Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

How do you cook raw meat in Qud? I know I've seen jerky being sold but I haven't found a way to turn raw into anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Harminoff posted:

Hey cool finally a watchable Let's Play of Qud.

I'll say this about Qud's UI, at least it's stream friendly. I've got it followed on Twitch and it's been fun to watch people learning the game. Can't say the same for Cogmind, unfortunately.

Oh, and here's a real edge case Qud issue: If I bind O to Move Left because I'm trying to set up left hand movement on a Dvorak keyboard I can't trade. O to offer doesn't work.

I'm the usability testing nightmare your mother warned you about.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Overwined posted:

Are we talking about the Unity Launcher window being too tall? If so, the image files is there. I just checked 3 installs that used the Unity Launcher and for each of them there's a file in there called ScreenSelector.png. You can delete this with no repercussions and it'll fix the problem.

Demon doesn't have a launcher and runs in a fixed 900-ish pixel tall window.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Running With Spoons posted:

Should I get cryptark or starward rogue? They seem quite similar.

Cryptark is less about having perfect bullet dodging skills and more about planning and executing your route well. Someone described it as space hulk heists and I think that's accurate. You can usually see the whole layout before you start and you're under pressure both from the cash bonus timer and just the way enemy spawners and subsystems work. It's a pretty stressful game.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Benly posted:

Kenka Banchou is the "Badass Rumble" series about fighting high-school tough dudes, apparently Kenka Banchou Otome is a spinoff where you date the delinquents?

Kamaitachi no Yoru is a famous murder mystery game and the game that spawned the "novel game" genre that visual novels descend from. I'm actually more interested in seeing an English release of it, partly because there's no English release and Shiren already has some pretty decent English releases, including the most recent installment for PS Vita.

There's an English iOS version of Kamaitachi no Yoru: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/banshees-last-cry/id740139977?mt=8

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gibbo posted:

I'm not looking for other suggestions. I have tome. I was just semi interested in that one. I also find the idea of naming it brogue as a way of insinuating it is "pleb friendly" loving disgusting.

lol what

It's called Brogue because the author is named Brian Walker and it's Brian's Rogue.

edit: I just realized his name is Walker and a brogue is a type of shoe

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 22, 2016

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

As much as I want Slayer Shock to be good I can't recommend it right now. The game has all these systems like stealth, element resistances and weaknesses, debuff weapons, perks ... and you don't need any of it, even on Expert season 5. All you need to do is sprint and circle strafe without stopping and the entire game falls apart. Even the Rescue missions which are supposed encourage stealth because vampires will try to kill hostages when they see you can be beaten this way. Then if you DO use weapons the vampires are weak to they get constantly stunned, making them even more trivial to fight. It all feels like the game was never playtested.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The agile bracelet and silver katana are broken but you don't even need them. I just made it to Expert S4 finale with no upgrades, bracelets, and just using the stake before being killed because the Finale was in Old Town which has pillars that make it harder to fight in. Vampires don't go after hostages until they're wounded (they heal from them) so as long as you run and tag the hostage first you're fine. If you really wanted to cheese it you would lose everything but the farmland map since that's the easiest one.

I did notice this time there's an option to turn the minimap off which goes a long way to make the game harder. What it really needs though is a stamina meter.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

I really fuckin hate anime/chibi/ that art style tbqh

I had a fine time with FFT

If you like robuts try the Front Mission series. 3 on the Playstation is one of the best SRPGs.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

This sounds great except I pretty much game on the PC these days :negative:

If you game on the PC these days you have a PC powerful enough to emulate PS/PS2/Gamecube/Wii games, but that's another thread.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Sounds like the way turns and interrupts are decided in the JRPG series Grandia, though that still relies on dice rolls.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Fayk posted:

Yeah in my case it's just going north the two or whatever overmap squares or the intervening space (one time I walked a few screens north without using the overmap from town, loaded new zone and boom, dead).

Glad to hear it's not working as intended.

For what it's worth these characters weren't some emaciated 8 toughness ego lord, it they were like toughness 20 or something etc. But again, I barely know the game since...dead.

I realize that this isn't the same as some powergamed/tweaked character by someone who knows what ads/disads are really worth it, etc.

I don't walk to the starting dungeons any more because of this. Buy Mehmet's stack of vinewafers and use the overworld map. You know that there will be at least some cover to fight around and more or less what enemies will be there. Walking the normal way sometimes spawns a champion in an open plain that vaporizes you.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I can only hope things come full circle and Lover's Lab starts making mods for WASTED.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Played 90 minutes of MidBoss and currently have a run on floor five. The possession mechanic is fun and ends up being a sort of pseudo job-system thing because you can equip powers from other forms you've mastered with some limitations. I'm just using default settings but I appreciate the amount you can tune the difficulty.

The only thing I really don't like is the cratefish mechanic. You get rewards for tediously smashing dozens of crates, and the rewards can be extremely good. Inventory management when there's a bunch of stuff on the floor is also not great.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

John Lee posted:

I kept up sporadically with MidBoss during development, and i liked everything I saw except the introduction of an equipment system. I liked the skill mix-and-matching and stats derived from your form, and not the weirdness of finding a sword and some boots that also gave some stats. Where did the finished version land on that? Is the equipment less weird?

Equipment with random stats is still there and is important. The monster forms only give stat multipliers to your base stats so a lot rides on finding good equipment.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 27, 2017

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Dang, we were just gung ho for Cogmind's Steam release but it looks like it's going to be delayed due to injury:

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/873350722414182400

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

madjackmcmad posted:

I think in this case it's a bruised ego overreacting on twitter. I've been there. Does anyone here know @enichan? If this is his/her/their first shipping rodeo, there's some science that could be dispensed in order to help.

This is their first Steam release and they're having the usual frustration with the review system. MidBoss is getting updates to improve the inventory and such so it's not like they're going to stop making it accessible. See also Unormal having a long discussion on Twitter the other day about accessibility not always making your game better for your target audience despite spending a lot of time making Qud's interface way more friendly.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I will say I wish that there were modern controllers with four shoulder buttons, instead of two shoulder buttons and two technically-analog trigger buttons. Practically nobody makes use of the analog triggers in any meaningful way, so they just become an extra two set of shoulder buttons, except with more resistance.

Also, those crappy circle-based D-pads are awful. The PS2 controller was the ideal for me in terms of ergonomics.

A Wii U Pro Controller with the Mayflash adapter that makes it appear as an XBox controller is what you want my friend. The "triggers" are just digital buttons and it has a real D-pad. It's my favorite controller available for the PC right now.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Serephina posted:

All reviews are equally counted (barring free/beta copies). The system to vote things up/down is generally useful to find honest critiques of a game, but it's still important to have a high positive % as it's the very first things ppl see.

It's also a factor in whether the game ends up in people's front page or discovery queue which is a huge deal to tiny developers. It's why the new charts are such a joke. They don't matter if no new players ever see the game.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I'm enjoying Cultist Simulator but a lot of the fun seems to be figuring out how it works. I don't really see myself replaying it too much. It's the most unique game I've played in a while and for that I like it.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gobbeldygook posted:

In their previous game Sunless Sea the way to deal with this was to edit the game's ini files so you could skip the hours of grinding and get to the story, so hopefully someone will figure out how to do that in this game.

There's no figuring it out, there's a button in the options menu that opens up an explorer window to your plaintext save files. You can save scum, edit your table, or the decks cards are drawn from.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

How can you call yourself a roguelike when you don't even come with a boob mousepad, I mean geeze.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

LordSloth posted:

Huh. We talking about the same game?
https://www.eldritchgame.com/

It’s entirely possible since I missed Quake and bunny hopping back in that decade. And hadn’t even thought to approach it like that.

Yeah, Eldrich presents itself as a game you should carefully stealth and conserve resources in, but if you just mash your knife and bunny hop and circle strafe like you just don't care you can trivialize a lot of it. It feels like the developer didn't think to approach it that way and consider what happens, either.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

A friend was lamenting the lack of Lufia 2 Ancient Cave style ROM hacks when there are a million randomizers out now. There's the old FF5 one, but not much else. It got me looking for any quasi-roguelikes that were similar but it doesn't seem like a very well explored variation. The Siralim games came to mind. Anyone think of some other games that combine procgen dungeoning and JRPG mechanics? I'm looking for a summer coding project and might try making a little job-based one myself for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

LordSloth posted:

I had no idea Din’s Legacy left early access last year. I’m not sure I want to play another game in that particular sub genre on ARPG, but the concept of that dev constantly fascinate me. Anyone with some interesting tales from the latest iteration, or some interesting LPs/YouTube videos? My twitch category filling is completely broken, so no clue if anyone plays it.

I play all of Soldak's stuff, but the concept behind this one is random mutations that give you skills or modify random skills in your tree, which is not exactly thrilling for a genre where planning out your character is part of the appeal. I've also repeatedly run into issues with the map generation where an objective just seems to be impossible to reach.