Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:siren:WE NOW HAVE A 64-BIT AND :woz:MAC:woz: SUPPORT:siren: (starting with 1.16.x)

Latest Version (as of 2015-10-28):
Steam: 1.21.1.2s
Other: 1.21.1

What is this?

It's a game where you drive a truck. Seriously!

Here's the trucker thread in AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhBoE56OEs

The aim of this game is to set up and run your own trucking company. You start out working for other companies doing deliveries for little pay until you can afford a truckthe bank offers you a loan to buy a truck of your own. Once you own a truck you can earn more money delivering random crap to various european cities.

The game contains 60 cities spread across various 12 countries, including the UK. SCS Software, the developers of the game, have tried their best to do a scale model of the European motorway network and to at least put the iconic buildings into the cities. For a company that is still relatively unknown and focuses more on niche genres (90% of their games are truck games!), the attention to detail is fairly good. Each country will have it's own style of road signs and street lighting similar to their real life counterparts.

Now, this game has risen to popularity thanks to being one of the games to reach Steam through the Steam Greenlight program, as well as the 2013 summer sale where it was 75% off, thus reaching a new audience. In fact, it's most likely how most of the goons on here have heard of it!

Does this game have any mods?

Does it ever! Most of the mods are rather good, including one that replaces the company names with their real world counterparts, and one that blankets the whole map with snow!

On Windows, all mods go in "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\" (if you copy the string inside the quotes into the windows explorer navigation bar it will bring you right there). Don't know where mods go on Mac.

Does this game have any DLC?

YES!

Going East expands the map to the Polish/Belorussian border. This DLC comes with the Gold edition. Scandinavia adds Denmark and southern Sweden and Norway, as well as several new cargoes. These two are the only ones available outside of Steam (all the rest are Steam only).

There are also cheap ($1-$2) skin packs that are on Steam. The devs used the money they got from the Halloween skin pack to do this. There is also the High Power Cargo pack, which adds 3 new truck skins and a bunch of new cargoes to haul.

How is the developer support?

SCS do an awesome job in interacting with their fans, to the point where they have recently started to crowdsource the translations of the game to the community, which has had better results than, say, Minecraft! Also, they have a very informative blog.

StarkRavingMad posted:

If anyone wonders why so many people think the devs behind this game are great, they just bought 20 tons of sand and a trailer so that they can properly record engine sounds with more variety and under stress.

Where can I buy this?

You can buy it either from their website, Steam (Best Deal is the Deluxe Bundle, includes Scania Truck Driving Simulator, ETS1, ETS2+all DLC [as of May 7th, 2015], Trucks & Trailers, and Bus Driver),
Origin(if that's your bag) or from a "brick and mortar" gaming retailer!

Is there a Steam Group?

Of course!

I want to talk about trucks on IRC

Point your IRC client over to #truckism on irc.synirc.net. Or if you don't have a client, click here.

World of Trucks??? Does that mean multiplayer?

Not quite yet. WoT right now is a centralized place for Steam and non-Steam users to share screenshots and customize their license plates. You also get a free skin pack for the Steam version just for signing up!

I want pretty screenshots!

So if you want a change of pace from your Project Need for iMotorsport Dirt racing game or whatever, get this game!

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Tips and Tricks

Okay, I bought the game and have done the tutorial, now what?

Do a few Quick jobs to gain money and experience. As soon as you unlock the first loan, take it and buy your own truck. When you unlock the second loan, take it and upgrade your garage, buy 2 more trucks and hire two drivers. Once the dough REALLY starts pouring in, upgrade again and buy two more trucks and two more drivers. Buy more garages, trucks and drivers. Soon you will have more money than you know what to do with.

I LEVELLED UP YAAAAAAAAY :neckbeard:

Every time you level up (up to level 36), you get a skillpoint. Dump your early skillpoints into Long Distance, ADR, and the first level of High Value, Fragile and Just in Time. then fill them all in. Save Eco Driving for last (especially if you have realistic fuel consumption enabled, as it does fuckall if you do).

OH GOD I AM IN THE UK

You poor soul. Just remember to drive on the left and all the speed limits are in miles per hour and not kilometers per hour. (30mph = 50km/h, 50mph = 80km/h, 60mph = 100km/h)

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoYUQSU38E

Where is Ausfahrt?

Testimonials

PadreScout posted:

There I am, driving a big concrete ...something down the autobahn from Stutgard to En..something. I'm listening to my french talk radio having a pleasant drive. It starts raining; so I, reasonably, turn on my wiper and lights. Well, fast forward 5 or 10 minutes and I'm coming up on my turn, the little truck computer thing bonks me for 400 euro for a headlight infraction. I'm so surprised by this I blow my turn and crash my truck, doing like 9 grand in damage. This subsequently makes me late for my delivery getting me dinked 1,000 euro for late delivery penalty. Basically having my headlights on in the rain wound up costing me loving 10 grand.

This could be the best game ever.

h_double posted:

Just picked this up via the Steam sale, it's weirdly engaging and relaxing and discovering the motherlode of radio streams just made everything 10x cooler. I was listening to some UK station where the DJ was talking about the station's mobile app, and how isn't technology great and you can listen to their station anywhere now and I'm like who needs a mobile app when you can just listen from INSIDE YOUR TRUCK SIMULATOR.

EvilJoven posted:

Not only is ETS2 a great way to chill out and listen to tunes, its also a somber reminder that once a business starts making enough money it can effectively ignore the law, run roughshod over the populace and pay the meager penalties imposed upon it by spineless governments.

gigawhite posted:

I was hauling a pretty typical load with the basic Renault truck up a fairly steep incline (that loving ferry you take to get out of London) and my truck completely failed, started rolling backwards down the hill and crashed. I am terrified of real trucks now.

Ssthalar posted:

This game is way more entertaining that I would ever have expected a truck game to be.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 9, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I thought I had more interesting pictures to add, but I guess this will have to do for now.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If you are still somehow not sold and want to see some gameplay, Giant Bomb has a good 2-hour long video of the game on their site. It's pre-1.4 so they spend a long time trying to remove the speed limiter, but it still shows some of what you can expect!

Edit: obligatory mention of how Hotmix Radio is the best station in the game.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 1, 2013

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
its a good simulation of what downloading mods for this game is like if someone hasn't generously uploaded them to a torrent or something and posted them here

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A question: What is that whole World of Trucks thing they talked about? Have they ever elaborated on that beyond their vague announcement?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Still not convinced? Watch some of these: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbphwhPw2JuvPKzKtaKCxc7t77zElHHl8

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Kilonum posted:

OH GOD I AM IN THE UK

You poor soul. Just remember to drive on the left and all the speed limits are in miles per hour and not kilometers per hour. (30mph = 50km/h, 50mph = 80km/h, 60mph = 100km/h)

Don't forget, you can change your display between miles and kilometers under Options/Gameplay every time you cross the Channel or North Sea. But really, Cousin Avi has the right advice.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A question: What is that whole World of Trucks thing they talked about? Have they ever elaborated on that beyond their vague announcement?

From what I gather it is two fold.

First and foremost it is a multiplayer version of this game. They haven't gone into detail but they did mention that it will be multiplayer so whether it will be a main central server where everyone is on the same map or lots of smaller private servers I don't know.

Secondly I think (and I'm speculating here so I could be wrong) that their final goal is to have more than just Europe on this game, hence "World of Trucks."

They did mention some blog posts back that they eventually want to create a huge truck game where you can drive a virtual truck anywhere in the world with friends in some sort of "social" setting, or something like that!

Still, nice OP, OP!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Screenshots!

They said I had to

Just makin' a delivery to the big dicks store

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I really want this game but I can't stand driving with a keyboard and my wheel broke years ago and I don't know if it's worth spending $100 or so to replace it. :(

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Plays pretty decently with the Xbox 360 controller.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The rear end Stooge posted:

Just makin' a delivery to the big dicks store

I didn't know you made deliveries for your mom's vagina! Neat.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Are there any recommended truck mod downloads for some long nose chrome monsters?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kilonum posted:

Plays pretty decently with the Xbox 360 controller.

Seconding this. I almost bought a wheel until I came to my senses, realized how fine I was with the 360 controller, and how little space I had for a wheel anyway. And I think I was listening to this at the time, which helped.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Installed SRM's mod pack and found this a few hours east of Tangier:

I think I'm going to need to take an alternate route.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Howard Beale posted:

Guess I'm installing that mod, wow that looks amazing

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
As someone who majored in logistics and supply chain management the premise of this game arouses me in ways I thought impossible.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I really really want to play this with a Logitech G27. Of course, for that to make sense, I also have to get TrackIR... and a desk... and another monitor... or multiple monitors, which would mean a new graphics card... But that's a lot of gear to put towards a single game. I suppose it would work with F1 2012 as well, which I like, but even considering that... that's a lot of gear to put towards two games.

I am also currently using a 360 controller. It is miles better than the mouse & keyboard as primary controls and the cost of entry is substantially less.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
You, you can turn off the speed limiter now? :tviv:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Since a couple days ago I'm having an odd problem. The game isn't running at its full resolution, everything is fuzzy and the Steam overlay is blurry as hell. It's set to 1920x1080, "scaling" (which I assume has to do with resolution) is at 100% but it's still evidently running at some lower resolution. This happened out of the blue without anything changing as far as I know.

e: Not the game's problem.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 3, 2013

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Keepin' it real.

(yes, I was inspired by the post above)

I put together a short album of screenshots instead of making GBS threads up the thread.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There was a question about going on ferries and not being payed for that distance in the previous thread that I missed answering before it was closed.

You are payed by the distance you drive, not by the shortest distance the GPS shows you when taking the job. The long ferries can be skipped since they are slower than driving on the road. What this means is that instead of going on the long ferry between england and mainland europe you can drive to the chunnel and take that one instead. It will probably take less time and you will get payed much much much more money. The only downside to this is that going on a ferry counts as sleeping, so you can drive until you almost fall asleep, then go on the long ferry and just roll off an drive another 10 hours.
Also, if you have time to spare when you have reached your destination you could unhook your trailer and then drive around in a circle and then deliver your load for some extra cash, also, the time goes much slower in cities so this will almost always work unless you only got minutes to spare.

Yeah....I spend way too much time thinking about this game.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Kilonum posted:

Where is Ausfahrt?

Hahaha, I remember seeing those signs everywhere and thinking "drat, there are a lot of roads leading to Ausfahrt...", before my brain started working again.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I took some pics to show how to avoid the long ferry rides and how much you will gain from it.

Hauling Mercuric Chloride from Berlin to Manchester:

After quite a while the GPS will update to use the chunnel instead:

Arrived safely!

As you can see, lots of cash and XP that we wouldn't have got if we would have taken the slowboat instead:

Also, what's up with the Mercuric/Potassium Chloride trailers? It feels like I have a flagpole with a 10 ton weight on top of it, I must have turned the truck over like 6 times doing this trip, it's only 17 tons too.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
How much was the original job worth?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

AG3 posted:

Hahaha, I remember seeing those signs everywhere and thinking "drat, there are a lot of roads leading to Ausfahrt...", before my brain started working again.

"All roads lead to Ausfahrt" is a good title for this thread.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Howard Beale posted:

To put credit where credit is due, that's Kilonum's mod pack, not mine -- mine doesn't have the TSM mod in it. That is a cool-rear end piece of scenery.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

TjyvTompa posted:

Also, what's up with the Mercuric/Potassium Chloride trailers? It feels like I have a flagpole with a 10 ton weight on top of it, I must have turned the truck over like 6 times doing this trip, it's only 17 tons too.

This is my experience with pretty much all the ADR cargo I've driven so far. When I drive forklifts and pressure tanks I have no problems doing highway turns at 140km/h (though I might need to use all 3 lanes), but as soon as I drive dynamite or gasoline my truck will flip over even in gentle turns once I pass 110km/h or so. Maybe the game simulates the centre of gravity for your cargo and ADR stuff has a higher COG, thus is more prone to tip over. Hard to say.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

TjyvTompa posted:

I took some pics to show how to avoid the long ferry rides and how much you will gain from it.

Isn't the payoff pre-determined before you ever start hauling? Taking a longer route on purpose shouldn't increase the reward

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!
The map expansion DLC for Eastern Europe (titled Going East!) has entered beta:

Link

I'm looking forward to this, but the EUR10 price point they mentioned earlier seems a bit steep for it.
Also, notice the new flatbed lorry on the screenshots!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

WARnold posted:

Also, notice the new flatbed lorry on the screenshots!

The enemy buses have a new ally.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

The Duggler posted:

Isn't the payoff pre-determined before you ever start hauling? Taking a longer route on purpose shouldn't increase the reward

Yeah I dunno about that tip. I took a job just to test it:

Instead of driving straight to Hamburg, I took a detour to Kiel and doubled back afterwards. The end pay was the exact same as first advertised, despite me driving 120km longer.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Oceanbound posted:

Yeah I dunno about that tip. I took a job just to test it:

Instead of driving straight to Hamburg, I took a detour to Kiel and doubled back afterwards. The end pay was the exact same as first advertised, despite me driving 120km longer.

The pay is decided by the auto-generated "best route" distance before you accept the job, and includes any skill or load type modifiers you may have (ADR, high value cargo, etc). The only thing that will change by taking a longer, overland route is your experience total. The pay will remain the same, but your overall profit/pay per kilometer will suffer.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Whenever I brake, I feel like I'm just slamming them down. Sometimes I don't need to stop on a dime at a stoplight, I just want to slow down a bit on the highway so I don't steamroll over somebody's minivan. I'm sure I'm not using the parking break. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Paineopticon posted:

Whenever I brake, I feel like I'm just slamming them down. Sometimes I don't need to stop on a dime at a stoplight, I just want to slow down a bit on the highway so I don't steamroll over somebody's minivan. I'm sure I'm not using the parking break. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

If you're using the keyboard there is really nothing you can do about it

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you press the "B" key, that turns on your engine brakes. It helps slow you down without having you basically slam on your brakes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sometimes this game can get really pretty!

Also I saw there was a steam guide about SweetFX but it was all in another language?

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Paineopticon posted:

You could try turning down braking intensity a bit in the options, or use the retarder in those type of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
For those of you using Xbox 360 controllers, what's your controller setup? Mine is pretty awful right now and I was looking to change it to something better.

• Locked thread