Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I should post up my full requirements in case there's an obvious choice in the matter:

Budget - 100-150$ USD range
Source - PC with Headphone jack.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural ideally. IEMs are a no-go.
Usage - Primarily gaming, some music. Most Importantly: Needs to be comfortable to wear with glasses for long durations.
Past Headphones - NVX XPT100, extremely comfortable, I really enjoyed these but the headband section that held the cup broke. Something with this style of cups or level of tightness would be great.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Cs, these were much too tight, became very uncomfortable with glasses after about an hour or so of use.

So I'm seeing lots of recommendations for models such as ATH-M50x, ATH-AD700X, etc, can anyone who wears glasses comment on what is/isn't comfortable?

I've also seen comments on reddit about replacement pads such as these for various models, I dunno if that'd be closer to the style i'm looking for or what but I'm not against trying something like that.

If you don't care about bass, the Phillips SHP9500's are really good and really comfortable, and easily made into a gaming headset with a v-moda boom pro (if you play multiplayer). Have zero issues with them as a glasses wearer. The only con is that you can't change the pads out (not that you need to, but if you had a pad you liked you won't be able to use it)

I just retired my pair to be PS4 headphones now that my Mayflower V1's came in today (so nice!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I am just using a Micca Origen+, it has enough power for them (dial between 1-3 o' clock for normal listening), but might be problematic if you listen to quieter stuff. I'll upgrade to a Schiit stack later if I feel the absolute need to.

e: oh looks like the origen+ got price hiked to over $100 :(. Scored one from miccastore for $65 awhile back

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 8, 2017

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
These Shure Alcantara pads are so good, can definitely recommend if you have cans that can use them.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC1540-Replacement-Alcantara-Headphones/dp/B00HXAV0UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484093530&sr=8-1

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Jack Forge posted:

any opinions on Astro A50's vs A40's or anything comparable? i need a new computer gaming headset.

Avoid them. Zeos' guide to gaming headphones is useful if you know what kind of sound you're looking for.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Phillips 9500 are definitely my pick.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Micca Origen is pretty good and barely breaks the $100 mark, and they drive my planars. Had to get a ground loop isolator though to elimate buzz from the y-splitter for the V-Moda mic.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
There is a stand alone MP3 player thread here

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there a definitive list somewhere of USB DAC headphone amps known to work with the PS4? I've found all kinds of messageboard discussions about it but that's all.

It's not USB, but you can use a Schiit Magni hooked into an Astro mixamp.

https://storage.googleapis.com/cdn.head-fi.org/a/8265290.png

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
If you don't need the extra power, it should be fine.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Samurai Sanders posted:

About the Astro itself, I asked in the PS4 thread if those were still a thing people used and no one responded. How does the 3D sound on them sound? That's the only reason I'd consider replacing my Soundblaster with one I think, since I don't care about voice communication.

But also I might replace it with a smaller, non-game related USB amp, if I could find a comprehensive list of what works.

I'm not sure about 3D audio (I only used the standard, no effects added sound profile), I used it for my Phillips SHP9500 + V-Moda Boompro setup, and had no audio issues outside of the astro volume knob being a little finicky.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Micca Origen+ has both of those inputs.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Scottishprog posted:

Looking for a replacement for my Shure SRH 1440 (Headband is disintegrating... surprise, surprise.)

Budget: On the order of 300 or so, same as the originals. I can be persuaded to go higher for a good reason.
Source: Onkyo A-5VL
Isolation Requirements: No, but it would be nice, if it does not compromise sound quality.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over the ear, like the 1440s, I wear hearing-aids, and wearing on the ear types is plain bad.
Preferred Music: Classical, electronic, metal and games.

(Is there such a thing as modding a headband on to the 1440?

Depending on how bad it is, maybe just get one of these and glue it on?

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-comfort-headband/

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
A ground loop isolator will get rid of the noise, but you will take a slight volume hit.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

ughhhh posted:

Philips SHP9500S for $51 dollars on newegg right now. Thats a good deal for a daily use PC headphones right?

Yeah, they're great.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Lube banjo posted:

I picked up the Micca Origen but the drat thing has impossible to install drivers so I have to run it thru SPDIF

Yeah this is the only problem I have with it. Any time I disconnect the USB (when cleaning the PC) Windows forgets what it is and have to do their weird workaround to get it working again.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
There is a new revision of the Micca Orgien that fixes the driver issue, so it's not a complete pain in the rear end anymore, but having to drop $110 for a QoL thing is a bit much for now.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

KingKapalone posted:

Also, the boom mic has two 3.5mm plugs on the end, one for mic and one for audio. I guess people have another solution for console (PS4) gaming?

Mixamp would be the solution for consoles.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Bought a pair of these, pretty good.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

KingShiro posted:

Bought a pair of these, pretty good.

update: right iem dead in under a month :(.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

mellowjournalism posted:

Me too! I probably need to treat my headphones better, I toss mine around too much. Any recommendations on cable management? I feel dumb because I'm sure there are tons of good solutions I am missing in tyool 2018 but I still just leave a 30ft cable dragging on the floor and getting in the way whenever I move around the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1zO_dRjkM

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yinyoo customer service on point replacing $20 IEMs.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Lube banjo posted:

If I do this I only get to use ~15% of my amp's power. what the heck is the point of having an amp if it's going to stay so low

Get some planars, I have my amp between 12 and 2 for comfortable listening levels depending on source.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
SHP9500s are discontinued now, unless you're comfortable paying big dollar for them.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Aliexpress has SHP9500s for $80-$85, so not as bad as ebay or amazon/newegg resellers

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Also: Zeos updated his headphone pick guide if anyone is interested

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/97mi5s/zguides_headphones/

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
It's the price you have to pay, unless you just read the reddit recommendation posts.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The replacement KZ ZST's I was sent have already had the right ear die....again, after light use in under 2 months :( :argh:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I like my Mayflower modded T50RPMK3s, those are a decent chunk cheaper, would still go buy a Mr Speaker's headband for it though regardless.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

ItBreathes posted:

Looking to pick up some office headphones, I noticed Beyerdynamic is selling refurb 770s through ebay for $100 and Custom Ones for $110. I'm leaning toward the Custom Ones for the removable cable, but does anyone have any strong opinions between these two? Casual googling suggests they're largely identical, but quality headphone reviews being almost nonexistent its hard to say.

Removable cable is worth the extra $10 imo

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Newegg has Phillips SHP9500's back for $80 for anyone interested or wants to buy a backup pair

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Sankis posted:

I have a Status CB-1 headset that I absolutely love. Unfortunately, I have a large head and the plastic headband of the CB-1 inevitable starts to break after about 10 months of use.

Does anyone know of anything similar with a metal headband that's in a similar price range or am I doomed to have a giant head that ruins headphones for the rest of my life? I know I'll probably need to pay more, and I don't mind paying a bit more (~$100 USD is ideal, I'd consider going up to $150ish) for something that'll last, but I'm not looking for anything particularly high end. These are my PC headphones for games and whatnot.

Gonna keep beating the dead horse recommendation of Phillips SHP9500 if you have a big head. I've had a pair for years and they haven't broken or anything else go wrong.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

emdash posted:

SHP9500 is no longer made though :( might be some new on ebay

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=phillips+shp9500&N=-1&isNodeId=1

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Zeos made a nifty little site you where you press some buttons and out come some recommendations.

https://hifiguides.com

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Except I've bought all my current headphones on his recommendations and they've all been good? Phillips SHP9500, Mayflower modded Fostex TRP Mk3's, and Koss Porta Pros.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I just bought Porta Pros for working out because I'm tired of dealing with IEMs

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

ddogflex posted:

What does "dealing with IEM" mean? You just don't like the form factor?

Mainly finding the right tips and having one side just die for no reason.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Ordered a pair of BLON-01s, hope they last longer than the KZ's I had and their follow up replacements.

Also upgraded my Micca Origen+ to a SMSL AD18, still drives my Fostex T50rp MkIIIs just fine, and all the input options are good.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Got my BLON-01s today. Pretty decent so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Going to be using my BLON-01s again, but the stock silicone tips are bad. Can’t find any specifics about replacements for them, can I just buy whatever people have recommended for the 03s?