Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Amazon has Sennheiser HD 518s for $45.

I couldn't resist and snagged them. They'll be my first open-backed headphones. I love my ATH M40Xs, but the isolation can be a bit much if my roommate needs to ask me something. I'm interested in the extra lean towards bass as well rather than neutral studio output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mine just came in this evening, and first impressions are such:

These are way comfy. Super comfy. They are a little more firm on my head than my M40Xs, but I imagine that they will need a little break in time on my enormously sized head.

Since this is my second pair of "serious" headphones, I had heard people talk about sound stage, but now I think I get it especially coming from sealed studio monitor style headphones. It's hard to describe aside from the now cliche "it's like you're where they're playing the instruments".

Being open back is definitely changing how it sounds, but I also haven't really noticed any sound leaking in yet aside from my laptop keyboard clacking in every once in a while. Even singing along to a few tracks, I couldn't hear myself so I guess being enveloped in the sound is still a bonus if you're like me and don't want to hear anything else.

On a few tracks (especially from the album Run the Jewels 2) the bass can be a little overpowering to the detriment of some of the other elements of the music.

Overall, I'm extremely happy I picked them up especially at the price. I'm partially deaf in my right ear, so I thought that different headphones would have really limited returns but I'm surprised once again! I'll have to investigate for the next pair I pick up, which at this rate will be sometime in 2017. They're still on sale, but not for as deep a discount. If you like feeling like you're there rather than hearing every little thing like the M40Xs/MDRs do, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these. Caveat emptor on super bass heavy stuff, though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Are the Audio Technica ATHWS77 any good?

A local shop has an ex display model for really cheap and i'm think of seeing what they are like but headphones are not my thing (it will be mostly phone or computer listening)

How cheap? They look like they go for about $75 new online. Looks like a flat signature with some muddy bass, but seem like a good buy. I'm a fan of Audio Technica, though.

These also look like they're supra aural instead of circum aural in case you haven't tried them on.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The third line usually means it's for a microphone, so if you don't need that then you should be fine.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Drunk Badger posted:

Does anyone here use IEMs as their primary computer gaming headphones? On the fence to either get a good set of IEMs, or get a closed ear headphone for home, and a cheap IEM for my laptop / phone when I'm on the road.

I just have a pair of ATH M40X headphones from Audio Technica and and a hard headphone case. They go everywhere and I haven't had problems with them. I sat on my last pair in a weird way and it broke the plastic holding the can to my ear, but that was after over a year of abuse.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Also voicing a positive opinion for the M40X cans. Fold up great for travel, isolate very well, come with two cables. I'm considering replacing the pads with something a little softer. Does anyone have recommendations?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

M40x with angled hm5 pads.

To add to this, if you need a mic for team chat there are plenty of 10' long clip on mics that will go with the straight cable they come with. If you need to get on the go, you can switch over to the included coiled cable in about 5 seconds. They also fold up nicely to fit into into hard cases, too.

This is my setup for Overwatch and it's awesome!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I know the drop is over for now (had to happen when I was flat broke), but for those asking about the Sennheiser HD 6XXs from Massdrop, they're acoustically unchanged from the HD 600s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzyMlJ6cERg

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Josh Lyman posted:

You meant to say they're unchanged from the HD 650s.

Catching these mistakes is why Jed trusts you so much.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Harman Kardon SoHos are on sale for $40 on Amazon.

Are these any good? Looks like they launched at $200, and I'm tempted to check them out just to check them out. Review sites are kinda all over the place anywhere from 3-5 stars. I don't really have a need - I prefer circumaurals and have ATH-M40Xs for travel and Sennheiser HD 518s for at home, but it can be hard to pass up.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

prom candy posted:

How are the HD598s for bass? I've been using my AD700s more for music and less for positional audio lately and wishing I had something with a bit more kick. I would still be gaming too but I'm playing less counter strike and more rocket league or civ with music on these days.

Edit: alternately, maybe I can figure out a way to push more bass through the AD700s, I do love wearing them.

I use mine daily, but I only have my ATH M40X cans to compare it to. The bass is healthy, but if you really want it to thump, the open back and unsealed nature of the headphones keeps them from being as robust as something that has lots of isolation. The bass isn't weak for sure, but it's not the most bass.

I don't have any complaints, though. They're incredibly comfortable and sound fantastic. I got them on a random amazon deal for $50, and even at twice the price I wouldn't have any trouble recommending them. At $150, though, I might try holding out for the $200 HD 6XX cans on massdrop.

TL;DR everything sounds fantastic on them - podcasts and every song I've given a shot in a very wide gamut and can't recommend them enough unless you're traveling or will be using them in a situation where other folks won't want to hear your music.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are they much of a jump over 518s? I didn't really plan on picking up another pair of cans until the 6XXs come back up on Massdrop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I never really checked, but my ATH M40X and Sennheiser HD 518s at least do stereo L/R stuff so I don't spin wildly looking for the player creeping up behind me. Seems like it's fairly standard?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Do the AKG 7XX cans need an amp? Strongly considering picking a pair up.

E: found a few reviews saying yes. Time to put this Christmas money to good use.

EE: fuggit we'll see how they sound when they get in. My laptop is pretty robust.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 25, 2016

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nice! I was really looking forward to the Sennheiser HD 6XX because I love my HD 518s, but in the meantime why not check these out?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, I'm not trying to get neck deep into amps, but it seems like a Schiit Magni 2 will do what I need it to for whatever headphones I end up with .

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, the stack is what I would be looking at, seems like it should drive most anything?

The 6XX are a future purchase for whenever Massdrop put them up again. I have a feeling that my laptop's internals will be fine, I almost never go above 20% volume on the HD 518s.

Although I am in Christmas food fugue and have been for about 48 hours, so who knows what's even real life. Just best guesses on this one. Won't be a crisis since I can probably Prime a stack my way in 2 days.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The AKG 7XX headphones are extremely comfy.

That is the meat of my trip report because my Schiit stack came in today, but no USB or RCA cables, so those will be in on Thursday.

Even though they're still made of plastic like my ATH M40X and Sennheiser HD 518s, they have a much nicer construction (durr they're way more expensive, but it's my only reference) and feel.

The only issue I have with the geometry is that my ears kinda bump up on the foam covering behind which the drivers rumble. Hopefully it's not a problem when I can actually drive them.

I also really like the way they stay on heads, the whole mechanism is neat, although I do have my suspicions about the longevity of the elastic that keeps things in the right place.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I done goofed boys. The AKG 7XX are dramatically better than anything I used before. The soundstage is sufficiently expansive that I'm doing objectively better in Overwatch because I can hear where enemies are. Now I'm fully into headphones.

As far as music goes, Run the Jewels 3 and ... Like Clockwork are exceptional standouts for their utilizing the soundstage. Overall the quality of the sound is really good, but I think I like the signature (shape? qualia?) on the Sennheiser 518 I have more even though the quality is higher on the 7XX.

Whelp, time to get really psyched for when the Sennheiser 6XX come back up on Massdrop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Schiit stack I have should do fine for 6XX, yes?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

I want a wireless, closed, portable/folding, circumaural headphone exclusively for watching movies on an airplane on my Macbook.

I refuse to buy Bose, so I should pretty much just get the Sennheiser Momentums and be done with it? Or should I look elsewhere? Price up to $500.

Sony MDR 1000X seem to be the going model, but if you don't need active noise cancellation, my Audio Technica ATH M40X cans do just that perfectly with an excellent seal.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

DancingShade posted:

So I very recently bought a pair of M1060s from Monoprice recently because I wanted planars anyway and the price seemed too good to be true (300 USD). Got them today after bit of a wait because Australian.

They're amazing. Holy poo poo. I could waffle on with various words to describe things but that's the summary. Stock comfort is excellent too.

Negative aspects:
You'll need to bring your own 3.5 -> quarter inch adaptor (I had one already), the included cable is only 4ft/1.2m long (I'm... ok with this? My amp is right in front of me when I listen anyway).
The stock pads are synth leather (what do you expect for the price) and they're glued on so when you want to change pads get some double sided tape to adhere them. I'm going to get some ZMF pads for this thing at some point because fake leather makes my ears hot but the real stuff doesn't.

Oh and the cable connectors are mmcx so I'm terrified I'm going to break them because they're tiny. But no joke within a minute of wearing the M1060s I forgot the cable was so short (used to 10ft ones) and I went to get something and ripped the cable right out of my amplifier without damaging the headphones, so maybe my fear is unfounded.

Whelp looks like I'm gonna drop a grand on Monoprice for those and a 3D printer.

DancingShade posted:

No because I still have my old made in Austria AKG701s that I both can't bear to part with but also can't bear to wear because of the torturous headband.
My first "proper" headphones that I equally love and loathe. I tell myself that one day I'll replace the headband with some ghetto arrangement but never do.

Did they ever fix that with the 7XXX or do you still need to tear it off your head and massage your crown after a while?

My 7XXs are extremely comfortable. Comparing only to ATX M40X and Sennheiser HD 598s, but my first impression was really going "Ohh" in a v. good way. I wear them for hours and hours at a time and and love it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The M1060 listing only shows that they're 50 ohms - are those in drive range for most devices without an amp? I know they're open back, but it's still interesting from a travel pair protective.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Excellent, thank you! They have some other planar cans on the site that I'm interested in as well, mostly just kinda seeing what's out there and what's doable.

Thanks again!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Budget? I've been loving my AKG 7XX for gaming because I can actually hear where folks are coming up on me from in Overwatch
Not sure when they'll be up on a drop again and also there open back so unless there's a closed door between me and anyone else they can also hear the cans.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

audio technica m40x

Seconded. They're my travel pair due to high isolation and they really sound fabulous.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

trem_two posted:

Obviously comfort/fit is a subjective thing, but I got rid of my M50xs after a year because they were terribly uncomfortable. No amount of stretching out the headband or trying different pads made any difference, the top of my head and my ears would be miserable before finishing a single album.

Top of my head gets a little achy, but I usually need to extend the headband so it's not resting on there. Keeps me going for multiple hours more, but agreed: it's not as comfortable as my Sennheiser 518 or AKG 7XX.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The M560 and M1060 both super interest me, I'm very curious how they'll stack up against the ATH M40X and AKG 7XX cans that I have for my two use cases* (travel and desktop use, respectively).

For some questions on the M560 (that I may take to the Monoprice page as well):

Do phones drive them well? Google Pixel and Nintendo Switch would be the main forces. I'm curious if they're like the 7XX where they're relatively low impedance but still pretty much need an amp to sound good. I would really like them so I have one pair of headphones that I could just convert from closed back to open back instead of taking both ATH M40X and HD 518 on all my extended trips.

In closed back mode, how's sound leakage? I do like the M40X because I'm not likely to piss off the person next to me on the plane.

Is the case sturdy enough, or should I buy an aftermarket one?

The M1060 is a done deal in my book, will compare to AKG 7XX when I get them.

Thank you thread.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The biggest thing I want to check out between them is soundstage in video games. I got noticeably better in my shoot mans because I could better tell where folks were coming from with the AKG 7XX, and I'm not against having one pair of cans for games and another for music.

Hopefully the M560 travels​ well, the one YouTube review I could find on them seem pretty solid for it and hopefully the stock case is sufficiently sturdy for road warrior activity.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you! I missed the 15 seconds it was onscreen the first time around. Seems pretty sturdy, similar materials to my Slappa for the M40X.

E: pulled the trigger on the M560, will get the M1060 when I have more money. Will update the thread.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 11, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I realize I was the last poster and double posting is in bad taste but that was yesterday. The Monolith M560s got in today (I'm quickly turning into a Monoprice junkie because the things I order from them get to me less than 24 hours after I order).

E: New page snipe, nobody would have known.

My first impressions are that I'm ruined for my other headphones and I'm afraid of what's going to happen when I get home and listen to these compared to the AKG 7XXs.

For constructive feedback for the portable cans use case:
  • These are astonishingly sturdy. The review posted earlier said they were sturdy, but I didn't expect anything close to what they are.
  • The travel case it comes with is not quite as strong as the Slappa case I have for the M40X, but it does have a raised section inside that will keep everything protected from squishes.
  • I am able to get acceptable volume from the Nintendo Switch. It's a little tough to tell because I think Breath of the Wild has very delicate, even sound design even on easy-to-drive cans like my HD 518s.
  • My Google Pixel is able to drive them fabulously.
  • The seal from keeping the closed back wood discs on them is surprisingly good, I wasn't getting any leakage when testing them out, so v. good for planes/trains/automobile traveling.
  • Isolation in both modes is very good, I'm not hearing the trucks outside my open door or anything.
  • I did find some of the mids on the album "Wildflower" by The Avalanches to be a little harsh with my phone as a source, but the whole album did not suffer being dropped one volume notch, still came through perfectly.
  • Both open and closed back modes sound great - I think soundstage is really the only difference between the two, so I am very pleased with that.

I think burn in/break in is pretty woo-y stuff, but we'll see if it's sadbrain audiophiles or if these genuinely get better over time. Either way, out of the box I'm super happy with how they sound and am extremely impressed with build quality. They have replaced my ATH M40X and HD 518 cans for travel purposes (and with the cases and everything, that amounted to $200 anyway). The HD 518 are a bit more comfy than these ones, but I've had these on for about an hour and a half now and haven't had anything more than a little warmth in the ears. Definitely solid for long listening sessions, much moreso than the ATH M40X.

Other things include them being a bit loose on my enormous head (working out because my glasses are kind of acting like shims), they have a pleasant "new-car" smell, and there are lots and lots of coupons in the box for other services like Blue Apron and Sling TV.

Hopefully some of you folks find that useful/enjoyable.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I mean, what you get depends on the model you pick up. Spotify goes up to 320kbps for paid subscriptions, so assuming the master they have is good quality, then you have a pretty good amount of upward mobility on headphone quality that may not be a waste.

Might be hard to get something more comfortable than a Sennheiser 500 series, but closed back cans for travel, or ones that need more oomph from an amp for home usually get you an upgrade in most directions.

It's kind of hard to describe how things sound better until you try a new thing against your old thing and hear it for yourself. And if you don't like the thing, you can return it or usually sell them for about what you got them for.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's not worth it. Dolby headphone uses phase tricks to "simulate" surround sound, it's generally terribly implemented and not worth dealing with. If you're interested in a virtual surround setup, the only software trick I've found that's worth it is Out Of Your Head: https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

You still can't get around the fact that you're simulating a room and multiple speakers with only two stuck to your head, but that software gets close enough to have fun with. To do it right, you'd need head tracking, but I don't know that anyone cares enough to bother for this use case.

anyway tl;dr: forget about dolby headphone it's stupid.

Think Tobi or whatever they're called eye trackers might be able to give you the data needed to do enough head tracking to do that?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The 50X have bass boost, which is fine if you prefer bass, but it kind of pulls them out of reference territory. I believe build and quality are all the same, but the 50X charges you $30+ for the bass boost.

Have only had the 40X, so that's just what I've learned from reading around, someone here may have more experience.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If the suspension system is as well executed as the M560, it won't really feel like you're wearing anything at all. Monoprice has a really solid return policy, too IIRC.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Haven't tried the DT 770, but the M560 is genuinely a great pair of cans. You don't need anything special to drive them, and they sound great.

Earpads may be a little small for some folks, but I've got no trouble wearing them for hours on end. They're really fabulous for everyday use.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If you tell me your address I'll make sure they're safe.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ATH M40X are my go to recommendation, maybe Sennheiser 598C for variety?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

slap me and kiss me posted:

Looking for a headset that I can use at work to drown out the office, and also use for fps gaming.

Budget - $250-$300 CAD
Source - Laptop, desktop, android phone
Isolation Requirements - A little
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear or on ear. No buds.
Preferred Music - FPS gaming, 90s grunge

I am extremely happy with the Monoprice Monolith M560, and they're driven by all those things without any hassle. Definitely my favorite headphones for variety use cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Needs to be driven by his phone, not sure if that'll play well with the M1060