Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Everybody wins!

Another thing you can check is if your TV supports HDMI 1.4, which will power the Chromecast without a need for a USB port. Finally, you could probably use a wall charger, but I'd be careful with that.

It comes with a wall charger, so you'll be covered if it doesn't. What I haven't been able to figure out is if the USB connection is required if your TV has HDMI 1.4 (and also if all 3 of my TV's HDMI ports are 1.4, but that's another question.)

Mine gets here tomorrow, can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

ummm I ordered almost as soon as it went up:

But I haven't received any emails from Google or Netflix re: the promo.

*edit* apparently that email doesn't go out till the device ships

Has anyone who ordered from Amazon gotten their Netflix code? Mine is on its way but I haven't seen anything.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

comcor posted:

I would expect so, I ordered yesterday and got mine delivered this afternoon. Curious about how we get the Netflix deal, I found this page on Amazon saying its sent a week after shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001297671

More importantly it says: Offer expired on July 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM PST. So if you ordered after that, you're up a creek.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Sobriquet posted:

Isn't Play Music supported? I can test with mine later this afternoon :v:

Phone app got updated with support. The web page probably hasn't, although you could just mirror the tab.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Medikit posted:

I just want to point out that 3 months of free Netflix is really 2 months of free Netflix since they already offer 1 month free.

I think you mean 4, since you can sign up for the free month, then add the code for $23.97 in credit.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Its not 3 free months, its a $23.97 credit to your account. So you could get 2 months of streaming + discs or whatever.

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 26, 2013

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Finally home. This thing is slick, gives you lockscreen and notification controls when something is playing. Except it's locked up my phone twice now when I've shut the screen off.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

The one I went to yesterday to get mine said they'd let me do that when I talked to them on the phone beforehand. Then I mentioned I could be there in 30mins and they said they'd just hold it for me and I could pay at the register.

Is this a rom-specific thing? I get them for netflix and youtube on cm10x but my wife does not on her stock Note 2.

Happened on both YouTube and Netflix on my stock nexus 4. So far so good on my nexus 7.

And as someone with no good way to play music in my apartment, music all access and this thing is incredible.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I have an old G router. Amazon Instant over the browser is not working at all.

Also I cannot see my Chromecast from a wired computer on my router. Is Chromecast some kind of retarded WiFi only, ignore the rest of the network kind of thing?

It wouldn't be from Google if it didn't have some pants on head obvious omission.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

numbs posted:

This sounds pretty amazing. I might consider getting one. Are there any owners that would recommend it?

Its very cool as long as you remember that it's meant to share the internet on your TV and not be an all in one media device.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

WTFBEES posted:

That's what I thought too until he paused my active video 10 minutes after driving away. I've yet to reproduce it while just sitting here turning WiFi on and off on my phone, but it happened somehow.

Was he on his wifi? From what I've seen, your device sends commands just to the IP of the chromecast on the network. I'd imagine that wouldn't work straight over the internet. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly how it routed the commands to your chromecast.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

I thought that was just to setup chromecast and install chromecast apps... guess i'll find out tonight.

It'll have a list of chromecast compatible apps down at the bottom. I'm not sure its really intended as a launcher, as it doesn't have all the compatible apps listed when I open it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Getting idle lock ups on my Nexus 4 when casting Netflix. If the phone goes to sleep it straight up doesn't wake back up. Bone stock, 4.3. Doesn't seem to effect my Nexus 7 though.

There's a thread on XDA about this. Seems that the lock screen thing that netflix pops up while casting locks up the nexus 4 on 4.3. Doesn't seem to affect anything else.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Got a link handy?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2378896

Last I checked it they didn't have a solution, but looks like there's newer posts in there that I haven't gotten to.

EDIT: The last post in that thread

JackTreehorn posted:

I contacted Netflix chat support. They said their engineers are aware of the issue, as is Google. They said the issue is caused by Android 4.3, and it's not specific to the Netflix app. No known workaround.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Radbot posted:

Got my Chromecast yesterday and was grooving with some Google Music, but after this morning's update, casting from my N4 Google Music app stops after a random, short period of time. The devices seem to lose connection, as the Chromecast goes back to the "ready to cast" screen and the Cast button in the app turns gray again. Has anyone else experienced this?
Music does this to me too. I'm hoping that the update to play music and chromecast fixes the issue. I haven't been pushed either to test yet though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Does this work with Nook HD or Nook HD+?

It works with the apps that support it. Which right now are the Google play movies & music, google's YouTube app, and Netflix. I don't know if you can get google's apps onto the nooks.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Nybble posted:

Despite the convenience of not having to use up a plug, I'm tempted to plug the CC into the power strip for just that purpose. It doesn't seem to turn on right away when I turn on my TV.

It takes a few seconds to boot up and connect to wifi if you're running it solely off the TV.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

kri kri posted:

Does the CC support Netflix profiles?

Only to the extent your phone/tablet does. All the chromecast does is display the content your phone/tablet tells it to.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Three Olives posted:

It used to have fewer ads but it's now so full of ads that I've been considering canceling. Especially since I now have a 4 tuner DVR and the Hulu subscription was mostly to handle things when my tuners were busy. Which brings me to my next question, I was surprised to see the Chromecast button in Netflix with my new TiVo which doesn't show up in HBO Go or with my Google TV although it does in YouTube with both but there is no Chromecast button in HBO Go.

My understanding is that both TiVo and Chromecast are using something called DIAL which is why it is showing up in Netflix but I'm perplexed with HBO Go, is Chomecast using some weird half-standard where some applications will support it but not other devices or is it just paranoid/unprepared app developers and we will start to see this functionality in things like DVD players, DVRs, audio receivers and TVs as more of an open standard?

Apps that use Chromecast currently have to be whitelisted by Google. The HBO Go app hasn't been updated with chromecast support.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

oldMedia.txt

I just don't get why these companies don't try and branch out, at least with the content that they create/own. They hardly have a monopoly on premium tv show content anymore with the rise of competing networks (AMC/Showtime/Netflix, etc) and if they had a $5/mo streaming deal solely for shows that they owned, people would probably pay and it would be new customers -> more money.

I don't have any data to back me up but I'm guessing the amount of younger generation that is willfully not getting cable TV, let alone HBO, is only growing. If you don't have cable you can't get HBO. Limiting access is pretty stupid, maybe they're getting kickbacks from cable companies?

They won't do that because then people would pay the 5 bucks, blow through whatever new season they wanted to see and then drop. The point of a subscription is to keep people subscribed, if they're going to drop, they can buy the blurays.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

teacup posted:

I should've mentioned, I'm on ios

If you're not adverse to running another application on your host PC, there's always Plex. https://plex.tv/

EDIT: getvideostream.com says an iOS remote app is coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, but they're all passworded and my home wifi is the only one my iPhone knows.

What channels are they all on?

• Locked thread