Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Have a pair of HifiMan Sundara's coming in. Knowing it crushes a $4000 Focal headphone floors me. Endgame is in sight.

Just hope they don't break on me like my HE-400i's

5-HT fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

grack posted:

Umm, who exactly said that the Sundara's are better than the Focal Utopia?

Edit: Are you sure you aren't mixing up the Sundara and Susvara? The former are $500 and the latter are $6000

Not confusing them, currently wearing the Sundara's rn

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-sundara-around-ear-open-planar-magnetic-headphones

First comment

quote:

Utopia btfo.

HE6 btfo.

What a marvel. Definitely agree with the WoF this time. Might have to get a pair.

Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-sundara-around-ear-open-planar-magnetic-headphones#ITCZ6DreVgDJTOUt.99

there's really not much of a comparison. hifiman managed to overengineer a midrange product

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Virtue posted:

Is it likely the Bose QC35s go on sale between now and say May? Want a pair for a trip coming up but retail is steep and the ebay refurb bose store is all out.

iffy. your best bet is to grab a pair of last gen sony hear.on's. they're going now for about $100 - $150 used and the NC on them is halfway decent. just a pair for a trip this past weekend to chicago, worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CQXGM5K/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm looking for a set of over ear headphones which ideally be wireless. It can be wired/wireless, in some cases a wire doesn't matter but there are moments where I'd definitely like to use them wireless. Soundwise I've got no requirements, I know nothing of audio and can barely hear the difference between an mp3 from the late 90's and a flac file (slightly exaggerated).

I have no idea what's good and not except my gutfeeling that Bose/Beats are incredibly overpriced (which seems to be confirmed by the OP).

Budget - 100-180 euro
Source - Computers, laptops and smartphones/tablets
Isolation Requirements - I'm going to wear it at noisy places and ideally would love to shut out all surrounding sound. It would be nice if it didn't leak my sound to the outside world either.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear is a must
Preferred Tonal Balance - No real preference as long as bass isn't completely crap.
Past Headphones - I've had a pair of old wired Sony's for probably 10+ years that were really nice (around 80 bucks back in the day). I tried 2 pairs of Sennheisers for a while but I don't like the way it feels on my ears/head (and don't like the oval looks either).
Preferred Music - Everything from pop to rap and classical to house music.

if you're wanting a wired solution that's noise cancelling, would strongly suggest the anc9's from audio technica. amazing at their pricepoint.
https://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC9-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B007KWLF5K

first gen sony hear.on's should be right in that nice little ballpark of what you're needing, and if you look around they can be had for as little as $100 USD. probably the best deal on wireless ANC headphones out there since they were the first sony headphone designed to compete with Bose's QuietComfort 35 Series.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CQXGM5K/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_color_name=1&qid=1522011531&sr=1-2

stretching more? strongly suggest the sony hear.on 2's or the bose quietcomfort 35 series 1
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WH-H900...ords=Sony+H900n
https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietCo...quietcomfort+35

finally if you don't need anc, you want something that's comfortable to wear and thoroughly covers over your ears, and you want the best sound you can get in your price range for closed headphones, Beyerdynamic DT770 32 ohm cans will do you you very well. super easy to drive unlike their pro series.. no anc, but these cans sound great and will hold up forever. their only downside is that they're not compact like the others mentioned. so if portability is a big thing, I'd go with any of the other headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...ic+dt770+32+ohm

5-HT fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 25, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice. I am a little bit confused with the ANC recommendations though. The OP says you probably don’t need ANC if you take big / closed headphones. Does that still stand or is it outdated?
I was initially looking at ANC headphones until I read that.

As for the picks, the Bose QC’s are really out of my budget. They’re over twice as much as I’m willing to spent.

I really love the look of the Beyer Dynamic DT770 32 ohms. It’s not wireless though, right (or I missed that part of the specs entirely)? Are they really that good to consider skipping the ease of use of wireless headphones?

they're not wireless no. there's no such thing as a wireless with big ear cups save for the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home Wireless which still isn't out in the USA, and costs at least $799 plus on release. really the Sony's that I suggested or qirex are your best bet for overall performance if wireless is a must. otherwise get the Beyerdynamics and be happy.

qirex posted:

What Hifi just did a fairly glowing review of the MDR-ZX770 which I guess are on closeout prices now.

they're not as good as the Sony hear.On's when it comes to overall quality, and the hear.On's can be found for between $95 - $130 which is perfect for the budget.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 26, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

just puilled the trigger on the audeze lcd-x creators package.... please don't tell me i just goofed

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

D1E posted:

Why though? I thought you felt your Sundaras were better than the Focal Utopia? Isn't the LCD-X a downgrade from that?

utopia and focal headphones in general are just incredibly overhyped. I've demoed the elear and clear and I didn't like the sound on them that much. I can hear why people would like them but there's are a few things that put me off about them. sennheiser hd800's are a overrated too. great sound stage, but terrible when it comes to representing timber and tonality so they need to be EQ'ed to be usable, which is just asinine. even the 800s behaves like this. $1199 for a planar designed to compete with these headphones is very appealing.

and the lcd-x in particular is attractive to me because it has a sound signature that looks like an hd-650 or hd-600 but with better bass extension and other improvements sound wise. maybe a little on the warm side, but it would provide a good contrast for my mixes between something subtly cooler like the Sundara and warmer like the lcd-x. if it sounds like it measures I'll be keeping them.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

qirex posted:

Have headphone people got into DSP stuff? I'd imagine measurement is difficult but a miniDSP is like a fraction of what some of these tweakos spend on slightly changing their sound signature with new headphones.

kind of...

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

ntan1 posted:

I hate to break it to you, but to get the soundstage and the clarity of the HD800 along with the bass extension of the LCDs, you will indeed have to spend $4000.

In other words, both headphones are good and have their ups and downs.

gently caress, at least I'll have something warm to contrast w/ when I'm mixing. have too many bright headphones atm.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

ntan1 posted:

A very large amount of audiophile stuff is bullshit, especially when it comes to DACs, but headphones are actually where there often is a significant difference in what you hear. The problem of loving music is that you have to wade through all this bullshit.

this is true. that's why I've stuck with a 2x2M m-audio interface as my main for most anything I need, and a nice little smsl v2 unit for any harder to drive headphones I have. works wonders.

stumbled on this thread while reading over some things at gear slutz on the lcd-x's coming in. i've never seen someone so thoroughly lose their mind on the headphone end of things. kind of highlights what happens when you go down that rabbit hole imo.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1122097-desperately-need-linear-headphone-price-no-object-everything-i-tried-garbage.html

5-HT fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 29, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Anyone try one of these

http://www.klipsch.com/products/heritage-headphone-amplifier

yet? Looking for a balanced amp for some lcd-x that are coming that has a switch for headphone and rear output.

edit: fuggit, just got one for $450 from an authorized dealer

just going by the specs on paper, seems like a pretty decent deal

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Been working in some noisy environments and realized I probably should go for ANC but may drop the wireless requirement.

The ANC 9 is out of stock everywhere here. I do see the ANC70 at some places, is that a comparable set? If it’s of much lower quality I could order the ANC 9 through Amazon. Even with import tax that’d be pretty reasonable. Returning it will be a pita though.

ANC 9's are decent as well if you want to go that route. personally I'd want to get the DT770's.

here's a good list of headphones who do the best vs the worst in the noise isolation aspect

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/isolation/noise-isolation-cancellation-passive-active

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Any idea how the ANC70 holds up to the ANC9? The latter is out of stock everywhere (and listed as not coming back either) while the 70 is available.

Is the isolation from a DT770 so good that it’s not worth looking at noise cancelling?

the Beyer's passive isolation is insanely good so if I were you I'd go w/ them. the ANC9 is good for noise cancelling, but when it comes to the type of noise it'll depend on what you're trying to filter out.... low rumbly sounds, wind, etc can be filtered. conversations not as much on those cans.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Gunder posted:

I'd like to get some recommendations for the best sub-£400 Bluetooth headphones I can get for portable use. They'll be paired with my iPhone X for walking around a city mostly, with an occasional long train journey. I don't want in-ear headphones. I've been recommended the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II, the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless and the Sennheiser PXC 550, but thought I'd check here first! The headphones I use most often (and enjoy) are the Sennheiser PC 363D. I do prefer to have a slight bass emphasis, as long as it doesn't swamp the rest of the mix. I mostly listen to hip-hop and electronic music (all kinds).

Edit: I've also seen people recommend the Sennheiser HD-1, but they look identical to the Momentum. Are they the same thing?

Edit2: They also must have a microphone for answering calls.

just try to go and demo some Bose QC35 II's or Sony WHM-1000XM2's they're very very similar and meet all of your specs. the Sony is a bit more colored and has some nice gesture features, but the QC's are much more neutral. whatever your preference is, they're still the top of the line.

or pre-order these if you can afford the wait, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mobius-immersive-cinematic-3d-audio-headphone-headphones/#/

they're pretty much Audeze EL-8's, that are wireless, with some really really nice dsp. so best of both worlds. fully expect this headphone to win out over Sony and Bose save for ANC features.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 9, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Gunder posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. How fiddly are the touch controls? Touch controls on things that you can't see while operating always seem to be very error prone in my experience.

they're pretty refined on the Sony's from what I've experienced

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

plape tickler posted:

What would you suggest for around $100 in dac/amp for the sennheiser hd6xx? I was considering the o2-amplifier or the Schiit Fulla 2. That name is ironic? Full of poo poo.

I'd avoid schiit, long and short of it they're known to have issues, especially with their fulla units. And the noise floor on them is terrible.

This SMSL Amp/DAC combo is cheap, has a great noise floor, and will power your HD 6XX cans very well.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Gunder posted:

I guess the ANC is not super important to me, at least not as much as strong Bluetooth connectivity, sound quality and comfort. The other thing I’ve heard is that the Bose QC35II sounds worse with NC switched off. What would be people’s recommendations for non-ANC Bluetooth headphones under £400?

problem is that most bluetooth headphones are super dependent on DSP, and most of them will have an ANC circuit that needs to be turned on to get the best audio. only thing that comes to mind immediately is the Beyerdynamic Aventho, which is going to be pushing close to that price point if you're needing something now.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's the scoop on headphones/earbuds and hearing damage? Does it have anything to do with the quality/make of your equipment? What should I be looking for?

I just got a pretty boring office job where I'm going to want to be listening to music a lot, so I'd like to gently caress up my ears as little as possible.

only if you crank it up

would only use this as a generalized guide tho because human hearing is so varying when it comes to tolerances for loudness. good rule of thumb is if your ears are ringing after a listening session, it's too loud.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Ethereal posted:

I'm full of analysis paralysis and can't figure out what my best combination of headphones should be. I think I pretty much have to have two pairs of headphones in my life :(

I currently own a set of AKG545 headphones, with a detachable ModMic, and some velodyne wired ear buds. I use Mac laptops, an iPhone and an Xbox

My needs!
* About 10 hours of weekly video conferencing each week in a home office. ModMic is important here, but I don't need noise canceling or anything here. The headphones should be comfortable for up to 8 hours at a time.
* 5 hours / week at the gym - Combination of biking and weight lifting. I usually watch Netflix during cardio. Wireless might be handy here because my current earbuds can get snagged on stuff.
* 60-80 hours / year on planes, with at least 4 8hr+ trips / year. Noise cancelling would really help with the annoying plane sounds for sleep purposes. I do usually use the in flight entertainment system, so having a wired option is handy. Something comfortable is the most important, followed by smaller where possible.
* Xbox use - likely need a wired adapter.

A combination of listening to music, video conferencing, and TV watching is what I'd be using my headphones for and am up for any combination of recommendations. Thanks!

that's tough, especially since you want something that you can use for video conferencing. my gut says that you're probably going to want to get a Sennheiser 598 Cs and upgrade from your modmic to a v-moda boom pro to go w/ it.

e: for wireless earbuds, if you want something to try, I'd suggest the Sony WF-1000x. the refurb units go for about $80 and they have some really good anc which makes them great for short flights or gym sessions. everything else can be handled by the Sennheiser 598's.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 11, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 6.35mm (female) to 3.5mm (male) adapter? I've got Sennheiser HD 558 and bent the crap out of it on my computer today. Ran over to Best Buy and they only have the opposite and don't feel like driving out to a Guitar Center.

Saw Monoprice sells one but the reviews seem lackluster. Would a generic one work or are adapters something where quality matters?

Also gently caress Sennheiser for their stupid 2.5mm jack that requires the stupid lock.

this sennheiser cable adapter does the trick

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Niwrad posted:

$20 though! I think I'd rather buy a replacement cord that doesn't have the 6.35mm adapter at the end for less.

Would there be a big difference in the Sennheiser adapter and a cheap Monoprice one like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-3-5mm-Stereo-6-35mm-Adaptor/dp/B003R70OA4/

from my experience, a cable based adapter solution is better because those adapters have a bad tendency to have their 3.5mm jack ends break off in your gear. that's part of the reason why they're rated so poorly.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

so I ordered those "Used - Good" condition Sennheiser HD800S's from Amazon a couple of days ago for $954.

they came in today, and I'm still shocked at how good of a buy this was for TOTL headphones. the cans are in mint condition, as are the cables, and the main box. the only thing in poor condition was the cardboard box outside of it. that's it.

edit: my current cans, plan on selling everything else now.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 13, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

So I recently got a new job that requires me to make/take occasional VOIP calls with a USB headset. The headset that was provided to me is made by Sennheiser and is actually pretty nice but it's REALLY uncomfortable on conference calls that last 30 minutes to an hour because they're 'on ear' headphones. I use this headset enough at this new job to warrant buying a more comfortable.

I only need the headset for voice so I don't care about sound quality at all really. I've been eyeing a number of those $20-$25 'over the ear' usb "gaming" headsets on Amazon. For a sub $30 budget does anyone have a recommendation?

They all pretty much look the same to me tbh.

you're not going to get anything decent for sub $30 because the mic quality on them is just terrible. closest thing is going to be a used/refurbished Steel Series Arctis 3.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

When did you get your lcd-x? Seems like they JUST changed to that headband or did you buy it separately? Apparently all but the lcd3 vegans are getting it. Wonder how it compares to my carbon headband.

just this within this past month. can't make a comparison of this steel headband vs the carbon fiber but I can say that I honestly prefer it to any of the headbands on my other headphones because it distributes weight so well on my big head.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Ahh ok yea. I tweeted them about it and they said the change just happened this month. Is your balanced cable still the flat one or is that braided as well? I know the quarter inch is braided now. Mines a 2016 pair with new drivers so both my cables are the flat ribbon.

i picked up the creator's edition, so I don't have a balanced cable, just a braided 1/4 inch. it's a nice little touch having them braided though since it does make cable management easier.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4RcQIwCkfc

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I know this has been beaten to death here but I really need to ask again. I’m going to be doing quite a lot of traveling here the rest of year and I really need some great and comfortable headphones with ANC.

I guess my choices really come down to the Boss QC35s and some Sony pair? I haven’t done a whole lot of research but I’d like some that are BT but also can be hooked up to 3.5mm (for the iPad and switch).

Would the Bose be the best choice? I don’t mind spending the $350 since I’m going to be putting a poo poo load of hours on them.

bose is still the best overall, but the sony's are really close. I'd audition both the Sony WHM-1000XM2, Sony hear.ON 2, and Bose Quietcomfort QC35 II to get a better idea as to what would be your most ideal pair sound wise.

also, don't discount the sennheiser pxc 550. it has a large degree of control too, and if you like the sennheiser sound, they're pretty nice.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

on another note, this site is great for checking amps vs headphones to make sure you'll get enough power to them

https://www.audiobot9000.com

chi-fi equipment like smsl, topping, etc. actually does really well for powering expensive cans

like for example an smsl vmv va2 amp can power HD800S's just fine
https://www.audiobot9000.com/match/sennheiser/hd-800-s/with/smsl/vmv-va2

5-HT fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 17, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

What site do you recommend for buying refurb headphones? Newegg?

best bets honestly are checking for "used" pairs on amazon. just lookup the product and sort by lowest price. used cans generally aren't going to be much different. it's how I was able to snag a pair of HD800S's for $950 instead of the usual $1300 used or $1600 new. otherwise just go on ebay and sort by lowest price for what you're searching for. you're more likely to run into scams, but there are some real gems on there from what I've seen.

NewFatMike posted:

I’ve got some prototype headphones to test out. They’re my first pair of Bluetooth ones - what should I check out? I’m trying connecting it to some of my devices (Android phone works great, iPad also great, PS4 was a no-go, gonna try laptop and desktop tomorrow).

I got to help EQ them, so I’m trying out a few albums I didn’t try during that process, but this is awfully fun!

here's a tracklist I like to run when auditioning cans. covers all the bases and it gives you a sense of what a good pair of headphones should be able to show in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqEkXDGV6g
- vocal heavy and mostly acoustic, that snap in the background should be heard until about the halfway mark on the track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0p647mDqT0
- dynamic rollercoaster, gets super bright once the synths are introduced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vn9FXebN9g
- strong image separation and moving image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYJsWZRfM08
- tests the lower mids and bass, if anything fades or sound muddy, it's the headphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-F3EQ3hYGU
- the mic positions are super clear on this track, violins to the left, cello's to the right, and the piano itself has separation w/ the left and right channels with higher notes above middle c being more prominent on the right channel and vice versa.
- relatively quiet track overall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaYxcGVj38k
- just for a generic clean indie pop track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGqPUGqfnCA
- only listen to this version, the album version has mixing issues, overly distorted imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9ZpoOCfwy0
- if you love some really really really good bass
- this track is so bass thick and well mixed on the low end
- you should be able to hear the individual notes being played for bass on good cans, this track in particular lets the lcd-x really shine

5-HT fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 18, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jHbaGST_Q

awesome video, goes over Harman Curve compensation and other things wrt testing methods

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

redeyes posted:

Really cool video. I wish they had more reviews up.

then donate, they're like pbs or consumer reports in that regard. they do have a ton more it's just on their website. I think sennheiser and hifiman are the only totl headphone manufacturers they've touched, i'd love to see them review things like audeze products.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews

e: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/suggestions

you can vote on what things you're wanting them to review first

RoboCop 3 posted:

I got my Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2 a few days ago, and I'm really happy with them so far. It's great how much clearer and... "crisper" (?) everything is when the lovely amp in my laptop/motherboard/whatever isn't struggling to drive HD 650s.

edit: What's the general consensus about source volume vs amp volume? My thinking is that I should let the amp amplify and keep the source volume from my phone/DAC/whatever around 50%.

80% - 90% should be just fine

5-HT fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 21, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just got a set of Sennheiser HD 450s and bluetooth and the audio jack both work fine, but I can't see it on any USB port on multiple devices. Anyone know what the gently caress? I've tried with multiple usb cables too.

the hd 4.50 doesn't support audio via usb afaik, only charging. i know the PXC550 started doing that recently, but I don' think the HD 4.5 does going from sennheisers documentation

https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/7891/HD450BTNC_IM_EN.pdf

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh, drat. The old Sennheiser I had has that, assumed it was standard.

...Does the audio cable provide charge, incidentally?

afraid not. you could just plug your charge cable and 3.5mm cable simultaneously, but yea. PXC550 and Momentum 2.0 Wireless have the cable as audio feature, but I think that's it. speaking of which, just picked up some PXC550's for $200 so I might be putting my Sony hear.On's on sale here soon just depending.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Oh poo poo where did you find that price??

amazon. there's some amazing deals to be had if you're checking in at least once a day. on anything I'm really looking for or that I'm saving up for, I check at least once a day to see if there's a new "used - good" or "like new" offer from a reputable vendor. i've had some amazing success with that, including snagging some HD800S's for $954.

and after auditioning the qc-35 ii's, the pxc-550, and the whm-100xm2's i really really found myself preferring the pxc-550's sound signature. the bose although more neutral feels somehow "hollow" or "recessed." couldn't put my finger on why until I pulled some measurements Tyll did. QC-35's have horrendous THD in the midrange which would cause such an effect, maybe the always on ANC. it's super hard to tell is the thing.

here's how they measure

and compensated against the harman preference curve

e: this might explain what I'm perceiving?

Axel Grell for Massdrop Community posted:

How do you feel about the Harman Target Response Curve? Does it have any influence on your design when working on a headphone’s sound signature?

It is interesting. We did something similar 23 years ago. And we had very similar findings. When you tune a headphone only following these findings it sounds okay, but a bit boring. As headphones should transport the music, the emotions, we tune them using our ears, knowing all these findings.

https://www.massdrop.com/talk/989/community-interview-axel-grell

the interview is super fluff save for that particular line.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 23, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Gordy posted:

I'm not sure if people are sick of requests for thoughts on a specific headset, but... has anyone tried the Plantronics RIG 800LX or 800HD wireless headsets? I've used Sennheiser's forever and love them but I was looking for a good wireless unit for around 150 if possible.

just go with steel series 7 and be happy

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/steelseries/arctis-7

they can be had for as little as $85

https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-...series+arctis+7

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Setec_Astronomy posted:

So my puppy just ate my Brainwavz M2's, which I liked very much. Recommendations for replacement wired IEMs in the ~$100 range for music, podcasts, and watching YouTube on my laptop?

Final Audio is your best bet

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Audio-Design-Heaven-Noir/dp/B00HYBAN2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524853797&sr=8-1&keywords=Final+Audio+heaven+II

5-HT fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 27, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

grack posted:

The Final Audio E3000 has similar audio quality to the Heaven 2 and is cheaper.

hard to say if that's true. the Heaven II punches significantly above its price point on measurements

i mean it's only 1 to 1.5db different in response compared to these. only major difference is thd.

quote:

AudezeLCD3Rev2sn2613375circa2012 -- 1.26 dB
FocalElearsn1BEBG004809 -- 1.29 dB
AudezeLCDXSN7454971 -- 1.30 dB
ShureSE425 -- 1.32 dB
AstrotecAX7 -- 1.33 dB
AudezeLCD2sn53211704circa2012 -- 1.35 dB
AudezeLCD3sn2312488 -- 1.38 dB
MrSpeakersAEONPreProduction -- 1.39 dB
AudezeLCD4sn4142923Katz3rdMeasurement -- 1.41 dB
AudezeLCD4sn4142923Katz2ndMeasurement -- 1.41 dB
FocalElear -- 1.43 dB
OppoPM22014PM1VelourPads -- 1.44 dB
FocalUtopiasnA1BEHG003253 -- 1.44 dB
FocalClearsnA1BRQE000007 -- 1.46 dB
AiwaHP500DIYModifiedKabeer -- 1.47 dB
FocalClearsnA1BRQE000013 -- 1.48 dB
AudezeLCD2Rev2 -- 1.48 dB
OppoPM3SampleC -- 1.48 dB
AudezeLCD3sn2312454 -- 1.49 dB
InEarStageDiverSD2 -- 1.51 dB

for more apples to apples, the In Ear Stage Diver SDII is an IEM, and it goes for $350+ easily

5-HT fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 28, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

sofokles posted:

Sennheiser PXC 550 Trip report :

Wow!

they're great cans if they fit well. definitely better than Bose and Sony when it comes to the quality of the audio!

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Lube banjo posted:

At least give time for buyer's remorse to set in. $1300 could be spent on a lot of different things...

if you're using their affirm financing, it's basically like a cable bill for 6 - 12 months. hth.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

So a while back the monoprice m1060 headphones were all the rage in this thread. Are they still a good choice in the $300-400 range for open-back headphones? I listen to a lot of random stuff but I care most about classical. Would just be using it with the headphone jack on my PC although I could go for a dac/amp thing if it were worthwhile

no no no no no no no. they're actually terrible headphones and require a ton of modding to make them sound decent. the ringing on them in particular is bad. they're nowhere close to worth the hype they got in audiophile circles. if you're an avid classical music listener it'd be really really obvious.

do yourself a favor and get yourself a sennheiser hd650. you can find them pretty cheap on ebay used and at worst you'll just need to get new pads for them, which are amazingly cheap. do that or go w/ the hifiman HE400I if you can. if you can stretch the hifiman Sundara's are great too. and do get a separate dac/amp. this smsl vmv v2 dac/amp is cheap as gently caress, and has a really really low noise floor and more than enough power to handle any of the aforementioned cans.

e: for reference, I did own a pair of them, bought into the hype, and returned them immediately as soon as I realized they sound like trash compared to other headphones at that price point

5-HT fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 9, 2018