Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm having a problem with casting tabs in Chrome. The video shows up just fine on my tv, but the audio continue to play through my pc speakers. I've tried a handful of video sites, all with the same result. Is there a setting I need to enable to push sound as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

No word on a Twitch.tv app?

The twitch android app is messed up, I doubt they're going to get around to Chromecast any time soon.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Irritated Goat posted:

I just tried with Client Isolation enabled. It had previously been disabled. It still has the same issue. I've got a Verizon phone so there's no option for anything on there for wireless.

Can you try it with another wireless device (tablet or laptop)?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's what I did.

I thought I read earlier in the thread that the actual device that is signed into Netflix is the one doing most of the work, but I guess I was wrong.

I don't know why the quality was off, but it was.

Though I guess maybe "quality" is the wrong word. The actual video looked the same, at least in terms of resolution, pixelation, etc...but something was slightly "off" about it. I was watching a cartoon, and the movement was weird. Like maybe a few frames were getting skipped? All I know is it looked weird when coming from my phone to the Chromecast, but was fine watching the same thing on the PS3.

Is your ps3 using a wired connection? It's possible that you are having wifi signal strength issues.

Or that. Try plugging the CC into the same port your ps3 uses.
VVVVV

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 30, 2013

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

New Leaf posted:

Am I crazy or does this thing need to be powered constantly? It looks like it should be able to charge itself or something. Otherwise, it works great. Just need to figure out how to hide the power cord since it is hanging out of the side of my TV.

Plug it into a usb port on your tv. There is no battery.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Just to be sure, your computer and the chromecast are on the same network, right?

Yes
VVV

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 11, 2014

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

havenwaters posted:

Well, if you have enough wireless repeaters.

Or you can bring a wireless hotspot and a generator to power the tv.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FlyingCheese posted:

I've had my Chromecast unplugged for a few weeks and read that a recent update bricked a lot of them. Is it safe to plug this thing in and let it update now?

Mine was never bricked in the first place, and I use it every day with youtube and netflix.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm debating the Chromecast. Does it work with 5ghz wireless n yet?

Unless you get a really weak signal somewhere in your place, this really won't matter. The Chromecast currently doesn't support 5ghz, but I've never had an issue streaming 1080p local content, and Netflix starts in a few seconds. If it really matters to you that much, a 5ghz model recently passed through the FCC, so you can wait for that.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I was just about to buy some bluetooth speakers for my apartment, maybe I'll wait until the spring.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

wooger posted:

My N5 too - these are all phone updated to Lollipop - which is well known to have horrible memory leak & battery life bugs at the moment.

I really can't quite believe Google haven't fixed them yet, cos my phone is horrible to use right now.

Just put Kitkat back on it then...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

bull3964 posted:

Right now. No. It's apple exclusive for now on devices so that means iPhone, iPad, or AppleTV if you aren't using a desktop computer.

I imagine chromecast support will be added when the exclusivity period ends.

They really should have just added Apple ID as another sign in for HBO Go, and not made a separate but functionally identical service. The exclusivity could just have been that Apple offers the only cable-package-free option.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

BoyBlunder posted:

Does anyone else have issues with the Twitch app losing connection to the Chromecast during a cast?

I can be watching a stream, and all of a sudden, I'll get kicked back to the main Chromecast screen, and I have to close the Twitch app in order to get it to work again.

Maybe it's just the Twitch app that's poo poo.

I just cast a twitch tab from Chrome on my desktop and it works better than the app.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Can I use a Dualshock 3 or 4 with the NP?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ringu0 posted:

"Starting today, [HBO Now] will support Google’s Chromecast for streaming from your mobile device to your TV, according to the update text in the iOS version that just arrived on the iTunes App Store. The Android app has not yet been updated, as of the time of writing, but will arrive later today."

via http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/06/hbo-now-adds-support-for-googles-chromecast/

e: the Google Play page already mentions the Chromecast support. Hooray.

I still don't understand why they made a new app for HBO now when the HBO go app has had CC support for a long time (Nov 2013).

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 6, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

datajosh posted:

I believe HBO Now uses a different streaming system operated by MLB Advanced Media rather than the system they've been using for HBO GO.

Well it seems like the Now people got the short end of the stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I checked the offers from Google and I already have a google rental so I will have to use that before I get the new one. Honestly, that is one of the main reasons I still keep a chromecast (and in case one of my roku's stop working).

I also saw that they are giving a 2 month free trial to Sling TV to Chromecast user (they just added Sling TV to the chromecast a week ago). I originally signed up and tried out the sling tv channel back when it first came out in February with their 7 day trial. I deleted it in less than a day. I started the process of getting two months free (mostly for my daughters to watch ABC Family's 25 days of Christmas) and clicked redeem and signed in under my account. I then noticed in a press release that this only works for "new" customers. I decided to use a different email address so I would be a new customer. When I clicked Start Subscription on this new account, I get an error stating that I have already redeemed this offer so I would only get the 7 day offer. Did I just lose this offer?

Did you use the same credit card?

• Locked thread