Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
drat how is this the neo heroes plot suddenly so hype after being so boring for so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sweet Mask just can't catch a break

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Runa posted:

His ribs would say otherwise

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

His ribs would say otherwise

drat

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Runa posted:

It's nice how much he chilled out though.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
What are the odds Saitama just accidentally killed Blue? That line at the end has me wondering.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
oh baby yes

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

drat how is this the neo heroes plot suddenly so hype after being so boring for so long

I never found this plot boring, but it was painfully obvious they were behind everything and it was just a waiting game for them to finally tip their hand. The massive delays between chapters didn't help with this.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lamebot posted:

What are the odds Saitama just accidentally killed Blue? That line at the end has me wondering.

It'd be an interesting turn for the series, anyway. I kind of doubt it, though. I'd say more likely than not there will be some cyborg bullshit or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the point is that he destroyed the power suit

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's been so many years since monster association that I forgot how good ONE is at building up absolute dread only for one punch man to one punch all over everything and make it better

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
So after this chapter what are we thinking is going on with Genos? It seems he is under programming to kill Metal Knight, which might suggest that he's always been a tool of The Organization.

I always thought his backstory was flimsy, and for a while I have been thinking that he was basically designed to find someone strong, learn everything he can from them, and get strong himself, all while being secretly motivated by a fake boogeyman cyborg (that might turn out to be himself)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think he's just obsessed with revenge.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think the boys starting to doubt if saitamas a good master and if the time he had with him was productive.
Its been coming for a while now, especially with the death of Dr Kuseno, and saitama is just not equipped to help him deal with that.

Were in the Reigen disappoints Mob phase of the story.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 26, 2024

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Also that he was/is crutching on him. The answer to "why did I let such a dangerous man (metal knight) go about free" being answered by "well, saitama exists and could fix it instantly" isn't necessarily WRONG its just not the Man of Action answer that Genos wants to have

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

In any case, Saitama never asked to be his fixation/mentor/crush, and for most of their has either barely tolerated or actively pushed back against the dynamic. It's funny that he would have an instinct to blame him for any of his problems

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno. Even if Saitama hasn't been an actively good mentor (since he doesn't want to be one) in the same way that Sonic is now basically S class from wanting to beat Saitama I think Genos has benefited from being around him and trying to improve so he can measure up.

Genos started out very much as big fish in small pond and probably would have just stagnated.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

I dunno. Even if Saitama hasn't been an actively good mentor (since he doesn't want to be one) in the same way that Sonic is now basically S class from wanting to beat Saitama I think Genos has benefited from being around him and trying to improve so he can measure up.

Genos started out very much as big fish in small pond and probably would have just stagnated.

Genos would be dead since he really loved the idea of blowing himself up when his opponent proves too powerful for him. Mosquito Girl would have been the end of Genos' story.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Eggplant Squire posted:

The manga drives the point home harder, I think, but pretty much every character that spends time around Saitama is getting stronger. Genos is basically going down the same path Saitama did to get so strong: pushing his limits to the brink of death over and over, and coming back stronger each time.

I read the last chapter as Genos being controlled by some latent programming to kill Metal Knight. As he mentioned upon seeing Boros, when we were first introduced he was a cold, emotionless death machine. Saitama has helped restore his humanity.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Bucswabe posted:

The manga drives the point home harder, I think, but pretty much every character that spends time around Saitama is getting stronger. Genos is basically going down the same path Saitama did to get so strong: pushing his limits to the brink of death over and over, and coming back stronger each time.

I read the last chapter as Genos being controlled by some latent programming to kill Metal Knight. As he mentioned upon seeing Boros, when we were first introduced he was a cold, emotionless death machine. Saitama has helped restore his humanity.

I feel like I have never trusted Doctor Kuseno completely and when he last asked Genos if he had recovered any more of his memories he looked almost nervous. Originally I thought the secret he was hiding was that Genos is himself the mad cyborg robot he is looking for, but now I’m starting to wonder if maybe the good doctor created Genos in a bid to kill metal knight for some reason and then Genos went mad and murdered his own family .Or he is literally working WITH metal knight; We saw how interested Metal Knight was is Saitama when he was reviewing the security footage, and then the first thing Kurema does when he meets Saitama is to scan his body.Or Kurema is working with another organization that wants Metal Knight dead…do we know yet whom Drive Knight reports to?

Can’t wait to see how this all plays out!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
metal knight didn't know anything about saitama until he caught saitama on camera doing his usual thing. by contrast, kuseno had undoubtedly heard all about saitama from genos because that's the only subject he speaks about at length. also, unlike the hero org he knows genos isn't a delusional weirdo obsessed with some random guy.

this is also why the robots that killed kuseno were probably not sent by metal knight. when he saw saitama in action, metal knight actually measured the forces involved instead of dismissing it out of hand like most people. so, he shouldn't be inclined to attack kuseno while saitama was right there.

that, and also how it was so obviously drive knight setting up genos that i can't believe it's in question.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah Drive Knight has been pretty transparently manipulating Genos to kill Metal Knight for some nefarious end.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Person Dyslexic posted:

I feel like I have never trusted Doctor Kuseno completely and when he last asked Genos if he had recovered any more of his memories he looked almost nervous. Originally I thought the secret he was hiding was that Genos is himself the mad cyborg robot he is looking for, but now I’m starting to wonder if maybe the good doctor created Genos in a bid to kill metal knight for some reason and then Genos went mad and murdered his own family .Or he is literally working WITH metal knight; We saw how interested Metal Knight was is Saitama when he was reviewing the security footage, and then the first thing Kurema does when he meets Saitama is to scan his body.Or Kurema is working with another organization that wants Metal Knight dead…do we know yet whom Drive Knight reports to?

Can’t wait to see how this all plays out!

I was interested in this discussion, so I went back and re-read chapter 140, where Drive Knight is recruiting Genos to attack Metal Knight (while Drive Knight stays out of it, I guess??), and where Genos goes back to discuss it with Saitama and Kuseno. A couple things caught my attention:
- Genos gets a sudden feeling of "losing control" and says he feels like he could "go on a rampage" while he's talking to Drive Knight (this is before Kuseno is killed)
- Kuseno is immediately on board the plan to attack Metal Knight, and even expresses genuine surprise that Genos was able to "suppress the urge to rush in alone"
- When Kuseno sees that Saitama is the one calming Genos down, he get's a weird expression on his face (hard to tell exactly what the expression is with ONE's art) and then asks to scan Saitama.

So my current theory is that Kuseno is (or was) connected to the The Organization and therefore Metal Knight is an enemy (interesting that Child Emperor implied that the Organization's AI was likely originally created by Bofoi). Genos himself is probably the Mad Cyborg, who was programmed to get stronger through the urge to get revenge on the imaginary insanely powerful opponent.

I'm still not 100% sure Kuseno was playing Genos the whole time since he was apparently killed by the Organization (maybe the whole thing was a set-up?); and I'm still not 100% sure what Drive Knight's role in all of this is. A couple chapters ago, Drive Knight was by himself, and seemed to be commenting on the types of robots that were being deployed - sort of suggesting that he's not the one who's actually pulling all the strings.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Honestly my working theory is that Kuseno is rogue from the organization and took Genos with him when he left intending to rehabilitate him as an act of penance.

Metal knight is skeevy as all get out but I think he'll actually turn out to just be an rear end in a top hat rather than evil and is at war with the organization.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm expecting neither of them were up to anything nefarious and they're just two different flavors of difficult to work with. Bofoi: An rear end in a top hat. Metal Knight: Expressionless.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Should probably clarify that Bofoi and Metal Knight are the same person, Drive Knight is the one with the cyclops mask

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah I meant to say Drive Knight is expressionless and he's hard to read a tone from. Especially unvoiced as a manga character. He either needs a rolodex of face masks or one of those LED masks to layer text emoji faces onto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Never seen Kuseno and Drive Knight in the same room....