Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

If you want to have a good time as the wizard, unlock the storm book. It's the reward for the first area in the dwarven campaign. The storm wizard in card quest is hands down the easiest setup in the game. It's all about using chain lightning to start a combo(0 energy cost, 1 arcane, draws a card) then using as many storm pulses (on chain, 0 cost, restores 2 arcane, draws a card) and arcane flows (1 arcane cost, restores 1 energy and draws 2 cards) to cycle constantly. When your energy is full, use lightning charges, when (and only when) your arcane is full use lightning strike on chain. As long as you always discard before hand so you don't waste any draws you don't even have to look at the enemies, just cycle forever. Ideally pair it with a no energy cost defense thing, since the only reason to stop cycling is being out of energy.

The fire and necro wizard builds are a lot of fun too, but they need a lot of unlocks to make it very far. The storm wizard is definitely better with more unlocks, but you don't need them unlike just about every other build in the game.

There is a similar thing with the warrior, where the guardian set is completely safe and you CAN unlock everything with it, but its about million times slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I actually unlocked the necromancer subclass, using the book of the dead and the death ring. It's not too bad, if your max souls is high enough there isn't much risk in using life drain/dark ritual as needed. The homunculus is vital, as it reduces the souls cost of all necro spells by 1, making a lot of stuff free on chain.

The hunter is definitely the worst class without unlocks. Once I got the hand crossbows it felt a lot better, but it took way too long to get there. At the point I am now my worst class is easily the rogue, I have no idea what playing it right is or could be.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I am super into Wizard of Legend right now. It feels really good, though I keep thinking the dash will dodge projectiles and getting hurt. Maybe the default does? The other ones are flashier, but that would be enough to switch back I think. I just started reliably getting past the first boss, which is really speeding up unlocking things. Not sure if the game will be as interesting when there's nothing left to unlock, but right now the loop has got it's hooks in me.

It's worth noting that the 75 gem "special" skills can all also be used as normal skills, and buying it will also unlock the normal version. If you buy the normal version first though, you don't get a discount or anything when you later get the special version, so those gems are wasted :(. I learned that the hard way, but if you can get through a few levels you get enough that it doesn't really matter.

The hourglass item is probably the best starting item till you get good. It makes your spells have zero cool down when you get to a certain health threshold. If you have any fast casting single target spells you can usually nuke a boss down in the five seconds or so it lasts. Thankfully the items don't unlock like in binding of Isaac, you can find items in a run and see what it does before committing gems to it.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Wizard of Legends biggest flaw is absolutely the level design - its not just that its simple, there also seem to be few room types so you end up seeing the same ones over and over. You move through the corridors fast enough that the level generation being simple isn't really a gameplay issue, it just looks blah, but the sameness of the combat arenas is certainly going to be a long term problem. Its also something that theoretically would be pretty easy to add to if they keep working on the game. It seems to be doing well, so heres to hoping.

Kanos posted:

I've been eyeing Wizard of Legend because the combat looks loving good when streamers get into the zone, but my main concern is if the game has long legs or not. Since the dungeon looks to be three areas/three bosses and then done, is there enough meat on that bone to provide a ton of runs?

Its pretty hard, so yea you are going to get a ton of runs out of it. Whether that means its a 20 hour game or a 100 hour game is going to depend on if they add more content, and if you are compelled to try all the spells and enjoy figuring out builds. I don't think the kind of person who just wants to look up the "best" build and keep running that till they win will get all they could out of it. Even then, you would probably get your monies worth.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Apparently this morning there was a patch for Wizard of Legend:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/445980/discussions/0/1696048245843026598/

Its pretty worrying that the first thing they wanted to do was nerf...everything? The game is already hard, I have no idea what they were thinking. Thankfully they have already walked it back: https://steamcommunity.com/app/445980/discussions/0/1696048245844788437/

The two biggest issues with the game as I see it now are:
1. The levels are boring
2. Most of the relics suck poo poo and provide a sub 10% boost to whatever, even the ones that are very specific or have big downsides, and the only way to know what is remotely useful is to test a LOT on the dummies or look at a wiki every time you see an item in a shop.

While its great that patch is being rolled back, the fact that they somehow thought that relics needed to be WORSE is ridiculous and worrying for the future of the game. It really makes it seem like they want items to be practically negligible, which doesn't make sense as it is already a better option 90% of the time to spend your gold on the health potion or upgrading one of your spells. Maybe it is a case of the devs having played their own game so much they have no sense of how hard it actually is.

Semi related, the game would be so much better if every spell had an Into the Breach style window that showed what the spell looked like in action.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Kanos posted:

For reference: I've been putting a bunch of runs into it and I'm hardly a god tier player(two wins in 10 hours of gameplay, give or take, with a couple of failed final boss fights).

The levels are definitely boring. The design focus is definitely on the combat system and it shows.

Relics are actually pretty impactful? Even the shittiest and most bland "add damage to element" relics are +12% damage to that element, which is noticeable given that you're machine gunning a million attacks per second all the time forever. The difference between a loaded out run and a non-loaded out run is extreme. Upgrading arcana is often far less situationally useful than buying a "mediocre" relic, depending on the specific arcana, and you can never guarantee that there will be enhanced versions available for arcana you have or want since there's a grand total of 6 enhanced arcana for sale in an entire run. Health potions are something that you should strive to never buy because they have diminishing returns over a run(each one you drink makes the future ones heal less) and spending money on a health potion deliberately sets you back because you didn't spend that money on a permanent power boost.

Once I started actually succeeding at the game it was because I started to minimize my health potion purchases and play on the edge by forcing myself to buy upgrades and earn my health back if I hosed up; this allowed me to have much more powerful runs because I was spending my money on items instead of health potions, and it meant that I still had fully powered health potions if I needed them to recover before the end.

Fair enough. Ive gotten to the third boss fight, but havent actually won yet, so by no means consider me an expert. As it is now, health potions are absolutely a trap even without knowing each one makes the next less powerful (which I did not) because as you said, that is money not spent on permanent upgrades. As far as the enhanced arcana, it seems to be about a 50% chance to be an upgrade for a spell you already have vs a new one, which I have usually found to be the most cost efficient thing to do to get stronger. Particularly if it is an enhancement for the basic attack.

Relics are absolutely very strong when you have a lot, but that is because most of them are +%damage boosts. Its boring, especially when there are many relics that do unique or interesting things, like the one that makes your basic attack kill projectiles, or have another hit, or the one that makes spells have no cooldown for a few seconds when your health goes critical (or the vamp glasses, rip). The should lean into that. Having all those multiplicative damage boosters means that the more you have, the more each one is worth, so yes if you can get to the end with 10 of them you are going to be in the best position you can be. Its the exact same issue with Enter the Gungeon and the bonus health for beating a boss without getting hit - the difficulty curve breaks if you are good enough. The worst part is, you can only choose one relic to start, which means most of them are never going to be worth starting with (or even spending gems on them) over something with a unique bonus, and buying relics to start with is half of the progression in the game.

Its all very fixable, but nerfing everything instead of bringing the weaker things up to par feels real bad. Also, they should just have the numbers in the description, or at LEAST the patch notes, having to guess makes it all the worse.

To be clear, I really like the game and think it is a lot of fun to play. It could be better is all.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

People were talking about Card Quest here earlier I think, despite it not really being a roguelike, but how the gently caress are you supposed to advance with the Wizard? He has like 0 defensive options. I keep dying in Alley Town because if I miss drawing an Arcane Shield or enough damage to murder things, oops game over.

Fighter's pretty dope as hell, though.

You should try the other paths/scenarios, the wizard with some unlocks can cycle till it kills everything, dont need defense if you never end your turn.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I absolutely got into Roguelikes because of Dungeons of Dredmor, and it will always have a place in my heart because of it. I cant see ever going back to it, but it was enough to get over the hump of figuring out the genre enough to enjoy it, and it deserves whatever credit it can get for that.

But man, gently caress that UI.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm still mystified by the lack of online co-op in Gungeon. What a shame.

Does coop still force you to play as the lovely support wizard, cause if so, who would ever want to join a randos game? Even if the coop in Gungeon was good (hopefully they've made changes in this update!), online multiplayer is a thousand times more work than local, even more so after the fact.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I would love to see a mode where there are no keys, and ammo was abolished except in terms of clip size/reload speed. That would absolutely require re-balancing the current clip size/reload speed of everything, and might even need to be balanced against a cap on the number of weapons held, but the result would be far, far more appealing (to me).

I am coming from a place of not liking Binding of Issac and loving Nuclear Throne. Ironically, BoI didnt have ammo and NT does, but those systems as a whole are so different that its hardly comparable. I just think its a shame, because I do like a lot of aspects of Gungeon. I'm just never going to get into it enough to get to the part where I am good enough for these things to not be issues.

victrix posted:

If you still don't like it after this patch, there's always Synthetik or Nuclear Throne or Isaac :shrug:

Absolutely!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, at this point it's just like, to keep the restaurant analogy, if there was a restaurant called ONIONS, ONIONS, ONIONS, all of their advertisement was about how all of their food is onion based, and still going in and complaining that there are too many onions. When people say stuff like

It's just like... It's not even EtG anymore! It's some completely different game! Just because you dislike the decisions made doesn't mean they're bad decisions, they're just decisions that don't appeal to you, personally! It's like in the onions restaurant they made a really good steak with onions, and someone walked in and hated onions but loved steak and kept complaining about the food because of it. There are a lot of places to get steak, why go to the one that prides itself on its onions, you know?

Pretty sure that is exactly what I was saying? Not the onion thing, I think that one has been dragged through the gutter enough. I am explicitly saying that I want a mode with different decisions made (specific ones even!) because I think I would like it more, not because it would be objectively better or whatever. I don't think Gungeon is a bad game in fact! The thing is, they made a big update with big changes and those changes weren't the ones I was looking for. Oh well.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Mister No posted:

Nothing in gaming will ever beat the sense of accomplishment I got from beating all of the bosses in NT. Especially L'il Hunter.

I got really into YV just so I could very reliably double up on assault slugger shots and kill him within half a second of spawning. It's not that fighting him any other way is particularly hard at this point, I just hate that lil fucker.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Tollymain posted:

the seven yr old in me wants a crossover event between coq and nt

There are two ways that could go, and frankly I would buy either in a heartbeat.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

General Emergency posted:

How does this thread feel about Prey: Mooncrash? Never finished the main game even though I enjoyed it but those mechanics in a roguelikeish thing has me interested.

I feel confidant in saying that Mooncrash is by a huge margin the best thing about Prey. Maybe its just me, but when playing the base game the urge to hoard everything is real strong. In Mooncrash, because of the danger timer and the permadeath and the way you can recycle things to eventually build things that slow the timer, that just isn't a worry once you get into it. The other big thing (for me) is that because save scumming isn't possible, it forced me to actually engage with the combat system instead of trying to min max every encounter by reloading if I took damage or wasted too much ammo/mana.

Its not that roguelikey though. The terrain doesn't change, but some obstacles will, and the items are random. There is a metaprogression that slowly adds more challenging stuff as you complete objectives, with presumably a conclusion (I think I have like one more task to do to see the end, so I dunno ). If you already like or sortof like Prey, by all means jump on it.

For context, I only got like 9 hours into base Prey, and I've spent at least 20 in Mooncrash. It has made me like the entire game more, so I can absolutely see going back now that the systems are a lot more familiar.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

So Ive finally been able to get into Unexplored now that it is on switch. The game itself is great, being able to use a controller is the way I want to play that game, BUT...

It crashes. A lot. I was finally able to complete a run (as in, I died to a huge dragon, finally completing a ton of achievements/unlocks) yesterday by never putting it into sleep mode. Until then every run that didnt end with me dying quickly instead ended with a crash and none of the gold or unlocks saving, which fuckin sucks.

Apparently they are aware of the crashes and are working on a patch but as much as I like Unexplored, do NOT get it on switch til they fix it.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Gamma Guts makes those apes die if you graze them, and it gets a boost from Scarier Face (which I actually think is the best perk because of the number of things it changes from a two shot kill to one)

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Unless they updated it, the ps4 controls for Darkest Dungeon are god awful and make absolutely no sense. You can get used to it and eventually be fine, but they didn't even slightly try to change the UI to make sense with a controller, and every screen is setup completely differently. There is no way to remap the controls. The UI is just terrible with a controller.

If you have it running on a laptop there is absolutely no good reason to try to play it on the ps4. The switch version also has some very questionable controls, but at least there you can touch screen a fair number of things which ends up making it a lot more usable. I guess if its on a deep sale and you are willing to spend a few hours getting used to things it would be worth it.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Serephina posted:

The trouble with ITB is that most people get maybe 10 hours of gameplay out of it before ditching, which is a poor deal for a $10 game. Especially from the guys who made FTL, there where high expectations. It's not bad, just disappointing.

I hard disagree with every single thing you said.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I really enjoyed my 6.6 hours so far of The Curious Expedition. Hot tip, 100% do the tutorial first, I thought I could figure things out on my own and I was absolutely wrong, especially about the combat.

For what its worth, my immediate reaction to seeing the name of the game was "oh yea I totally wanna go play more of that" even if my total playtime wasnt that much.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The worst thing BoI popularized is the "unlock things that get added to the loot pool" mechanic. It's always garbage, except for in Monolith where you can apparently toggle off unlocks, so you can't screw up by unlocking bad things. Even so, it's possibly the most boring form of progression ever - unlocking the CHANCE that an item will drop does not feel like a reward.

I am willing to accept that there are people out there that enjoy that mechanic, and that to some degree it's a matter of taste. I just don't understand it or like it.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

For sure, the Rogue Legacy/immortal redneck progression is infinitely worse. I do like unlocking different starter loadouts or pieces of loadouts, if those choices are either simple or meaningful (or both!). I think the way Nuclear Throne does it is pretty good, but mostly because it doesn't get in the way - it's something to work towards if you are into it.

Then again I think I like just about every decision NT makes over most roguelites, except that the last patch STILL hasn't come to ps4.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Hooplah posted:

I like unlockable poo poo and think binding of isaac is fun.

Sure, to be clear I love unlocking stuff, I think progression is fun, I specifically think the "adding things to a global loot pool" system is terrible. One of the things I actually really liked in Binding of Isaac was the curated run thing, where you chose a theme or mission or whatever it was, and you started with specific items and only encountered a subset of rooms/items/enemies.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Somfin posted:

This is why games need to just lie about their numbers. Cut the sub-HP poo poo and spit out a big ol' integer when the breakpoint is actually crossed. Never let the player or enemies deal less than 1 damage at a time. You only ever really need two decimal places of accuracy in your damage numbers.

I would argue that the real issue here is a bunch of +1% bonuses are boring as poo poo.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

EtG is a fine game that I dont like very much, while Hades is a fantastic game that is absolutely worth installing the epic launcher for.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Dont Starve is great, and Dont Starve Together is even better.

Just bought the Klei card roguelike and am very excited to dig into it as someone who is only sortof okay at those kinds of games. Are there any sort of unlockables? The Epic launcher not having any sort of cloud saves is by far my biggest issue with it, so if the save matters beyond the current run Ill have to decide which device to play on.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

That sounds like it might be my jam!

Shame there's no demo so I can test if it works on my tablet/if it's usable on the phone, though.

I played all of Card Quest on the phone and I cant imagine playing it any other way.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

So I accidentally unlocked the sixth character in Dicey Dungeons and wow the Jester is rad as hell! A proper deck builder was NOT what I was expecting. I naturally lost my first run cause I put too much junk in it, but the duplicate mechanic makes it much less clear to me how to do the normal deck builder strat of "delete as many cards as possible" especially given how few chances there are to do so. Still, very excited about the character, especially after not particularly enjoying the witch.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

(More Dicey Dungeons talk about final character)
Not a spoiler: Every bump card is worth taking every time. If you bump a six die you get a six plus a one die, which can combine with some characters absurdly well since so much equipment doesnt care what the number is.

alansmithee posted:

Honestly when playing with the "regular" deck you start with, I'm not even sure how much you want to delete, if at all since his super mechanic is all about finding doubles. I'm stuck on elimination round with him and I'm starting to think the removal is kinda a trap, since you need to keep cycling through and if you start pulling out your starter cards you'll end up with a lot more stragglers

Roluth posted:

Grab as many "cantrip" cards like Duplicate or Upgraded Bops as you can. Jester doesn't have many dice to go around, and he needs the cycling. Snap! is the best limit in the game for how much he can play in one turn, so getting rid of the starter healing cards is a good way to keep damage up.

Both of these are mostly true, but I just had the most broken run in the game doing the opposite. First, I got the shield pack as a level up option, which gives two basic add shield card and then a do damage equal to your current shield card. THEN I got a finisher that lets you take an entire second turn once per battle. That plus a Hall of Mirrors that got copied, and the witch card that also got copied let me cycle like crazy. I ended up removing all of the bop cards which was a massive benefit because A) the min 3 screws you sometimes and B) there are only 3, so not having them lets you actually get doubles much more often. The heal/shield if at full health cards ended up being very useful for either cycling or healing from poison, which I think is the only thing that goes through shield.

At one point I had 35 shield and I took zero damage from the final boss. Cant recommend the shield pack enough.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Plunge came out today, and I haven't played it much but I've liked what I did play. Its a turn based roguelike where moving and attacking are the same action, but you move as far as you can in one direction every turn til you either hit a wall or do an attack. The goal of every level is to get a key, which might be on an enemy or the ground, then escape through a hatch, with occasional boss levels. It seems like it might show up on phones at some point? It feels really good to play, got that good juice etc. I don't know how much there is to it, but if you have seven bucks and need a dicey dungeon break, its nice.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Like a sliding ice puzzle, but as a whole game? Jeez. I don't know if I think that sounds neat or like the worst idea ever.

Yeah, I'm not normally in to those, but the snappyness, for lack of a better term, has made it fun instead of frustrating (so far)

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The ultimate form of the first person shooter roguelike is a Battle Royale game.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I only play apex legends, but it has all ton of classic roguelike aspects: permadeath, randomized loot, progression (in the form of better mods/armor), characters with meaningfully different abilities, every match is basically a run, etc

If the game had bots instead of being multiplayer it would 100% be considered a roguelike, and I think if anything being multiplayer makes it more interesting just because no AI is going to mimic the variety of opponent behavior the way just having different people playing is. Also I cant imagine anyone would go to the trouble of making a single player version when the multiplayer ones make so much money, so for now its the best First Person Roguelike we are gonna get.

edit: Also a Caves of Qud Battle Royale game would be the money

Truspeaker fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 3, 2019

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

ecavalli posted:

Apex Legends is lacking one of the key aspects of the roguelike subgenre: Randomized environments.

Id argue that the random ring locations count, though it would definitely be interesting if each location actually changed geometry each game. I should also say that I made a very slight mistake: of course I meant Roguelite.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Xik posted:

I was going to make a quip about how no matter the seriousness someone takes their roguelikes, everyone could rally behind how poo poo this opinion is, but.....

In the last 7DRL challenge there was a "Battle Royale themed" Roguelike called B-Line that was well received and even got a post 7DRL version.

This is very cool!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I cant stand issac/gungeon, but Nuclear Throne is fantastic. Ive never liked, or wanted to get better at, the tear aiming in issac - it feels bad, and while getting cool combos is itself fun, I just think fundamentally the "unlock things to be added to the loot pool" idea sucks and dont want to engage with it. Gungeon is just too slow, even after they made it better. Both of them I get why people like it, I just dont, and dont want to. I do like Monolith, even though it technically has that system, but it feels good without anything unlocked.

The thing I think I like the most about Nuclear Throne is that its a game you can just PLAY. You can boot it up and just go, knowing that a good run is gonna be about ten minutes to the throne, a great run is a solid half hour, and if somehow it goes longer somethings gone really well. The decisions you make are important, but they are also quick - you dont get stuck deciding between a bunch of random stats, its just mutations and weapons, and yet still there is a ton of build variety (until you loop, where the number of viable weapons gets much smaller, but theres still plenty of choices to make). Enemies die quick, you die quick, everything MOVES. The whole "when you kill the last enemy the portal opens where they die" thing is perfect - you just keep moving.

I like Hades a lot for similar reasons, though sometimes I think runs are a bit too long. Love the build variety though, I completely agree that the best part is the "what weird new build am I gonna get this time?" aspect.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Zircon recently back ported my analog stick movement from the Switch onto the PC build. I am very proud of it, because dpad movement in roguelikes is jank and so is shiren's hold-shoulder-to-lock-diagonals.

I ended up playing a lot more tangledeep on the switch than I ever did on the PC version, and a lot of that is due to the gamepad controls, so the work is appreciated!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I and a couple friends got into NT around the same time, and for a while we were all stuck around lil hunter too. At some point we learned that two shots of the Assault Slugger will kill him right away and that's how we did it til we got good enough to get him with other stuff. You might need Scarier Face, but you should get that every time imo, changes a huge number of weapons from two shot kills to one shot kills, which obviously has great synergy with trigger fingers.

Fun bonus: if you like YV, you can blaap lil hunter with an assault slugger and kill him before he finishes his first shot!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

victrix posted:

Yeah, a hearty gently caress you to whoever decided 'completely obscured item info' in 'games about items' was a great feature to continue propagating :mad:

It annoys me even in the games I do know well, and makes picking up new ones really annoying.

This, absolutely this. It would be a ton of work, but in a perfect world every roguelike would have an in game compendium that gets filled out as you use and find things, that eventually just tells you what everything does. If the info is all just a wiki away, it should be in the game. Better yet, a dedicated button when looking at an item or enemy or ability that immediately opens said compendium to the relevant sections.

But most roguelikes can barely get a functional UI in anyways, so Im not gonna hold my breath.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Apparently crosssave isnt in the switch version of Hades yet, so if you are like me and have a few dozen hours in the pc version and was hoping to hop right in where you left off, you can totally wait to buy it til they update it to actually let you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Aegis is definitely the best and most important character. Guard is just too useful, and if you give every single armor and shield station to them you can, especially with shield regen equipment, most of the game is really easy. I've gotten to 50 armor on aegis and at that point all those multi hit aoe attacks end up doing zero damage to your whole party with fortress.

Once you unlock the devastator weapon (which is even one of the cheaper ones I think?), a lot of characters can fill that saboteur role (+ stagger time, +quickness, light attacks hit anywhere). Supposedly the +shield regen stuff is going to affect more skills in the next patch, so there will be more options for healers too. My last run the heal robot was the final boss and I thought it would be real difficult but the empath + aegis took care of business.