Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Elentor posted:

I'm pretty sure they posted in the previous thread back when they were founding Schiit.

Yep, the company's boss (I think it was him) was handing out goon discounts at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Midorka posted:

Just kidding, I think the guy backed out. Maybe it's for the best.

I sold a magnificent (no other word for it!) photographic lens a couple of years ago so I could buy something else - headphones, actually - and while I still have those cans and use them all the time I always regretted selling that lens.

So, yeah, in my experience I'd say it's probably for the best.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Dolby Headphone - at least as implemented on my (aging) Xonar D2X - really is quite good; coupled with the Senns 595 it created a noticeable and very cool out-of-head experience. I only stopped using it when I got better cans with a larger soundstage.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Either way, if anyone has any thoughts on my amp/headphone recommendations I'm stoked for them!

Seconding this because I'm curious to know what's out there for a 800$ budget. Lower or higher I could help you, but at that range I have no idea. Maybe the Senns HD650? No personal experience with them but they should work nicely with your musical preferences; they're not what you'd call balanced, though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I only say balanced because I listen to so many classical pieces where you tend to hear important voicing across a wide range of frequencies. One of my favorite programs is Pipedreams, which travels around the world for performances on tons of different organs and venues. I'd hate to spend a decent amount of money and not have as good of a representation of the hellish low end of a massive organ compared to the ghostly high end stuff. If I was spending more than $800 I'd probably just wait and get the Sennheiser HD 800. Hell, I could get it now but I'm not so convinced that I will really hear a difference. So many buzzwords and I don't understand enough about the actual engineering to make an informed decision.

If the 598 are anything like the 555 and 595, hell yes you will and I say this as someone who's three years past the initial "euphoria". At 1400$ they're pretty hard to recommend, but if you can find a good deal (I got them for ~900$) this random guy on the internet says you will not regret it.

e: ^^^^^^ Also, yeah, you should probably do this.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Welp, I sold some crap I hadn't gotten around to getting rid of and found a deal on like-new HD 800s from a trusted seller for about a grand. I love a good impulse buy so let's see what the trip report looks like!

A fine choice :chord:

Not sure the Xonar will give them enough juice, though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Now imagine how they would sound if you recabled them with Elite Reference TWag X IC's with CryoFreeze(TM) carbon fiber connectors.

(I just checked St. John's Passion on youtube, thanks for that. I can imagine it being a very rich experience with a better source).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Skim Milk posted:

So I have the HD650s and a good amp and DAC. Where do I go from here?

Cable lifters.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Miko posted:

Currently burning in a pair of DT990 Pros at home. I've taken a quick listen and they're doing just fine, but I just ran it directly from my iPhone 4.

My computer setup has a pair of Logitech Z-2300s, which are amped iirc, and i just intend to use the DT990s with the 3.5mm jack from the remote. Alterantely, I could just hook it up directly to the 3.5mm directly from my motherboard.

Tell me what to do, or are they both the same thing, essentially?

edit: if u tell me to get a tube amp, i just might, so plz have mercy

Why not burn those headphones on your head? No sense in having them play music all day if no one's there to listen.

The pod's output of the Z-5500 is awful, I imagine the Z-2300 isn't any better. Assuming your motherboard isn't ancient you're better off using that, though you're going to need an amp sooner or later because I doubt the mobo will give them enough juice. No need to go with tubes unless you actually want to.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Unless you're powering your current cans with a potato, the best upgrade is always better headphones.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I have a LD MkIII. It's pretty good. How good? I don't know; this is the only tube amp I've heard so it may, in fact, be the opposite of pretty good. It's better than my previous amp, but that was a solid state so is that a fair comparison? Maybe it's not better per se, only better suited to my tastes? Interesting if true.
Also, Tom's Hardware has declared every DAC is the same, so maybe don't waste your money on a premium model? Unless you want to, of course; this is a hobby after all. Is money ever really wasted if you enjoy what you've purchased? Hmmm...

For comparisons between different amps and whatnot, you should probably check Head-Fi.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Holyyyy poo poo. If you are using a Essence STX please check this link immediately and just do what it says:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-stx#wiki

Also grab the community unified drivers and be sure to totally disable your onboard audio in the bios. I do not joke when I say that I am finally hearing these HD 800s properly. I had no idea there was a 44.1 khz bug with the default asus drivers. Bass is so well defined now and the soundstage is somehow even better... it is like a night and day difference. So glad I randomly decided to check for new drivers and stumbled on the HeadFi thread for the soundcard.

Glad you got things working properly (maybe?), but I'd be putting that piece of crap on ebay right about now. As far as arguments for preferring external DACs/amps go, "200$ soundcard with lovely drivers was screwing with my super high-end cans; manufacturer doesn't give a gently caress; problem fixed by The Internet" has to be pretty high up there.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I'm so curious as to how the 800's sound...

They sound loving awesome.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Protip for you HD800 owners: don't let your not-quite-house-trained-yet dog get to them. The chipped paint I can live with since these cans naturally shed paint (for some reason), but they don't work so good with only one ear pad. At least the fall didn't break anything, but I most definitely had a better use for these 90€.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Arcturas posted:

My old JVC HA-S700's broke this evening, and so I need to replace them. I'd like an over-ear pair for general computer use that occasionally lasts for hours on the weekends. Budget's sub-$100, preferably sub-$80.

So far the top contender seems to be the Creative Aurvana Live headphones, though the Philips O'Neill SHO9560, and Phillips Superlux HD668B also seem decent. Does anyone have any advice on any of those three? Or am I making a horrible mistake and should be getting _____ instead? (a headset with mic would be gravy but is very low priority)

(I also looked at those $35 AKG K99's but, uh, the site confuses me. I want to be able to give them my money and get my items without logging into facebook)

Don't know the other two, but I'll get to listen to the Superlux (not Philips, btw) in a couple days. Really curious about them, though I imagine the hype is - as usual with these things - greatly exaggerated.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I listened to the Superlux 668B and it's hard to believe the sound I heard was coming from 25€ headphones. They feel cheap both in the hands and on the head and comfort is mediocre at best but they sound pretty drat good. As expected, people claiming they're GIANT KILLERS!! and those who sold their high-end cans in favor of the Superlux are out of their minds, but I'll definitely recommend them to anyone wanting decent sound quality on a tight budget.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How do they stack up to K240's?

Sorry, never heard those, but I'm pretty sure I've read some comparisons on head-fi where the AKG come out on top. They cost more than three times as much as the Superlux (where I live, at least), so not exactly a fair fight.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Sound quality isn't usually a top priority in video games, so don't blame the hardware just yet. How do movies sound?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

The 800s are excellent and can immerse the hell out of you, but you'll never mistake them for speakers. That's not something you should expect from headphones, really, no matter the price. Unless binaural recording becomes mainstream, somehow.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Real binaural audio with well isolating headphones actually works. I have heard a demo tape that was actually the most convincing 3D audio I've ever heard, even better than Atmos or other good high end multi speaker setups.

But yeah, the "7.1" surround sound headphones are bullshit.
Binaural works with any headphone :confused:

For those unfamiliar with it, it's well worth checking out; plenty of videos and songs on youtube, though you'll have to wade through a million "extremely powerful third-eye opening beats!!!" to find them. Few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gpl99s02Aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W711fdaGyu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itLxXeyM2aM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9b7UfkEJrM

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Oh, I'm sorry, do you expect my $32,000 cables with dynamically charged dielectric material and active tesla coils to actually touch the floor? Sure, let me just get rid of the dozen $860 particle accelerator lifters I purchased with them.

Maybe next I'll donate my $369 titanium-built mechanically tuned resonance control devices (sold in single units) to charity and just place my $48,000 amplifier on a table like an rear end in a top hat.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Going from the HD595 to the K701 was definitely an upgrade for me, but you might not like their sound (large soundstage, subtle bass, emphasis on the highs). If in doubt, the Senns are a good, safe choice.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

MrCompson posted:

I'm basically looking for a new all-around headphone to replace my old Sennheiser HD650s that I've owned and loved for the last seven years.

If you want to stay with Sennheiser, the HD700 seem like a good fit. More balanced than the 650 and around $400.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Alright. I just went by the general opinion, never heard them myself. Still seems like a solid choice for a high-end all-arounder but yeah, listen to them (and any other candidate) if you have the chance.

Are the T1 that bad? Hadn't heard about that. I was seriously considering them back in the day.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

MrCompson posted:

My brother has a set of HD700s that he never uses and offered to sell them to me on the cheap, but I can't really say I preferred them to the HD650s when I tried them out.

Why's that?

Re.: HD800, if you loved the K701 chances are good you'll love the 800s.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you heard the 800s?

Many times since I purchased them six years ago. Do you disagree? It's been a while, but I remember them having a fairly similar sound.

MrCompson posted:

If I bought the HD800s used, they'd be quite a bit over my budget, and new they'd be almost three times my budget. I'd prefer to not go completely crazy and to actually stick with the pretty big budget I set :v:.

That's fine and why I didn't suggest them in the first place!

And yes, they do look a little silly.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

How do they compare to the Vivo XE800s?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the info on the ZS5. I don't actually need any more IEM's, but I'm sure I'll grab these sooner or later. Though I see the ZS6 are about to come out...

edit: beaten, somehow

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Do you have a box full of Lego(s) stashed somewhere? Of course you do.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Received the KZ ZS6 a few days ago and they're real good. Much better than the XE800 I used until now. Already ordered some foam tips and a couple of cables for optimal sound purity improved microphonics.

Really impressive stuff considering I paid 20 bucks for these.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Any European alternatives for the Atom? One of these tiny combos would be perfect for my desk to replace a dacmagic + Little Dot amp.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Wheeee posted:

As noted you can control AirPods like that, but if you want something else the original Galaxy Buds run around $100 USD these days and are still one of the best sounding true wireless IEMs on the market.

Jumping up on this, do these true wireless IEM's actually sound good or just good enough if wireless is your main concern? I'm looking for buds that could replace my current wired IEM's for 1) music on the go, 2) at the gym and 3) discreet enough to use at work to listen to audiobooks, but I'll keep two pairs if I'm compromising too much wrt sound quality.

Assuming yes, are the new Galaxy Buds Plus a good choice? I don't mind spending a little more if it's worth it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks, that's very helpful.

The AKG N400 look great, but can't be used one bud at a time? That's odd and a deal-breaker for me. Also, unavailable for now in my corner of the world.

Seems like the Galaxy buds and Sony WF-1000XM3 are the only ones that fit all the criteria. I don't need active NC, so Samsung it is, I guess. The Crinacle guy has me doubting which version to pick, though.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, if I was pursuing audio quality over comfort and convenience with Bluetooth headphones I’d probably do some good wired phones to a Bluetooth receiver like the various FiiO ones on the market. Clip it to your shirt or stick it in your pocket iPod Shuffle style (remember those? I loving loved mine).

Usually, I would, but in this case I've got to prioritize convenience and practicality. True wireless and zero additional gizmos are a must.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

What's your opinion on True Wireless in terms of sound quailty?

Got my Buds+ yesterday after asking about TWS in this thread a few days ago. Not as inconspicuous as I had hoped, but from what little I heard, they sound pretty good. Had to change EQ to Clear as Normal seemed very unbalanced, with everything above the low frequencies muffled to hell? Weird. Need more time to test them out.

First impression: not worth the 120€ I paid for sound alone, but worth for the overall package. Not having any cables dangling is great. Closest I had was a Bluetooth adapter for my IEM's, but that still had a little one connecting both phones.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress it, use your money to buy nice headphones, you deserve good audio. An OLED TV, too, while we're at it. Both still end up cheaper than the newest iPhone. As long as you're not spending cash on cable holders or gold-plated toslink connectors, don't worry, you're not an audiophile, it's okay.

My crazy money HD800 are twelve years old and remain the single best purchase I've made. A decade of never being the bottleneck but always delivering some of the highest quality audio available, from Pirates of the Caribbean bootleg DVDs all the way up to Coldplay x BTS 96/24 vinyl rips.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Just received a Topping DX3 Pro+ and it is Very Good. Would've been better with a 6,35mm output, perhaps.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'd recommend getting a pigtail adapter, hanging that much weight off a 3.5mm port is bound to cause damage eventually. like this kinda thing:

frankly i don't know why they even sell the barrel kind, it's so unwieldy

Oh, that's much better. I'll buy one asap, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Any recommendations for sports-focused wireless IEMs? Sweat resistance and staying secure in place are as important as sound quality here. My Buds2 Pro are fine for daily use, but I keep having to adjust them while running or even doing low-impact stuff at the gym. I wish they'd kept the wing tips from the previous model.