Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

General Ironicus posted:

The One Unique Thing is not meant to bring a mechanical advantage, but instead to develop the world around you.
How do you feel it compares to, say, the completely player-driven approach that Dungeon World provides? Is it an improvement over even 13th Age's approach for those who'd enjoy that sort of thing, or do you feel it might be too far in the free-form direction - where it could be better suited having constant, concrete things like the Icons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

I actually have a character I made up for a Pathfinder game that... fell apart pretty early on. I think his whole approach would work better in 13th Age, though, and doing the backgrounds really helped me figure out some of his finer details.

Cameron "Cam" O'Meer
Half-Elf Painter

Ever since he was a wee lad, Cam would show his childish doodles to his mother and insist that she watch as they moved. They never seemed to, so she would just smile and nod and muss up his auburn hair before sending him on another chore. At least, until a Crayon pig leapt from one of his drawings to wallow with the real ones. Caused quite the stir for people and animals alike.

Once he learned that this wasn't normal, he began to hone his artist skills less overtly. The event had also resulted in him learning that his missing father was an elf, rather than a human like his mother and her family. This led him to his belief that his strange power was a gift from his father's side. So, once he was old enough, he went in search of his father - or at least someone who can help explain his odd ability.

One Unique Thing:
Cam has the ability to temporarily give life to his drawings and paintings, an ability he believes he inherited from his estranged father.

Backgrounds:
Son of an Infamous Graffiti Artist. His father is notoriously known for "marking" Empire border towns near the forests with anti-Empire sentiments. This, of course, has led to several problems for the offspring of said Graffiti Artist.

Farm-Raised. Cam spent most of his younger years with his mother on her family's farm -milking cows, feeding chickens, shearing sheep, and other such chores. As such, he's rather good around all sorts of animals.

Flower Child. Cam is the result of a free-love fling during a rally against the logging of the Fairweather Wood. Rather than deal with situations by force, he was raised to seek peaceful solutions. Make love, not war.

Icon Relations:
High Druid (positive) - Like his parents - most notably his father - Cam has a great appreciation for nature and is against the forceful expansion of the Empire, however...

The Emperor (conflicted) - His mother and her family are still citizens of the Empire, so he is unsure if the Empire itself is misguided or just the one that leads them.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Demonia posted:

This was definitely fun, and I really enjoyed reading everyone else's entries.
I think this was my favorite part of this, as well. It's really neat to see all the different approaches to making characters with (more or less) one unique thing, a couple background notes, and a couple relations to some important powers. If I ever get back to running 4e DnD games again, I'm definitely going to try to house-rule in these concepts to let my players really get to flesh out their characters and have some fun.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

goatface posted:

Oh wow, how did I not get that pun until it was practically spelt out?
I just feel oddly happy that I'm not the only person who had a character idea for the name "Monster Manuel."

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Pyradox posted:

Basically this.

I'll probably end up spending the entire first week trying to figure out which team I'm on though.
Really, I'm hard pressed for this as well. I've always held that creativity is greater than might OR magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

PlasmaMan posted:

now's your chance to get creative in imagining new dream teams among party lines not often drawn..!
See, that just makes me want to point out that all the characters have interesting, creative points (even beyond their trademark One Unique Thing) to them and therefore they all go onto one team. Since there's no opposing team, that one wins. I'm not sure if that counts, is all.

• Locked thread