Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is there a way to create ammo in Void Bastards? I seem to never have ammo in the game since I don't find it very often on the ground.

Off the top of my head: nope!
Main Options:
  • one of the perks has a chance of giving you some more ammo when you fire your last shot
  • save merits for k-mart
  • head for a ship based on ammo type found
  • kill fewer things, lock all rift rooms,
  • build the ammo finder things ASAP- they add a lot of ammo to a particular room/ship, and they help a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

tweet my meat posted:

Is sword of the stars any good? I've had it on steam for a while and never played.

Sword of the stars is good, sword of the stars 2 is apparently terrible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Sword of the Stars is a 4X game

and also not very good, it's just a case of iffy design in the original vs. a sequel that for a very long time was literally just not a complete/working game

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

LordSloth posted:

Off the top of my head: nope!
Main Options:
  • one of the perks has a chance of giving you some more ammo when you fire your last shot
  • save merits for k-mart
  • head for a ship based on ammo type found
  • kill fewer things, lock all rift rooms,
  • build the ammo finder things ASAP- they add a lot of ammo to a particular room/ship, and they help a ton

Adding an obvious one to this: use all of your weapons.

Maybe Hard is stingier with ammo, but I never ran into ammo issues during my entire Normal run.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I do like City of Brass pretty well, but I really wish I didn't have to manually collect every piece of gold and smash every pot I come across. It's a bit sad that some of my most coveted items are the gold magnet and a whip that smashes pots in an area.

What about the shoes that smash pots just by standing near them
Combine with the gold magnet and you'll instantly have more money than you can ever spend just by walking through the level.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sword of the Stars is a 4X game

and also not very good, it's just a case of iffy design in the original vs. a sequel that for a very long time was literally just not a complete/working game

Oh I didnt realize there was another game before The Pit, what kind of design decisions did you dislike? I'm gonna check it out still, but is there anything I should be wary of?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

tweet my meat posted:

Oh I didnt realize there was another game before The Pit, what kind of design decisions did you dislike? I'm gonna check it out still, but is there anything I should be wary of?

It's a 4X with a counter-based weapon and armor system, and a randomized tech tree where it's not guaranteed whether you get the prerequisite techs to have certain counters.

It's also got a turn-based strategic mode, but switching to an RTS for combat resolution, but the RTS portion is really clunky and awkward to control. It also obviously doesn't work in asynchronous multiplayer, which is the only way I've ever found to actually play a multiplayer 4X game to completion.

The one really cool thing the game has going for it is that each faction has unique movement mechanics (there's one that can only move along hyperlanes, one that can moves slowly into new territory but can instantly move around its own space, one that starts moving slowly at the start of a trip but gets progressively faster over time, etc.) but it's kind of generic outside of that.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

There are three SOTS games, two 4x ones and one RL. SOTS 1 is good, SOTS 2 is a terrible, horrible, awesome trainwreck that never came together properly over its lifetime, and The Pit is between mediocre and inoffensively bad. If you only play one, play SOTS 1 with all its expansions.

The Pit, eh, you could probably do better. It relies a lot on item degradation, has some fairly degenerate tactics, and is kinda long and samey, but it's not an affront to the art or anything.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

The original sword of the stars actually appealed to me quite strongly as a singleplayer game. It strikes an extremely similar chord as the -first- Master of Orion, IMO. That includes the limited depth of the strategic layer, but I still enjoy MoO 1, sometimes more than MoO2.

I as to the Pit; if you already own it, I’d suggest giving it a try. From a RL perspective it has many concerns preventing me from a wholehearted ‘buy’, but it does have some fun to it, similar to Dredmor. I’ve watched some fun streams, played a few runs myself. There is value and fun to be had- but it also has the nightmares of crafting, an extremely unwieldy inventory, and item destruction. I’m also not a fan of skill checks for just about everything, including loot.

That said, it does have its charms. So give it a whirl one evening- if it does end up striking a chord for you there is a lot of additional content available. And it’s easier to pick up the controls than Nethack or Adom- so there’s not much of a learning curve before you can tell if it’s your sort of thing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

There are three SOTS games, two 4x ones and one RL. SOTS 1 is good, SOTS 2 is a terrible, horrible, awesome trainwreck that never came together properly over its lifetime, and The Pit is between mediocre and inoffensively bad. If you only play one, play SOTS 1 with all its expansions.

The Pit, eh, you could probably do better. It relies a lot on item degradation, has some fairly degenerate tactics, and is kinda long and samey, but it's not an affront to the art or anything.

There is actually 4 now. Newest one is the pit in first person.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/577410/The_Pit_Infinity

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a 4X with a counter-based weapon and armor system, and a randomized tech tree where it's not guaranteed whether you get the prerequisite techs to have certain counters.

It's also got a turn-based strategic mode, but switching to an RTS for combat resolution, but the RTS portion is really clunky and awkward to control. It also obviously doesn't work in asynchronous multiplayer, which is the only way I've ever found to actually play a multiplayer 4X game to completion.

The one really cool thing the game has going for it is that each faction has unique movement mechanics (there's one that can only move along hyperlanes, one that can moves slowly into new territory but can instantly move around its own space, one that starts moving slowly at the start of a trip but gets progressively faster over time, etc.) but it's kind of generic outside of that.

Okay I never played it MP, so it's entirely possible it just doesn't work at all in that context. So...possibly everything I say goes right out the window when it goes MP.

Most of counter stuff though is either soft enough/there are enough substitutes that you can squeak by even if you miss an important tech. For example, you might not get point defense lasers, but you could substitute in point defense guns, or light emitters (which can his missiles and fighters), so you can get a 75% solution to most builds in most cases.

I really, really enjoyed the interplay between the ship building and the tactical combat. A lot of 4x games have somewhat vestigal unit customization system that end up being either bigger numbers better or a rock-paper-scissors situation, and I appreciated that most ship customizations you made in SOTS I caused you to handle your fleet significantly differently in the tactical layer. Also, the faction differentiation is top-notch; the Hiver ships have relatively high speeds and terrible turning, whereas the Liir ships have basically zero inertia. The combination of unique/different techs, extremely different ship builds, and the different movement mechanics gives it a lot of flavor.

Yes I am a SOTS I fanboy.

Harminoff posted:

There is actually 4 now. Newest one is the pit in first person.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/577410/The_Pit_Infinity

...huh.

E: From the trailers it doesn't look...great.

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2019

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I recall a lot of talk about Kerberos/maybe one of the devs only on the SOTS team being awful too, but it's been years and I can't remember the specifics even slightly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

...huh.

E: From the trailers it doesn't look...great.

Yeah the video that plays by default on the Steam store page looks really rough. I get that it's an EA title, but it looks like a lot of backpedaling and whiffing shots at enemies that don't often react to damage (besides weirdly specific numbers like "12.63", which tells me there might be a lot of granular +1%, +2% stats and loot). Animations look really slow, stiff, and weak. Like the way the revolver just radiates a puff of smoke, or the leisurely speed brass ejects from the rifle--both seem to be in slow motion.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah the video that plays by default on the Steam store page looks really rough. I get that it's an EA title, but it looks like a lot of backpedaling and whiffing shots at enemies that don't often react to damage (besides weirdly specific numbers like "12.63", which tells me there might be a lot of granular +1%, +2% stats and loot). Animations look really slow, stiff, and weak. Like the way the revolver just radiates a puff of smoke, or the leisurely speed brass ejects from the rifle--both seem to be in slow motion.

This is why games need to just lie about their numbers. Cut the sub-HP poo poo and spit out a big ol' integer when the breakpoint is actually crossed. Never let the player or enemies deal less than 1 damage at a time. You only ever really need two decimal places of accuracy in your damage numbers.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Somfin posted:

This is why games need to just lie about their numbers. Cut the sub-HP poo poo and spit out a big ol' integer when the breakpoint is actually crossed. Never let the player or enemies deal less than 1 damage at a time. You only ever really need two decimal places of accuracy in your damage numbers.

I would argue that the real issue here is a bunch of +1% bonuses are boring as poo poo.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Truspeaker posted:

I would argue that the real issue here is a bunch of +1% bonuses are boring as poo poo.

Not to mention the whole weapon/armor modification system that takes rare items to apply a random insignificant +1.2% upgrade to gear (which will be replaced soon anyway) and as a bonus has a chance to destroy the equipment.

Yes, this is a design decision someone intentionally made.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
For those who want City of Brass, don't have it, and chose not to get it on Epic for free for whatever reason, it's currently on sale on Steam as well for $7

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable Void Bastards is. Has anyone come across some of the more bizarre traits i assume some prisoners will have?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
One outstanding fellow was too tall to fit in the profile pic, and had 'doors automatically open when you approach them'. I have no idea how that interacts with Gene Therapy etc.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This one has been around for awhile but I've only just recently gotten into it, and I feel dumb for waiting so long considering how much I love collecting meaningful garbage.

1. Nova Drift

2. NEO Scavenger

There is a special place in my heart for collecting junk in video games. I know it’s not just me, either, because big titles from Fallout to The Long Dark have made their fortunes on letting people scrounge shell casings and old candy bars out of wastebaskets. I think it touches on the appeal of collecting, how you hoover up all kinds of garbage, sort the useful garbage from the actual garbage, maybe make useful garbage OUT of actual garbage, and eventually outfit yourself in the best garbage possible. It’s no surprise there are now games built more fully around this concept, and NEO Scavenger has it right there in the title. But you may be surprised at how much it does with the concept, how rich its world is, and just how compelling it can be.

You awaken in a cryogenics facility, with no memory and only a medical bracelet to tell you who you are. Outside, the world has very much changed. Cities lie empty, strange creatures roam the wilderness, and your fellow man is just as likely to kill and eat you as wave hello. Yep, the world sure has ended, and you’ve got to figure out how you fit into all of this. But before that, you should probably find some pants. You might also need fresh water, a weapon or two, maybe some tools to fix all this old-world tech you’re finding, and a sleeping bag or something for when the cold, ominous night falls.

Like I said, it’s right there in the title. NEO Scavenger starts you off in the post-apocalyptic wilds of Michigan with nothing, and expects you to survive. Actually, “expects” is probably the wrong word, because you’re sure to die more than a few ignoble deaths to hypothermia and dysentery before you figure out how to get anywhere. But to do that, you’ve got to comb through the ruins of the past, turning up clothes, food, and all kinds of actual junk to bash together into useful junk. What you find will inform your options, and you’ll have to use those options to their fullest to start unraveling the mysteries here.

There are a lot of tantalizing mysteries here, hinted at through newspaper scraps, strange landmarks, and unfamiliar creatures hounding you. But first, you have to learn to survive off of literal junk. I’m not kidding here, most of what you find early on is very much rocks, sticks, string, dirty rags, and grocery bags. And because this is such a robust simulation, you’ll need to use those to make kindling, storage solutions, and weapons. You have all kinds of slots on your character to hold things or sling them over your shoulder, and carting around those grocery bags will indeed be your first real storage option in the game. The crafting system will be one of your biggest hurdles, requiring such specifics as medium-length flexible shafts and rigid sharp-edged objects to make a simple wooden spear. It took me awhile just to figure out how to clean rags for bandages, since a few of the interactions are less than obvious like how you have to “empty out” a bottle to get the liquid in your inventory to use or craft with.

Turning all this stuff up is a major part of the gameplay, too. Unlike the isometric maps or first-person perspective of the many Fallout games, NEO Scavenger is entirely menu-driven. You navigate the world on a hex map of fields, forests, and ruins, with each hex marked with icons representing items present, scavenging opportunities, and campsites. To scavenge, you identify a building or location and then choose skills or items to use in your search. The skill system is a clever have-it-or-don’t think that allows you to use abilities like Strong or Mechanic in crafting and scavenging, while items like crowbars and lighters can help you improve your odds, for a cost. Each time you hunt junk, you have a chance of injuring yourself or alerting nearby presences, so that risk/reward relationship needs to be managed carefully.

You have a ton of options for avoiding attention, too, besides simply looting quietly. Your character leaves tracks as you traverse the world, and you can spend action points covering yours if you’re afraid of being found. You can hide, you can move stealthily, and you can spy on others to prevent ambushes and such, and the more threatening your foes get the more practical this becomes. Camping is another system to take seriously, since if you get found while asleep you are utterly at the mercy of your visitor. You pick places to camp, what items to use like sleeping bags and improvised alarms, and so on. And when night falls your vision on the world map pretty much blacks out, so you need to be ready to take shelter after dark.

This remarkable spread of options extends to combat as well, in one of the most impressive systems the game has to offer. Encountering another being (or group) puts you both in a menu where you take turns choosing actions. You have a distance between you (measured in paces, I think), and at the most basic level you can choose to advance or retreat. But then you get options like charging, which moves you further but makes you vulnerable and confers a chance to trip, or advancing under cover which keeps you hidden and unidentified by your opponent. You can tackle people to the ground, pull them down with you, kick them while they’re down, or dodge roll past them. There are even dialog options included, since not everyone you get put into “combat” with is hostile.

At this point it should be clear how absurdly robust the simulation is in NEO Scavenger, and why it ends up being so compelling. There are thousands of items, hundreds of crafting combinations, all kinds of encounters and challenges to overcome with them, and a mysterious story to uncover once you learn how. But most of all, it’s fun. In your very first encounter of the game, beating it through sheer might gives you the option of saving a recording of your awesome deed. That goofy humor caries through the rest of the game, even when special encounters turn grim or deadly. Really the only thing that might hold anyone back from enjoying this one is the learning curve, but it’s more strategy to suss out than mechanics and that should be a fun adventure to take. If you want some of the best wasteland scrounging and adventuring around, then trust me, you want to give NEO Scavenger a chance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deckbuilding chat a few pages ago got me back into Night of the Full Moon, and I just cleared Hard 5 as the Witch. The combination of Silver Shroud (equipment: at the start of your turn, play a random attack or counter from your deck) and Waving Staff (attack: draw a mana card, and gain a temporary copy of a spell card you own with cost ≥5) I already knew about and continues to be sick as hell, but this was the first run where I really had a chance to go all in on ice in addition to that, with Blizzard, Cold Snap, Frost Amulet, and Frost Nova in my deck, and Icy Wind and Absolute Zero as intrinsics. The great thing about Waving Staff is that it lets you keep Frost Nova (which would otherwise be exiled) in your deck and just keep playing copies of it, doubling or tripling them with Hands Casting and Super Hex.

My record was ~350 chill on one enemy, and for most of the third act nothing I fought -- including the final two bosses, Dream Tree and The Witch -- got to act at all, with me instead stacking hundreds of chill and turning that into an endless chain of consecutive turns.

I know there are other valid witch builds, but goddamn if ice isn't probably the most broken of them.

Meanwhile, my attempts to make a Lightning Link/Lightning Explosion Apothecary build have ended with an awful lot of dead apothecaries all over chapter 2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable Void Bastards is. Has anyone come across some of the more bizarre traits i assume some prisoners will have?

I started with a smoker who randomly coughs and alerts enemies

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I put a few hours into NEO Scavenger and enjoyed myself, but I beat it (I think? I got what appeared to be a real ending anyway) a lot faster than the world implied. Are there multiple endings and I just got a sort of fake one?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Neo-Scavenger has a neat 'backwater american urban legend spliced with post-apocalyptic' setting that I liked a lot.

I think it would take a monumental number of trial and error of runs to see the end of it without looking at spoilers, though, even once you have a handle on surviving the early game.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

The most amusingly useful trait I've found is "Diminutive (small stature)" which makes you small enough that you never have to crouch to go through crawlspaces (also can be coupled with Footpad that lets you sprint silently) and you can bypass a lot of bullshit by jumping on chairs/desks/etc to climb through broken windows. Making it a lot easier to trap enemies in locked rooms.

Serephina posted:

One outstanding fellow was too tall to fit in the profile pic, and had 'doors automatically open when you approach them'. I have no idea how that interacts with Gene Therapy etc.
It doesn't really interact with most systems, the auto-thing only applies to doors. It does make it harder to lock doors on enemies if you accidentally get close enough to trigger the insta-open. Sometimes Gene Therapy lets you just remove a negative trait or just add a positive, but the more traits you have the more likely it is to replace a trait with something else. (maybe the A/B/C options simply apply straight across to your character's 1/2/3 trait slot?)

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 4, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

silentsnack posted:

Sometimes Gene Therapy lets you just remove a negative trait or just add a positive, but the more traits you have the more likely it is to replace a trait with something else. (maybe the A/B/C options simply apply straight across to your character's 1/2/3 trait slot?)

Exactly that, yes. It's very easy to optimize your char into 3 positives which have some sort of synergy. Assuming you're on the winning streak and will never die. I swear, early game is the hardest part by far.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm enjoying SotS:The Pit well enough. Are there any newer traditional roguelikes with full graphics?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Check out Dungeonmans and Tangledeep.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

tweet my meat posted:

I'm enjoying SotS:The Pit well enough. Are there any newer traditional roguelikes with full graphics?

Dungeonmans and Tangledeep both come to mind.

e: hah

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I've had a client so short he was roughly the height of Tourists (Mugshot was just hands holding the name card) and another got super excited picking up anything.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Nova Drift is stunning. I was not prepared for how well constructed that game was going to be.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nthing the message that Nova Drift is great. It’s very light on the roguelite angle but for me it’s more of a score attack challenge. I’m gunning for a 1 million point run, but man it gets insanely tough after wave 100.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love NEO Scavenger, but I think my big complaint with it is that most of the late-game story is hidden behind trial and error events with instant-death options. Either you need to throw yourself into the meat grinder over and over again to get back to the point where you can get there, or you have to just look it up, and then it's all very unfulfilling.

That said, this only becomes a problem after like at least 20-30 hours of play, and I have 80 in the drat thing, so take that as you will.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Has there been any news on when the patch is coming out for ToME?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I revisited A Robot Named Fight, and I had a lucky run. If you squint *real* hard, you can just barely make out the leg of my hero behind the gigantic flaming, electrified, explosive, and penetrating bullet of doom I just fired.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How the hell does Hades work better on my computer than Wizard of Legend? I don't know anything about computers but I would think the pixelly game would heat up my laptop less than the flashy 3d game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

LordSloth posted:

I revisited A Robot Named Fight, and I had a lucky run. If you squint *real* hard, you can just barely make out the leg of my hero behind the gigantic flaming, electrified, explosive, and penetrating bullet of doom I just fired.

HOW

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

PMush Perfect posted:

I love NEO Scavenger, but I think my big complaint with it is that most of the late-game story is hidden behind trial and error events with instant-death options. Either you need to throw yourself into the meat grinder over and over again to get back to the point where you can get there, or you have to just look it up, and then it's all very unfulfilling.

That said, this only becomes a problem after like at least 20-30 hours of play, and I have 80 in the drat thing, so take that as you will.

I can't imagine I just got lucky in picking the right instant death choices but maybe that happened? As I recall, I ended up in some sort of rocket pod flying away from the area after sneaking around an abandoned base of some kind.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I can't imagine I just got lucky in picking the right instant death choices but maybe that happened? As I recall, I ended up in some sort of rocket pod flying away from the area after sneaking around an abandoned base of some kind.
Yep, that's the ending. However, most of the lore is hidden in side locations like the Blue Frog Cult base where wrong decisions kill you. That, getting into your bank account and killing the Merga-Wraith, which originally wasn't supposed to be possible, are the big three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

LordSloth posted:

I picked up ARNF this weekend and I'm loving it. A first it feels like just a Super Metroid knock off with the novelty of procedural maps. But as you do more runs and unlock more items and therefore potential builds, it begins feeling like a real action roguelite. Definitely worth a look if you owned an SNES back in the day.