Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

Kalsco posted:

I'm wondering if I could get some info in what (if any) changes you guys went through when deciding on your one unique things. Intentions, initial goals, scrapped ideas (and why,) etc. I'm starting up a 13th Age campaign myself shortly and would love some insight on how you came up with your unique things, so I can give myself something to relate to when it comes to the character creation step amongst a bunch of people who have never played it before.

first off, I wrote my icon relationships with all 13, not just the two I ended up putting points into. it helped me figure out nav's attitude toward the whole world, not just the slice he is directly plugged into. second off, make sure your OUT is character-centric. at first, nav's OUT was being the only undead to leave necropolis, but that really just restates his 2-point relationship to the Lich King and doesn't add any more story hooks. so, his new OUT is being the experimental negative energy creature made of extradimensional matter, which I think you'll agree is far more one-unique-thing-er

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

As one of seven judges, I'd just like to say I heartily accept bribes.

e: I mean a new avatar would be nice who the gently caress even is this devil dude ugh???

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Where would we post these entries?

right here in the thread is fine. we'll edit the contest post with links to entries.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Devil Ed posted:

Question, are we limited to the standard races?

hell naw. nav is a custom race.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

TCat posted:

So has nobody else noticed that on Margeret's bio pic thing on the first page it says "raised by a family of famers"
And now I just see her family showing her off like "TADA THE GODS BLESSED US WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL CHILD!"
Then later it's like "Oh wait you're just an elf, gently caress that."
Also I still like how people draw her with wrinkles despite the fact that A- she's 40 and even in the real world with normal humans, jowl wrinkles don't happen that early, and B- she's an elf, so despite acting like an old lady she's more like a grumpy teenager.

margaret is old at heart and wrinkly at soul.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

I've already shared my thoughts on all the entries and some members of the crew also wanted to do the same for their favorites, so you'll bee seeing more feedback through the day. At the end, it will be revealed what Brinty won for Ahgrabad the Armless. What a twist! We thought it was a shame that half the great contributions were technically ineligible and came up with a prize that requires no shipping whatsoever (unless you swing that way, I don't judge). Let's all congratulate our two winners.

psst, hey, winning buddy. congratulations. you should send some more Ahgrabad character deets to justplazokay at gmail.

or, y'know, another character's if you'd rather have art of them. what-ev!

Ahgrabad and James Evans both strike me as really fun characters, but I dunno if I could stand them just being recurring NPCs when they would be so much more interesting in the party. That was my block with a lot of entries, really; striking the right balance between interesting enough to remember but somehow unreachable enough to remain an npc/icon rather than a pc.

I was pretty divided from the rest of the chat, in the end. my first votes were Janos, the Phantom of Newport and the Baron of irons.
changing the classic phantom archetype into someone who not only occupies the sewers, but expands and improves them into a vast underground network, is a simple twist that I really like; unlike every other operatic phantom, he relishes his monstrous status rather than hate it. it's true he's limited to one city, but his tunnels are such a huge part of the city that I can easily see plot points related to them (rumors, missions, whatever) ripple out to the whole world.

as for the Baron, I am really really interested to see where an icon with no apparent supernatural or otherworldy authority can go-- every other icon is either a leader of a nation with control over otherworldy elements and vast power, and others are just straight-up magic as hell. I am a bit reluctant to go in for The Villain Of Every Piece of Media, but I think that if those stereotypes can be avoided, the baron can go places, for good or for evil, or whatever. his icon relationships are well-defined, but loose enough to be played with. my only problem is that he lacks an apparent motive besides maintaining the status quo, so if anyone were to use him I'd recommend changing that so he does not simply represent a monolithic blob of nondescript evil.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

hi it's me, plaz. real quick, if you've ever wanted to fool your friends into thinking you're in this game like this (or I dunno maybe just have some cool art I GUESS), try this button from the OP!!

ikks fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 16, 2013

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

what a 
wonderful
night to 
inflict
ongoing.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

hmm... don't suppose any of our viewers knows enough about NES romhacking to, say, replace sprites and scripts.

PublicOpinion posted:

Listened to the new episodes while walking downtown to get a burger. I am excited for Drakkenhall times!

Also, fanart for the knife-est guy:

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

really fuckin' like that you reimagined and redesigned everyone. phenomenal

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

amazing. now we have stages and an overworld. we're halfway to steam!!

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

alright who did the thing. because i like it.

(hey contest winner brinty sorry it's been so long but can you gmail me)

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Episode 27a: Undercover, Underground

In this episode we face a terrifying team of experienced operatives.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Umberto's just gotta stay cool and keep his weird blind shades aimed down and we won't have any problems at all

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren::siren:MERRY ST. CRIME'S EVE, EVERYONE. NAV'S YEARLY CROOKED WINTER FESTIVAL. I STOLE THIS UPDATE FOR YOU FROM IRONICUS' WICKED AND CRUSTY GROTTO:siren::siren:

Let's Play 13a Epiode 28 part 1, or a, or whatever: The Gladiatorial Glitz

In this thrilling holiday episode, nav heroically leads his halfwitted crew into battle.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

in further celebration of st. crime's eve, here is a lil more info about our favorite bastard.

Navarwndes yl Vyntovkae Draegynovkas

Unknown to any living being, the Lich King is the single most cautious, canny, and above all prepared tyrant in history. His one eye can see all possibilities of the future, and he takes care to plan for every eventuality-- at this rate his invasion might take another year, century, or age, or so we hope. One such eventuality concerned the Black Plane, a thin dimension that lies between our world and the afterworld-- not a malevolent place, but thanks in no small part to the Lich King himself, the negative energy that flows continuously from it has possibly the worst reputation of any magical source. However, on this fateful day, a sentient being appeared, and the Lich Kind wasted no time in kidnapping her, playing the charming host just long enough to study her biology and steal a cube of matter from her chest before she made her escape. Rumor has it she made her way to Cathedral and became a cleric, but this story concerns the jet-black cube that formed the heart of a golem of undead flesh, energy, and all horrible odds and ends.

In time, the being was placed in the Lich King's corps as an officer-in-training-- but it soon became clear that this was far from the useful pawn the Lich King had hoped for. It snuck through the tunnels of Necropolis searching for books, art, culture-- humanity. In time, it found it, naming itself from a thick and nearly impenetrable tome of Elven poetry before making good his escape in a dingy rowboat to the Wild Wood, where against all odds a panther saved a weak and half (full?) dead Nav.

One Unique Thing
Among other things, the only undead to escape Necropolis and servitude.

Backgrounds
Skulduggery: An inherent superiority complex and laboratory-perfected dexterity leaves Nav willing and able to perform any sort of exciting crookery.

Nec-romantic: An inherent fascination with the world at large and underworld-sharpened tongue leaves Nav willing and able to perform any sort of exciting cookery. Er, or that, anything related to fashion, culture and the finer things, that is.

Former Soldier: In the finest army in the world, in fact. He would have been the ideal soldier, if not for disturbing ideas like "talking" or "adventure" or "not being an 'it'".

Precise Slice: A certain life-saving surgery left Nav with a deep appreciation for anything with a blade, despite his four-month childhood with crossbows and command.

Icon Relationships
1pt Positive Prince of Shadows: the thick Elven volume Nav found deep within Necropolis was an ancient and rare positive account of the adventures of the Prince and other tales of the Underworld, at least until the pages crumbled under Nav's constant perusal. If Nav had a bedroom and lamination existed, there'd be at least three posters of the guy.

2pts Negative Lich King: well, duh. Heck to that guy. Nav will hate the Lich King up until the point where he assumes the crown for himself. Oops, did I say that? Just don't look in his little black tactical journal, alright?

1pt Positive Priestess: well, this is interesting. After all these, er, months of selfishness, Nav is starting to understand that maybe sometimes other people wanna be selfish, too, and if he likes those people, maybe he should help. It's early days for kindness, but seeing as it first sparked in the Flame of Sacrifice within Cathedral, the Priestess and co. have taken a bit of interest in this formerly-heartless (he has a panther's now!) abomination.

Nav started out as a ranger-rogue multiclass, as I wanted to play a no-fuss sniper capable of raining down death from the shadows. When multiclassing was removed for being sorta terrible, I shifted into Ranger-- and spent the playtest sessions awfully bored with the limited range of options. Assimilating Agatha after the River Devil fight was a great chance for character and mechanic change; you may have noticed that I enjoy where mechanics meet narrative above all else.

Ever since, I have been building Nav as more or less an assassin, focusing on damage when possible... though Swashbuckle, the rogue ability that allows me to do A Cool Thing once per battle, and Black Cat (curse of chaos), the racial power that allows me to trip up enemies who roll poorly, have been instrumental in keeping me interested in the game with the narrative power they lend.

ikks fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 27, 2013

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Honorific! posted:

Related to Nav's backstory , one thing I have always been curious about was how exactly "assimilating Agatha" works. If I remember correctly, the other characters showed up to a room full of a bloody gory mess and new Totally Rogue Nav. Fiction-wise, is it just that some of Nav's bits are made of Agatha now, or is there more to it in your mind Plaz?

I dunno. Someone walked in and he was caked in red and purple goop but apparently unharmed and grinning hugely and almost all of Agatha was gone except for the prime steaks and now he refuses to talk about her except in special circumstances or to make a stupid joke. I think this is the first ever Grand Guignol Ghibli mystery story and I wanna keep it that way.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:YEAH BUT IT'S BACK SO:siren:

Let's Play 13th Age Session 28 Part II or B or 2 or β: The Gladiatorial Greatest

In this grippling and rippling episode, we completely blow our cover by winning gladiatorial combat in the city in which we are plotting the largest heist in the history of the Empire. whose bright idea was this?!

see you next year!

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:Well,:siren:

Let's Play The 13th Age Session 29 Part i: The Caper Commences

After extensive preparation, a band of bunglers create a series of disguises to infiltrate the palace of Drakkenhall, and manage to slip unnoticed into the cavernous vaults beneath where they face the first of many ingenious defenses.

this is proooobably our best session ever, so stay tuned, true believers.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

tumblr has some normal-rear end but still useful content, too. I just finished the full synopsis and episode list right here, which is perfect for anyone overwhelmed by all our goddamn content. now your friends don't have any excuse! get them to listen! write shipping charts together! build hair and fingernail shrines!

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

WolfShirt posted:

An adequate courtship. Our mechanical and efficient love making has provided us with the empire average 2.5 children.

we are "proud" of the first. the second does not live up to expectations, as expected. the remaining half is a baby who comically burbles and drools.

:siren:hey you know what:siren:

Let's Play The 13th Age Session 29 Part Two: Crooks in Combat

First hurdle leapt, the Elements face off against the enthralled guards of the vault-- and against all odds, Nav has a crisis of conscience.

next update: wednesday january 8

ikks fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 7, 2014

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:I woke up early:siren:

Let's Play The Thirteenth Age Session 29 Part 3: A Criminal Curation

At long last, the Elements leap all obstacles and make their way into the vault. As usual, their bickering leaves them wide open for trouble, though. Whoops.

next update (session finale!) Friday January 10

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

amazing. would you mind if I posted that to the tumblr?

Ambisagrus posted:

God drat it, I love this so much. (Also let it be known that Doc Smoulderboudler is canon, typo and all)

I looked at the first page again and I can only imagine it is properly pronounced "smoulderboudlé"

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Honorific! posted:

Sure Plaz, I'd be honored!

no problem. got a link to a twitter or profile or site or something I can credit?

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

The Margaret half is right right. Bryde Wilestar is unique for being the only child born to human and elf parents, the result of one of those truce marriages you see all the time in medieval history and fiction. Bella's OUT is her ability to physically manifest music. It comes up a lot.

mine is that nobody else can pull off wearing a scarf and buckler around the waist.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren::siren::siren:wow:siren::siren::siren:

The Thirteenth Age Session Twenty Nine Grand Finale: The Captivating Climax

The Elements now have three of, well, The Three's most powerful as well as the entire city of Drakkenhall between them and safety. They should probably give up, this is pretty much impossible.

if you follow any of us on twitter, you probably remember a lot of hooting and hollering about this session a few months back.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Clearbrook posted:

I was a bit disappointed they didn't manipulate the scale more. The power to manipulate not only balance of power in the fight, but to control how an icon affects the world (which of The Three has more influence) is kinda awesome.

nav has been steadily destroying the infrastructure of drakkenhall as he uses it to measure out ingredients.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

well I mean we obviously gotta carve out seven I mean six slots for the party to fill at level 10.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Rumda posted:

God forbid they find themselves in a kitchen again the world will be doomed.

t-minus eleven episodes

look, I'm gonna level with y'all, the last 13a character commission I had is amazing and I wanna draw more great characters. if you have a character strong enough to survive my scrutiny, commission me, ok? justplazokay at gmail dot com. refer to this thread for the special interim price of $50-- $20 lines, $10 colors, $10 shading, $10 name badge. thing.

but :siren:HWATEVER:siren:, we have bigger fish to fry. more important topics than me-- like the me I play on tv.

Let's Play the Thirteenth Age Session 30: New Nav

we've all been getting pretty decadent lately, so let's slow it down with a short yet awfully tense session. Recovering from their raid on deck, the party has several small misfortunes stack up against them as they attempt to make their way to the Queen's Wood by sea.

next update Monday January 20, probably

ikks fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 15, 2014

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Garbonix posted:

With how Nav is acting the question I think should be asked is, did he still have the tiny mustache drawn on his face from his cover story?
Yeah he has a third eye is acting like Margret does when hearing of elves to everything, but just picturing that with the tiny mustache makes Nav seem to be just fine.

no. no way. it washed off in the ocean spray and lava. I see where this is going. we're not having any genocidal maniacs with small mustaches in this game, ever.

Geemer posted:

I'd like to pop in to say I really like the work you do with the music, Plaz. It really helps set the mood.

excellent. I'm glad my weird collection of ripped video game soundtracks is finally coming to fruition..!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

How long are these prices gonna last? I don't get paid for another week and a half and would love to have one of my dumb character ideas drawn by you.

if you get an email in now just so I have it in my files, I will hold off on working on it until you're ready (which will give me plenty of time to think up some good ideas)

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

this suitably terrifying nav reminded me that I forgot to post my own art of new nav, dang!

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

Would I be correct in assuming New Nav is an excuse to playtest/ switch to the Commander? If so, is the personality change something you always wanted to do, or was it a more recent decision?

well, no. IT SUCKED AND I COULDN'T WAIT FOR IT TO END

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

The Cumburglar posted:

I/the Commander in my group were a little underwhelmed too. Word is that it's getting new and improved sometime soon, though

no, no, you misunderstand. this was a while before the Commander class was even out. like a good, say, nine episodes?

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

I love that one, it goes :siren:"♩♪Who Wants To Listen to 13th Age Forever ♫♬":siren:

Let's Play The Thirteenth Age Session 31 part α: Wilestars and Wildfires

Finally making land in the, uh, safety of the Queen's Wood, the party makes it to the village of their old friend's family, the Wilestars. There, they receive a quest of much less glamour but much greater relative morality in hopes of using Bryde's noble presence to make it to the Queen's Court.

ikks fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 20, 2014

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:you guys should talk more. I use what you talk about as a gauge to what I should do in my roleplay and jokes and whatever. tvtropes is a hive, sure, but the good ol' lpdnd tvtropes page was nice for seeing what people liked best. anyway,:siren:

Let's Play The Thirteenth Age Session 31 part β: Drider Dispute

quest scroll in hand, the Elements take to the woods to discover the source of the fires. Unfortunately, they fall into two or three traps at once and end up in a high LARIOUS misunderstanding. that might result in death.

next update Friday

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

oh man all this thread activity warms the artificial cockles of my 2+ hearts.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

PlasmaMan I believe while you stuck as The Bad Nav I feel all your episode posts should reflect your change in nature. Nav is clearly the Narrator of this adventure, so it only makes sense.

how do you even consider deigning to address me, let alone give me an order, you literal bleeding heart pile of rubbish meat

(I dunno if I can, as you'll see next session as I start having to qualify everything nav says with how sorry I am)

Roach Warehouse posted:

Feedback: One of my favourite Nav moments that I can only half remember is when he was walking toward some sort of occupied fort, staring down the sentries, until he walked into a pitfall. Then just lay there real casually as if it were where he wanted to be all along.

oh man. hell yes. if anyone wants to relive that majesty like I'm going to right now, I believe it happened near the beginning of session 10.

oh, and one last thing:siren:, we had gotten some critique on speeding up combat. we're working on that RIGHT AWAY but unfortunately you won't see the effects for a few more sessions thanks to that dang backlog. so instead, I'll start marking episodes as all combat or when it starts and ends, so people can at least skip around our mess.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:more like roll DUNG-y:siren:

Let’s Play the Thirteenth Age Session 31 part γ: Drow “Diplomacy”

[Combat ends at 35:38] Foes dispatched, the crew sets about proving how good they are by either lighting a wildfire or putting it out, or both, or just one after the other over and over again. I forget. But the point is, by session’s end, the team is on good terms with the drow of the Queen’s Woods! Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

stnly5, was it you? are you out there? we're not angry just sort of grateful and confused.

also I really hope you edited the date on the last two updates to the 19th, because if you didn't, that means you definitely read my mind from the past.

• Locked thread