Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How are the HD598s for bass? I've been using my AD700s more for music and less for positional audio lately and wishing I had something with a bit more kick. I would still be gaming too but I'm playing less counter strike and more rocket league or civ with music on these days.

Edit: alternately, maybe I can figure out a way to push more bass through the AD700s, I do love wearing them.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

B&O H3 ANC are £109 on Amazon at the moment. Should I pull the trigger?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

prom candy posted:

How are the HD598s for bass? I've been using my AD700s more for music and less for positional audio lately and wishing I had something with a bit more kick. I would still be gaming too but I'm playing less counter strike and more rocket league or civ with music on these days.

Edit: alternately, maybe I can figure out a way to push more bass through the AD700s, I do love wearing them.

I use mine daily, but I only have my ATH M40X cans to compare it to. The bass is healthy, but if you really want it to thump, the open back and unsealed nature of the headphones keeps them from being as robust as something that has lots of isolation. The bass isn't weak for sure, but it's not the most bass.

I don't have any complaints, though. They're incredibly comfortable and sound fantastic. I got them on a random amazon deal for $50, and even at twice the price I wouldn't have any trouble recommending them. At $150, though, I might try holding out for the $200 HD 6XX cans on massdrop.

TL;DR everything sounds fantastic on them - podcasts and every song I've given a shot in a very wide gamut and can't recommend them enough unless you're traveling or will be using them in a situation where other folks won't want to hear your music.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
These would definitely just be my at home desk headphones. I don't want much isolation for these because then I can't hear if my wife is trying to talk to me or if someone is at the door or whatever.

I just tweaked some settings with my AD700s and got them sounding a bit better, I've been running them out of a FastTrackPro lately which I think made them sound really flat, so I plugged them back into the Xonar DG and boosted the power a bit. I might upgrade to those Massdrop HD 6xx's like you said if they do another run.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

prom candy posted:

It's sliiiiightly better, I wouldn't buy them if you're needing something with more kick though. AKG K7XX are kind of like AD700's with more bass, so maybe go for those.

Alternatively, maybe get a DAC+amp that has bass boost like some Fiio offerings.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Wanted to report back on the B&O H7s that I got a month ago. They're really nice. Sounds really good over Bluetooth and very comfortable. My comparison is with the Sennheiser Momentum 1.0s (wired) and they're on par even over BT. The companion app that allows for audio customization is really slick too and useful for changing the equalizer settings without having to get too technical. Very handy for changing to a cooler sound when relaxing (stoned) in bed or more bassy and punchy when I'm in the zone at work.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Is this where I ask about headsets or is there another thread for that?

Looking for a durable headset in the 20-60 dollar price range. Preferably wired. USB or 3.5mm. I'm gifting them to my dad so he can use them for teleconferences on his computer for work.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 23, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lowness 72 posted:

They'll be 99 for black Friday on amazon

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Depths posted:

Holy piss. people werent kidding about the hd650 clamp. These headphones squeezing my noggin like my whore ex wife squeezed my balls.
Is that figurative or literal ball squeezing? If the latter, have her give me a call. :smug:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Lowness 72 posted:

They'll be 99 for black Friday on amazon

Where is the deal listed>

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Wow, I'm dumb. I thought this was the 3DS thread. Nevermind!

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 21, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I got a really deep discount on the Beats Solo 3 Wireless from a family member's employee discount at Apple. They don't sound anything like the Beats in-ears I had way back in 2008. Those things were dreadful, with awful swampy bass that overwhelmed the rest of the mix. (I returned them after a couple of days) The Solo 3s feel restrained in comparison to those dreadful things. They still accentuate the bass, but not nearly as much. I actually like how they sound, and probably won't return them. There is NO way that they're worth full price, though. Without the discount, they would have been £250. I got them for £140.

The pairing process you get with Apple's W1 chip is cool. I just switched it on, moved it close to my iPhone, and a big box popped up asking if I wanted to pair it. It then also automatically paired with my other iOS devices (watch and iPad) so I can toggle between those as sources really easily. Much better than my Jabra Move Wireless headphones, which I kept having to re-pair. Also, the 40 hours of battery life is pretty crazy, not to mention the 100-foot effective transmission radius. I hope Apple licenses this new Bluetooth tech out to other headphone manufacturers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hope the beatsx earbuds show up soon as they're the W1 based earphones I am most interested in. Wonder why there has been a delay between the powerbeats and them.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

These Sennheiser momentum are literally wearing a groove into my skull. I'm freaking out by this deep crease i noticed that is right across the middle of my head wondering what did it. That crease wasn't always there. I am wondering what could have put a crease into my head just as I pop the headphones and they gravitationally clunk into place and holy poo poo the headphones did it.

What do I even do? Make some padding for these hard as hell metal band headphones that are deforming my goddamn skull? If I change the ear height at all the headphones fall off onto the floor.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Reviews for the bragi headphones seem good

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Krinkle posted:

These Sennheiser momentum are literally wearing a groove into my skull. I'm freaking out by this deep crease i noticed that is right across the middle of my head wondering what did it. That crease wasn't always there. I am wondering what could have put a crease into my head just as I pop the headphones and they gravitationally clunk into place and holy poo poo the headphones did it.

What do I even do? Make some padding for these hard as hell metal band headphones that are deforming my goddamn skull? If I change the ear height at all the headphones fall off onto the floor.

Sell them and buy a pair of headphones with better padding.

Thankfully I don't have any headphones like that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Hamelekim posted:

Sell them and buy a pair of 650's

ftfy

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Depends on the use case. You need an amp to get the most out of the 650's. The 6XX would be better without an amp.

I mean, there are a lot of decent headphone at that price point.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Okay then.

Two of my friends recommended these headsets, they both use them and are happy with them.

CAD U2 USB Stereo Headphone with Mic
Razer Kraken USB Over Ear

Unless anyone has any suggestions, I'm just going to flip a coin.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Any good black Friday headphone deals coming up? Not that I need anymore headphones but a deals a deal!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

MarcusSA posted:

Any good black Friday headphone deals coming up? Not that I need anymore headphones but a deals a deal!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jaybird-x3-wireless-in-ear-headphones-blackout/5642500.p?skuId=5642500

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hamelekim posted:

Depends on the use case. You need an amp to get the most out of the 650's. The 6XX would be better without an amp.

I mean, there are a lot of decent headphone at that price point.

What? The 6xx are exactly the same as the 650s in every way but the paint job. An amp is required for both.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

shrike82 posted:

Reviews for the bragi headphones seem good

No, they don't.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/18/11261586/bragi-dash-review-wireless-bluetooth-earbuds
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/04/29/the-dash-by-bragi-review-the-ohs-awes-and-woes-of-true-wireless-earbuds/
http://www.wareable.com/hearables/bragi-dash-review

$250 for 2 hours of battery life, weird fit and extremely sub-par bluetooth range sounds like a really bad deal.

edit: I totally missed they have a new product out, nevermind! Looks like it's still in early adopter territory but at least they seem to work!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/22/13714268/bragi-headphone-wireless-earbuds-review-bluetooth-dash

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 24, 2016

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What? The 6xx are exactly the same as the 650s in every way but the paint job. An amp is required for both.

I thought that they were also easier to drive. I guess they changed the cable and colour and that's it.

In that case you can get better headphones that don't need an amp for the cost of the 650 plus amp.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

5.5 on Verge is half a step up from "blows up in your ears"

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

MarcusSA posted:

Senn HD 598 for $99 on Amazon I think.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

goodness posted:

Senn HD 598 for $99 on Amazon I think.

That'd be good but it looks 149 to me, still. I can't tell if I'm still looking at black friday deals after I clicked so many links to find it, though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They've dropped to 99 the last few years so I think we're just expecting the same come tomorrow and the weekend.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Krinkle posted:

That'd be good but it looks 149 to me, still. I can't tell if I'm still looking at black friday deals after I clicked so many links to find it, though.

I saw an ad that said it would drop Thursday night or Friday

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I've got a new job! But in the open plan office my desk is next to the door, so it's constantly opening and slamming shut, and people love leaning over from behind my monitor to say hi. So I want some noise-reducing headphones that go over my ears so I can comfortably wear them all day if necessary and make it obvious that I'm busy. My in-ear earbuds work ok for blocking outside noise, but they make some weird constant crackling noise when plugged into the PC, and they're not obvious when I'm using them so I've had people come over and start talking to me without realising I can't hear them.

There aren't a ton of Black Friday sales in Australia, but some places are starting to join in.

Budget - low to moderate. Maybe $150AUD max? Prefer cheaper if possible.
Source - desktop PC, potentially iPhone, MacBook Air, laptop
Isolation Requirements - Yes, definitely.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Prefer over-ear. Needs to be comfortable when wearing glasses.
Preferred Tonal Balance - no idea. Balanced I guess?
Past Headphones - I've never bought nice headphones, and have mostly used in-ear earbuds with my phone, and some Logitech over-ear gaming headphones with my PC.
Preferred Music - classical lately, as I've got access to the Conservatorium music library. Basic pop, Janelle Monae, Marina and the Diamonds, etc. Would also be used for listening to educational videos and webinars etc.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 25, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Senn HD 598s expected to go on sale at 2am eastern

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are they much of a jump over 518s? I didn't really plan on picking up another pair of cans until the 6XXs come back up on Massdrop.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any opinions on the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs? They're currently $99 on amazon. Get those or wait for the HD 598 SE to hit $99 again?

http://a.co/b1BO89I

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I destroyed the cord on a pair of beyerdynamic Dt 235 and I loved these things and feel dumb. Is there anyway to find a comparable replacement for 50 or under one are they worth repairing? Thanks

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

goodness posted:

Senn HD 598s expected to go on sale at 2am eastern

I was watching for the HD 598 to go on sale but the 895c did instead. I didn't see the old price on the headphones that actually are on sale but I'm assuming it wasn't literally three hundred dollars. Do you think the first pair has a chance of a discount by monday?

Also, that padding looks thin on the Cs. Are they more comfortable than the momentums?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I was watching for the HD 598 to go on sale but the 895c did instead. I didn't see the old price on the headphones that actually are on sale but I'm assuming it wasn't literally three hundred dollars. Do you think the first pair has a chance of a discount by monday?

Also, that padding looks thin on the Cs. Are they more comfortable than the momentums?

Im hoping the open 598 go on sale as well, people say they are more comfortable.

I got the 598C just in case but I'll probably end up returning it. Are there any better options at $100ish currently?

I heard a little about momentums but I was trying to move away from combo mic+headphone

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The 598Cs just seems like a closed version of the 598. It also has a lower Ohm (28 vs 50) compared to the 598.

I ordered a 598 Cs to go along with my 598 SE. It seems perfect for airplane travel. I'd hold out for the open version though if you only want to use these at home.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Budget - $0-100
Source - bluetooth
Isolation Requirements - ?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbud or over ear hook type ones
Preferred Tonal Balance - ?
Past Headphones - ?
Preferred Music - ?

Looking for some sport type headphones for my wife that have a decent battery life and sound quality. She listens to all types of music and I believe prefers earbuds. These would be used for working out at the gym and need to stay in her ear when she's moving around doing her workouts. I looked at some amazon reviews and there's stuff around the $20 price point which sounds passable but not sure if something in the $50 range is THAT much better or not, so here I am. Any recommendations?

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

plape tickler posted:

Any opinions on the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs? They're currently $99 on amazon. Get those or wait for the HD 598 SE to hit $99 again?

http://a.co/b1BO89I

Goddamn these things are comfortable, even on a giant head. Super closed, the cups almost form suction when I take them off. Not being an audiophile they sound good to me. Decent punchy bass for sure.

Edit - Mic works surprisingly well with ps4

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My teenagers wanted headphones for Christmas so I impulse bought 2 pair of Skullcandy Grind, less than $50 each. Did I gently caress up or do alright? I have a pair of Sennheiser 280 Pro that both of have used and both disliked for whatever reasons teenagers can articulate.