Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I bought a ~$30 Asus Xonar DG soundcard with a headphone amp. Holy hell what a difference! I use Superlux HD 681 EVO's, really good for their price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Ordered Superlux HD-660s yesterday. Also probably going to buy a Tubemagic D1+ DAC / headphone amp later this month.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

Hey guys, advice please:

Budget - I'd like to keep it $100-150, but I'll go up to $200 if need be.

Source - Audio Technica AT-PL50 into a stereo amp.

Isolation Requirements - I want isolation.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear definitely. Big ones. Pure home use for music.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I suppose balanced, but I definitely want headphones that are substantial in the low end.

Past Headphones - I've had a decent Polk that didn't have a ton of bass and pleather pads that made my ears sweat, Turtle Beaches (lol) that I mention to be funny, and an old pair of Magnavoxes that I don't have much to say about. I'm just getting into the audiophile thing.

Preferred Music - Alt-country, folk, and stoner metal for the most part. Drive-By Truckers and the Sword are good bands to use as examples for a spectrum.

How about http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-closed-studio-headphones-250-ohms

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Got Superlux HD-668 B's today and they are sweet. I use them with Tubemagic D1+ which could be a bit overkill for 56 ohms but whatever.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ordered my piston from boat2014 on June 15th and finally got them today (New York). USPS somehow managed to spill coffee all over it, but everything was dry and fine inside.

Sounds great and controls work fine. My only complaint is that the ear tips run a bit on the small side (even the large one feels a bit loose to me) but I have plenty of tips from other IEMS. Cable running up to remote it fine, but from the remote to the drivers, it's definitely not as durable. Still, I'd recommend it.

E: After comparing it with some other IEMs, I really like the sound and fit on the Brainwaz S1's more, but for $24 you really can't go wrong with the Pistons.

I just put the rubber things from my sennheiser buds on the pistons. Much better than the brown ones that it came with.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

the panacea posted:

I'm in Europe and there are no Pistons available here with shipping from Amazon. Is it somewhat safe to order them straight from alibaba off a seller with 300+ confirmed and rated Piston sales?

I also live in Europe and the pistons from the boaty guy linked here shipped just fine?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I also own 598's and they are indeed amazing. They are also one of the (if not most) comfiest headphones I have ever worn.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

redeyes posted:

Can anyone tell me more about the latest hyped chinese iems: TTPOD T1-Enhanced
http://www.dx.com/p/ttpod-t1-enhanced-3-5mm-hi-fi-in-ear-earphone-blue-silver-white-334983

I got a pair some time ago. Sound is great, comes with lots of accessories. Only thing I dislike is that the cable is a bit too long for my taste.

Kinda like the xiaomi piston except less boomy.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Beautiful Princess posted:

So I recently got a pair of Sennheiser PC 350 for gaming and started using them for music/movies etc late at night as I am in an apartment. I couldn't believe how good they sound, and I am just using on board audio. I am considering getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better though for longer listening as the PC 350's get really warm really quick. I also picked up a set of Audioengine A5+'s and they sound great.

So what I would the improvement be if I were to get a DAC for the Sennheisers and Audioengines and would looking at getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better be a large imporvment over vs my PC 350's for the cost of the investment?

I have a pair of HD 598's and they are indeed great. Comfortable, good sound and easy to drive.

Can't say how they compare to PC 350 as I haven't heard them, but my guess is that you wouldn't regret the purchase.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
ATH-M50x is going for 120 dollars at massdrop!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Fat Aggression posted:

Looking for some new headphones as a Christmas gift for a buddy of mine. He mostly listens to either classic rock or hip-hop and wants them for on the go listening. I looked through some of the links in the OP, but wasn't sure if there were better/more recent choices.

Budget - ~$50
Source - Phone/Mobile
Type of headphone - IEM

Any suggestions?

Those are the two genres I mostly listen and TTPOD T1E T1 sound really nice with my phone.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Kalenden posted:

The 770s don't ship to my location (Belgium, ordering from UK). The 235's do however.

Unless others can suggest better headphones for my intended use case, I'll go with the 235s I think.
Its not that I necessarily want to spend more money than necessary, but I'm concerned (by the low price), that I'd be downgrading from my current Philips headphones (which where like 80 euros? or somesuch).
I'd rather have a more expensive, better headphone than a cheaper, worse one. Again, taking in mind that they have to be bag-portable and mostly intended for gaming.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion but I'm still open for others. If nothing else springs up, I'll be certain to go with the 235s.

Also, after some research, I've found these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-SoundT...True+Headphones
Whats the opinion on that headphone? It doesn't appear in the list of the OP.

Thomann definitely delivers to Belgium and I think they give a 3 year warranty for everything.

e. If you want the 770s I mean.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

evobatman posted:

I want to upgrade from my Steelseries Siberia V2 at work, and I'm considering the DT-770 32ohm and the ATH-M50x. Sources will be iPhone 5S, various laptops, PS4 via a Sony STR-DH520 and a Zune HD (gently caress yeah!)

Is one preferred over the other, or are there other good options around that price point?

I got G1 over-ear momentums as my work headphones and they seem perfect for that.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Besson posted:

Whoops I meant 558! Thanks for the recs anyhow.

I updated from 598 to HD 650 last week. Would recommend if you feel ok spending $300+ on headphones.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

insularis posted:

Worth every penny, folks.

I've never experienced anything like this DAC/amp ... ultra-clean, totally adjustable, great crossfeed implementation, and the dynamic/configurable loudness function is really great for quiet background listening. Nothing feels like a tacked-on gimmick, but rather a professionally engineered function. The amp section drives 300 Ohm headphones without even ticking over, and even with the EQ tuned a bit bass heavy (that's the live view in the photo, not the curve chosen ... it was just a bass heavy section when I took the photo), it feels like there is an unlimited power reserve for dynamics.

Until few days ago I didn't even know this thing existed, now I want it so bad.

Does the pre-amp mute the speakers when phones are plugged in?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
A local hi-fi store was cleaning its warehouse and managed to get a demo (full varranty and mint condition) Marantz HD-DAC 1 "cheap".

I have sampled it a bit with my HD 650 and Behringer monitors, bigger upgrade than I thought, coming from Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1+ (also managed to sell it already).

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Krailor posted:

I've got a pair of ER3XRs and I'm thinking about getting a Bluetooth mmcx adapter for them. Does anyone have any experience with them or suggestions?

I have used https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRN-Wireless-Bluetooth-Extension-Earphone/dp/B07D9GY46P for few months (biking to work etc). Works fine for the price.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Any experience on Audeze LCD-3? Spotted an used pair for 950 EUR (2500 EUR normally here) on a local hifi forum.

I am using Sennheiser 650 now which are really good but Audezes could be the next upgrade.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I had to try few different tips but now that the seal is good, Tin T2's are really good for the price. The sound is neutral-ish but not too thin.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

LionArcher posted:

That’s great to hear. Yeah, I got a Best Buy I’ll go try them on thanks!

Do you plan to use them for calls? I just bought my dad's Sony M3 a while ago and he got Boses as their mic has better noise reduction.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay now that I am a junior audiophile with HD650s (great call goons!), a schiit magni, playing lossless files off of my tidal HiFi subscription, what is my next audiophile big leap? Is it getting an offboard DAC for my surface pro? Is it getting a fancier headphone amp?

As a HD650 owner I can recommend using equalizer - I just this week started using these settings and holy moly it is like I have new cans.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Got my BLON 03's yesterday. I had already ordered a better cable and the medium size plugs fit my ears fine so no problems there. After one workday's worth of listening I can vouch for these: one of the best if not the best bang for buck. Tin T2 with front vent plugged are a bit boomier but the both (and koss porta-pro's) have a place in my office setup now.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Any recommendations for headphones in ~1000 - 1500 USD/EUR price bracket? I'm thinking of upgrading from Sennheiser 650's which I have had for about five years now.

Strictly home use with Marantz HD-DAC1, no preference open or closed.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

ddogflex posted:

I'd probably get LCD-2/2C/3/X try them out and see which you like best if at all possible. I really loving like Audeze sound, I own three of their headphones. ZMF Aeolus is also a very nice looking option, but I haven't tried them myself, I'd love to. Hifiman Arya are another option in the same price range as the LCD for planars, and EXTREMELY NICE, but I prefer Audeze myself. Spending this kind of money it's really best if you can test poo poo out, altho I've bought ~$1K headphones without a test-drive so lol.

I actually borrowed LCD2-C for home listening some time ago. Sounded nice but they were a bit too heavy for my liking. I am going to test hd800s this weekend, also focal clear is on my list.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Original 650 / 6XX pads are pretty much the comfiest ones. I have dekonis also but they are so chonky that the clamp is a bit stronger.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I have until Sunday to decide if I want to keep Sennheiser 880S's or return them to the store. They were an outlet item as this pair is a customer return but 1200 EUR could also be used to camera glass or pc parts.

They sound pretty sweet though, coming from 650's.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Returned the 800S's - they were good but not EUR 1250 good.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Dogen posted:

If I really like my 6XX, what’s the next logical step? Are the 800 S that much better? Should I think about trying out planar? The setup for this is computer + headphone amp.

Test before buying if possible. I had 800S for two weeks last summer but ended up returning them as I like my HD650's more.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I am considering getting new pair of IEMS for home / office use (for outdoors I have Shure 215's with a bluetooth neckband).

At the moment I mainly use Tin T2 and Blon BL03, my other headphones are Koss Porta-pros and Sennheiser HD650 which I like but the new IEMs could be something different sounding as I like to have variety. At the moment I am eyeing the following:
- Fiio HF7
- Etymotic er4sr
- Moondrop Blessing 2 dusk

any feedback if some of those have bad QC or something? I don't really need absolute isolation but some would be nice as I would use them in open office environment or work at home where my girlfriend also works and has a lot of calls and zoom meetings.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

qirex posted:

How do you like the T2s? I’m looking for something in that price range that isn’t a weird shape.

Sound is very nice, plenty of bass but not boomy and pretty good instrument separation. They are comfortable to wear when you are sitting still but I think they will fall off from ears when walking due to weight distribution. I use them with some spinfit tips.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you considered the 7hz Timeless or the shuoer S12? The new generation of planar IEMs is very very good and a big timbre (if not tuning) difference from what you've already got.

Otherwise, I'd rec the ER4XR or B2D if they fit ya.

Isn't timeless quite open for IEM though? I do not require absolute isolation but some would be nice.

edit: there's etymotics sale in drop.com so I bought ER3XR for 95 usd + shipping.

Sorbus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 3, 2022

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Xabi posted:

Are there any good options if I want open headphones that will run nicely with a phone/iPad/computer and without an amp?

Koss porta-pro rules.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
There is no source update that would make M50(X) not sound like rear end. Update headphones first and buy dac / amp later if needed.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

njsykora posted:

Beats imo are straight up recommendable these days since they're basically bassier and cheaper Airpods Pro, the rumour about the upcoming redesign of the Pros is that it's straight up lifting the design of the Beats Fit.

In other news the Etymotics I bought from Drop have now drifted their ship date from January 21st to March 22nd.

Which etymotics did you order? My 3XR's are on their way already.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I use Qobuz now but I'd say that Tidal is significantly better than Spotify and about the same as qobuz and amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I ordered apple airpods pro 2's on Tuesday and they arrived yesterday evening (pretty impressive as they shipped from Netherlands and stopped in Belgium and Germany before arriving in central Finland) and I really like these so far. Fit is good and I can't feel them in my ears at all, sound quality is good* and I like the transparency mode when walking through factory yard into my office.

A bit expensive and I haven't yet tested the ANC (I usually listen to Slayer with my Sony WH1000XM3's when vacuuming) but overall happy so far with these.

*not as good as Etymotics ER3XR's though but the lack of wires is nice when outdoors or at the office.