Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

actually you dont give a poo poo about any of that because you wind up with thousands of casts of a spell

i'm sure you're right but it also kind of sounds like you're encouraging me to play ADOM and that instantly makes you suspect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm sure you're right but it also kind of sounds like you're encouraging me to play ADOM and that instantly makes you suspect

Every single person here is an apologist for some bad game.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Dark Elf bards are amazing since you have Alertness and Find Weakness baked into the cake, so you can hope for rolling other skills like Dodge, Athletics, etc. I had a DE bard roll every good skill in the game and he proceeded to steamroll. Then again I'm weird and prefer playing elves over any other race in ADOM.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Serephina posted:

Gotta be careful with those various race assumptions! Someone might have read the same fantasy novels/games as you and form the same preconceptions, or have something entirely different. Take for example trolls. Are they hideous? Very Strong? Quickly regenerating? Green? Voracious appetite? Turned into stone from the sun? Depends! This is a really big deal with presenting races as a player choice during character creation, and what tropes you wish do adopt.

Fwiw, the only "Dark Elves are good assassins" that I personally am familiar with is Warhammer: Fantasy. Otherwise my guess would have been evil sorcerers.

Everquest lore rules 4 lyfe

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

all i ask is that people complain about adom's real problems. the foremost of which is that it's too easy, and i'm too strong, good, and handsome.

on the real it suffers from the normal roguelike difficulty curve stuff of hard earlygame, and then you hit midgame and you should ideally never die ever. the current cool kids joke is that if you cleared the UD you've won the game and it's really not entirely wrong. also level 1 ambushes and traps are annoying and 90s roguelike as hell and gently caress 'em

there's also a shitload of popcorn enemies. elemental resists are extremely strong, which probably contributes to that. also every character (except certain classes) wants the same gear: the biggest most damaging one handed weapon you can find (so Big Punch in 90% of games), the biggest shield you can find, and the biggest armor you can find. bump attack the popcorn, use spells or slaying missiles on scary things you don't want to melee. have i mentioned that spells and missiles are overpowered yet because they are.

and why the hell are monks better at using gigantic two handed weapons than barbarians? biskuuup

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

uhhh play adom though, people. try it out! it's fun! lots of flavor, fun to learn. the keybinds are occasionally stupid but it's cool!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

literally nothing anyone says about adom makes me want to actually try playing it

except maybe the weird chaos knight stuff but if i want to be a cool mutant or whatever i can just play caves of qud and have a cooler setting to boot

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

It's true, I am the resident apologist for Incursion :)

I personally found playing an archer of whatever race to be the most satisfying adom experience

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the vibe i get about adom from discussion in this thread is basically the same as smoking- if you havent started already for the love of god dont start now

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hi, I'm the guy that likes Marathon Infinity a lot.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Johnny Joestar posted:

literally nothing anyone says about adom makes me want to actually try playing it

except maybe the weird chaos knight stuff but if i want to be a cool mutant or whatever i can just play caves of qud and have a cooler setting to boot
This is 100% how I feel about it as well, so you're not alone brother.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Hi, I'm the guy that likes Marathon Infinity a lot.

He said bad games, not games that are cool and good

Also, this is the roguelikes thread, not the retro FPS thread, although now I'm wondering what a Mar@thon would look like.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Furious Angels is a modern classic.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dredmor's chargen still needs somebody to use it in a better game

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Every time I play ADOM I end up getting caught up in some optimisation loop like the stupid altars and piety or the stupid never killing any cat, or the finding that original blinking dog or whatever so I can eat it.

I'd be tempted to play if I knew none of that poo poo really mattered, that you don't have to bother with altars at all, that killing a couple of cats is no biggie and that not having blick from a dog corpse isn't an issue. However, all the stuff I read about it indicates the opposite.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's me, I'm the IVAN shill

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Angry Diplomat posted:

He said bad game.

Tollymain posted:

The dual class system in Titan Quest and Grim Dawn is close enough for me, but yeah I'd like to see more of that sort of open-ended combining.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

Every time I play ADOM I end up getting caught up in some optimisation loop like the stupid altars and piety or the stupid never killing any cat, or the finding that original blinking dog or whatever so I can eat it.

I'd be tempted to play if I knew none of that poo poo really mattered, that you don't have to bother with altars at all, that killing a couple of cats is no biggie and that not having blick from a dog corpse isn't an issue. However, all the stuff I read about it indicates the opposite.

you absolutely don't need the cat ring to win at all just kill every cat you see, you can just use the name feature on the blink dog so you can't lose track of it, you can ignore altars past getting the like first level of piety so you can bless water until you get 90k gold and then just crown instantly.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Happylisk posted:

Dark Elf bards are amazing since you have Alertness and Find Weakness baked into the cake, so you can hope for rolling other skills like Dodge, Athletics, etc. I had a DE bard roll every good skill in the game and he proceeded to steamroll. Then again I'm weird and prefer playing elves over any other race in ADOM.

My first full win was with a Dark Elf Paladin - All the skills you need right from the start, two weapon combat, dodge, athletics, healing, first aid, concentration, literacy, plus find weakness and alertness from the Dark Elf side.

Also at ch level 40 you get strength & toughness drain immunity, which is what got my other potentials killed in the endgame.

Human thief was more fun to play though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Angry Diplomat posted:

ivan is actually great because it's pretty upfront about how much of an rear end in a top hat it is and has a bunch of weird and cool systems going on

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Goffer posted:

My first full win was with a Dark Elf Paladin - All the skills you need right from the start, two weapon combat, dodge, athletics, healing, first aid, concentration, literacy, plus find weakness and alertness from the Dark Elf side.

Also at ch level 40 you get strength & toughness drain immunity, which is what got my other potentials killed in the endgame.

Human thief was more fun to play though.

two weapon combat is really bad, even for rangers who are based around it. rest of that poo poo is right though, dark elf paladins have absolutely insane skills and start with elven chainmail so they're pretty sick.

secret cool paladin pick is orc because they start with an everburning torch, the rarest item in the game. rarer than wands of wishing i swear.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

KeeperRL is not a bad game... just unpolished and vaguely unfinished. Who wouldn't defend a game that takes a monster that's gotten the Twilight treatment and makes this sprite for them though???

e: Did I mention they can kill dwarves without a head or legs and are only brought down once they've lost most of their limbs? Well, yes, but it was too long and I know you didn't read it so I'll say it again.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 3, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tollymain posted:

Whatever else you can say about Dredmor, a thing it does well is that every level feels like it has some impact in terms of choices and power progression because most of the skills in the game give you a new option in combat. A level isn't like +3 hp and +2 mp, see you next level. Unless you pick a crafting skill, in which case 90% of the time it means you only got stats.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Pacra posted:

It's true, I am the resident apologist for Incursion :)

Incursion is an awesome game, even with all the bugs which is a testament to how amazing it is.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

He said bad game.

Johnny Joestar posted:

ivan is actually great because it's pretty upfront about how much of an rear end in a top hat it is and has a bunch of weird and cool systems going on

My efforts have borne fruit.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Are they bananas?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Any good roguelikes on Android that aren't the Pixel Dungeon variants or Sproggiwood?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

gearhead 2 offers a really unique experience and is close to a gundam roguelike we will ever get!!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Floodkiller posted:

Are they bananas?

Just appeel.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

Any good roguelikes on Android that aren't the Pixel Dungeon variants or Sproggiwood?

Hoplite and MicRogue are my go-to portable roguelike recommendations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

gearhead 2 offers a really unique experience and is close to a gundam roguelike we will ever get!!

I tried this, and after having nonsense conversations with some people and knife-fighting a bunch of dinosaurs in a basement, I became hopelessly confused and gave up.

Sage Grimm posted:

Just appeel.

One day you will ascend Peel Mountain and answer to the banana gods.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Floodkiller posted:

Are they bananas?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I played ADOM and its uh.

If you held a gun to my head and told me to call it good I would hope I would maintain enough integrity to die with honor. But sometimes, I actually like playing an idiosyncratic mess. I think I called it charming in the same way an amusement park with zero safety regulations is, and, you'll probably hate a lot of it and experience actual real pain that signals creation of scar tissue on inside of your skull as you continue to play, but its also something real, like, you get so used to the idea of a game being meant to be enjoyable and fun and fair that its okay sometimes to learn that they can also be misery simulators and somehow still cause you to want to play more of it. Playing it lets you develop a hatred of conways game of life, and a grim understanding of just how likely a one in twenty chance is when it comes to fire damage.

also yeah you can be a rat person which is, come to think of it, surprisingly novel somehow

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 3, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Angry Diplomat posted:

ivan is pretty much the right way to do a dumb, bullshit roguelike where working past the layers of bullshit is inherently part of the play experience. also walking on glass until your legs fall off so you can wish for new ones never gets old

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

ivan is pretty much the right way to do a dumb, bullshit roguelike where working past the layers of bullshit is inherently part of the play experience. also walking on glass until your legs fall off so you can wish for new ones never gets old

The first time I discovered you can get replacement limbs from gods was when I prayed to the knowledge god or whatever because I was about to die to a skeleton, and he gave me a paper arm which immediately got sliced off.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The first time I discovered you can get replacement limbs from gods was when I prayed to the knowledge god or whatever because I was about to die to a skeleton, and he gave me a paper arm which immediately got sliced off.

If you'd had the other arm chopped off, he would have given you a giant pen for the other and you might have had a fighting chance. Shame.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I got to unreal caverns (lvl 42 human fighter with lvl15 polearm spear of devastation and vanquisher) and got paralyzed to death by mimic hivemind. I was cursed and didnt know it. Must have killed a karmic enemy in my big room slaughterfest. :(

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Cardinal Quest 2 is the best mobile roguelike. it might be a little simple if you're used to the sprawl of desktop roguelikes, but there's a lot of different customization options to try out, so it should still last a while

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

And where working through those layers of bullshit will just help you get killed even harder thanks to the enemy scaling. God, I love IVAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Adventures in ADOM: spent a non-trivial amount of time in the Infinite dungeon scumming for spellbooks. On my way out I fell into a pit trap full of vipers. RIP that wizard.