Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

sever

god of cookery is the best chow movie imo
Does there exist a version with decent subtitles? The one I have is in parts barely understandable.

Some time ago I didn't pay close attention when looking for The One Armed Swordsman on youtube and ended up watching One Armed Swordsmen instead. It was pretty terrible but in an amazing way: The plot revolves around a protracted nonsensical murder mystery, everybody has just one arm and the final fight happens in a henhouse with chickens flying all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
From what I could find someone on reddit claimed that it was from a Japanese show called "Elite Yankee Saburo" (エリートヤンキー三郎). There are subtitled episodes of this show on youtube, the style looks somewhat similar but I'm not completely convinced.

EDIT: Might be from the 2009 movie actually.
EDIT2: Found it. Unfortunately only with Chinese subs.

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 5, 2017

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
I have been a fan of the subgenre of Hongkong witchery movies for a while now. If you enjoy Boxer's Omen and Bewitched I am pretty sure you'll also like Black Magic, Black Magic 2 and the classic Seeding of a Ghost. The movies are worth it for the massively creative black magic rituals alone. They are even available in pretty nice editions via 88-Films.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

And More posted:

Which one is your favourite, then? These appeal to me massively (it basically is what I wanted Only God Forgives to be), but I can only afford so many fancy imported dvds.
It has to be Seeding of a Ghost then!

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

And More posted:

Done.

What are your thoughts on Hex? It stands out to me for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twWoqZoPotE
Great, tell us what you thought of it after watching!

Yeah, I saw Hex but it is much closer to traditional Chinese period ghost movies (which I also like a lot) than those other films. Though the final exorcism is awesome and really sets it apart! Btw the the body-writing-ear-ripping part is an homage (well rip-off but that doesn't take anything away) to the classic Japanese ghost movie Kwaidan, which makes it even more charming for me.

I won't spoil it but Seeding of a Ghost rips-off another famous horror movie in its finale in a highly entertaining way.

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 2, 2019

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

And More posted:

So, I decided to get Bewitched along with Seeding of a Ghost, mainly because I wanted to know if the Boxer's Omen would make more sense afterwards. It does not.

Bewitched is pretty cool in its own right for having so many different rituals and curses (all with their own Inglorious Basterds title card). Many scenes are pretty stylish, with sudden red and blue tinting, lens flares and overlapping transition effects. The premise of a father killing his child initially reminded me of The Wailing, which is a good thing. Imo, having two protagonists was a little too ambitious, though. The movie couldn't really get me to care about the cop.

Seeding of a Ghost definitely takes the cake, though. When that pregnant woman explodes and her placenta gets lodged in the doctor's face, melting it in the process :barf: The entire finale ripping off the Thing is also incredibly well done. Technically, the puppets look worse, but they are so terrible that they loop around to being pretty nightmarish, imo. It also really differentiates itself by making you root for the taxi driver and his awful demon baby. You want these people to die, and for once that's actually intentional.

Of course, fight scenes aren't really the focus of these films, but I still enjoyed the two fights in Seeding of a Ghost. They had kind of a gritty inventiveness to them. The Boxer's Omen also was massively improved by having the boxing matches as a framing device. Maybe they're onto something with that combination.

I like how both movies have this weird combination of gratuitous nudity and absolutely grody body horror. Bewitched's final title card is particularly funny in that regard: "Please don't do voodoo, and also stop having casual sex."

The quality of these 88-Films Blu-rays is outstanding, by the way. Just really solid image quality for something that seems like it should only exist as a VHS. Might check out the audio commentary later on.
Glad you liked Seeding of a Ghost! To be honest I thought more of Alien than of The Thing regarding the ending but I can definitely see that as well.
To be honest, when the title card came up in Bewitched I literally laughed out loud. Though tagging on the pretension of some moral is very much in the tradition of exploitation films. I also love the catalogue of super creative spells in the movie, like the Lemon Curse where needles are put in a Lemon which is the put into the street and the target suffers whenever someone steps on that spot.

@Halloween Jack: Somehow the movies are completely mixed up in my memories. Probably time to rewatch at least Black Magic 2.

I wanted to check out Centipede Horror (full movie on youtube) for a while though I wonder whether it's just centipede related gross out stuff, which I don't really need in my life, or if there are any awesome rituals to be found.

Btw does anybody know if there are more movies in the vein of The Mystical Fighters, Shaolin Drunkard and Taoism Drunkard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

meefistopheles posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts films that kind of blend in the supernatural? Supernatural ranging from wirework to laser swords. Anything with fancy camera tricks and interesting practical effects would be a great bonus. I've seen a few already, so if it's something you'd like to check out I would really recommend:

Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain
Dragon Inn

Encounters of the Spooky Kind
The Miracle Fighters
Come Drink With Me
A Touch of Zen
The Seventh Curse
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Seconding Holy Flame of the Martial World. The Battle Wizard is worse but still fun. If you liked The Miracle Fighters you will also enjoy Shaolin Drunkard and Taosim Drunkard. It has been a while so I'm not completely sure it fits your list but I liked The Bride With White Hair a lot. And while Tsui Hark's Green Snake isn't that special as far as action is concerned the style and the capricious snake demons make more than up for it.

This reminds me, if you ever wanted to see a trailer that contains the whole movie (including the main theme!) while being way better than the actual movie, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFN9YTTl8Jo