Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i know people who are specifically more interested in the game now that they know the cast of characters is a deliberate choice, so hopefully there's more than enough to counter the idiots who are weird about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

probably not gonna get cogmind since i bought a used car the other day to replace my 20+ year old one whose transmission decided to die, but i've been telling all my roguelike friends who i got into qud about it

grats on the release

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Toadsmash posted:

Nuclear Throne is like the gold standard of video games that "get" how massive a difference strong tactile feedback to player inputs makes to how a game plays. I hope that game is held up as an example for people who are studying this poo poo for a living.

one of the devs even did a 45 minute talk about it and why it's important. it's a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dungeon crawl is like if you've been roughly shoved into a washing machine full of an assortment of sponges and various bricks and at first it felt like you were sorta safe from the bricks due to the sponges blocking things but the hodgepodge of devs has decided to improve the player experience over time by slowly removing the sponges and in some cases adding more bricks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lil hunter is absolutely 100% a scenario where you have to put the game's motto of KILL QUICK into action or else your chances of dying grow exponentially larger with each passing second

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A game does not have to consist solely of ~meaningful decisions~ to be a good game. Atmosphere, pacing, tension, climaxes, etc. all contribute meaningfully to the play experience even if they don't necessarily manifest as decisions made by the player.

yeah, when you have a game that's as abstracted as the typical roguelike is, little thematic details are what can really pull people in and set a solid mood for the game in general. if someone focuses hard on just cutting out everything but mechanical decisions then the underlying structure better be drat good in itself or i'm not going to care about it all that much when i can just play another game that actually cultivates a healthy atmosphere.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

literally nothing anyone says about adom makes me want to actually try playing it

except maybe the weird chaos knight stuff but if i want to be a cool mutant or whatever i can just play caves of qud and have a cooler setting to boot

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's me, I'm the IVAN shill

ivan is actually great because it's pretty upfront about how much of an rear end in a top hat it is and has a bunch of weird and cool systems going on

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Angry Diplomat posted:

My efforts have borne fruit.

ivan is pretty much the right way to do a dumb, bullshit roguelike where working past the layers of bullshit is inherently part of the play experience. also walking on glass until your legs fall off so you can wish for new ones never gets old

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nuclear throne is pretty much a distillation of what makes a game feel good to actually play and it has actually interesting gameplay on top of that

i also recommend cryptark for sure. it's less of a crapshoot ever since they did some balance patches

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FLASHYN

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Infra Arcana with another substantial sweeping update to v19.2

https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home

everyone should be playing infra arcana because it's a great example of keeping things streamlined while still including an absolute shitload of flavor

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Synthbuttrange posted:

*downloads infra arcana*

*stares at the abbreviated name*

:whatup:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just play doomrl

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've always been of the opinion that crawl should have avatars of the gods as optional endgame challenges to fight but lmao nothing like that would ever happen especially since late game is still a dumpster fire

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the #1 biggest thing to be mindful of in infra arcana is that if you can avoid fighting something then you should always do as such, since killing things grants no exp at all and at worst you're going to be wasting resources from fighting

also make sure to destroy zombie corpses by attacking/kicking them the moment you get a chance, and if you have a decent melee weapon equipped then it can be easily done in a single turn since some are better than others at doing it. it can be worth it to take a turn to destroy a corpse over attacking another zombie since your main goal is to limit the overall threat against you and having them keep popping up won't do you any favors. with insanity-related stuff you always want to reserve your lantern for dark areas and use it to mitigate the drain from being in those places. keeping it down also plays into avoiding enemies since they will stress you out more and more. as long as you can keep your building % from hitting 100 then you can avoid getting the more 'permanent' % stacked onto you and part of the game is keeping an eye on that by not wasting way too much time on one floor or loving about with spooky things super often. a thing to keep in mind is that if you go down a floor then the initial, building percentage is dropped to 0

i'm not an expert by any means but a good bit of staying alive in the game is managing your overall situation instead of focusing on trying to do everything possible

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

LawfulWaffle posted:

That's good advice. It occurred to me while I was typing the previous post that the rewards for killing things was limited to the few items cultists drop. I didn't know about destroying corpses; that will save me some heartache.

yeah, occasionally you get stuff like grave dust from zombies which can be useful, but a lot of the good stuff is going to come directly from the static things like bookshelves or chests or whatever, if not already sitting on the floor. also i can't imagine not knowing about destroying bodies, make sure to look that up in the commands. when using the kick or whatever on a body it'll automatically use your melee weapon for the task if it's better at it, iirc

the game used to have it where killing things gave exp but one of the major recent-ish patches shifted it fully away from that. now most of your early exp for sure will come from identifying potions and scrolls along with seeing new monsters. the obelisks that spawn always give 15% of a level, i think

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's always the issue with games along these lines where if you can't often get to a certain point then you're not going to be very well prepared to deal with it when you actually do manage to make it

not sure if there's a clean solution to it, but, whatever

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

well, is it worth a poo poo?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

speaking of cogmind, i just got it and i already love how crunchy everything feels

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all parts are just more rungs on the ladder to your freedom

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cogmind reminds me a lot of infra arcana in a good way. both of those games approach progression by having it so that you're not tied to grinding for experience or anything of the sort. you're managing resources to just get you farther in the game, and each bit of progress you make feels a lot more significant than, say, just reaching a new area in crawl or something of the sort. the direction you go and how you approach each encounter (sometimes by not approaching it at all) has a much higher impact on your character's wellbeing than most other roguelikes. in tome 4 for example, 99% of what you fight is garbage and you pretty much never have to care about the specifics when going up against that 99%. in cogmind, even a single encounter with an enemy can possibly lead to catastrophic results if you haven't set things in your favor.

part of me just really enjoys the idea of character progression not being tied to grinding exp from enemies or whatever

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in cogmind, every robot there exists to be another potential source of parts and also functions as an extension of the environment itself. depending on the weapons you use you can try to preserve the integrity of the parts enemies are using so you can take them for yourself once they're dismantled, or just use something like a rocket launcher and watch as patches of junk get zorched out of existence along with the surrounding infrastructure. in the meanwhile, extra little bots will scoot out and begin rebuilding areas while scooping up debris, giving the setting this neat feeling like you're inside of a living hive even though pretty much everything is inorganic

in infra arcana there's a lot to be said for enemies heavily adding to the atmosphere, which is one of the game's strong points. you also do get experience from seeing new creatures, and there's also the factor of their presence tying into the insanity mechanic by ramping up the percentage gain of it that will bump up your more deep-rooted, semi-permanent percentage that carries added negatives to it. the presence of creatures carry an intrinsic weight in how they shape the way you interact with the game and collect things to mitigate their impact on you specifically.

overall it comes off as more interesting when you stop seeing fights as your source of leveling up. i think gear starts coming more into play in these settings, partially to aid in avoiding fights entirely or to tip the balance in your favor if you do have to end up fighting. in both examples i've given, exploration is pretty much the #1 source of getting stronger and you have to balance how much exploring you'll do with how much you can push yourself in relation to the various hazards. like, in cogmind for example, the only way to get back core integrity is to go up a staircase and to a new level, and is also when you'll evolve to be able to add more slots which are what determine your strength. in a game where enemies give you your exp then the exploring takes a mild sideline to the idea that you have to go into every corner anyways to hoover up what scraps you can, with little thought given to whether or not you actually need to go somewhere. even with all of the options available to me in it, i find myself bouncing off games like tome 4 more often these days since they try to distill the experience down to just different flavors or dropping hit points to 0 on something, with less time put into the actual backdrop for where it's taking place.

part of the reason why i enjoy caves of qud so much is because the world has a lived-in feeling and comes off like it's not built for the player specifically, even if it has a system where your exp mostly comes from defeating enemies. there's a good balance going on. ultimately it's going to come down to personal taste, like most things, but picking up cogmind has gotten me thinking about the idea as a whole.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Serephina posted:

Hey man, I adore Metroid, Castlevania, and modern genre equivalents such as Hollow Knight. I can't help it if I went from "This is gorgeous and I want it!" to seeing red flags all over their sales pitch. It's no biggie, I can just wait for release. I'm just still salty that I played all the way through Borderlands2 and it's ilk.

hey

take it from someone who literally owns dead cells and has played it quite a lot, and heavily enjoys things such as oldschool castlevania games which dead cells is actually heavily reminiscent of

you're being really loving weird here about a game you seem to not know anything about

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it genuinely plays like someone condensed oldschool castlevania gameplay into a frantic bite-sized run that throws a bunch of varied gear at you as you go along so you have to adapt to your situation

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at the very least levelgen is definitely something that can be improved over time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also refunds exist on steam these days

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's genuinely kind of hard to put why dead cells feels good to play into words, because the genre has had so many duds over the years that it feels like anything i say will just come off like some bullshit people won't take seriously

usually i really do just settle on 'it feels like an oldschool castlevania game condensed into short, mostly-randomized runs'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i picked up monolith the other day and this feels like a better version of binding of isaac that isn't a bloated piece of crap and has actually engaging gameplay

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it helps a lot that even with the basic cannon in monolith i don't feel weak. you're not waiting for some hugely overpowered item combo to carry you through the game and having some weird amalgamation of traits that makes a weapon fire all over the screen still won't make you any better at dodging bullets

when i beat something it feels like i earned it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RyokoTK posted:

I’m really bad at shmups and after getting roasted by the Overlord four times on consecutive runs I got really discouraged by the half-hour runback and gave up.

It’s a good game but man that’s one tough boss.

i would say that once you've beaten the overlord it absolutely doesn't get any easier from there

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as counterintuitive as it sounds you kind of have to start unfocusing your vision a little bit if you want to get a wider view of what's going on. kind of like when you're juggling. if you try to look at any individual ball then your attention will get divided too much and you might mess up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a thing i like about monolith is that if there's a drop for clearing the room then it'll disappear if you leave. there's no trying to save stuff for later or having to remember where things are when you need them.

a cool thing to go along with that is you always get some sort of benefit from every drop, even if it doesn't directly apply to you at the moment. any ammo pickups if you're using the basic cannon get turned into salvage. extra bombs if you're full up get turned into it as well. even health drops act as pieces of heart containers if you're at full life. the only exception to all of this is if you're willingly ignoring all weapons for the achievement, in which case max ammo drops are useless, but you're kind of setting yourself up for that anyways.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you really do need to be proactive with the dodge instead of reactive unless you have the blink upgrade. it's not going to magically save you once you're already up poo poo creek but hopefully you can use it to keep from getting up there in the first place.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doomrl can be reliably beaten on one of the easier endings by a person who's newer to roguelikes if they play on a difficulty like 'hurt me plenty', so i would recommend it for getting used to the genre

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doomrl is also lenient enough that someone can do an angel of berserk run pretty early on without being an expert. for those not in the know, angel of berserk restricts the character to only using melee weapons in a game where a good chunk of the enemies have ranged attacks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dogstile posted:

To follow up on DoomRL, i've been playing it on hurt me plenty (whatever is next up from easiest) and managed to complete the arena with 4% health left, so now i've got a pretty bitchin' rocket launcher. Granted i'm only a few levels in (work laptop, playing on breaks) but its super accessible.

I worked out corner shooting on my own, strafing is new info but I assume its just "move when you think they'll be trying to shoot you".

basically if you've just moved then any shots fired at you from an angle that's roughly perpendicular-ish to the direction you just moved will have a higher chance of missing as long as it's an actual projectile. so if you're facing down an enemy then scooting towards them in diagonals or shifting to the sides will improve your chances of not getting hit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What non-realtime roguelikes have good opening levels? I know there are some where what you find early on can have long-term ramifications about what builds are possible or whatever, but I mean an opening level where the player is engaged and making decisions and having fun comparable to any arbitrary point later in the game.

infra arcana. every floor is important and how you interact with your surroundings is just as important there as it is later on. there's no tabbing through trash enemies or ramming autoexplore repeatedly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

adom is very much exactly the definition of that, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Slime posted:

Basically this. Fulsome distillation and exploding potions was such a fun thing to gently caress around with, why the hell was it ever removed?

they got around to removing the lovely, awful potions and there's literally no reason to keep them around just for a pair of spells that was fiddly and annoying to use for multiple reasons. out of literally everything removed from crawl i don't miss those.