Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Just monitor and spritz in more water when necessary. Eventually gonna add an arduino controlled sprayer
i'm also planning an arduino-based watering system using these HiLetGo moisture sensors https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Moisture-Automatic-Watering-Arduino/dp/B01DKISKLO/

I'm busy job hunting at the moment, but I'll share whatever code and hardware schematic I come up with when it's working. If you get yours working before I do, I would appreciate you sharing yours unless you want to keep it private.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

echinopsis posted:

STILL need to put some time into fleshing out the content. why is this part so hard????????

i have struggled with this my entire life except when i was a dumb teenager

it's because you're in engineer cool brain mode and not in artist brain mode. because of this I (and I suspect many, many others) lean to more systemy-simmy-generative (aka 'not') game design. i've been trying to get in the mode of level designing but it's hard poo poo man when you want to make universes not implementation details like 'is it any fun at all' or 'this impossible to debug system that i love more than i could love any merely human child is less effective here than a jpeg would be'

engineer brain mode is awesome because you know when something works because the computer tells you so.
artist brain mode is all self-doubt and squishy, nothing seems good enough, inspiration is never when you need it. so it can be rough switching between the purity of absolute truth and the gross mess of your humanity

here's something i think you should try: go out to your local contemporary art gallery. you'll find some stuff that's totally inspirational and amazing, which is great, but for me the better fuel is the poo poo stuff, and there'll be a lot. not 'easy to execute', because that doesn't affect anything, or 'childish', but super clumsy conceptually, that you can see what they were trying to do and missed the mark entirely. stare at that stuff. take a picture. take a selfie. you are there with this trash art, which a dumbass curator thought was good enough for the majestic building you find yourself in.

and then you might realise hey, holy poo poo, being creative isn't this far off goal, a mountain of skill and acclaim you have to scale, it's just someone just like you loving around and having fun, just like what you like to do, and telling people something you think is funny or important in a way they can't otherwise do, just like you need to do. the only difference between them and you is they did it, and they put it out there because there is no point in writing a letter and never mailing it. the point of a letter, of art, is to communicate, not demonstrate some mastery over medium. just get someone feel a thing you want them to feel, that's all you have to do, and you can definitely do that, and you can definitely do it better than most.

so realise this, internalise this, then, find a way to have fun. game designers need to have more fun than the players playing the game do. go crazy. gently caress anyone who doesn't get it, it's not for them. tell a lie with your artist brain and make it true with your engineer brain. you can do all of this.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

gently caress anyone

same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm nice words though. I really really really can't drop this just because its getting hard. I appreciate the thoughts, there some wisdom amongst that fever dream

in some ways it's not actually hard to make myself think about good ideas, it's just when it's time to put pen to paper, that's challenging. ideas can exist half formed in the mind, and the mind is not concerned about them being half formed, it's quite content with the parts you've imagined. but when you put pen to paper you're forced to face that gaps in the ideas exist, and it's that filling the gaps that is challenging.

BUT, this game is slowly evolving WHILE I create content, and I am forcing myself to make strictly nothing but content here and there (like, for the next hour just write), and some of it is much worse than others, but I keep playing the game, and the poo poo content pisses me off so I change it when a better idea comes along. and I am managaing to somehow evolve the game a bit.

it's becoming almost adventurey. at laest in that crimes have a story about them, and you might need to scare a kid, and he drops a skateboard, and now you can skateboard. but you didn't know that before you scared him.

and I think I know how to turn the inventory into buttons so that you can click them and read old school style descriptions of things

https://twitter.com/_crimecommitter/status/1542783002715234304

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i dob't think skateboarding should consume the skateboard but maybe its real extreme skateboarding

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

spankmeister posted:

i dob't think skateboarding should consume the skateboard but maybe its real extreme skateboarding

you lose it while running from the cops

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Broke it doing a sick grind

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I managed to get MacMach to partially boot on an emulated Mac IIx in MAME

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just had a criminally good idea

I was worried about the conflict where I want to provide plenty of content but it was going to create a sea of buttons..

neighbourhoods.. :smugmrgw:
presented as tabs. plenty of room for content now
well
once I do it

this is progress: I wanted to make my inventory be so you could click on each item and it show a description. I created a new branch to avoid breaking the website BUT managed to do the whole thing in less than an hour

atm also going back to working out the best experience for a new player. ie: very quickly you can start a 20 hour crime, and also an hour crime. and short ones too. defo, and no surprises here, but the challenge is creating a hierarchy of challenges with the right balance of costs and rewards to encourage replay

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

eschaton posted:

I managed to get MacMach to partially boot on an emulated Mac IIx in MAME

this owns

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
unfortunately this is about as far as I can get right now

I’m going to use the NetBSD mac68k installation tools (and some other stuff, like pdisk on macOS) to shove the full set of files from the MacMach root and usr tarballs into a 4.3BSD-compatible FFS filesystem

then I can change the partition type to what MacMach expects (Apple_Free, of all things) and see whether booting from that rather than the combined kernel and RAM disk file on the Mac—just in case the Mac-side combined file is too old or missing something critical

I’m also planning to just boot NetBSD for mac68k on MAME to ensure that what I’m hitting isn’t a MAME bug; I need to retrieve my Mac IIx from a friend before I can actually try to boot on real hardware, since it seems to just not work on either an emulated or real Mac IIci

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Bought some extremely cheap voip phones. Installed FreePBX. Got a 25w amp board and loudspeaker.

Hello up there.

Gonna tie it into the HomeAssistant and sensors. Got a long driveway strangers like to drive down if I leave the chain down, will be nice to have alerts.
I plan to write some python to listen to NOAA NWWS-OI weather alerts and announce.
I'd like to also be able to use Allstar Asterisk to tie to my 2m ham radio, but this is going to require diving into arcane old ham radio software to setup a trunk. hmm.

Dry run on the ground.
The "speaker wire" is copper coated aluminum, didn't realize I purchased this garbage.
The ferrule for 14awg doesn't fit in these absolute poo poo-rear end terminal blocks, so I had to cut stranded conductors away. Gross.

Wiring closet, looking professional, yes. Got some cheap ebay ET605 phones setup to auto-answer.
Going to 3d print enclosure and phone mount to fit on 1u mount to clean it up.

Its extremely loud, already getting complaints from the SO. Its only at 50% volume (amp is 25w, speaker rated to 50w), not sure I see the problem.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

eschaton posted:

unfortunately this is about as far as I can get right now

I’m going to use the NetBSD mac68k installation tools (and some other stuff, like pdisk on macOS) to shove the full set of files from the MacMach root and usr tarballs into a 4.3BSD-compatible FFS filesystem

then I can change the partition type to what MacMach expects (Apple_Free, of all things) and see whether booting from that rather than the combined kernel and RAM disk file on the Mac—just in case the Mac-side combined file is too old or missing something critical

I’m also planning to just boot NetBSD for mac68k on MAME to ensure that what I’m hitting isn’t a MAME bug; I need to retrieve my Mac IIx from a friend before I can actually try to boot on real hardware, since it seems to just not work on either an emulated or real Mac IIci

iirc that actually is a MAME thing that also prevents a/ux from booting :smith:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

40gbe home network, here i come! (still waiting for the fancy mpo fiber cable to arrive from ebay)

sawing a giant fan hole in my brand new mikrotik switch was fun

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you need more cameras

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

you need more cameras

:yeah:

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
the big ones are dead and obsolete, but add to the ambiance.

currently at 130megapixels/sec overall, SO doesn't think I need more but I'm glad yall agree

horse_ebookmarklet fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 3, 2022

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

40gbe home network, here i come! (still waiting for the fancy mpo fiber cable to arrive from ebay)

sawing a giant fan hole in my brand new mikrotik switch was fun

... cool and all with 40gbe, but are you gonna be in the same room as that thing when you're posting?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it's the livingroom switch yes, it's inaudible with noctua fans
the basement one at the other end has the standard loud fans

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I made this thing - I don't know what it is.
Like this pink and cyan thing scurries around and feeds the hexagon plants, and then the yellow crashes into the green hexagons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoRI1AfWM6I

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

drat i thought i was cool with 10gbe home network but now ive just been BUSTED

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’ve been working on adding my PS/2 to MAME because I’m clinically insane. I just got it to boot DOS and my reference disk

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1544440271970123780?s=20&t=ErRK4VxdL6DJ5gaoggPvBg

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can now go token ring -> Ethernet -> internet through the power of OS/2.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1551426368021401603?s=20&t=Ef43GiRAub5iEBp9od1z0A

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

woah

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
After reading that post about the hacker news guy who decreased his co2 levels in his house with hydroponic lettuce I've been jonesing to grow just a gently caress ton of lettuce in my office

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

How much did it drop?
I wouldn't mind reducing my indoor co2 but I suspect it's real hard to get it below the 500ppm-ish ambient level

it sucks that the netatmo outdoor module doesn't track co2 to give a reference

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

400-1000 ppm is standard for an occupied room, so yeah, you're about as low as you can reasonably get

outdoors is 250-400 ppm for comparison

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there a benefit?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
less co2 means more room for farts

r u ready to WALK posted:

How much did it drop?
I wouldn't mind reducing my indoor co2 but I suspect it's real hard to get it below the 500ppm-ish ambient level

it sucks that the netatmo outdoor module doesn't track co2 to give a reference

this is pretty neat, what is it

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

RokosCockatrice posted:

After reading that post about the hacker news guy who decreased his co2 levels in his house with hydroponic lettuce I've been jonesing to grow just a gently caress ton of lettuce in my office

grow a gently caress ton of devils lettuce

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

less co2 means more room for farts

this is pretty neat, what is it

netatmo weather station plus this app: https://agross.at/netmo/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

is there a benefit?

in theory lower co2 levels make you feel more awake

in practice ever since covid became a thing people on the internet have become obsessed with measuring co2 levels in rooms they're in

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I've been working through the Cryptopals challenges, gotten as far as Set 1 Challenge 7, AES in ECB mode.

It's taken a few hours and a bunch of sources - wikipedia, which is correct but incomprehensible for the most part, a guide which is simple but misses out the detail, and a pdf that gives the state matrix after each step but is misleading and also has a couple of typos in the expected state - but I've now got a working AES implementation, for encryption at least. The code is dead simple and most of the concepts and transforms are too, but truly understanding some parts of the math (the mix-columns step, mainly) is a bit more complicated and I certainly don't get it yet.

Also I can't find a step-by-step state example for decryption, so I'm just going to have to figure it out myself. I'm assuming its just 'do the inverse of each operation in reverse order', and most operations are easy to inverse, but I've got no idea how to do the inverse of 'mix columns'.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

I've been working through the Cryptopals challenges, gotten as far as Set 1 Challenge 7, AES in ECB mode.

It's taken a few hours and a bunch of sources - wikipedia, which is correct but incomprehensible for the most part, a guide which is simple but misses out the detail, and a pdf that gives the state matrix after each step but is misleading and also has a couple of typos in the expected state - but I've now got a working AES implementation, for encryption at least. The code is dead simple and most of the concepts and transforms are too, but truly understanding some parts of the math (the mix-columns step, mainly) is a bit more complicated and I certainly don't get it yet.

Also I can't find a step-by-step state example for decryption, so I'm just going to have to figure it out myself. I'm assuming its just 'do the inverse of each operation in reverse order', and most operations are easy to inverse, but I've got no idea how to do the inverse of 'mix columns'.

I don't think the point of cryptopals is to do a ground-up implementation of AES but I applaud you for doing so!

The inverse of MixColumns is exactly the same but you use a different matrix. This Wikipedia page has it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijndael_MixColumns

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
^^^ yeah thats dead useful, I just didn't quite get the maths of the Galois stuff and didn't want to just copy paste a bunch of stuff. all makes sense now though, I think, and decryption works!

if you do the cryptopals challenges it's well worth doing AES yourself if you can put an evening or two into it. Only reason it took me so long was that I wasted literally an hour trying to figure out why my expanded keys didn't match the reference output (the reference never mentioned that 'add' means 'xor' and the reference output had a typo!)

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 31, 2022

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
for my actual idiot spare time projects I recently found a core issue with my 3d printer and fixed it- literally years of debugging are better explained by the new diagnosis, and the last 40 hours of printing are the highest quality / fastest / most reliable I've gotten out of the printer.

also freecad is so much fun once you learn how to work around its though edges

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are you 3d printing some loaves of bread plz say yes

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
no, 3D print a bread maker you fool!

seriously though, that’s awesome. good on you for figuring it out

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i designed a case for an intel nuc board i had sitting around

thanks to intel for having highly detailed and accurate 3d models to download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

wanted to get something creative actually finished, and farted this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KdkhwJcpyg

the background is a tree near me that got struck by lighting, flowers, all made symmetrical and my face overlayed with different blending modes. used adobe animate, which is basically flash repackaged with all the bugs left in from 20 years ago lol

playable in 1440p 60fps