it to spawn a little Coldnado or something!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 12, 2013

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Would be nice if you could get paths to loop, currently it seems like rooms can branch out into different rooms and they keep branching out like a tree but the different branches never connect, so if you go left from a room you know you will never return to that room except from the left door. Maybe I'm wrong, seems like you do this at least for the undead crypts, but regular dungeons don't / can't yet. Anyway, got furthest with a mage today (level 6!) and even got to cast coldnado a few times, unfortunately coldnado doesn't protect you from burning to death after being almost oneshot by a pyromancer.

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
Wooo, downloaded this when I saw it and now I have conquered those foolish Purpleonians who stood in my way! I already sent in some feedback concerning bugs/questionable stuff, so I'll recount my experience briefly instead.

I started as a rangerman, got to level 6 and died from lack of armor. Made a fighterman and died at level 1 in a wholly embarassing way. made another fighter and got farther until a dungeon where an archer cracked my armor and then 2-shot me. Then I made the Reapermans.

1H and Large Shield, Heavy Armor. Got Shield Rush, Wreck Armor, and then all of the fire spells from Wizardmans plus Hero Cloud. The beginning was rough, but I can mark the exact point in the game where I trivialized everything, and that was when I found my first Ring of Jungle Fighting. Up until then, orc archers with venomizer were pretty much certain death, but that ring made the poison do 1 damage a tick always, so I could just drink a lesser healing potion and keep wrecking faces. And faces I did wreck, since Lava Lance and Foomsplosion are insane. Screw Coldnado, I can just open a room door and fling out 2-3 Foomsplosions before the enemies act. Every individual fireball in it got my +2d8 poison damage bonus per ring from the jungle rings, and even with no staff each fireball's base damage was slightly better than my 1-handed weapon. That was there mostly to Shield Rush casters/archers to shut them up. Since I could rest most of the time in the dungeon, MP conservation wasn't a real problem. Open a door, incinerate everything, shield rush whatever didn't die, rest, move on. Repeat until my numbers were the largest in the land.

Even when I didn't burn everything to the ground, as long as there were no armor-breaking archers I could wade in, dodge 90% of the attacks, and then reduce most of the rest to 0 damage. I ended the game with 51 armor, 37 block, and 169 dodge before using any abilities, and that was all heavy armor. Armored mage of some kind seems like the way to go, and now that enemy casters have projectile protection I'm left wondering why those cadets at the academy want to be rangermans :v:

Also, something confused me about the defenses in the game. For starters, heavy shields give armor, but it never says how much, so you're forced to equip/unequip to find out. Something in the stat box would be nice. I also don't know how the heck parry calculations work, but it seems to be scaled wildly differently. I ended the game with 9 parry (base 8 and a piece of equipment with +10%). Either it's mostly for 2h and dual wielders and I'm talking out my rear end, or the numbers for parry work on a different system. It's a problem because even at the end of the game I would find +%Parry armor and my parry was so low it added nothing.

My character had wasted points too! I went to get bolt of foom from the basic wizardman masteries, but after I got it I realized that Lava Lance is so far ranged that it can hit most things just as well with it. And it's much more damaging. And it stays a static 10 MP cost as opposed to Bolt of Foom getting up to 25 for me. Foomsplosion was only 17 mana and could reach 7 squares away. Bolt of Foom really needs a mana cost change, since early game your mana pool is limited anyway and late game it drops off in favor of area spells to clear out those 10+ monster rooms.

A lot of :words:, but this game is amazing so it deserves them.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Backed it for $25. The music is fantastic. Reminds me of old FF games.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How does the range on the magic staff attack actually work? From this picture, I assume it's just a 7x7 box centered on yourself, so that it's "three squares" in any direction, which is definitely not what I expected. (But it's in the player's favor, so I ain't complaining.)

This rocks. What controls whether or not this happens, pure chance? Haven't seen it before, but haven't had that many deaths yet.

Does it bother you that the town generator can do this?

It's not like you can't get through that door, but it looks awkward.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How does the range on the magic staff attack actually work? From this picture, I assume it's just a 7x7 box centered on yourself, so that it's "three squares" in any direction, which is definitely not what I expected. (But it's in the player's favor, so I ain't complaining.)

It's actually fair to everyone all around. Here's the science :science:

It costs just as much AP to move diagonal as it does to move cardinal, so an enemy 3 squares away diagonally is just as close as one 3 squares away dead ahead. It also makes spells like Lava Lance more useful. If shooting at diagonals made for worse range, you'd get less interesting shots and less interesting positioning.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This rocks. What controls whether or not this happens, pure chance? Haven't seen it before, but haven't had that many deaths yet.

Here's how it goes. If your hero dies between levels 5 and 9, he leaves behind his weapon or armor, with a special enchant that can only happen in this way. Heroes level 10-12 do something even better.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does it bother you th
You can almost always assume the answer is yes.

jsr v2.0 posted:

Backed it for $25. The music is fantastic. Reminds me of old FF games.
Thank you! zircon just recently streamed about two hours of his music making process. Brand new track! Skip to the end if you want to just hear it, but it's really a cool video overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb1dfn9A88w

Runic Edge posted:

A lot of :words:, but this game is amazing so it deserves them.
You have no idea how cool this is to read. From a strictly developer stand point, these sort of write ups go into a text file and when I'm readying I new build I double check them, saying "How much better is Dungeonmans for this person?"

From a more personal perspective, there have been a number of tough days working on the game where I was just really frustrated and shouting (at no one in particular) stuff like no one is going to give a poo poo about your dumb spells, positioning and lovely "systems", this is stupid you're stupid and you're basically doing the game designer jerk off. I'm always happy when I hear about someone being entertained by the game's mechanics.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

madjackmcmad posted:

What kind of armor are you wearing, and what is your dodge?

Well, not literally dodging everything, that was an exaggeration for comedic effect. But at 158 Dodge, I am pretty crazy dodgy. Early levels, I leaned pretty hard on Hero Cloud for survivability, but now I can walk into a monster closet full of archers, get Hero Cloud stripped off in one round, and still give no fucks.

The lost health is from camping out in front of a Purpleated Goon Destroyer to determine exactly how dodgy my Dungeonmans is, so no, I'm not technically invincible.

Also pictured: Rings of Jungle Fighting that synergize quite well with dual weapons :unsmigghh:.

Edit:

I think the ultimate dungeon in the game probably should start out a little more challenging. The area outside was Legendary, after all.

GeekTheMage fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 13, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

GeekTheMage posted:

I think the ultimate dungeon in the game probably should start out a little more challenging. The area outside was Legendary, after all.

That is a straight up bug and I'm bad at making video games. I can probably fix that with just an exe change, no new academy required. Jesus.

Edit: http://dungeonmans.com/dmans_spire_repair.zip it's a zip with an exe, should (should!) just be able to replace your current one. No other changes of note except that the Dread Spire won't be trivial anymore.

Edit x 2: I just got your feedback that the last dungeon was too easy. Congratulations though!

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 13, 2013

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I just started my 3rd dude and checked out the dungeon right next to town. I ended up going 8 floors down (!!) before opening a door and being 3 shotted by some orc-bear-bull looking thing. Fucker got me by surprise, no one up to that point was denting my armor. And then, bam, dead. Didn't even get to return to the Academy to upgrade it. Roguelikes!!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

jsr v2.0 posted:

I just started my 3rd dude and checked out the dungeon right next to town. I ended up going 8 floors down (!!) before opening a door and being 3 shotted by some orc-bear-bull looking thing. Fucker got me by surprise, no one up to that point was denting my armor. And then, bam, dead. Didn't even get to return to the Academy to upgrade it. Roguelikes!!

What level did he get to? It might be worth heading back down there!

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

madjackmcmad posted:

What level did he get to? It might be worth heading back down there!

6, I think. Started Adventuremans, took all 3 Armor, both 2H Fighting, then all 3 2H Fighting Skills, and the first Dungeoneering feat.

Does the 'body' appear on the same floor I died on?

Also, if you do get this baby on to Steam, Cloud saving would be great. Being able to use the same Academy at home & at work would be swell.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

madjackmcmad posted:

That is a straight up bug and I'm bad at making video games. I can probably fix that with just an exe change, no new academy required. Jesus.

Edit: http://dungeonmans.com/dmans_spire_repair.zip it's a zip with an exe, should (should!) just be able to replace your current one. No other changes of note except that the Dread Spire won't be trivial anymore.

Edit x 2: I just got your feedback that the last dungeon was too easy. Congratulations though!

Yeah I just rolled on through and I found a hilarious bug right after that. Not sure how much game state data you get with feedback reports, so here are some screenshots.

http://i.imgur.com/ASowJZj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I4N93YE.jpg

I Quick Dashed onto the crystal next to Dread Foom, because oh no he was actually damaging me and because why not, and immediately crushed him because that's what I've been doing obviously. I didn't get the victory message immediately when I killed him, I got it the moment I stepped off... but the portal to leave the area spawned at my previous location, underneath the crystal. I was pretty stressed about being stuck in that room until I remembered how I got the portal to spawn there in the first place.

Also, I can't really get back into the Dread Spire since it takes me to the portal in the boss room instead of the main entrance, which is empty of course. I'll have to find some other place to lay down and die. I wonder if I can somehow commit suicide in the scrobold warren...

GeekTheMage fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 13, 2013

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009
Well decided to test what would happen if I found a level 12 corpse. Did so by shooting myself in the face in a easy dungeon at the start.

You get 250 million exp which brings you right back to level 12 along with a ghost in the academy which will fully teach you I think a random set of skills. After trying it I think 4 times my game always crashes when I create a new character. I can choose a name, stats, and class but it crashes the game as soon as I get to the academy. I think I spawned to many ghosts. Also the skills I was able to learn were tricksonometry and iron marksmenx2 or 3. Might want to lower the exp you receive or just make it so a corpse doesn't spawn when you kill yourself.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

It is dead, I hit it with Lava Lance. Trying to attack it gives that ghost actor message.

On a related note, I have Lava Lance bound to both 1 and 5 by accident, and it shows 5 in the skills menu but both work fine.

edit: and I'm pretty sure something is wrong with Trivial enemies (who correctly do not drop Deadpulses) somehow triggering Manabones, but I can't replicate it exactly - I just know my mana is recovering more than it naturally regens even though I'm not seeing any Deadpulses drop - it looks as though the last one killed does drop an invisible Deadpulse, and if you kill another one it goes away? I don't have any way to spend them at the moment but if I gain a level soon and remember I'll throw a skill point at it to check... looks like it might just be the mana regen skill scaling somehow, is it tied to one of my stats? I'm just regenerating more wwith 5 pulses than I was when I first got it.

e2: and this bow is named "Dungeon Missle" :(

e3: and this comma in the last line shouldn't be there!

This one actually probably is intentional (and it was funny), but just in case it isn't, two instances of the same buff with one Fortify scroll:

e4: aaaaa I accidentally selected the wrong category of feedback and then hit escape and the whole feedback window went away!

I hated having to return to the Academy to give Proofs/Books (can there be a NPC in every town who will take them for me?)
I would nerf: the perk that gives you +25% AP (make it 20?), Lava Lance's damage, the Necromanser regen skill (but not the mana-on-Deadpulse-pickup one)
I would buff: Bolt of Foom's mana cost, even if you have to decrease its damage later on or its range all the time. The Scroll of Identify appearance rate after the first few dungeons. The final dungeon itself, especially the final fight.
Diagonal movement felt kind of awkward, since I wasn't using the numpad. On that note, can you make a second "skip turn" key that isn't on the numpad? It was too much of a hassle for me to go into keyboard settings and re-enable my num lock key so I could use it... so every time I got frozen I spammed scrolls and worthless potions and spells targeting no one until I broke free.
Would like more ring variety - there are only four that I found at all, and it seems like Jungle Fighting is just strictly better than the other three unless you're super low level (which could be interesting, speedrun style would make a lot more use of the rings)

I guess that's all my feedback. Well, okay, that sounds kind of negative, so I say that everything I'm not complaining about I really enjoyed, because I did. Probably going to play again and stay away from Wizardmans.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 13, 2013

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've now lost 5 level 5-6 characters to those "Jibby Jibby Jabaroo" enemies in one hit. They look like slamander/lizards mixed with a bear. I just had one, in one turn, close in on me and then do over 85 damage before I even got the chance to use an ability. This has happened in 3 different dungeons at this point. It's super frustrating, one of them had 4 Feats of Stremf on him when he got 1-shotted immediatley after entering a new room. 2 more died from similar "no time to react" situations on the same floor from the same enemy type. I've tried chugging potions also - at one point I had a Lesser Healing, Lesser Champion, and Barkskin going at the same time. Opened a door to the room, salamanderbear comes at me and takes me from 85ish to 12. I back up one step, he kills me.

What.

edit: Also, Poison feels really overpowered at Level 1. I've never had a character survive getting poisoned on floor 1 of the Level 1 dungeons.

edit2: And lost a character, I think. Zoned from Level 3 to Level 4 as a shield specced guy. Saw a poison scorpion so I used "High Guard" without moving off the Steps. I then used "Shield Rush" and targeting the scorpion, but it didn't do anything. I pressed enter a few times more, and then it dashed at the scorpion, but it never actually stopped. My character went gliding off the bottom of the screen past the outer bounds of the map. I Save & Exited to try to fix it, but now whenever I load, I crash. Probably a good time to go to bed, anyway!

jsr v2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 13, 2013

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This one actually probably is intentional (and it was funny), but just in case it isn't, two instances of the same buff with one Fortify scroll
Nothing can beat the sturdiness of mine armor! :madmax:

I think all three of those Sturdys was from one fortify scroll as well.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Went back in for one more run and found a bug, and also have a question.

1) Bug - It seems like using any sort of ability in the entrance room of a new floor causes the game to lock up for 15 seconds to a minute. This also has happened when an enemy has casted a spell in the first room of the floor. So far I've only had this happen with a Sword&Board fighterman, but I haven't checked it with anything else.

2) Question - How do I unlock doors as a Fighterman? I got the bottom level of a dungeon I've been trying to clear for hours, I walk in to a room and get the boss message, and then I'm moved a few steps back and a door appears in front of me that tells me that it is locked and that I cannot unlock doors. What happened here?

This might actually be another bug. Once I opened the door, I was immediately blown back in to the hall by an enemy Wizard, right before the boss message appeared. If the boss is supposed to lock you in with him, then I may have been blown out of the room before the door locked.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
Well, so far my Rangermans have been the most successful. Iron Marksman is the only thing that lets me get past the first Razor-jawed Jibbasnap.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nomadologique posted:

Well, so far my Rangermans have been the most successful. Iron Marksman is the only thing that lets me get past the first Razor-jawed Jibbasnap.
Scroll of Combat Blinking+Bolt of Foom is what did it for me. They really are a serious step up from anything prior to them.

Orcish Marksmans or whatever, the ones that poisoned, also gave me this reaction, dunno about other people who have seen them... but between Jibbasnaps and those Marksmans I'm pretty sure I haven't died to anything else once I hit level 3.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

jsr v2.0 posted:

2) Question - How do I unlock doors as a Fighterman? I got the bottom level of a dungeon I've been trying to clear for hours, I walk in to a room and get the boss message, and then I'm moved a few steps back and a door appears in front of me that tells me that it is locked and that I cannot unlock doors. What happened here?

This might actually be another bug. Once I opened the door, I was immediately blown back in to the hall by an enemy Wizard, right before the boss message appeared. If the boss is supposed to lock you in with him, then I may have been blown out of the room before the door locked.

The doors won't lock anymore, and being knocked back / pushed through doors will break them down.

jsr v2.0 posted:

Ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've now lost 5 level 5-6 characters to those "Jibby Jibby Jabaroo" enemies in one hit.

They're too tough. Some people got around them but basically they're an unreasonable difficulty spike.

jsr v2.0 posted:

edit2: And lost a character, I think. Zoned from Level 3 to Level 4 as a shield specced guy. Saw a poison scorpion so I used "High Guard" without moving off the Steps. I then used "Shield Rush" and targeting the scorpion, but it didn't do anything. I pressed enter a few times more, and then it dashed at the scorpion, but it never actually stopped. My character went gliding off the bottom of the screen past the outer bounds of the map. I Save & Exited to try to fix it, but now whenever I load, I crash. Probably a good time to go to bed, anyway!

I'll have some troubleshooting options available in 1.07 that might help.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Started playing this game a couple days ago, and have been having a tremendous amount of fun with it since.

It does feel very incomplete at the later levels though (as is expected of a beta). I kind of wish that I didn't have to go through so much hassle to unlock Necromansy (Crypts are not a fun dungeon. Going through three crypts is not a fun experience.) Caves are a dungeon I'm a little confused by, is there supposed to be a boss somewhere in there, or are they just passages you can take to go through the mountains?

I've been making good use of the feedback button whenever I do feel the need to comment on something. I love all the different aspects of the game and hope to see it expand tremendously. More academy stuff, please! I also think it would be cool if you could donate the gold you obtain to the academy for some completely ostentatious poo poo, like diamond floors and gold plated walls. Maybe have color coordinated statues in the graveyard to represent what level the player was when they died.

I'm a little bummed out now because my Fightermans has hit level 11 and I *think* I'm nearing the end of the game. It must be a Good Thing if i'm already hankering for new classes and content.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

Started playing this game a couple days ago, and have been having a tremendous amount of fun with it since.

It does feel very incomplete at the later levels though (as is expected of a beta). I kind of wish that I didn't have to go through so much hassle to unlock Necromansy (Crypts are not a fun dungeon. Going through three crypts is not a fun experience.) Caves are a dungeon I'm a little confused by, is there supposed to be a boss somewhere in there, or are they just passages you can take to go through the mountains?

I've been making good use of the feedback button whenever I do feel the need to comment on something. I love all the different aspects of the game and hope to see it expand tremendously. More academy stuff, please! I also think it would be cool if you could donate the gold you obtain to the academy for some completely ostentatious poo poo, like diamond floors and gold plated walls. Maybe have color coordinated statues in the graveyard to represent what level the player was when they died.

I'm a little bummed out now because my Fightermans has hit level 11 and I *think* I'm nearing the end of the game. It must be a Good Thing if i'm already hankering for new classes and content.

I'm glad you're having a good time!

What would make the Crypts more fun? Enemy variety? Challenge?

You are nearing the end of the Summer Preview at level 11. If you're playing build 1.06, you should grab the exe fix here to make the final dungeon not count as Trivial: http://dungeonmans.com/dmans_spire_repair.zip it's a zip with an exe, should (should!) just be able to replace your current one. No other changes of note except that the Dread Spire won't be trivial anymore.

Having the statues in the graveyard be fancier based on the death level of the hero would be a sweet touch!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

madjackmcmad posted:

What would make the Crypts more fun? Enemy variety? Challenge?

There are a couple things about them that irk me. The fact that there's a single staircase leading down on every floor isn't *so* bad, but the thing that makes it worse than something like, say, a labyrinth, is that the floors are much more open-ended and explorable. Couple this with the fact that they are normally tucked away behind a statue, and that a lot of paths within these crypts are just straight up dead-ends, and missing the staircase is a very real problem that has me either a) checking the map every couple minutes or b) Using a scroll to reveal all staircases on the level.

The enemies I think are great in flavor, but they just aren't challenging. I've had characters die in every dungeon but a crypt. When these skeletons do manage to survive one of my 80 point blasts (In a floor that is considered dangerous to my character) they usually don't have a repertoire of interesting moves to keep me on my guard. I know colonels use the counter-attack for every block move, and there are some ice spells to be wary of, but I've never really felt threatened by any of these creatures as, say, a jibbasnap or an orc bowman.

The loot and experience is pretty terrible in all of them, with the only redeeming quality being the books of Necromansy. One thing I like a lot is exploring a dungeon, opening a door, and seeing a big loving horde of orcs or what have you just ready to ruin my day (and then having to think on my feet as to how I'm not going to turn into a fine stew). I think it would be cool if Crypts had something of a risk/reward system to them, where you have some ornate treasure chests lying in the center of a big room. Maybe it has a cool +5 Dungeon Bow for you to rock. Maybe it has 76 copper. But in either case the second you open it you could expect to be swarmed by ghosts/skeletons/zombies. Maybe design a higher-tier damage soak unit equivalent to the orc juggernaut? Throw in a few of those guys too. Hell, maybe even include a necromancer that just wants to ruin your day.

Wells I haven't really done much with, so I can't comment on much.

Again I gotta say I think this game rocks hard and I love the attitudes behind it. I can't wait to see the places this thing is going to go!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I could really use some kind of automatic warning that keeps me from just tapping my way into a clusterfuck by stopping my movement and telling me there are enemies in my line of sight. Got caster bombed and hit by charging melee units in one turn which left me with too little health to take another hit even after a swig of a healing potion which I could have avoided if I'd seen the threats sooner. Also would be nice if I could have the window always centered on my character since it's currently quite possible to be close enough for ranged enemies to smack you around without you seeing them at all.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I had my highest level wizardmans yet (I've forgotten what level he was exactly :v:) and I walked into a room full of orcs and decided now was a good time to try out coldnado. I was wrong. :negative:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

New Kickstarter update here, I go through a bunch of feedback (one of them at least is a known goon!) and talk about the changes ahead. There's also a trio of awesome Let's Play videos, and a touch of information on 1.07 features.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike/posts/540863

I really wanted to crank away on code the last couple of days but there's been a lot of media / business stuff to handle and a full day of that makes me just want to stick my head in the microwave. I did get knockbacks fixed so that they destroy doors and breakables, that is super fun.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
You used one of my comments in the Kickstarter update! :allears: Actually I feel like a bunch of those were from this thread. That's cheating!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Devor posted:

You used one of my comments in the Kickstarter update! :allears: Actually I feel like a bunch of those were from this thread. That's cheating!

They were pulled straight from the feedback files I have on the server. If most of that feedback came from goons, it's because goons are the best at writing feedback!

My favorite one so far is

quote:

when i identify an item and then equip it my ranged attacks stop auto-targeting and i have to save/quit and re-enter game to get it to work again. awesome game other than that. great job!

Player: fuckthisgame

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

one of those loving wizards used his "shove you acrosss room from twenty feet away" spell to push me out of this boss room, then when I was moving back to re-enter it, the boss taunted me and locked the doors. :mad:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

madjackmcmad posted:

They were pulled straight from the feedback files I have on the server. If most of that feedback came from goons, it's because goons are the best at writing feedback!

My favorite one so far is

That player is silly, you only need to uenquip and reequip the bow to get automatic targeting back. Still needs fixing though.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That player is silly, you only need to uenquip and reequip the bow to get automatic targeting back. Still needs fixing though.

The humor to me was that he ended with "Awesome game, great job!" and his character was named fuckthisgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
People had problems with the Totally Fair and Balanced Monster? of all the things that have killed me, he has never been an issue. He is a total chumpmans as long as you aren't a Rangermans :smug:

Kind of prying open the lid here, but can you talk a bit about the formulas and uses of the Science stat? Out of all the stats it feels like the worst, but I can't tell if that's because it's not working correctly or because its effects get overshadowed by Jungle Ring Foomsplosions and Coldnadoes.

Speaking of, you can't nerf Jungle Rings, you'll regret this! :argh:

• Locked thread