Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I bought the klipsch x4i this weekend and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. Most effortless quality fit I've had with any in-ear, nice balanced sound with maybe a bit too much midrange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

z06ck posted:

The HE-400's are on sale for $300 at Amazon right now, good pick. I bought them months ago for $400. They're amazing provided you have a good DAC/Amp. Just a heads up.

Given that they have just 35 ohm impedance, what about them makes a good amp particularly desirable? Just curious :)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Orthodynamic/planardynamic headphones require a lot of juice to power due to their general inefficiency in design. Imepdance matching is still important but the required power (V^2/R) to produce sufficient volume levels is higher since the dBSPL @ 1 milliwatt is much lower.

Of course HE-6's are a really extreme example, to my amateur knowledge the above is still true.

Ahh, understood. Didn't realize there was another factor. Thanks for that informative post.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/03/sennheiser-new-orpheus-headphones/ lol, sennheiser's new ultra-flagship is $50,000

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Electronics idiot question: I have a headphone amp with only 3.5mm input. I also have an integrated amp with an RCA tape recorder output. Is it safe to use a 3.5mm->male RCA splitter to get the integrated amp output into the headphone amp?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nope, looks like a special snowflake standard.

yeah, based on what they were saying about beats coming out with special W1-compatible headphones

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
my modmic works fine tbh, except the sticky pad dried out after like 12 months

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm going to be working in an open layout (:rolleyes:) building immediately after the new year. I'm going to need something closed and comfortable. I own a bunch of headphones but nothing that meets that criteria. I don't like wearing IEMs for long periods.

Budget - ~$300
Source - hopefully Audioengine D1 out of my work PC, though I haven't verified that this works
Isolation Requirements - closed should be enough, don't believe i'll need ANC
Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed circumaural. In-line mic a bonus
Preferred Tonal Balance - per the headphones below
Past Headphones - K712, HD600 should be the relevant ones for this purpose. I had a pair of HD280s but disliked the vicelike tightness and tonal balance
Preferred Music - all over the place, from metal to hiphop to drone/ambient/noise to modern classical

I'm very curious about the MDR-1A but also very open to recs

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lowness 72 posted:

I primarily use my HD598s for my pc (mostly gaming). I'd like to add a mic.

2 questions:
1. Is a modmic still the best option? Anything else I should consider?

2. I'm thinking of picking up the magni/modi stack later this year. Can you hook the mic up to the stack or does it have to connect directly to the pc (which I imagine would be weird since you'd have 2 cables going to different places).

everyone says the boompro is better, i'm not quite sure how you go about adding one though http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
audioengine d1 has an optical input for $170

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
K712 are so great, love mine

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I bought the Sony mdr1000x and I'm in love w them

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The touch controls work well. They are a bit heavy and may require some expanding if you got a big ol head and don't like a sturdy clamp. I would not say they are bulky compared to hd600/k712 but they are unapologetically circumaural for sure

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VelociBacon posted:

I was gifted some Jaybird X3s for xmas and I'm surprised how awful they sound - even with good fit and messing with the EQ in the associated app. Do these take a few hours to burn in before they're decent?

For context since this stuff is relative, I'm not an over-the-top audiophile, but I normally listen to music via Shure SRH1540s or the upgraded sound system in my car (a modern car with a decent surround system and I've added an aftermarket deck, subwoofer). I've also had like $20 skullcandy IEMs and they sounded much better than these jaybirds. The consensus online seems to be that they're fine - did I get a dud pair? They just have no low end and the midrange is really muddy.

i have X2s and they're tolerable at the gym, but i've used MDR-1000X as well and there's a world of difference. It's not clear to me what the differences are--seems like it might be Sony's LDAC thing--but there has to be something very different going on between what the X2 and the MDR-1000X end up playing

point being, not all Bluetooth headphones are created equal

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VelociBacon posted:

I was having issues pre-app, the app actually helped a bit but it's still quite poor. I'm going to let them burn in for 10 or so hours and see what they sound like then. I'm also not so hot on the stock silicone eartips, they seem far too thin/deformable.

definitely try the foam ones that hopefully came with it; if not you can get replacement/better foam ones from Comply. I hated the X2s until I got the Comply Comfort tips for them

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
looks like Philips quit making the SHP9500. What's the go-to relatively inexpensive choice to use with the BoomPro now?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

emotive posted:

Also interested in this. Seems like most of the headphone options <$100 either don't have detachable cords or otherwise won't work with the BoomPro without some half-assery or modification. Something over-ear and open back would be cool.

Picked up a Steelseries Arctis 3 and the sound isn't very good, even compared to my old Logitech headset.

seems like Status CB-1 might be a go-to if you don't mind closed. $60 on amazon right now

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
SHP9500 is no longer made though :( might be some new on ebay

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Let the thread know what kind of phone you have as it may have a bearing on the best choice

Some BT headphones only support AAC over BT, so they should be used with a phone that supports that; others support only aptX

(all support SBC but you don't really want to be stuck w/that)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Did transparency mode not alleviate that? Or did you try it? Just wondering

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm sure Comply is planning on releasing tips for the Airpods Pro. They did it for the Airpods, which don't even have something you'd conventionally attach a tip to

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
"Computational audio" in headphones is usually awful, like 3d audio gamer gimmicks and other BS. I have no idea if it's possible for Apple to do it "right," but it seems unlikely. I would think large headphones are in some sense the ideal condition for the driver-to-ear relationship and shouldn't need magic tricks to sound good.

Of course they'll sell zillions of them though

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Sony announced the XM5s, releasing on the 20th of May. Looks like they shrunk the drivers though, from 40mm in all the prior models to 30mm. Seems like a negative, but I guess time will tell

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

heavy liquid posted:

I preordered these and should be getting them Friday. I'm upgrading from the XM3 and am looking forward to using them. Seems like most people are upset that they no longer fold up, but that doesn't concern me. I can see if you travel a lot it could be a negative, however. My main concern is getting the best possible ANC to block out people around me in my office.

Nice, please post your impressions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thinking of getting myself the Sony LinkBuds S for music, podcasts, audio books etc. Currently £120 in the UK. Good price or would I be better with something else ? Was considering the Sony WF-1000XM4 but some reviews say they're quite uncomfortable after a while.

Depends on how long "a while" is to you. I can wear the xm4 for over an hour before i start to notice them, but I also virtually never need to wear them for more than an hour

Also bought the comply tips for mine and they seem to help