Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Trying to sell the intruder. The buyer's come to see it and wants it. The price is right for everyone. He's in a town about 45 minutes away that I have to go to a couple of times a week anyway. The following conversation happens:

It's been 8 hours and I'm thinking about telling him to go gently caress himself if he messages me back. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

I've never had luck with this sort of "buyer". It's always the person who asks a little bit and then is more eager about when and where they can meet than other things that shows up ready to close the deal.

Heck, this guy has nothing lost if you show up and he offers you half the agreed price. Tell him to go gently caress himself as soon as he responds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah i wouldnt even waste time responding to him. the best buyers for me are the ones who ask the least questions (that aren't answered in the ad), because that usually means they've already read it in its entirety and still decided to come see the bike.

i dont play 21 questions over the phone with random turds

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I won't go super out of my way to answer questions on the phone/text - if someone asks for a couple more pictures of the bike, sure. Beyond that, I will give 5 minutes of my time, max, and then I tell them when I'm available for them to come by and see the bike in person.

Coydog's experience matches mine - if they're for real, they'll set a time to come out and look at it in person. Otherwise they'll keep firing off random BS texts/emails for weeks, and I end up blocking them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Trying to sell the intruder.

This guy is a waste of your time. Tell him to go gently caress start a blender.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yep, serious buyers are keen to get their hands on the bike and do the deal before anyone else can get in there, I have never had a successful sale to anyone who dicks around like that.

cursedshitbox posted:

This guy is a waste of your time. Tell him to go gently caress start a blender.

What a wonderful phrase :allears:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I successfully sold a bike under circumstances like that once, but the dicking-around was only because the intended test driver was under house arrest and the bike was for his (not-yet-rider) wife. :v:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Went round in a few more circles with him last night. Turns out he's buying it for his partner and it's supposed to be a surprise hence the schedule problems. Also I think he's a little bit autistic and maybe the trying to keep it secret thing spilled over into communicating with me.

Anyway, dropped it off today and got my asking price so it's all good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That's a surprise happy ending.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

you should probably buy a lotto ticket

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

you should probably buy a lotto ticket

I bought a lotto ticket yesterday, for yesterday's extra big draw. The guy at the counter gave me a ticket for saturday's regular draw instead and I didn't notice until just now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fun fact: you can't rebuild ktm 390 engines. Why? Because the main bearing shells don't exist. As in there's no ktm part number for them, they aren't in the parts catalogue, they aren't mentioned in the factory workshop manual.

I've only just found this out after the owner of the bike has already forked out for a crankshaft, conrod, gasket set and other sundries.

Ready to race!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
^^ Sorry to hear that people keep pranking you with KTM work.

On ~MY ZERO~ you can turn off the headlight, by abusing a design flaw in the hi/lo switch. I’ve heard that this was kept by Zero on purpose, as it allows a sales crew to leave the bike keyed on for hours to demo it without the incandescent headlight melting into a pile of goo.

(The bike is “running” in that state but won’t move with the kickstand down)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Slavvy, I know you know your poo poo and are a really good mechanic but... I refuse to believe that a critical replacement part is unavailable for a non chinese motorcycle. Is the component included as part of a larger piece?

Ulf posted:

^^ Sorry to hear that people keep pranking you with KTM work.

On ~MY ZERO~ you can turn off the headlight, by abusing a design flaw in the hi/lo switch. I’ve heard that this was kept by Zero on purpose, as it allows a sales crew to leave the bike keyed on for hours to demo it without the incandescent headlight melting into a pile of goo.

(The bike is “running” in that state but won’t move with the kickstand down)

What is the "design flaw"? Some middle position?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Slavvy, I know you know your poo poo and are a really good mechanic but... I refuse to believe that a critical replacement part is unavailable for a non chinese motorcycle. Is the component included as part of a larger piece?

It might come with the complete engine case maybe? Genuine ktm parts diagrams are easily found online, it's a 2016 rc390 if you want to have a look; I really really want someone to prove me wrong so I don't have to have the worst conversation in the world. I've never encountered this before on any other bike, even other KTM's. It's a plain journal bearing so there's no generic option.

What's really bizarre is they went to the trouble of having two different kinds of crankshaft throw and corresponding big end shell, and there's pretty normal concise instructions on checking clearance, end float etc but there is literally no mention of the main bearing anywhere in the workshop manual or parts catalogue.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Group rides suck. Keeping track of people behind you is as exhausting as avoiding what's in front of you.

I got an invite from a buddy of mine to go on a ride, and he's a photographer that always finds cool spots so I agreed to meet up with him. I also invited two of my buddies (Honda Shadow Phantom and Honda Fury) that I've known and ridden with for about as long as I've been riding, and a good friend of mine that I recently did a long trip with (Harley Ultra Classic), and his son (Yamaha FZ07). So we met up with the photo dude (HD Sportster), a friend of his that we all know (HD Fat Bob), and a guy I just met today (Shadow 750), as well as the guy's mom and dad who were also on a Shadow 750. As soon as we meet up, the Shadow 750s say their first goal is to get something to eat, and then some gas, and Shadow 750 Jr says he really wants to get a beer before we go riding. Sure, not my bag, but if you have a lot of experience and you've got a high enough tolerance, I'm not about to get in your way. Come to find out Shadow 750 Jr had just passed the BRC about 3 weeks ago, and has about 500 total miles on a motorcycle.

Harley UC probably has the most experience and miles out of everyone, followed by me and Sportster, so we decided a nice calm ride down some mostly straight roads would be the best destination. It was about 40 miles over 80 minutes, not too bad, but I kept worrying that Shadow 750 Jr was going to yeet himself straight off the road. I'm not going to proselytize to anyone about the way they should be riding, but having a license for 3 weeks and then drinking a couple beers and going on a group ride is probably not the best series of decisions. Everyone arrived without incident but those 40 miles were more exhausting than the hundreds of miles a day I did in South Dakota.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t think I’d ride with someone who has been drinking, regardless of experience. I rode my bicycle drunk once, and it’s not something I would plan to do again. I can’t imagine thinking it’s a good idea on a motorcycle.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

two beers is not drunk lol

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It literally is in a short time span wtf

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Two beers for me is impairing enough that I wouldn't trust myself but could probably still get home fine if I stuck to legal speeds.

Two beers for my missus is READY to PAAARTTAAAY bridesmaids style.

Lmao at going on a group ride with morons like that though. Never ever go on rides with people you don't know personally/have been on individual rides with before. Even like four people who only dimly know eachother can turn into a disaster, because everyone's margins of error, comfort zones and expectations of what to do when x happens is so different.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Literally the only person I ride with is my dad, and thats mostly because I sold him the bike and sometimes it weighs on my conscience. He leads 99% of the time so I can follow at his pace.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Group rides in general suck. Doubly so if anyone has ideas about beer stops. One of my buddies was all about having beers on rides or before and I just quit riding with him all together.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

No thanks pal, I always ride alone.
:goonsay:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Group Ride? Nein Danke! Ich Bin Ein Goon.

Coydog posted:

What is the "design flaw"? Some middle position?
Yeah, if you float it between the hi/lo detents it will turn off. I do it in tunnels sometimes when I want to trigger my headlamp’s startup lightshow. :shobon:

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

It might come with the complete engine case maybe? Genuine ktm parts diagrams are easily found online, it's a 2016 rc390 if you want to have a look; I really really want someone to prove me wrong so I don't have to have the worst conversation in the world. I've never encountered this before on any other bike, even other KTM's. It's a plain journal bearing so there's no generic option.

What's really bizarre is they went to the trouble of having two different kinds of crankshaft throw and corresponding big end shell, and there's pretty normal concise instructions on checking clearance, end float etc but there is literally no mention of the main bearing anywhere in the workshop manual or parts catalogue.

If it's a plain bearing without anything too wild going on, can you pay someone to machine it? That's a reasonably simple part so even if the surface has to be some **ultra precision** whatever, a machine shop should probably be able to knock it out without charging you completely comical quantities of money.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

If it's a plain bearing without anything too wild going on, can you pay someone to machine it? That's a reasonably simple part so even if the surface has to be some **ultra precision** whatever, a machine shop should probably be able to knock it out without charging you completely comical quantities of money.

This would probably work if I knew the oil clearance, which I don't, because any measurement of such would involve mentioning the main bearing in the manual, which I assume is against the law in styria.

I'm not sure if you can make plain bearings out of steel anyway, I can't recall why they're made of what they're made of but it's important.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Oh yeah reading more it seems like main bearings have like 3 different metal layers and all kinds of other junk going on so probably not a diy part. So extra galaxy brain to make such a thing non-serviceable.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/FriedsonAndrew/status/1302591878957862912

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

Depending on exactly what the beer is it is, legally, drunk in big chunks of the world.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This is mental. 20% of recent COVID cases in America as the result of one utterly irresponsible bike meet.

America is not good at this at all.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Unfortunately the people who would benefit from this the most are too stupid to understand it. It was not hard to wear a mask and distance yourself while there, but maybe that’s just because I’m from a state with strict policies and am not willing to die to see Smashmouth.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't ride with people that would happily risk your safety by riding impaired or not wearing a mask. Not that hard.

Obviously,

Steakandchips posted:

America is not good at this at all.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Rugged individualism + broke brains = good times

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

It sure can be depending on your weight and the beer in question.

There are some gnarly 18% beers out there

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
all it takes is the right circumstances, when i was in breck after snowboarding all day i took a dip in the hot tub and had 1 bud light. got out after 30 minutes and thought i was on jupiter.

had to take a knee and slump against the wall for like 5 minutes lol

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depending on exactly what the beer is it is, legally, drunk in big chunks of the world.

You're right, but it's moot. Drunk doesn't matter, because two drinks is plenty to alter your judgement or reaction time just enough to yeet off a curve or try a stupid pass. You might not even be legally impaired, maybe you could even pass a field sobriety test. Really subtle poo poo like perception of speed and depth of field are affected way earlier than you can actually sense any level of intoxication. Going "woops, heh heh" and stabbing the brakes a bit late in a car is going to turn out ok, but you're hosed on a bike a lot of the time.

And alcohol affects everyone differently. I had a friend who could carry on completely normal conversation, didn't even change his tone of voice or speech patterns until like 8 beers, but his legs would quit working after 3.

I have been waiting on these numbers with morbid anticipation.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If only there was some standardized system of measuring how much alcohol is enough to impair humans to the point they shouldn't operate vehicles or firearms or machinery.

ah well

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Around a month ago there was a guy ripping hits off a dab rig at the biker hangout spot at the time of our canyon ride, I can't think of anything worse personally.

(dab rigs are what happens when someone said what if we took the way we smoke meth and used it to smoke weed concentrates)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I wasn’t saying 2 beers = drunk but I can see how it’s implied, and depending on the circumstance it could be. But it doesn’t even matter, to me. It’s at best poor judgement and isn’t someone I’d be riding with, especially if it means riding at 30mph in a straight line for their benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
This is from up the page, but is a new crankshaft typically part of an engine rebuild, or is it just considered "sundries"?