Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:siren:WE NOW HAVE A 64-BIT AND :woz:MAC:woz: SUPPORT:siren: (starting with 1.16.x)

Latest Version (as of 2015-10-28):
Steam: 1.21.1.2s
Other: 1.21.1

What is this?

It's a game where you drive a truck. Seriously!

Here's the trucker thread in AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhBoE56OEs

The aim of this game is to set up and run your own trucking company. You start out working for other companies doing deliveries for little pay until you can afford a truckthe bank offers you a loan to buy a truck of your own. Once you own a truck you can earn more money delivering random crap to various european cities.

The game contains 60 cities spread across various 12 countries, including the UK. SCS Software, the developers of the game, have tried their best to do a scale model of the European motorway network and to at least put the iconic buildings into the cities. For a company that is still relatively unknown and focuses more on niche genres (90% of their games are truck games!), the attention to detail is fairly good. Each country will have it's own style of road signs and street lighting similar to their real life counterparts.

Now, this game has risen to popularity thanks to being one of the games to reach Steam through the Steam Greenlight program, as well as the 2013 summer sale where it was 75% off, thus reaching a new audience. In fact, it's most likely how most of the goons on here have heard of it!

Does this game have any mods?

Does it ever! Most of the mods are rather good, including one that replaces the company names with their real world counterparts, and one that blankets the whole map with snow!

On Windows, all mods go in "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\" (if you copy the string inside the quotes into the windows explorer navigation bar it will bring you right there). Don't know where mods go on Mac.

Does this game have any DLC?

YES!

Going East expands the map to the Polish/Belorussian border. This DLC comes with the Gold edition. Scandinavia adds Denmark and southern Sweden and Norway, as well as several new cargoes. These two are the only ones available outside of Steam (all the rest are Steam only).

There are also cheap ($1-$2) skin packs that are on Steam. The devs used the money they got from the Halloween skin pack to do this. There is also the High Power Cargo pack, which adds 3 new truck skins and a bunch of new cargoes to haul.

How is the developer support?

SCS do an awesome job in interacting with their fans, to the point where they have recently started to crowdsource the translations of the game to the community, which has had better results than, say, Minecraft! Also, they have a very informative blog.

StarkRavingMad posted:

If anyone wonders why so many people think the devs behind this game are great, they just bought 20 tons of sand and a trailer so that they can properly record engine sounds with more variety and under stress.

Where can I buy this?

You can buy it either from their website, Steam (Best Deal is the Deluxe Bundle, includes Scania Truck Driving Simulator, ETS1, ETS2+all DLC [as of May 7th, 2015], Trucks & Trailers, and Bus Driver),
Origin(if that's your bag) or from a "brick and mortar" gaming retailer!

Is there a Steam Group?

Of course!

I want to talk about trucks on IRC

Point your IRC client over to #truckism on irc.synirc.net. Or if you don't have a client, click here.

World of Trucks??? Does that mean multiplayer?

Not quite yet. WoT right now is a centralized place for Steam and non-Steam users to share screenshots and customize their license plates. You also get a free skin pack for the Steam version just for signing up!

I want pretty screenshots!

So if you want a change of pace from your Project Need for iMotorsport Dirt racing game or whatever, get this game!

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Tips and Tricks

Okay, I bought the game and have done the tutorial, now what?

Do a few Quick jobs to gain money and experience. As soon as you unlock the first loan, take it and buy your own truck. When you unlock the second loan, take it and upgrade your garage, buy 2 more trucks and hire two drivers. Once the dough REALLY starts pouring in, upgrade again and buy two more trucks and two more drivers. Buy more garages, trucks and drivers. Soon you will have more money than you know what to do with.

I LEVELLED UP YAAAAAAAAY :neckbeard:

Every time you level up (up to level 36), you get a skillpoint. Dump your early skillpoints into Long Distance, ADR, and the first level of High Value, Fragile and Just in Time. then fill them all in. Save Eco Driving for last (especially if you have realistic fuel consumption enabled, as it does fuckall if you do).

OH GOD I AM IN THE UK

You poor soul. Just remember to drive on the left and all the speed limits are in miles per hour and not kilometers per hour. (30mph = 50km/h, 50mph = 80km/h, 60mph = 100km/h)

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoYUQSU38E

Where is Ausfahrt?

Testimonials

PadreScout posted:

There I am, driving a big concrete ...something down the autobahn from Stutgard to En..something. I'm listening to my french talk radio having a pleasant drive. It starts raining; so I, reasonably, turn on my wiper and lights. Well, fast forward 5 or 10 minutes and I'm coming up on my turn, the little truck computer thing bonks me for 400 euro for a headlight infraction. I'm so surprised by this I blow my turn and crash my truck, doing like 9 grand in damage. This subsequently makes me late for my delivery getting me dinked 1,000 euro for late delivery penalty. Basically having my headlights on in the rain wound up costing me loving 10 grand.

This could be the best game ever.

h_double posted:

Just picked this up via the Steam sale, it's weirdly engaging and relaxing and discovering the motherlode of radio streams just made everything 10x cooler. I was listening to some UK station where the DJ was talking about the station's mobile app, and how isn't technology great and you can listen to their station anywhere now and I'm like who needs a mobile app when you can just listen from INSIDE YOUR TRUCK SIMULATOR.

EvilJoven posted:

Not only is ETS2 a great way to chill out and listen to tunes, its also a somber reminder that once a business starts making enough money it can effectively ignore the law, run roughshod over the populace and pay the meager penalties imposed upon it by spineless governments.

gigawhite posted:

I was hauling a pretty typical load with the basic Renault truck up a fairly steep incline (that loving ferry you take to get out of London) and my truck completely failed, started rolling backwards down the hill and crashed. I am terrified of real trucks now.

Ssthalar posted:

This game is way more entertaining that I would ever have expected a truck game to be.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 9, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Plays pretty decently with the Xbox 360 controller.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

memy posted:

For those of you using Xbox 360 controllers, what's your controller setup? Mine is pretty awful right now and I was looking to change it to something better.

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=2059 Has a few examples

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Hogo Fogo posted:

Soo.. the Steam group still has no picture. Until someone makes something good I'd like to submit my creation :kiddo:

Done (Though I had to resize it down to 184x184)

TacticalGranny posted:

(we need to add ETS2 emoticons from Steam to SA)

well I haven't got the :10bux:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 2, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Crosspost:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3535633&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post418041034

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

TacticalGranny posted:

Oh hey, I borrowed a thing:

Gonna try it out tonight.

tell me how it works out, I'll probably get that or the G27 with the $400 I usually get in Amazon gift cards for Christmas. Right now I have a lovely Saitek R440 wheel that I don't use because I lack a proper desk.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Cowman posted:

I won't be happy until Goatse is on the side of my trailer :goatsecx: :colbert:

Edit: Speaking of radios, what's the information I need to put in to get Goon Radio working? I don't listen to it much so I don't know if it's still as weird as it was but I figure adding it can't hurt.

this is the contents of my "Livestreams.sii" file:

code:
SiiNunit
{
live_stream_def : _nameless.327E.85C8 {
 stream_data: 198
 stream_data[0]: "http://gbs.fm:8001|GBS-FM - Goon Radio"
 stream_data[1]: "mms://173.193.202.87:83/KickradioPP01|Kickradio - 80's & 90's Hits"
 stream_data[2]: "http://76.73.47.10:8418|NETROCK101 80s & 90s hair metal and new rock"
}

}

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I love the part where the truck has an epileptic seizure.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Also, engine mod for said truck (I've been playing with it for a bit already)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8814131/ETS2mods/z_k100_extra_engines.scs

Have some screenshots:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

6 speed. Basically, more power you have = less gears you need, as the transmissions with more gears have lower ratios for 1st gear than the ones with less gears.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

spacetimecontinuu posted:

If you could find it in your heart to put your awesome engines into the kenworth W900 I would be endlessly appreciative. The 625 CAT isn't bad, but I can't resist a 1500HP truck with a 6 speed.

I'll need link to the truck

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Speed camera detector:

http://www.simgamemod.com/?p=1260

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Ah yes my mistake, it's this one. Thanks!

Done

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but no new engines are showing up for me. I made sure I linked you to the right mod and ensured that I enabled your mod ingame but, alas, I don't see any new engines or transmissions. Maybe it's because of the engines and transmissions included in the mod itself?

It's because I forgot to rename a folder inside the .scs file, redownload it and try again.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I think I violated a few laws on my last run.

And not just traffic laws.

PHYSICS laws.

I AM NOT ASHAMED

(I totaled the truck on that trip. TWICE.)

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 10, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I like how you still earned a fair wad of cash, despite nearly completely destroying the cargo!

Repairs on the truck far exceeded what I got.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I think I am just going to play Truck Sim all day

and stream it

while blastic classical music :getin:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 13, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

And stream ended because goddamn computer overheated.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

So i switched from that massive Kenworth to the biggest Man XXL that the game includes to facilitate safer ground-level rocketing around Europe. Would it be possible to get a transmission with a really, really high end overdrive gear or two? Maxing out at 160kph stinks because it feels like that 1500HP Pratt and Whitney has plenty of pull left. I only ask because I'm at the stage of the game where I'm racing around Europe at top speed buying every. single. warehouse. and I need it to happen faster.

:unsmigghh:

open my mod as if it were a zip file, drill down to def\vehicle\truck\<truckname>\transmission, open 6_speed.sii in a text editor (preferably Notepad++), and replace it with the following:

pre:
SiiNunit

{

accessory_transmission_data : 06_speed.<truckname>.transmission

{
	name: "@@6 Gear@@"

price: 4500

unlock: 0

icon: "transmission_generic"

differential_ratio: 2.71

# reverse gear

ratios_reverse[0]: -14

# forward gears

ratios_forward[0]: 2.9

ratios_forward[1]: 1.7

ratios_forward[2]: 1.2

ratios_forward[3]: 0.9

ratios_forward[4]: 0.7

ratios_forward[5]: 0.6

}

}
IMPORTANT: <truckname> in the .sii file must match the <truckname> in the file path, so for the MAN TGX it's man.tgx

Also note I haven't tested this, but if my calculations are correct (and the game doesn't take aerodynamics into effect) you should see ~320km/h at ~1700rpm in 6th gear :rice:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 15, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

All of these map makers need to join forces and make one mega mod.

Oh god yes this.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

So this popped up in my twitter feed

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

SpannerX posted:

I was actually driving a rather large cube van today. No air breaks, and an automatic, but it was... not fun in a city that was started in 1749/1750. loving cart paths.

Where on the east coast of North America is this?

Boston is pretty badloving horrible (1630). Not even cart paths. Drunken cow paths.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Only through mods.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Haeleus posted:

I only got the game recently but the TSM map mod looks enticing and I want to try it out. Can anyone here perhaps link a download/torrent from where they got the latest version; so far all the mod sites I've found are either difficult to navigate, in another language, or link to some website that caps my speed at an abysmal rate.

Try the torrent in the OP :D

EDIT: Currently playing 18 Wheels of Steel: Extreme Trucker 2. Let's just leave it at SCS has come a long way since that game.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 27, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Familiar Foreigner posted:

The torrent in the OP has an older version of the map in it, if you want Trucksim Map 4.0 go to http://bitly.com/bundles/thomastsm/e, you'll also need the patch at http://bitly.com/bundles/thomastsm/g they're really slow but the only downloads available. You also may want the map zoom fix as well, the 3.5 fix apparently still works but I've lost the link. I'll try and make a torrent or something with some mods tomorrow.

Thanks, will rebuild the torrent once everything is down and I finish putting together my new desk.

EDIT: gently caress these loving assholes that use these lovely download sites. "Hurf durf you lost your connection and the download aborted so now you have to wait 3 hours to retry" :fuckoff:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 27, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

so spent all day putting together my desk and getting everything set up, take my old force feedback wheel out of storage, and fire up truck sim.

The force feedback no longer works :cry:

Familiar Foreigner posted:

Just finished making the torrent, it's here (My hosting). If someone could upload it to alluvion that would be great, it wouldn't let me login or re-authenticate my account and sometimes I forget to turn my server back on after power outages. Torrent contains Trucksim map 4.0+4.0.1 fix, map zoom fix, the trailerpack from earlier in the thread, and a louder engine volume mod that is quieter than the one posted earlier.

I'll toss it up on alluvion with the other stuff currently in the 3.5 modpack in the OP sometime in the next 18 hours.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 27, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Oh hey OP updated with new torrent.

TSM4 + SRM's mod pack + my mods + fixes

Download torrent81 (1 file; 778.63 MB)
View torrent stats

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

TacticalGranny posted:

(also guilty, looked up trucking schools in the US)

Same

And more because I am underemployed :goleft:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

SterlingSylver posted:

So I've been trucking along, building things up, and am about ready to hire my third and fourth driver. What I'm wondering right now is if I should try to go after one of the map mods, as I'm just in vanilla. Is there one in particular (there are a bunch of versions of ETS, for example) that I should go after? And is there a way to carry over profiles to the new map?

Edit: I just get a blank page when I click on that link in the OP. And does it overwrite my progress?
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Does not overwrite your progress.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, alluvion's database poo poo the bed.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ExtremeODD posted:

:( Alluvion isnt quite liking me today database errors out the rear end. I suppose tsm4 by its self for now wouldnt be too bad. That is unless someone has a mirror for the torrent?

EDIT: Wow shows me for not refreshing the page.

shoot me an email at kilonum AT verizon DOT net

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Cowman posted:

I shot you an email as well. I signed it with my username though my email obviously doesn't have the same name. Alluvion is still down and I want my new truckin map :(

Just saw this, reply sent

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

AG3 posted:

One day I hope we can get a truck simulator where it is possible to recreate crashes like this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23970047

Sounds like your typical California I-5 pileup to me.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, about to start up a completely vanilla profile (ok, only mods will be cosmetic) just to get rid of the tedium of really long drives and saving long distance skills for last (yes, even after ecodriving)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Also the bank is extremely forgiving when it comes to overdrafts. They don't even charge a fee. I overdraft by more than $10 with my bank and WHAM $35 overdraft fee.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Editing economy.sii is fun, just doubled experience point generation and the amount of experience for parking the trailer manually.

I also found this line:
Default:
code:
	simulation_avg_speed: 62.0	# km/h
Changed to:
code:
	simulation_avg_speed: 90.0	# km/h
Should give a more accurate time prediction on the GPS. Actually it speeds up the AI truckers

I Also decreased the per delivery amount you get, but balanced it by increasing the per km amount. (from €600/€15 to €500/€25) so for a first level, 100km trip you get as a base (before skill bonuses) €3,000 instead of €2,100, and for a 2,000km run you get as a base €50,500 instead of €30,600.

This replaces the currencies mod included in the modpack torrent.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8814131/ETS2mods/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_Currencies.scs

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 18, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

The Orange Mage posted:

The most important ATS feature(s) are:

• Massachusetts drivers should never ever ever use their turn signals.

ftfy

WARnold posted:

For those of you looking to pick up the DLC, you can pre-order from Greenmangaming
Use voucher GMG20-8MUTY-M21VN for a 20% discount.

If anyone doesn't have a gmg account yet, consider using my referral link - it'll give us both 2eur/usd store credit. :clint:

does that work for the Steam version?

EDIT: Nevermind clicked the link answered my question (yes)

EDIT2: Well poo poo, for some reason GMG isn't accepting my card and paypal has always hated me. If someone has a $10 game on Steam they want I'll trade :shobon:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Shine posted:

I assume the higher your LD rank, the rarer shorter-distance jobs become? If so, then I'm not gonna upgrade Long Distance past 350km, or maybe 550. It probably murders my big money potential, but that's the perfect length to knock off one or two jobs before bed.

Nah, shorter jobs still show up, but you have to look for them, change the job list sorting to distance (I default to price/distance)

• Locked thread