Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

VelociBacon posted:

Hi thread. I'm looking to upgrade my cans but I'm having difficulty really gauging where to move from what I have. I'm hoping someone can sum up the headphones I have and possibly offer a suggestion or two seeing as there are tons of headphones around the price point I'm looking at.

My current headphones are AKG K271 Mk II's. I quite like them but wish they had tighter, lower, and cleaner bass. I mostly use my headphones for gaming but where I really care about the performance is where I'm listening to music. The music I listen to is a mix of metal/various electronic/rock/DnB/Dubstep. I use my headphones exclusively at my PC and don't mind having to pick up a headphone amp to power the next set of cans but I don't know if that will be necessary at the $400 price point which is where I'm looking to pick up the next set.

What I'm looking for:

Circumaural closed-back headphones with exceptionally good low end. I'm not looking necessarily for hyperaccurate reproduction with a flat soundscape a la studio engineer style headphones.

Any suggestions to follow up on would be awesome. I'm happy to check out reviews but I feel like it's a deluge of 30+ options in my price range and nowhere for an outsider to really start interpreting the data in the reviews.

I have owned the AKG K271 MKII headphones in the past, but sold them due to the lack of bass. Other headphones I currently own include the Ultrasone HFI-580, Sony MDR-R1, ATH-AX700, and a pair of Heir Audio custom IEM A.4's. I just bought a pair of Shure 1540's for $499, and they are basically perfect for my closed headphone needs. If you want an all around headphone that can also handle EDM with some solid bass they are a great headphone. I listened to a pair of HD650's the same day and I liken them to the 650 but closed and will more detail on the highs and mids. I think the bass response was probably deeper on the 650's but they are open. The 1540's are a great closed headphone for more than just EDM.

I tried out some HE-500's and a pair of v-moda 100's as well and although the HE-500's were really great, the v-moda's were crap compared to the headphones I listed above. Even the HFI-580's are better in their detail, quality and quantity of bass than the v-moda 100's, and they are half the price.

So on the higher end I would condsider the shure 1540 at $499 and you can find the HFI-580's for under $200 on amazon. Of course I don't know what level of bass you are looking for so it is difficult to give you an exact headphone to check out. I am still interested in the elusive Ultrasone Pro 900's which are supposed to be the ultimate in detailed but significant bass headphones. but right now they are over 500 dollars and for many people all they do well is EDM, so I wasn't willing to risk it. If you can find a pair to listen to though, I would check them out, they might be what you want.

I prefer warmer sounding headphones, I consider myself a basshead but I don't like beats, or the Sony XB800's (I own a pair of these). Cold and clinical is boring to me, I assume this is the case with you as well, given you like EDM. If you really want more bass from the Shure or 850's you can always tweak the bass using your equalizer. They both handle the lower end well, but you are still going to get more detail with the Shure 1540's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm looking for a pair of circumaural headphones that will suit me for gaming as well as listening to music. I've been listening to a lot of music lately that sounds like Mogwai/Com Truise/Washed Out if that helps at all. Right now I own a Plantronics GameCom 780 and I particularly enjoy it for the virtual surround sound, but I feel like for some reason I am doing myself a disservice by not owning a "real" pair of headphones. I will probably end up buying a separate mic but I wouldn't mind having another headset as long as it has good audio quality too; it seems like gaming headsets are generally regarded as gimmicky or trash compared to a good pair of headphones.

I've done some reading and looked through a few different guides including the ones linked in the OP and am having a hard time coming to a solid conclusion so far. The ATH-M50 keeps coming up as a popular choice and I'm almost ready to just stop now and order a pair, but I am reading that it isn't so great for gaming. I don't really consider myself competitive but I do enjoy having an upper-hand in a game where auditory cues can turn the tide (think CS:GO for example).

Right now I don't own any special audio equipment, just the on-board audio chip on my motherboard (Realtek ALC892). I could consider buying a Xonar DG sound card if it's necessary.

I would like to spend $150 or less and the ATH-M50 is just a dollar short of that on Amazon right now. Is there something better or cheaper I should look into instead?

Good audiophile level headphones with integrated mic. Both headphones are based on older non-mic versions that were popular with gamers. In fact I have the precursor to the ATH-ADG1.

Open headphones for gaming: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/97d660ada89c32c8/index.html
Closed headphones for gaming: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/97d660ada89c32c8/index.html

If you don't want to spend that much then you will have a more difficult time finding a good pair of headphones that also have a microphone, if that matters to you. If you are thinking of the ATH-M50 I would also consider the Ultrasone HFI-580's. I own a pair and the s-logic technology they use, drivers are offset, allows for a wider sound stage than other closed headphones. These would handle 5.1 sound much better if you have a card that outputs it.

I currently have an Asus Xonar STX card and switch between a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580's and Shure 1540's. It doesn't matter the headphone you have if your source is crap. You should also think of upgrading your sound card, something with 5.1 if you want directional sound in FPS games.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Thanks for the reply, I'd really love to get my hands on the ATH-ADG1's seeing as it's more or less an ideal product to me but I'm not sure I can take that $300 hit at the moment. I may end up going with the HFI-580's and will probably grab a Xonar DG card since all I really have now is on-board sound.

If anyone else has any input or suggestions I'm completely open to them, this would be my first actual experience using a sound card and quality pair of headphones.

EDIT: Managed to grab the HFI-580s for only $125 and ordered the sound card, next step is purchasing a ModMic probably. Thanks again for the suggestion Hamelekim.

Hope you enjoy them, I know that I do!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Cantorsdust posted:

My wife watches TV in the same room that I'm on the computer. I want a set of headphones that will absolutely minimize as much external sound as possible. Features I want:

1) comfortable for long periods of listening, so probably over the ear headphones
2) must absolutely block as much outside sound as possible
3) 5.1 surround sound
4) an attached microphone would be a plus, but I'm willing to give that up if I can get the others

Money is no object if it works and will last a while (okay maybe not something $1000+)

edit: I'm currently using a Logitech G35 which, despite its "gaming" branding, actually has very good sound, including surround sound, and is very comfortable.

You would be better off buying a sound card with 5.1 like an ASUS Xonar STX, and a good pair of stereo headphones. Then purchase a boom mic to attach to the headphones.

There are a bunch of good sealed headphones in the 200 - 300 dollar range that would meet your needs, without a mic.

I'm looking at purchasing the ATH-AG1 when it hits North American shores, it is selling in Asia and Australia already. Audiophile level headset with a very good microphone, looks very promising. But that might not come out for several months.

There are also IEM's which are very good at sealing out noise if you don't mind sticking thing in your ears those are a good choice. The audio quality is great, although the 3D imaging generally isn't.

These are probably along the lines off what you want http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/mmx-300.html

comments on the MMX-300 from head-fi http://www.head-fi.org/t/354811/beyerdynamic-mmx-300-or-sennheiser-pc350#post_4662705

That's probably what you are looking for with the sound quality, low end, and integrated microphone.

One more option would be V-MODA M-100 + XL pads + their BoomPro Mic.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 1, 2014

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm looking at the MMX-330 and it advertises 18db of noise attenuation. I'm not an expert at audio stuff, but my understanding is that 10db ~ 2x the perceived sound level, and an approximately 4x decrease in sound doesn't seem like enough to block out the TV fully. I did more research and found the Seinheiser 380 advertises 32db noise attenuation. Are they any good for listening? And none of these products talk about surround sound, which is important to me for gaming. I can really sense direction with my current Logitech G35s. If I get a decent sound card and plug my new headphones into that, will they give me the same experience?

Thanks for the initial suggestions, by the way. I know very little about audio stuff and I don't know enough to identify bullshit in reviews.

What they advertise for noise reduction and what it actually does can differ depending on many factors including the shape of your head. Some people just have heads that don't fit the cups very well so they don't seal. Generally speaking with leather or pleather you are going to have a much better seal in general than any kind of cloth. But how much pressure the headphones put on your head also make a difference. Some headphones just don't seal well because they do not put much pressure on your head. You can generally fix this by bending the headrest to a tighter fit.

You also have to remember that you have headphones on reducing ambient sound and then you are listening to audio as well from your PC so together that will block out any ambient sounds around you.

With regards to the sound card, yeah it makes a huge difference. When I use my asus xonar sound card, or my Astro A40 mixamp, the virtual surround sound make a huge difference. You can actually hear direction, so it does work. If you get headphones that advertise 5.1 or 7.1, they are going to be crap for audio even if they provide you with surround.

In general an open headphone will image better than a closed, so the surround sound will be better, but in your case that won't work.

I was using a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580 headphones for my PC audio and they were really great at sealing out ambient noise. Plus they worked well with the virtual 5.1 from my sound card. The only issue is that they have no mic. I would definitely suggest getting a 5.1 soundcard and a headphone that images well to increase the 5.1 sound.

If I were you I would do some searching on http://www.head-fi.org/. That is the go to place for user reviews on headphones and IEMs. You are limited in sound quality when you look at headsets vs headphones. Integrated mics usually mean the audio quality is not great. It seems as though companies are starting to put out better stuff for PC gamers as they realize they want good positional audio and quality for gaming. Sennheiser also puts out some gaming headphones although I cannot speak to the quality of the built or the mic.

These are Sennheisers gaming headphones coming out this year which might be a good choice if you can wait http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/groupe/en/158/1 . Otherwise I would probably go with the Beyerdynamic headphones. If you can try to find a place that has them on display to try them out. If they don't have those particular headphones try to find the DT770's as those are the headphones that the gaming headset are based on.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

me your dad posted:

What the gently caress does it mean when someone says the "bass sounds fast"?

Sometimes I feel like headphone reviews are like craft beer reviews. Maybe the OP could update with a guide to understanding common descriptive phrases.

Some other confusing bullshit, found quickly:

"Musical" mids? What the gently caress else would they be? I understand 'fatiguing'.

It's like when a beer review mentions 'notes of sawdust on an Autumn evening... light mouthfeel with a slightly underdone biscuit presence complimented by aromas of burnt coriander roasting over a chicory fire at night when a car horn honks..."

You should read http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary. That will help you to figure out what they are talking about.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Rockybar posted:

I'm going to be going travelling for a few months and would like to get a pair of appropriate in-ear headphones. Main criteria are good sound isolation (e.g. for flying or blocking out the sounds of a noisy bus etc.) and high durability (can be worn in the rain, can hold up being wrapped around a phone and stuffed in my pocket and will last for a long time).

The source will be an iPhone for 90% of the time, I'd only really use these while travelling. My budget is probably maximum £150, but less is better. I've previously owned or own some QC15s (please don't judge me), which I like for wearing around the house and on long flights, and basically use for everything, but don't want to risk taking them. I had some Klipsch S4is a while ago which I seem to remember being good. Had some beats in-ear headphones which were too bassy and overpriced and fell apart. My currently in-ear headphones are some Audéo Phonaks which I find to muddle the music together too much. I listen to quite a lot of acoustic music and would rather have the sound crisp with good isolation of individual instruments over anything else.

edit: an iPhone remote would be a big bonus

Shure SE215, the black variant. The black has a softer more flexible cable. They have a great sound as they have a dynamic driver. You can find them for about $150. There is also an iphone cable you can buy from Shure with mic and controls.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Rockybar posted:

Thank you for the advice, the Westones look great but a little above my price range. I looked at the SE215s, and I may well get them, the iPhone remote option really is a big plus for me. I've also ordered another set of ear tips for my Phonaks. I've been using the foam ones which apparently muffle the sound, so if I still don't like them with the new, silicon tips I will probably get the Shures (unless the Westone 2s are any good).

The Shure SE215 are a more fun earphone due to the dynamic driver. They are also very good for mids as Shure is well known for.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

beergod posted:

I don't think a single gadget has ever profoundly changed my life so quickly (aside from a smart phone) as my senn 650's. I use them for everything. Such a huge quality of life thing.

I feel the same way about my Shure SHR 1540's. I listened to the 650 too and they were both great. I needed a closed can though.

I am lusting after the Shure SE 846 iem now. 1000 dollars is a lot of money
but you get three sound signatures for that price so... It is still ridiculously priced but they will be mine some day.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

eddiewalker posted:

For that much money, an IEM better be custom-molded. There's no going back to universals.

I have a pair of CIEM's. But weight loss or gain, or a bad impression, or taking off too much material in production can lead to an imperfect seal, which affects sound quality. You can purchase the SE846, and get a custom molded sleeve which will give you the fit of a CIEM along with the resale value of an IEM.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ineptmule posted:

I've decided that I actually DO need some noise cancelling headphones. For work, I often fly on a small private plane and the engine noise is doing my head in.

I'm looking for good noise-cancelling with, I guess, OK sound but really that's not the main reason so I'm not to worried about that. I have plenty of cans for actually listening to music.

I guess I could be happy to spend up to $200 seeing as this is essentially a health issue.

I would suggest IEMs rather than noise-cancelling, if you don't mind having something in your ear. Specifically, using foam or triple flange tips. If you really want to get wild, you can go with a pair of custom IEMs, or get some decent IEMs and then get some custom moulds made. In the end the sound will likely be better than what you pay for noise-cancelling headphones, and you get better isolation.

I would suggesting reading up on the noise-cancelling headphones at the following link http://www.headphone.com/collections/noise-cancelling-headphones. If you want bose, which have the best noise-cancelling, they are going to cost you 300+ dollars, and the audio quality is not very good compared to other headphones.

As I said, I would suggest going with IEMs rather than headphones with active-noise cancelling. You just need to find the right pair that seal out enough outside sound. Anything with foam or triple flange should do the trick.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

priznat posted:

Hey all, I have a set of Shure SRH440s that I want to replace the earcups on. I've heard getting the ones for the 840s work well with the addition of memory foam. Are there any options with a velour/fabric cover instead of the pleather? I find it gets a little steamy. Although I'd probably sacrifice some of the bass/isolation I'm guessing.

edit: looks like the 940s have velour pads, anyone ever try a set of these on 440s? Guessing no.

I own a pair of Shure 1540's and they have perforated alcantara ear pads with memory foam. I would look into those, they are about as comfortable and cool as you can get.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

eddiewalker posted:

Well, my 5 year old "Alien Ears" dual-driver customs were starting to give me comfort issues. A hard drop shattered one ear, so I guess now I'm fully in the market for a new pair.

I haven't paid attention to the market since I bought my last pair; Where should I be looking? I'd like to move up to at least a triple if I can keep the price reasonable.

AlienEars prices still look good, especially since they're currently running sales and throwing in extra cables. On the other hand, I see lots of poor Alien Ears customer service reviews on HeadFi, and my last pair didn't have the best "fit and finish."

Are there any other competitive small companies or good values? If I'm getting new impressions made, I'd also like to order a pair of molded earplugs, so a company that will do both in one order is a plus.

I would suggest universal iems with custom molded sleeves. I own a pair of heir audio 4.a custom iems and I am selling them to upgrade to shure se846 with custom sensaphonic sleeves. Depending on the sound you like it could be a better way to go and you retain more resale value.

What price point are you looking at? Because there are two driver customs which sound really good and are priced quite well from jh or 1968ears or noble audio. Noble came out of heir audio, and 1968ears is based in Oregon if you live near there. I have heard bad things about jh and their customer service.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

eddiewalker posted:

My small ears, both in the canal and outer-ear, are the reason I went with customs in the first place. The closest I ever got with universals were little Westone UM1s.

It's been a long time, but from my memory of their fit, I'm worried that with the added bulk of a sleeve, they wouldn't fit flush in my outer ear. I imagine that would be worse with larger multi-driver universals.

I was kind of looking in the $400-500 range, and I'd really be happy with any improvement over the AlienEars duals, which didn't sound jaw-dropping to begin with.

I would suggest either of the earphones below. I almost went with the quads rather than my heir audio 4.a's. I kind of wish I had now, as 1964 tunes their quads to have more low end, which I enjoy.

$499 - https://www.1964ears.com/product/1964-V3-Custom-In-Ear-Monitor
$549 - https://www.1964ears.com/product/1964-Qi-Custom-In-Ear-Monitor

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Giraffe posted:

I'm in the market for two different sets of headphones, hope you guys can help me out.

Awesome IEMs for plane travel:

Budget: $500+
Source: iPhone / iPad
Isolation: As much as possible.
Preferred type of headphone: IEM
Preferred tonal balance: I have no idea, balanced?
Past headphones: Various inexpensive "noise-isolating" IEMs
Preferred music: TV/movies (lots of dialogue), pop/acoustic music

I'm willing to splash out here for a really good set of IEMs that will let me shut out the world on long airplane flights (8+ hours). It would be a bonus if they were comfortable to sleep on, i.e. if my head ends up mashed against the wall or my inflatable pillow. I mostly watch TV/movies, so being able to hear the dialogue without getting my ears murdered by explosions and loud sound effects is a must.

Wired headphones for work:

Budget: <$300
Source: iPhone / iPad
Isolation: No.
Preferred type of headphone: Over ear
Preferred tonal balance: I have no idea, balanced?
Past headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Preferred music: TV/movies (lots of dialogue), pop/acoustic music

I just snapped my Sennheiser 280s by forgetting which set I was wearing (I have some MMElectronics AirFi Bluetooth headphones I sometimes use that have the adjustable band) and trying to tug one of the ear cups down a little lower. I've had these for a long time and have been very happy with the comfort and sound quality. Things I'd like in a new pair:

* Easier to quickly take on and off
* Long cord
* Possible to pause iPhone/iPad with button on the headset? (That may only be a bluetooth thing.)
* Something that doesn't mash my hair quite as badly (this is pretty optional)

I don't know if any of these are possible, but figured I'd ping you guys.

Shure SE 846 IEMs. They cost 1000 dollars but are worth it to my ears. I bought a pair, listening to them now actually. Three filters to vary the sound signature with amazing detailed but rich bass. If you can find a place to listen to them I would. Basically you never need another pair of headphones after them.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Midorka posted:

How long have you had the SE846 and how many cables have you gone through?

About three weeks. It comes with two cables. They are two different lengths. They use the Shure connector so they pop on and off easily. Cables are all fine. You can also buy a cable with a microphone to make calls. You can also get custom molded Sensaphonic molds that the earphones fit into so you get a custom fit with universals. That is where I am headed eventually.

I should also mention that the cables have kevlar in them, and there is a two year warranty on the earphones, if anything breaks on them Shure will replace them. They have amazing customer support. Some people who had the SE513 had their broken pair replaced with SE846s, which are 500 dollars more.

I also own their flagship closed headphones the 1540. They sound absolutely amazing, and are 500 dollars. They have amazing resolution, deep detailed rich bass, and they almost sound like an open headphone, the music does not sound like it is right in your ear. I would highly recommend them for an over the ear. Aircraft grade aluminum, alcantara earpads with memory foam, and carbon fiber on the cups. I have them paired with an audiophile sound card in my PC and they are a dream to listen to.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 18, 2014

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I don't have any headphone questions, just one statement to make.

I received the Fostex TH900s in the mail tonight, and they are the most amazing headphones I have ever heard in my entire life.

I own the Ultrasone Pro900s, Shure 1540s, and Shure SE846s and the Fostex TH900s blow them all out of the water. The detail and impact is amazing, and the bass is really on another level for a TOTL headphone. Better more detailed and impactful bass than the previously mentioned gear.

If you have a chance to listen to or buy them, do it, you won't regret it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Google Butt posted:

So, currently have DT770's being powered by a Magni 2 uber and a Xonar Essence STX DAC. Decided I wanted to try some open headphones and ordered a pair of HD650's a few hours ago. After ordering I came across some posts about the AKG KX77, saw they were live on Massdrop and ordered those too. gently caress. You guys think they'll be different enough to keep both?

AKG are pretty light on bass from my experience with them. The 650's have solid bass and are a warm headphone, you will notice a difference.

If you enjoy both sound signatures, keep both if you can, otherwise just keep the one you enjoy the most.

At a certain price point it's about the sound of the headphone more than anything else as you hit diminishing returns.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying some new cans:

Primary Source: MacBook Pro and/or iPhone 7+

Budget: $200-$450, but can go above if it's worth it

Preferred Size: Over Ear, big and comfy

Current rig: Sennheiser Momentum 1.0

Notes:

I would like to get wireless headphones, noise cancellation is a plus but not required.

I wanted to just get the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless because I love my current headphones and they have great reviews. I held off on impulse purchasing because they were released last year and use Bluetooth 4.0 with aptx. I'm interested in getting Bluetooth 4.2, is there a notable uptick in sound quality between 4.0 -> 4.2? I seem to remember reading somewhere that quality was better due to less lossy compression.

I was looking at the Beoplay H7 wireless ones. They have 4.2, B&O seems generally respected, and they look nice. Style is an important factor for me because I will wear them when traveling and at the office sometimes, and also because I don't like things that look like junk.

I'm wide open to suggestions right now. Thanks and God bless.

The Audeze EL-8 Open or Closed are pretty nice, around $500. Planar headphones that you can run with your phone. Really smooth sound, not a ton of punch, but there is weight behind the music. The closed version that I own blocks sound fairly well at a reasonable volume.

If you want to go higher for $999 the Focal Elear are amazing, I own a pair and I really enjoy the sound. They punch and are very fast. They are also open headphones so you won't be blocking out any sound.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The HD6 are not something I would recommend to anyone at that price.

The Urbanites are good if you want something slightly bassy and rolled off at the top, and built like a tank made out of other tanks. I still think you can do better for an all-around pair.

Honestly, Best Buy Canada looks like a bleak wasteland for decent headphones, but It looks like they have the MSR7, which are genuinely amazing: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...87174d06f02en02

and the m40x, which are nearly as amazing but you'll need to change the pads: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...d6acb5f883fen02

I see zero open backed models I would recommend except the R70x which might be out of your range.

If you are in Canada buy headphones from headphonebar.com They actually have audiophile headphones, even cheaper ~100 pairs for sale. If you aren't local to Vancouver, they ship, and offer free shipping on most thing, well all things that I have ordered from them.

They don't have a few brands like Beyerdynamic or Ultrasone, but they carry most of the rest, and the new hotness for headphones.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ulvir posted:

I want to get some new headphones to use with a phone+spotify for my daily commute, and Sennheiser Momentum has cought my attention some. Should I go for the ones with noise cancelling, or do the regular ones insulate enough that it isn't worth the extra $100?

edit: or would the PCX-550 be a better buy if I want ANC? though they're way more expensive

What is most important to you? The new Sony MDR-1000X headphones are supposed to be better than the bose for noise cancelling. They also have better sound on top of that. They also have bluetooth fore wireless listening.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

secret volcano lair posted:

Even the best headphone is going to sound terrible on a noisy train if the isolation isn't there.

As someone who also commutes to work in similar conditions I would recommend looking into IEMs that isolate well. Once I got used to putting them on, I found the Shure SE215 with comply tips were fantastic at plugging up my ear canals and isolating me with the sound. When I'm specifically on the train I prefer them to headphones that cost 4x as much. ymmv

Shure are great. The best part is that you can get custom molds made for Shure IEMs so that you get an amazing fit and way better isolation. Of course it will cost you more than the SE215 cost to get that done.

I've got the SE846 and they sound amazing for an IEM.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Krakkles posted:

So after months (god, probably almost a year? edit: Yep, first posted here Sept '15) of waffling, I finally realized I travel too much to not have a decent set of headphones, and I sprung for the Oppo PM-3. What's a good amp to pair with these? Most reviews seem to say they benefit greatly from one.

Source of most music will be an iPhone (6S, for now...) and a '15 rMBP. (So, assume 3.5mm / aux input, I guess? Bluetooth AND 3.5 seems like a feature set too far, but if it's out there, I'm curious about it...)

I really like my oppo ha-2. The SE version is for sale now,since they discontinued the original. Great sound, compact, nice features and quality build. It also cam act as a phone charger if needed. If it's around 300USD.

I bet the two would work great together.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

secret volcano lair posted:

Serious question - is there really a point to buying a 250 dollar dac / amp for PM-3s, which are low impedance enough to get good volume straight out of a cell phone?
I don't mind blowing money on nice headphones but I've always been hesitant to drop that kind of cash on an amp. Reviews of products like that tend to be high on vague "audophile" language about airiness or whatever that kind of sets off my BS detector.

Once you hit a certain point, you don't notice much difference. I had a Chord Mojo, $800 and I prefer the Oppo HA-2 which is half the price and has more features and looks nicer/is more portable. I also have Micca Origen+ which while different in sound from the Oppo isn't $300 different, which is the price differential between the two. But they both have different feature sets which make them both worth owning for me.

A good DAC does make a difference, but most of the differences beyond just having a good DAC chip have to do with features and functionality of the unit.

I wouldn't spend anything more than ~400 for a portable dac/amp as long as it has the features I want/need. Bass boost, act as a battery for my phone, has low and high gain and is small enough not to be annoying to travel with.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I almost went for the 6XX but then I realized I have half a dozen headphones already and I don't need another pair of middle of the road headphones.

The price was almost too good to pass up. If I didn't have a pair of Beyerdynamic t5p.2 headphones coming tomorrow I would have gone for them.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I wouldn't call 650's middle of the road, really. I think they're the point at which the price of a headphone stops being about quality and starts being about flavor. There are obviously things that electrostats and high end planars, and even other high end dynamics can do that the 650s don't, but plenty of people with more experience than I have would be quite happy owning nothing more than a pair of 650's and a really good amp as their only setup.

I used to think that until I got some end game headphones. You are right that the $500 price point is about where you start to see diminishing returns. But those returns can be oh so sweet. It is more than just flavour, there is speed and detail added into the mix.

If all you care about is having a single pair of headphones then yeah, you are right. Some people seek out something more and end up with multiples.

I started with the Etymotic ER4P, then bought some Ultrasone 580s. After that It's all been down hill. I've got the Ultrasone Pro 900, Shure 1540, Shure SE846, Fostex TH900, Focal Elear, Stax 1270, Audeze EL-8, and soon the Beyerdynamic t5p.2.

I think I will probably stop soon. I just need to try the higher end Audeze and the Sennheiser HD800. Probably would never buy the HD800 as I don't like bright headphones, but the Audeze LCD-X interests me.

I'd consider selling them all and buying just two headphones, say the Focal Utopia and maybe the LCD-X but I think I would miss having options. Plus spending 4000 dollars on a pair of headphones is kind of crazy.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Krinkle posted:

These Sennheiser momentum are literally wearing a groove into my skull. I'm freaking out by this deep crease i noticed that is right across the middle of my head wondering what did it. That crease wasn't always there. I am wondering what could have put a crease into my head just as I pop the headphones and they gravitationally clunk into place and holy poo poo the headphones did it.

What do I even do? Make some padding for these hard as hell metal band headphones that are deforming my goddamn skull? If I change the ear height at all the headphones fall off onto the floor.

Sell them and buy a pair of headphones with better padding.

Thankfully I don't have any headphones like that.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Depends on the use case. You need an amp to get the most out of the 650's. The 6XX would be better without an amp.

I mean, there are a lot of decent headphone at that price point.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What? The 6xx are exactly the same as the 650s in every way but the paint job. An amp is required for both.

I thought that they were also easier to drive. I guess they changed the cable and colour and that's it.

In that case you can get better headphones that don't need an amp for the cost of the 650 plus amp.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Massdrop is selling the THX00 again, about 30 left before the drop closes. Amazing deal at $399 for anyone who wants amazing tight bass headphones for EDM/Rap or just about anything else.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Doom Rooster posted:

I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD650s from a friend who upgraded, and they are in great shape. Definitely the best headphones I have ever personally owned. There's just one problem. I am using them with my Playstation VR, and even on max volume, they are about 20% too quiet. Is this the perfect use for a small, cheap headphone amp? If so, is there a goon consensus best cheap amp?

Depends on what the usage is. With that headset you can't chat on PS4 so something like the astro mixamp isn't worth purchasing.

I am not sure that there are any amp/dac combos that would work well with a PS4. You would need to do audio out, not usb out from the PS4 to the dac. Most of the USB dacs require drivers to be installed, which wouldn't work on PS4.

You would basically have to go optical out, to an optical in on the amp/dac. So you need one with optical in. most cheap, sub $200 dac/amps don't have optical in.

So what are you willing to pay for better sound?

You could do a Schiit stack for $200 USD. Might be a bit more for the dac as it doesn't look like optical in comes with the base dac. You have to upgrade to a higher version. Read the details on the page to find out.

http://schiit.com/products/magni-2
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

that would give you optical in with a separate dac/amp. You can then upgrade either if you so desire in the future.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 28, 2016

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ilifinicus posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a sound source to use with a PC? My 8 year old DAC with XLR outputs and all that good poo poo that ran over USB died this morning. Preferably an external source over USB or something, my mobo's internal audio has the most screechy background noise in it.

I just bought a Schiit Jotunheim amp with the dac card installed on it. The card is USB, it has basically everything you could need, including a balanced output for headphones if you want to get a cable. You can upgrade to another external dac in the future and just use it as an amazing amp in the future as well if you so desire.

It takes one of those odd USB connections though. I had a spare cable lying around from several years ago so I didn't need to buy a new one, but it doesn't come with a USB cable.

I should also mention that it's the kind of amp that would sell for $1000 dollars normally, and it's $399 for just the amp, the DAC is an additional $150 to the price. But they also have a return policy if you don't like what you get.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 4, 2016

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Lowness 72 posted:

Hey guys - I finally went out and got a my first DAC/AMP stack - The Magni 2 Uber / Modi 2 Uber. The music clearly sounds better but I've got an issue. The right channel is definitely louder than the left. I read about channel imbalance being an issue at low volume but it's an issue all the way around the pot. Is this common? Think the amp needs to be sent back?

Do you have any other headphones to try it with? Maybe something isn't plugged in correctly? You probably already looked at/did those things.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

landgrabber posted:

waiting for my hd6xx's

I feel the same way about the campfire cascades I ordered. Can't come soon enough.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
The Sony's are supposed to be just as good with noise cancellation but have better sound. Not sure of the wind factor though.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
If you have the money I would advise checking out the Audeze LCD-XC. Listening to any music is a joy with them, but electronic music is taken to another level. They have a discounted version at the moment that doesn't come with the case. It also has a much better headband. Just bought a pair, it was worth the money.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Lube banjo posted:

At least give time for buyer's remorse to set in. $1300 could be spent on a lot of different things...

It's a hobby for me. I have several headphones more expensive than this one.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Bodyholes posted:

As far as high-end closed back headphones go, I vastly preferred the ZMF Eikon to the LCD-XC.

Maybe your mileage will vary though.

It really depends on what frequencies your brain enjoys more. Which is why it is so great that there are a ton of choices out there.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Bodyholes posted:

And they're trying to normalize >$3000 now and make $1000 the new 'mid-fi'. At the top end audio equipment tends to function like veblen goods.

I refuse to spend more than $1000 on any single component of my system. I haven't heard anything that sounded like it was worth that much, but I guess I'm not the target audience.

$1500 is about my limit for a headphone. Anything over that isn't worth any minor improvements in sound. You can still tell the difference between $500 and $1000 dollars, at least to my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Sextro posted:

I've some beats x for on the go and an older set of Steel Series (200s?)_headphones for use at home, but I've been starting to be curious about getting into higher quality sound. I'm pretty happy with both and never notice any really glaring flaws with either other than the nagging itch of "but what if I am missing out on something".

What sorta price would I be looking at to definitely wow me? Are the Zero Audio Tenore's everyone went insane for last year going to do it? Or am I already at the foot of the mountain of diminishing returns. General listening habits tend towards the edm/trance/house/synthy stuff but with frequent binges on indie everything and the occasional alt rock nostalgia trip.

Any formfactor is acceptable. Just looking for something to stick my toes in and confirm if this is a niche I want to dive into or not.

The $500 range will start to blow your mind, while $1000 is basically where diminishing returns hits and it comes down to your sound signature. I'm big into edm music but most my stuff is probably well over your price range. I just got the campfire audio cascade headphones which are really good for edm but they retail for $700-$800 USD.

I would say if you can find some massdrop versions of popular/more expensive audiophile headphones that's a good place to start. Fostex THX/THR-X00 or sennheiser 6xx are good examples. You can find the fostex for sale used even cheaper. They are going to be in the $350 range and they sound really good. The fostex have more slam to them but it's detailed. I own a pair myself, plus their bigger brother the TH900.