Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

MC Hawking posted:

As a small digression, I am curious if there are any good, inexpensive sound cards for desktop PC's. I've only ever really used onboard. Are they really worth it? Are there USB based ones which are worth it? I'm kinda at a loss and have no idea what the baseline cost of these components would be.

I went with an external audioengine D1, it’s usb based, doesn’t require an external power source and does 24bit/96khz, I’m very happy with it and it was not expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

MC Hawking posted:

$170 isn't expensive :psyduck:

I got mine used for $90. Check USaudiomart, I got mine on the Canadian equivalent and am always finding deals.

(Also lol at the $1k DAC posted above, now that's affordable)

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

insularis posted:

I apologize for nothing. It makes me a lot happier than a 15K Harley would. :)

My first DAC/amp was the $30 Beyerdynamic model. Middle age comes with a few disposable income privileges.

Oh I can't even fault you, honest question though, does it sound that much better? I can see paying big money for a power amp or pre-amp or speakers but I've just never heard a DAC that sounded $1k better than a $200 one. I've never heard the one you posted though.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

insularis posted:

Definitely diminishing returns, for sure. But, it lets me use any source I want without doing EQ/crossfeed/balance/loudness through software (or going without), and yeah, it's drat apparent on 300 ohm headphones like the Sennheiser 6xx or 250 ohm Beyerdynamic 770 next to the Beyerdynamic DAC/amp, and better than the Objective ODAC.

Hard to quantify, of course, but yeah, I found it worthwhile (or it definitely would have been returned). I'd been researching a new DAC/amp stack for over a year, and this was the first one that really ticked every box.

I particularly like that it's mid-pro engineered audio gear for pros, not consumer. Very little woo factor, everything is measurable.

Fair enough, and I suppose headphone applications would make it more obvious if something was a little "off". The majority of my listening is on bookshelves and a good mix of CD, vinyl, tapes and about half coming out of the little DAC so getting EQ stuff right is always a challenge. I tend to just leave everything flat these days. Almost all of my gear is older NAD stuff so I can get behind the lack of woo factor.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Ryuga Death posted:

Does anyone here have any experience or comment on Bose SoundSport wireless?

I’ve got the wired ones, they sound ok but mostly I got them because they don’t fatigue my ears at all, super comfortable for long periods of time.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BurritoJustice posted:

How important is the "schiit DACs are garbage" thing for regular use.

It’s not that they’re poo poo for regular use, they’re fine for regular use. They’re just expensive for regular use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Sextro posted:

Tell me about burn in. I'm 99% sure it isn't actually a thing, but is it egregious enough of a thing to be wrong about that I should discount all of anyone's opinion who espouses belief in it?

Burn in is generally touted by people that know science-y words but do not hold science-y degrees.