Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I started playing ADOM recently and bought it on steam today. Definitely scratches that roguelike itch, but could seriously use some cleaning up controls-wise.

Today on a troll fighter I randomed, I was doing troll stuff and eating whatever was on the floor (except kobolds, too much trouble) and picking up pretty rocks and a pixie shows up.

I immediately jump on the fucker and kill it, knowing from previous experience that they like to drop a lot (for the part of the game I'm in at least) of gold. The fucker left a corpse too.

So I eat it.

Cue me teleporting randomly every few turns and 'accidentally' stealing a ring of damage and a nice broadsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I think ADOM hates me.

I randomed a priest and when I tried to learn divine fury (or whatever it's called) I first fell into a hole, then when I crawled out of it and tried again, I was randomly teleported and had to beat a bat to death so I could try again.

Finally, the book just bursts into flames :shepface:

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Another ADOM tale:

So, I went into the unremarkable cave at lvl 1 on a drakeling paladin and found all sorts of crazy bullshit, like a 2h adamantium sword crazy.

Then on floor 3 (4?) I didn't want to risk a rust monster from rusting said sword, so I started trying wands on it. I got one that let me use however much PP I wanted and watched as it bounced back and forth, slowly murdering me and the rust monster. :shepface:

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I don't know what my deity is going to do with all of these goblins and kobolds, but he seemed pretty happy with me sacrificing them.

(I found a neutral altar on the first floor of the starter dungeon)

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I'm being a huge sperg and arguing with ADOM's creator about the control scheme being bad on the steam forums.

In other news:

I made a mist elf wizard.
He was awesome at spitting acid.
Then rocks fell.
I died.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Oh hey, found a lawful altar for my high elf barbarian (whom has a tamed blink dog that has hosed off to lord knows where, it honestly seemed like a good idea at first), lets send our god a bunch of assorted poo poo and get precrowned!

Oh hey, staff of the archmagi. I think I'm worshipping the wrong god.

On another note, are there any strategies to saving the cute puppy before it dies horribly? I always feel awful 'g'iving it to the little girl.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Ah, I see. Before I would talk to the girl and tell her the news, then eat it in front of her.

Later I would find out that that is a very, VERY bad thing to do.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

:crossarms:

You feel awful giving her the corpse but were totally okay with eating it in front of her?

At first I was, then I coped with it by eating her dead puppy.

Can't let good meat go to waste!

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I made a dark elf monk called sanic where I took every +speed talent asap (also had raven starsign)

It actually worked nicely, getting a bunch of extra hits in and so on, then out of sheer stubbornness I tried leading a cat downstairs in the puppy cave away from an altar I was sacrificing to and ended up in a tunnel with it at one end and a river on the other side.

I decided that I could take a couple hits from drowning, so I leapt in and drowned after moving one tile.

It took me a while to realize the significance of this.

edit: Also since I stopped caring about the little girl, I've been experimenting more...with her dead dog. I've tried throwing it at her 'Little Girl looks shocked!' but doesn't seem to understand that it's her pet, I've eaten it in front of her, I've left it for her to find and she simply picks it up, non the wiser.

What I'm trying to say is, this town is hosed up.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 23, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Cup is good wholesome fun.

Also learned today that it doesn't matter how badass you are, you can still kill yourself (quite easily) with lightning bolt.

It was a gnome wizard where I got invisibility, strength of atlas and ray of death quite early, so I was incredibly hard to hit and could lug around EVERYTHING. Also found a pair of blessed seven league boots too (which got burnt to ashes earlier in an area with a bunch of steel golems). Had the salamander birth sign which helped early on, making my firebolts and burning hands cost virtually nothing, I was actually gearing up to try to do the tower of flame for the first time too, but was panicking because I (thought) didn't have a fireproof blanket. So I end up killing myself trying to do trickshots one this one dungeon floor with some sort of temple surrounded by water, water grues, water demons, etc.

Then again, it was feeling a little TOO easy, with it being annoying at times encountering monsters that shrug off all my fire spells and the only other two non-fire offensive spells I had were lightning bolt and magic missile.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

alarumklok posted:

You can also put a hero in an unpowered room to suspend spawns there. It's a neat little trick for the later floors when power gets scarce

This. Doing this is probably one of the more important parts to succeeding in the game.

As for the goon asking about neo-scavenger: Yes.

Longer version: You can pretend to be retarded for one check in the game. Also you can fight other hobos for their shopping bags which are an important commodity early on.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I just bought Dungeonmans and I don't know what to name my continent.

Hardest roguelike ever.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

MrWillsauce posted:

Australia. It's the roguelike of continents.

Roguelikest you mean.

Also I keep getting messages that I notice something secret is in my environment or whatever, I try using the look key (t), but I'm not sure if I'm using it right. I'm assuming I just look around with it and see if anything pops up/hit enter on a square I think has something?

Until my 7th dude, I didn't realize that the skill panel had an arrow that led down to more skill trees. For a while I thought Psychomansers just came with two unique skills.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

This is on a randomly rolled high elf necromancer.

All I know is I've heard good things about the book near the bottom.

edit: I'm sad now.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 29, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
By the way, don't buy Skyshine's Bedlam. It has a cool as gently caress concept with one of the worst combat systems I have ever seen. Incredibly disappointing to see an awesome concept turned into poo poo.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Dr. Dos posted:

A ratling warlord disarmed me in the HMV shop which made my spear of might become store property and also the loss of toughness from wielding the spear meant i had to sell items to be able to move to pick up the spear and spend half my money on it.

Isn't ADOM awesome?

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

:shepface:

Also Bubba 2.0 got the name from murdering my brown bear while trying to tame it.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
1) ADOM: Despite having god awful controls, still is ridiculously fun to play, especially with how indepth things can get. You can eat yourself too (dopplegangers) if you're hungry enough.

2) TOME(Tales of Maj'Eyal): The game isn't afraid to let you feel a little overpowered but at the same time is willing to put you in your place. All the classes are pretty unique in playstyle and concept while trying to avoid some of the classic class cliches, like Brawlers being the 'Monk' class, but focuses more on you just straight up punching the poo poo out of dudes and even pulling a few wrasslin' moves on them. You can also play as a Paradox Mage and make guys cease to exist as one of their abilities and gently caress with multiple time lines at once while calling in for backup in the form of your future self to kill the poo poo out of guys (then have to go back into the past to help yourself at that moment too). The only downside is that the beginning is always the same; do all the newbie dungeons for each race, then all the other dungeons, then Dreadfel. It would be better if it took an approach like ADOM or other games where doing one locks you out of the others while also giving you exp to make up the difference. Overall, it's a very easy to get into roguelike that does a good job of easing new players into the genre with how the class unlock system works. I only have it rated lower than ADOM because it has less random bullshit to change things up.

3) Neo-Scavenger: So, okay, get this. You wake up from cryosleep in the future and find a wide open wilderness with derelict buildings everywhere. You're naked except for a hospital gown. Your most important early resource are grocery bags, slowly going up to bigger and bigger bags as you hobo your way through the game, fending off wild dogs by threatening them, or kicking them to death (or using an improvised weapon, I'm not your mom/dad/parental figure). This game is Hobo Simulator 2015 basically and it's loving great. Find some berries in the woods? Uh-oh, you have a bad case of diarrhea now and are making GBS threads yourself to death! Also get annoyed as the flip flop on your right foot falls off and you miss the message telling you, so now you're walking around with only one shoe on and oh my loving god blisters- IS THAT A loving GOD drat WEREWOLF!? Little lighter on random events, but hey, you can pretend to be retarded at one point, so this game easily makes #3 for me.

4) FTL: While actually being a rogue-lite, it still has a lot of fun random elements and events with multiple different outcomes. Venting all the air out of areas of the ship enemy boarders have teleported into will never not be fun.

5) Dungeons of Dredmor: I somehow got nearly 500 hours in this before finding TOME or ADOM. It's still a good game, but it can crash for odd reasons, has no auto-explore and heavily favours certain skill loadouts over others. Still ridiculously goofy and has some good steamworks mods. The latest (and final) expansion added its own kind of 'mutation' mechanic in in the form of encrusting. Yes they liberally make jokes ingame about the name of it, yes, even sea men. I have never beaten this and refuse to play on anything but Going Rogue (highest difficulty).

6) The Binding of Isaac (Rebirth): Another rogue-lite, but addictive as all hell. Basically it's like a mix of Smash T.V and the top over levels of Contra. It can sometimes suck rear end when they game hands you nothing but lemons, but is pretty rewarding when you figure out the mechanics of the game to maximize the amount of power ups you're getting.

7) Dwarf Fortress: I still don't know what I'm doing.

8) Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: I only have it ranked this low because I haven't played it nearly enough. It's like ADOM in a lot of ways, but it's more streamlined in progression, with you focusing getting to the bottom floor and making it back up to the top with a wondrous artifact. The races are pretty unique and varied, changing the game up as much as the class you pick and it includes one of the most 'roguelike' classes ever, the Chaosknight, or rather one that follows a specific god. If you've played this before, you know the one. It's pretty easy to hop into and just have a good time or spectate other people's games if you're using the browser version. Like I said, I haven't played nearly enough of it, but poo poo can get pretty crazy. Also it has Sigurd. Don't know who he is? Play this game and go hang out with him. :unsmigghh:

9) Dungeon of the Endless: More of a rogue-lite than anything, but a fairly fun hybrid of roguelike mechanics and tower defense. The game is hectic and unrelenting with enemy waves, forcing you to think on your feet to avoid having your heroes die and come up with a game plan as to how to spend your limited resources. There are multiple heroes that fill specific roles, but they all have their own quirks to get them from feeling samesy. One example is Gork being a slow dude that can be used to hold chokepoints and taunt enemies so that they focus him instead of squishier heroes/modules in the room and Elise sort of being the same thing, except can boost the amount of resources you get if she stays in the same room as a resource producing module for more than a turn while also getting many defensive bonuses and a room clearing attack. There's also specific hero matchups that will have a unique story together with it usually ending giving them both a new passive. It also has co-op which makes it easier to micromanage things. Also the aesthetic and music are loving great.

10) Sword of The Stars: The pit. : Hahaha, I'm not even going to bother. It can be fun at times, but overall it has a lot of problems mechanically and thematically.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 2, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Knightsoul posted:

It amuse me that in this thread no one throw some love to "Sword of the Stars: The Pit" : I find it really great, varied and challenging for a roguelike.

It isn't terrible, but at the same time when I was trying to write something for it, I kept coming up with reasons why some of its mechanics weren't well thought out and/or terrible.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 4, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Except the crafting system sucks. I have a stove. I have meat. I need a recipe to roast meat? How did humanity even survive to reach space in the first place if you can't simply roast meat with a heat source?

You can craft it without knowing the recipe, but it still blows since there's a fairly good chance of it failing. (not because you don't know it, because the game sucks and makes you dump points to cook better).

Though the method you get crafting recipes is loving bullshit and will take a long rear end time to even learn a good amount of them.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

I love this man. He's like a weatherman for roguelikes. But also an archeologist.

Let's all make Archeometeorlogical roguelikes.

Do you actually get all the feedback sent to you from Dungeonmans? If so, you have quite a few new creepy/retarded messages.

Also quit killing my mans.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Highblood posted:

Roguelikes should start connecting their games to a server to allow devs to directly gently caress with their players playing

ToME and more recently Legend of Dungeon have started doing that (Legend of Dungeon more being viewers being able to gently caress with people).

Though in ToME it's more the creator turning people into pirates and stuff, still fun though.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

uPen posted:

Shrapnel is worse than Matrix and that's saying a lot.

Isn't Shrapnel the publisher that the Dominions 3 devs were using until their contract expired and they could move to steam?

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Duo posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a post-apocalyptic type roguelike but without zombie survival type stuff like Cataclysm (I'll still give it a shot though) or the over the top wackiness of something like hellmoo? I just finished Fallout 2 for the first time the other day and it got me in the mood for something in the style of that or Wasteland. Doesn't really have to be a nuclear type setting either. I know steam keeps recommending Neo Scavenger to me which might be sort of what I'm looking for.

I recommend Neo Scavenger quite a bit, there's a free demo you can try out too.

Also HSL talk; good lord I'm glad I got it for free. It's just the loving worst and boring as gently caress.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Honestly, I think ADOM is a good game, but it does have some lovely parts (also I still think the controls could be laid out better).

Though it does do one thing I wish TOME would do; basically let you choose a starting dungeon, lock you out of the other, get the same exp regardless. TOME would be a lot better if you didn't need to do all of the starting dungeons + 4 big boy dungeons to get going and instead just got all the exp you would normally from the first pair for your race.

That initial part of the game ends up burning me out and killing me before dreadfell most of the time.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

I was never down with their humor. I don't wanna pass judgement but stuff FUD vending machines and gods of Lutefisk certainly fall into the Not For Madjack category. However, their game has allowed them to prosper and make more games, whereas I'm close to living in a dumpster giving handjobs for Already Chewed Ramen. Maybe dmans needs a Lutefisk expansion.

I bet in a past life we died side by side in a muddy French battlefield. :black101: :hfive:

YOU NEVER ANSWER MY FEEDBACK

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Hahahaha

As for said sword, I think the game just bugged out and made it disappear, I honestly don't know for sure what the hell happened.

Also I learned to play and found Necromanser and Psychomanser to be incredibly powerful. Though vs the Crapmaster despite having the one talent that generates deadpulses passively vs bosses, he didn't poop any out =(

edit: Also does it show you the names of said heroes? I've been naming them after robot masters from megaman recently.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 20, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

And even more importantly, doesn't have a loving imbecilic meme for a title.

Shots fired.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

(If you posted or sent me a list, I'm going to be giving away steam keys. I'll post the google doc link to the list of games when I get home. First come first serve type of thing. There are maybe 10 roguelike keys, but there are another ~350 to choose from because hey we like all kinds of games.)

I'll be waiting with bated breath. (really hope one of said roguelikes is caves of qud)

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Added you as IAMCRAIG. Also I'll take a caves of qud copy! If not, then valkyria chronicles.

edit: Also for reg games, Spacechem, The bard's tale and steamworld dig (if that isn't too much)

double edit: Snatch up the King's Bounty games if you liked heroes of might and magic at all, the translations can be spotty at times, but overall they're pretty fun games.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 24, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

The crafting system in The Pit often gets touted but I think it actually exacerbates its biggest problem, which is that successful runs are extremely loot dependent. No matter how smart you play, some runs inevitably result in failure because you simply couldn't find sufficiently scaled gear to survive the later floors due to RNG. It's a very disheartening way to lose, even with the understanding that you can keep replaying.

The issue with the increased crafting recipes the Gold Edition and other DLCs is that it further reduces your chances of getting that crucial piece of armor or weaponry by polluting the loot tables with even more crafting components. Yes, you have the potential of creating some powerful gear on your own, but more often you're stuck with an inventory of components that only [i]might[/] result in something useful.

A lot of the game is just slowly losing to attrition, where you have to do goofy poo poo like preserving your starting gear because of the real possibility of not finding anything better in a run. An update to the game introduced the ability to bank stats and loot from one playthrough to a subsequent playthrough in an ostensible attempt to make things easier, but it just feels like introducing grind as a band-aid for the larger problem of RNG.

Yeah, there's a ridiculous amount of crafting recipes that you can only find rarely with a high deciphering skill while looking at message logs (either through searching desks or hacking into computers, which both are further skill investments) and it really doesn't help that they require specific crafting stations which themselves are uncommon to rare. Also banking exp and items is crap since you can only take them out if you make a character and choose to begin from that specific floor, otherwise you get nothing. Overall it's fun, but it has too many systems that work against eachother to make the game harder than it should/needs to be.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand the criticism of the Pit. How is not finding the gear you need any different than whatever unfair bullshit happens to ruin your run in another roguelike?

You start with very limited equipment which deteriorates as you use it, usually at a rate faster than you acquire new equipment unless you win the lottery and find the right set of items to craft with AND a crafting station while also knowing the recipe (or looking it up on the wiki). Said crafting stations are rare (cooking ones not so much) and you can actually fail to craft anything at all and destroy said mats unless you have been investing skill points into the specific skill needed to craft it (and you likely will not have the skill to have a decently high chance of crafting it, even with items to boost it further).

Also another problem with equipment degradation in it is that armour breaks incredibly fast. This is a very bad thing because the odds are already very much against you and the rarity of equipment/crafting mats I mentioned before. Not all characters can wear the same kind of armour either and it'll drop regardless of whom you pick. There's even one character that dies over time if it isn't wearing specialized armour because it's a space dolphin that's dehydrating. Good luck finding replacement armour that's one of the few it can wear AND not die from exposure. (To be fair, it's a very fun hero to play as, but if you lose your armour, you have probably lost the game, even more so with the psychic space dolphin).

But yeah, in games like ADOM where your sword of +8d8 bullshit can be destroyed, it at least has the decency to drop weapons and armour regularly.

The Pit can be fun, but it's designed to be unfair which makes bad luck a death sentence.

Also been playing Caves of Qud and looking at all the mutations. I laughed a little when I looked at the beak mutation's description of "occasionally peck opponents". Still debating making Goro or a bird man, also wish I could take more than one negative mutation, then again that could make things get a little crazy.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Today in Caves of Qud I learned that steam created from evaporating water with fire is very hot, lethally so.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

FTL is RNG, doo dah, doo dah
win or lose roll 1d3, all the doo dah day

It's what winter breaks are made for! Make roguelikes!

I love this thread and am openly sappy about it. Who'd have thunk a sweatmoist hive of goons would hide a magical repository of roguelike knowledge, for players, hobbyists, and developers... and no one is a giant piece of poo poo! Amen.

:siren:Merry Crushmas:siren:
It's a holiday in Dungeonmans so get to crushing those monsters!*

*please content update work correctly

QUIT KILLING MY MANS

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

MrWillsauce posted:

Thanks to Unormal for mentioning Alphaman. I love Gamma World and Caves of Qud, and this game is great. It's not balanced at all and it's really really goofy, just like a Gamma World roguelike should be. I found and I identified a "kevorkian machine". Predictably, it euthanized me on use. Every new mutant is a voyage of discovery. Still not sure what the porta-potty does.

You poop in it, silly.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, I have an important question about Caves of Qud.

Is it pronounced Cud?

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I want a Dungeonmans expansion with mutations and bionic implants.

Alternatively, I want bionic implants and a crab claw mutation in caves of qud. Also tentacles.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Qud does have cybernetic implants. One of the perks of True Men is that they can use cybernetics while mutants can't.

You find them by reaching the bottom of Bethesda Susa

Shows how little I've played of it so far.

Also good to know that there's one perk to being a normie!

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Tried playing ADOM again today after a long time hiatus and playing more caves of qud.

Jesus christ, gently caress the controls. I know months ago I was bitching about them being all over the place, but more than ever now is it glaring how terrible they are.

On another note, I hope caves of qud gets more mutations and possibly more cool stuff for normies. I've been thinking of some stuff that'd be kinda cool to have in it, like:

- Having a biological beehive take up your back! I know there's already an wearable version, but I was figuring this could work like that but also have an active where you send your bees to attack an area, basically a weak aoe. Maybe have a downside where if you get submerged in water, you start getting stung to death (guess where I got this entire idea from!)

- Pincers. Like a pair of crab claws that do bonus unarmed damage and let you grapple/vice grip enemies. Also add in unarmed combat so I can recreate Goro in this.

- Front pouch. Like a kangaroo. Except of human flesh. Bonus carrying capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Dr. Dos posted:

I have a mediocre ADOM game going as a dark elf chaos knight going. Found a ring shop on D13 and got my hopes up for a ring of djinni summoning (what would the odds be) and got nothing.

First room of the next floor: Ordinary ring just lying there.

Second room of that same floor: Worn boots

:stonk:

(I'm dirt poor and tried to convert an altar with live sacrifice and so a minute before all this had my entire inventory cursed)

Edit: This was such a given I'm not even the least bit upset that it happened.

RIP in peace. If it makes you feel any better, I've had nearly every pair of 7LB destroyed within minutes of finding them.

I think my game has a foot fetish.