Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cross posting from the Android thread, it seems more appropriate here - in Pixel Dungeons I was wondering about a good armour strategy for rogues... like should I just stick with cloth armour, or use all my upgrade scrolls on plate armour or something, or ignore the dodge bonus and just use armour like the other classes?

It's a pretty hard class to use and I haven't been able to hit on a strategy yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

One of my main issues with Rogue Legacy and how it handles things is that it's really full of 'artificial' difficulty compared to actual roguelikes. A lot of the classes are just hilariously ineffective at being useful and sometimes you can walk into a room and automatically get hit because due to the way poo poo spawned there's no way to avoid it. Binding of Isaac has the same issue occasionally, but that game actually gives out more health so it's not much of an issue unless you're going for an achievement for not getting hurt in a certain area. It would help if the Rogue Legacy devs would balance poo poo a tiny bit more in favor of the player and make a few more classes worth half a drat, but I'm not really holding my breath. In the meanwhile it's still pretty much a grind-a-thon, something that good/actual roguelikes do away with if they get the chance.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. :(

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

They didn't. :saddowns: But they did say they'll be doing their best to add everything to the game, if possible.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Okay, so I have a tech question about Brogue, the tile version from this site - http://oryxdesignlab.com/brogue-tiles/

Thing is, it seems only willing to run in a window, and that window is bigger than my drat screen. I can only see like two-thirds of it at any given time. There's no menu option in-game to change the res and I couldn't find any obvious files in the folder that might let me change it. Is there some kind of Windows-related magic that lets me change the res of a specific program?

Also I've been looking at the mechanics of it (not been able to play the game yet) and Pixel Dungeons on Android seems heavily based on Brogue. It's super cute and free and in constant development so you should check it out if you want.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

My friend ended up with a Risk of Rain char so powerful that when he hit the boss, he dealt so much damage the game crashed

e.

quote:

In my last game, I became an unkillable horrifying murder god thanks to the insane combination of powers I got... to the extent that the game crashed when I was fighting the last boss, because I think I did too much damage from too many sources too quickly.

For instance: I gain health when I hit things. I gain health when I kill things. When I take damage 5 times, all damage I take is reflected for the next four seconds. I have five murderbots floating around my head that shoot anything that comes near, and once every 45 seconds, I can summon another 6. If I fall to low health, time stops for a few seconds. When I kill things, it sets the ground on fire. My attacks have a chance to arc out lightning that hits everything nearby. Killing enemies makes them explode. I'm more resistant to damage. Hitting enemies has a chance of also firing a missile at them. Hitting enemies has a chance of firing a mortar. My base health regeneration is increased. My... you know what? I was just an unkillable horrifying murder god. That pretty much sums it up. It's sort of Binding of Isaac in that sense - you continually get items that give you insane boosts, only there are tonnes of them on each level. It's just that you don't necessarily have the time/money to get most of them, and spending time to get them just makes the rest of the game that much harder.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 3, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

Anyone playing the early access action-roguelike Nuclear Throne?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/242680

It is pretty fun and the devs stream some of their development during the week so the players get a lot of input into what goes into the game. It is early access though, although the most recent update added a fair bit including a katana wielding chicken mutant.

gently caress I've already spent too much money on games the last month

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Pixel Dungeon (developer blog)
Cost: FREE

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: Pixel art with 3D effects
Platform: Android only

Forks: No

Pixel Dungeons is an adorable but brutal game by developer Watabou. It started out heavily based on Brogue, the game being largely balanced around enchantment scrolls, potions of strength, and a hunger mechanic, but has quickly gained a direction all its own. While PD is constantly being developed with frequent update releases, it currently features four classes (with branching class changes) with their own unique equipment and perks, puzzle rooms, bosses, alchemy, and quest NPCs. You can also find the bodies of your previous adventurer and fight its ghost for a random item you had when you died. And because the developer is doing it soley for fun, it's entirely free with no IAP, no ads.

It's extremely easy to play with intuitive touchscreen controls and a few menu buttons, but deceptively difficult in a way that's entirely fair. When you die, over and over again, it will always usually be your own fault. Threw a fire potion at an enemy while standing in a grass field? Dead. Tried to rob a grave without charges in your wands? Dead. Ate meat without cooking it and got paralysed while a lone rat slowly chomped away at you as you looked on helplessly? Dead. Of course, you can also fall victim to the everpresent roguelike randomisation, and if you don't find decent equipment early on, you are also very dead. But you can lose hours to Pixel Dungeons repeatedly thinking "Just one more game".

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 6, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

uPen posted:

Pixel dungeon is a lot of fun. If you're looking for another android roguelike/puzzler you should check out Hoplite.

Awesome, will do.

AnonSpore posted:

I don't think "opened a door on floor 3 after finding nothing wearable in the first two floors, two crabs wake up, and they chase you down and kill you and there's nothing you can do about it" qualifies as "entirely fair" but besides that that's a pretty good description. Despite being incredibly infuriating it's also really addictive.

Haha, true. Amended the description.

..btt posted:

Can you explain how to get a character started (in pixel dungeon)? I asked in here before but no-one answered. I've tried all the classes, but never seem to find anything useful in the first few floors and quickly die to attrition.

I'll try! There have been a lot of posts about this but I can't be hosed searching the thread to find them, so I'll just make this one off the top of my head:

1. Warrior is easiest, and the least complicated. Find good armour and weapons, and smash monsters. Use wands for long range attacks if needed. Also you start with high enough STR to equip leather armour as soon as you find it, which is nice.

2. Don't equip any weapon that's too high for you, your lowered ACC will render it useless. Either use a Strength Potion (gives you 1 STR permanantly) or lower the weapon requirement with a Scroll of Enchantment. Use your first S of E on your short sword... it'll make the first level a bit easier, and you can reuse the short sword afterward to 'reforge' another weapon (works the same way as using a S of E)

3. Equipping armour that's too high for you will slow your movement right the gently caress down, but if you are standing still it's not a problem. When facing a tough enemy, equip your strongest armour in advance (takes two turns I think?). Remember to take it off after so your slow rear end doesn't starve.

4. ID all your potions by drinking them on the first two floors (before crabs appear) because at least one of them will always be a Strength Potion. Make sure you're standing next to water (in case it's fire) and next to a door (in case it's poison gas).

5. Save dewdrops for when you're low on health... sounds like a no-brainer, but it can be hard to resist the automatic roguelike urge to pick up everything you see straight away.

6. There is always at least one food on each level. With that said, starving is not a big deal so long as you have ways to heal. Just remember that you will no longer auto-regen if you get into a fight. :ohdear:

7. There are no secret doors on level 1.

8. Seeds are your friends. Planting and standing on the green ones will continue to regenerate health until you either reach full health or step off the square. The brown ones will make you almost immune to damage for a while, so they're awesome too. Don't forget about them!

9. You can throw non-breakable objects to set off traps.

10. Often there are puzzle rooms, but their solution will always be somewhere on the same floor. Throw Potions of Liquid Flame to burn down a wood fence. Drink Potions of Invisibility to get through piranhas (do not even try to fight them). Potions of Levitation will get you over rooms full of traps. This is also a good way to get potions ID'd early.

11. You can use the [?] to look at statues to check whether their weapon is something you want, or if they'll easily kill you with it.

12. Don't disturb graves or bones unless you have an offensive wand. Wraiths have only 1hp but crazy dodge so it's almost impossible to hit them with a physical attack. Wands will gently caress them up in one hit though.

13. Dropping any 3 seeds into an alchemy pot will turn it into a random potion. Dropping a potion into the pot will change it into another random potion.

14. If you make it to level 3, watch out for those loving crabs. They move 2 squares every turn and they hit HARD. The good thing about them is that they drop Mystery Meat food, and I sometimes farm them if I'm feeling hardy enough or have a good wand. The Mystery Meat will often hit you with a random status through, so it's best to cook it (toss it in fire or onto a fire trap).

Corridor fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 6, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I did not know this :o:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

andrew smash posted:

In response to

I just wanted to note that I sort of disagree about thrown weapons. You start with a stack of darts and you should absolutely use them. Don't bother with them on rats as rats die really easily but for stronger enemies on the first couple of levels, the extra HP you can shave off with your darts can save you a round of combat with tougher enemies. That can save your life in the short term. By the time you get down a few levels you'll probably have run out of darts and then I think corridor's advice holds true.

Okie doke, amended.

gently caress Rogue Legacy though, that poo poo is way too bullshit hard. Quit after I got sick of dying goldless to crap I couldn't have avoided.

e. all you guys are ruining my chances of getting a game I'm too cheap to buy :argh:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bullllllllshit :v:

There's a bunch of items out there whose purpose is hard to determine. What the hell does this tarot card do? This trinket? How do I get to Heaven? Etc.

That said, all you really need is to keep the Items page open from the BoI wiki and you should be good to go.

Seriously. I've obsessively played BoI probably a thousand times, and I still need to dig out the wiki a lot because there's just too much stuff to remember fully, and lot of obscure poo poo doesn't let you know it's use even after you use it. Trinkets especially, gently caress trinkets.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That game looks pretty fun, I've been halfassedly following it since it was announced

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh sweet, I didn't realise it's on Steam sale.

But I've spent too much on games lately, I dunno whether to get it now or wait to see if it drops further in the Xmas sale :ohdear:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

There's an actual reason why they don't let you go inside buildings, one of the devs wrote an article about it due to all the complaints -
http://www.big-robot.com/2013/07/20/why-cant-i-enter-the-buildings-in-sir/

Also the latest update introduced a ton of new poo poo. The starting classes that give you items/weapons, new enemies, and a small overhaul of stealth and weapons.
http://www.big-robot.com/2013/12/05/iiiiiits-the-december-update/

I decided not to buy or play it until it's completed. Otherwise I'll end up doing what I did with Don't Starve (another pseudo-roguelike) and play it in alpha a bunch of times after each new content update, then get burned out by the time it's properly released.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

For the Roguelite section, I guess.

Don't Starve! (cinematic trailer) (gameplay trailer)

Cost: $20 with new content still being regularly released

Genre: Survival sim with crafting and enslavement
Graphics: Creepy little hand-drawn animated sprites
Platform: PC/Mac/Linux on Steam

Let's Plays:

cKnoor (SomethingAwful VLP)

Forks:

The Screecher Review and trailer - A horror mod entirely separate from the main game (included free with Don't Starve)
Many add-ons and standalone mods in Steam Workshop, all with full developer support

You play as Wilson, a disturbed little scientist who creates something he absolutely shouldn't have and is sucked into a strange hostile land overseen by the demonic Maxwell. You're thrown in completely clueless, and possessing nothing but your crafting knowledge, and so your task at first is simply to stay alive - by collecting berries and trapping rabbits and roasting them over the campfire which is the only way to fend off the hordes of night-time horrors that lurk in darkness - but once you've established the basics, you can start putting together a power base from which to explore and experiment. Wilson can craft many things with the Power of Science, and every rock, tree, and beast on the island (as well as Wilson's own growing beard) can be harvested to create a variety of structures, clothes, weapons, and magical artifacts.

Don't Starve features a hell of a lot of stuff and there really isn't the space here to list them all. If you find the native pig-men you can recruit them as bodyguards with bribes of food (until full moon... :ohdear:), you can experience seasonal changes, you can hop through wormholes to explore new horizons, and you can go totally insane and get beaten to death by your own nightmares (or beat them to a puddle of crafting material, whatever). [e. apparently you can also recruit them in the latest update? jeez] There is a way to return home and 'win' the game, but it's kind of an abstract far-away goal and there're absolutely no hints given on how to achieve this. Many other player characters can also be unlocked such as a pyromaniac, librarian, and robot (just to name a few), all with their own unique perks and personalities, and all of whom (like Wilson) speak in strange little musical chirps as they complain and comment on their surroundings.

It is deceptively easy to die in Don't Starve, and death is permanent (although you can turn this off if you're a wuss). Spending more than a few seconds in darkness is fatal. The mechanics of hunger, health, and sanity are fairly simple, but can get out of hand if you don't take care of all three. Many materials need to be gathered from creatures that object to this, and as you are not the only inhabitant of this world, there are many things quite happy to hunt you. With that said, there are ways to revive yourself, if you can find them...

I think it's also worth mentioning that Klei Entertainment are very cool devs who released a full trailer and high-res poster with each update release, even back in alpha, and it's absolutely worth checking these out by skipping back through their blog (if you don't mind a few mechanic spoilers, of course).

Corridor fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 10, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It's not just roguelikes. I was never sadder than when I realised I just couldn't be loving bothered with the controls and menus of Under A Killing Moon to ever play it again :smith:

But yeah in RLs, especially the ones where there are way too many loving things you can do, it gets annoying faster. I can't even play Powder because of the UI

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It must be nice to be able to play ASCII. My brain absolutely needs visual representations to process most stuff

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Space Bat posted:

Dredmor has a lot of problems. Last time I sat down and tried to play in earnest I just got so bored and frustrated. Crafting is utterly useless because by like floor 6 any weapon you find will do much more damage then anything you could craft. The game is slow and clunky and levels are way too huge. Even on small level mode the levels take too long to clear (not to mention small levels is broken and nearly impossible past a certain point). Even after like 10 hours on one character and playing pretty normally, I still didn't even get close to reaching the half way point. It's mindless and there's no long term goals other than "look for better item" and "kill monsters". In a game like Adom or Crawl I always have an idea of where I want to go next or what I need to prepare to get ready. Do I need to get the ring of high kings? What do I need to prepare to get that item? Stuff like that. Dredmor is directionless (or, I suppose, one direction-down) and feels lifeless and dull once you realize once you've cleared the first three levels all you're going to see is the same things but recolored. Dredmor might have some charm and nice art but I'd say to anyone who's new to RLs to try Crawl.

This is exactly my problem with Dredmor. Once I get to level 5 or so it's just so drat dull that I stop. Every floor is the same.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I thought shiren was too boring and minimalist even with the npcs unlocked :ohdear:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I got One-Way Heroics and got to like 300k as a knight, but I had an awesome sword on me when I died, and now it's not in my inventory so I can't put it in my vault...?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Goo is easy, just kite him to the stairs and go up when he starts charging, or you need to heal/wash.

I've beaten the third boss like, once, with a warrior. Cannot even get to the second boss with a rogue, but feel like I stand a chance with the other two.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 17, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Haha I win "something random" :)

(what does that mean)

e. I ike how the guy who did the most write ups got first anyway, somehow

Corridor fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 17, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It depends, really. I mean, take a game like Knytt Underground. There's tons of secrets in that game, because it's an exploration-based game with a colossal map. And sure, you could follow a guide to find everything, but that's kind of missing the point of playing the game. In other words, secrets can still be in games as a reward for the player who is detail-minded and does some experimentation.

Shame all the characters in that game are so loving ugly I can't stand looking at them long enough to play

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Dunno, post your steam ID.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thoroughly

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Superschaf posted:

Just play the original Knytt, or Knytt Stories. They are still amazingly beautiful games.

I did, and that one where you are a morph ball. I just dunno why they didn't stick with tiny cute kitties over some uglyass MSpaint creeps. Like did the dev's girl/boyfriend design them so he was obliged to put them in, or what? The rest of KU looks fine.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Does anyone have opinions on Delver?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Eldritch is not a very good game imo.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

drat. Well Corridor what don't you like about it? I'll admit, it doesn't do it for me 100%. I've played it a few times, gotten about halfway through the second book, but I've yet to feel a burning desire to push all the way through. It feels a touch repetitive, if I had to label it.

What everyone else said. It feels like an alpha game but it isn't. Enemies respawn instantly but they are poo poo. I wandered around for ages killing everything I ran into with zero effort, just using the knife. I had a pistol but never used it. Had a spell, never used it. Collected a ton of tokens, never used them. Only times I ever lost health were trying to hop over spikes. I felt there was no point to playing. Eventually I ran into a shoggoth or something, and was so bored that I suicided by taking it on melee. Then uninstalled.

Also it looks like rear end.

e. I already have FTL and The Pit on gog or wherever. You're not obliged to give me poo poo though, I just a huge sperg and like writing game reviews.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 21, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Space Bat posted:

Also you hands look like drumsticks and half the time the enemies just kill themselves.

Haha they do, on both counts.

Really frequently I would come across a monster corpse that had wandered into spikes or fallen from something high. Half the time I would hear them and not even bother checking for the body. Monster suicide was part of the ambient noise.

The most frequent enemies I'd find dead on floor spikes were the floating eyeballs. You know, the monsters that can not only fly, but fly anywhere in all directions and altitudes. They would kill themselves by managing to move onto the relatively rare spots that are dangerous on the floor. They did this all the loving time! Like a full two thirds of the eyeballs deaths in that game were unrelated to me.

I didn't get far enough to see the blink angels or whatever, that sounds actually interesting.

e. you don't realise how important idle animations are to immersion until you see a neutral shopkeeper npc standing totally still like a static object.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It is literally an alpha game. One that the devs looked at and went "eh gently caress it that'll do".

Then instead of fixing poo poo and adding actual content and rebalancing, they released a dlc of a bunch more levels.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Today my friend explained to me that the timer in RoR isn't how long until the boss despawns, it how long until the mobs stop spawning. So you can just run away and deal with the mobs then come back for the boss.

I'm like OHHHHHHHHHH OKAY

madjackmcmad posted:

o) a Finely wrapped present

:allears:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

I imagine it'll be more entertaining to barter with Morgoth for his hat-bling if the present is unopened. I genuinely have no idea what the item inside is, I'm sure there's some flavor of comedy down the road waiting for me based on this.

Yeah I haven't played Sil so I have no idea what that means. Sounds funny tho :)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah well he's only literally just adding tiles now, and even then it was only as a stretch goal on the KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Not too many games where you play an rear end kicking shrine maiden, shame Fujo sounds so empty