Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Man, just missed it.

Guess I'll get in when you do a public build. My feedback for sproggiwood was so generic that i feel bad about it in retrospect, next time i will find something helpful to submit/report.

edit:

Pladdicus posted:

Hey Dungeonmans, found a secret warning when I entered a room, what do I do!? THERE'S NO SEARCH BUTTOOONN

Walk into the wall that you think is secret, if you have high enough stat (science?) it will just show you where it is.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Hey Dungeonmans, found a secret warning when I entered a room, what do I do!? THERE'S NO SEARCH BUTTOOONN

Edit: Found it by bumping into a wall, thanks : )

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 14, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

Ok, I'll post a fix for this in a few minutes.

Log

Unlike last time there's no obvious smoking gun in the logs.

E: also, I can't actually launch it from Steam! I get "Cannot start game: missing executable". I've just been running it from the command line until now and didn't notice.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 14, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Log

E: also, I can't actually launch it from Steam! I get "Cannot start game: missing executable". I've just been running it from the command line until now and didn't notice.

I get this same screen now in OS X when launching from Steam, nothing interesting in the log.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Gutted. And I like acii RLs on linux too, ugh.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I get this same screen now in OS X when launching from Steam, nothing interesting in the log.

Ok, looks like I had no default scene selected, I'll post another one in a few...

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
sob, first dungeonmans death, level 6 :(

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Log

Ok blue screen should be fixed. What platform are you on? OSX or Linux? 32 or 64 bit?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

Ok blue screen should be fixed. What platform are you on? OSX or Linux? 32 or 64 bit?

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, amd64. I'm running CoQ.86_64 from the command line because Steam defaults to 32-bit and doesn't let you choose the 64-bit version.

Blue screen is indeed fixed, let's try rolling a character!

E: it's alive!

E: OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING

E: Ok, there seems to an issue where killed enemies don't always change into %, but instead continue to look like their normal letter until you step on them. I can't seem to reliably repro, though.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 14, 2014

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, amd64. I'm running CoQ.86_64 from the command line because Steam defaults to 32-bit and doesn't let you choose the 64-bit version.

Blue screen is indeed fixed, let's try rolling a character!

E: it's alive!

E: OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING

E: Ok, there seems to an issue where killed enemies don't always change into %, but instead continue to look like their normal letter until you step on them. I can't seem to reliably repro, though.

IT LIVES :chanpop:

E: yeah I've got a bug somewhere where individual tiles arent updating their render state correctly. Broke something optimizing it. Basic coq was just rerendering everything every frame from scratch.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 14, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I hereby make a binding resolution to buy one (1) copy of the game whenever it comes to the God-approved platform of Steam.

P.S.: I'd buy more but it seems like my friends aren't hardcore enough :(

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'll buy 2 if it's out by Christmas :whip:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unormal posted:

FYI, Sproggiwood's on sale for $9.99 on Humble for 24 hours: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/sproggiwood_storefront

Here's some Steam keys for something that's not Sproggiwood. This may or may not be particularly interesting to people who want to help test CoQ on Mac & Linux:
0̶T̶T̶G̶H̶-̶B̶M̶4̶J̶F̶-̶J̶2̶R̶5̶D̶
M̶3̶W̶B̶K̶-̶4̶0̶V̶Q̶H̶-̶F̶K̶J̶2̶0̶
TQRQW-A8IIF-CF6LP
XAFQ9-80LZT-C4FHI
ABTHQ-LL3RG-FCIA3

e: Just know that it's still in a very raw state, so expect issues.

I almost took, but I'm PC only.

Q_Q

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
as a paid CoQ registered supporter i would like a key for mac playtesting.

please?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Something has gone horribly wrong with CoQ.

I rolled a new character, and set about exploring Joppa. Then I accidentally hit a key and ended up in a "waiting..." state -- I think it must have been ".", wait 20. I hit Esc to check the keybindings and ended up in a situation where I had the escape menu showing over the keybinds screen with no way of getting back into the game -- pressing escape again did nothing. So I opted to save and quit.

I immediately loaded my game and now I'm 1N2E of Joppa, on the world map, with a message log indicating that I've been eating food cubes (and am "bloated and quenched"). I tried leaving the world map and it said "building zone..." and then hung, except that I can still use escape.

I saved and quit again and saved the save file and logs. I then loaded the game again and it appeared to hang, but after pressing spacebar again it dropped me into some wilderness area. It doesn't respond to any input except escape, though.

I'm not sure if it's genuinely not responding to input, or if it's just not redrawing the screen properly.

E: after a bit of experimentation it looks like it is still working, it's just not updating the screen. Presumably if I flailing around long enough I could get it to kill me.

E2: also the save file is 75MB but compresses down to 5MB using bzip2, you might want to at least add an option for compressed save games -- at that size the amount of time it takes to save/load is probably dominated by disk IO

E3: typo: using deploy turret says "you have no misslie weapons to deploy"

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 15, 2014

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
ASCII isn't about being hardcore, it's about having an imagination. :colbert:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Kanfy posted:

ASCII isn't about being hardcore, it's about having an imagination. :colbert:

I always thought it was about saving money on art assets :shrug:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

That's because it is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Originally it was about saving resources, period, because Rogue ran on computers that were slightly more powerful than an abacus, but now it's a tradition. The fact that it lets you have a bazillion different things in your game without actually having to draw any of them is a very pleasant bonus though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Originally it was about saving resources, period, because Rogue ran on computers that were slightly more powerful than an abacus, but now it's a tradition. The fact that it lets you have a bazillion different things in your game without actually having to draw any of them is a very pleasant bonus though.

Well no, that wasn't about saving resources. Rogue was built for systems that did not have arbitrary graphics support and required access over text terminals. Even if they'd wanted to do it tiled up, it couldn't work at all. Same deal went with most of the early roguelikes, even when they were solely programmed for computers that could have graphics capability, it'd often mean having to work with effectively much less screen if you went to a graphics mode and half your potential users couldn't access it anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Creativity borne of system limitations is my favorite kind.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I had a promising four-armed carapace melee monster going -- "promising" here means "survived half of the first level of Red Hills" -- but now it hangs every time I try to load the game. save file and log.

Unormal, would you rather have further bug reports here or via email? Or do you have a bugtracker I can use?

Also, suggestion: if the game gets some sort of uncaught exception, it should exit with an error message rather than logging the exception and then hanging.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

I saved and quit again and saved the save file and logs. I then loaded the game again and it appeared to hang, but after pressing spacebar again it dropped me into some wilderness area. It doesn't respond to any input except escape, though.

E: after a bit of experimentation it looks like it is still working, it's just not updating the screen. Presumably if I flailing around long enough I could get it to kill me.

E2: also the save file is 75MB but compresses down to 5MB using bzip2, you might want to at least add an option for compressed save games -- at that size the amount of time it takes to save/load is probably dominated by disk IO

E3: typo: using deploy turret says "you have no misslie weapons to deploy"

Thanks the feedback is perfect, and all the save files are super helpful. We don't have a public bug tracker, but feel free to do as your doing, or e-mail me at unormal@gmail.com or tweet me. I'm pretty ambivalent, I usually just enter it instantly into a bug tracker anyway. I'll take a shot at these bugs tonight after work.

I'll address a couple specific points:

quote:

I'm not sure if it's genuinely not responding to input, or if it's just not redrawing the screen properly.

I fixed a few bugs last night dealing with screen refresh.

quote:

.NET CoQ actually did compress it, the library I was using is just broke under Unity's mono package and I haven't replaced it yet. On the list.

quote:

Also, suggestion: if the game gets some sort of uncaught exception, it should exit with an error message rather than logging the exception and then hanging.
Hah yeah. I actually implemented this by hoisting the whole Caves of Qud game into a separate thread and running the console/keyboard emulator in the main unity thread. So right now an exception in the game-play code (which is essentially all of them) just takes down the gameplay thread, but the main Unity thread keeps spinning merrily along none-the-wiser... also on the list to fix.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

Thanks the feedback is perfect, and all the save files are super helpful. We don't have a public bug tracker, but feel free to do as your doing, or e-mail me at unormal@gmail.com or tweet me. I'm pretty ambivalent, I usually just enter it instantly into a bug tracker anyway. I'll take a shot at these bugs tonight after work.

Well, even more feedback: a bunch of the keys referred to in the help, like F to fire ranged weapons, K for tinkering, or P for powers are not bound by defaut; you can bind them but those bindings only take effect for the current save. There should be a way to bind keys for all saves, and keys referred to in the help should be bound by default. (Future work: have the help screen reflect the current key bindings.)

E: and the keybindings screen has no way of unbinding a key

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 15, 2014

Treads
Mar 1, 2003
Hey Unormal, did you see the .NET core announcement?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2014/12/04/introducing-net-core.aspx

I haven't looked at the internals, but it is a subset of the current .NET framework that was open sourced and also works in OSX and Linux. Depending on what functions you use, it may be easier than porting to unity.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Treads posted:

Hey Unormal, did you see the .NET core announcement?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2014/12/04/introducing-net-core.aspx

I haven't looked at the internals, but it is a subset of the current .NET framework that was open sourced and also works in OSX and Linux. Depending on what functions you use, it may be easier than porting to unity.

Yeah, pretty awesome. I wish Unity would move to that instead of Mono. (or at least upgrade Mono, the version they use is ancient and terrible.)

Unity will actually do a lot of the heavy lifting when I start trying to move to tiles, add sounds/music, etc, so the move to Unity isn't just about cross-platform support. I've already got a substantial amount of Unity 2D management code written for Sproggiwood that I'm actually using to do the console, and can use even more extensively when I start mucking around with tile support.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What are some good rogues to put on a Kindle Fire?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Another key-related bug: trading appears to be impossible. + and - do nothing (neither the ones on the main keyboard nor the ones on the number pad). o says "trade completed!", but with no way to add items to the trade that doesn't help much. "?" doesn't do anything, or sometimes moves the cursor up and down.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stelas posted:

That runs Android, right? I would suggest Hoplite and Pixel Dungeon.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I thought it did, but the Google Store tells me to piss off when I go there, so I'm not actually sure.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stelas posted:

I thought it did, but the Google Store tells me to piss off when I go there, so I'm not actually sure.

It runs a custom fork of Android. You might* be able to sideload APKs onto it but I don't think it'll talk to the Google Play Store, just to Amazon's storefront.

* Amazon has a hard-on for DRM on those things, so I would expect some hoop-jumping

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
HyperRogue does some pretty interesting things with the form -- like Hoplite, it's atypical, highly focused on movement/positioning. New 'floors' (areas of a hyperbolic plane, with movement on a polygonal grid of mixed hex- and heptagons) are unlocked by picking up treasure from your current 'floor' -- which also increases the number of enemies hunting you. Clever bit of design -- check it out if that sounds like your sort of thing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Apparently there is a fork called "Shattered Pixel Dungeon" which is free and has more detailed descriptions and tooltips. It's supposed to be a better overall project.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

ToxicFrog posted:

It runs a custom fork of Android. You might* be able to sideload APKs onto it but I don't think it'll talk to the Google Play Store, just to Amazon's storefront.

* Amazon has a hard-on for DRM on those things, so I would expect some hoop-jumping

When I got mine the only hoop was clicking "yes side load pls" in the options, but I don't know anything about the current models

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The mysterious deaths in CoQ continue. Descended to Red Hills 3, got swarmed, retreated back up the stairs, pressed rest-until-healed, "the salthopper hits! You die..."

Is this another incidence of the tiles not refreshing bug, and the salthopper actually followed me up the stairs?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

The mysterious deaths in CoQ continue. Descended to Red Hills 3, got swarmed, retreated back up the stairs, pressed rest-until-healed, "the salthopper hits! You die..."

Is this another incidence of the tiles not refreshing bug, and the salthopper actually followed me up the stairs?

Yeah, monsters can actually path up stairs if they're close enough to make it to you before the zone goes into hibernation. So if you've got something one tile away when you move up, it can actually move underneath you and attack up from below you (weirdly, perhaps, you can attack up and down) the next turn if you don't move off the stairs. So that sounds like at least roughly "working-as-intended".

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Stelas posted:

There's a build of DCSS you can sideload.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ran into a demo for an interesting little roguelite named Bear Hero

Sample gif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

Yeah, monsters can actually path up stairs if they're close enough to make it to you before the zone goes into hibernation. So if you've got something one tile away when you move up, it can actually move underneath you and attack up from below you (weirdly, perhaps, you can attack up and down) the next turn if you don't move off the stairs. So that sounds like at least roughly "working-as-intended".

That's almost certainly what happened, then. Some kind of visual indicator that there's an enemy above/below you on the stairs would be nice.

I also tried to repro the trading keybinds issue with another character and it works now (albeit only with the numpad keys), so either I was really out of it and using the wrong buttons last time I tried or it's intermittent.