Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The answer is to keep a spare weapon/shield/armor on hand when they start showing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Deliberately not taking one because I'm not hardcore enough to handle ASCII.
Same :(

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Eonwe posted:

need to play CoQ with tiles
hnnggggh

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Unormal just release so that I can give you my money hrrng

Rrussom posted:

D-Damnit, I always miss the keys to this
But you don't even have time for other games with the new hot Darkstar Boundsouls update :shrug:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

Always do Bill immediately. If you die, that character was apparently not baller enough :colbert:
This is seriously a code that I follow

When my char starts in the trollmire and can't beat bill right away, then the char is not meant for me. The next test are if I can beat the weirdling straight away(usually at lv 14), and Urkis shortly afterwards. Chars that failed these tests usually weren't successful later in my past games, so I just ditch them nowadays.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Ruins of Kor'pul aren't too bad although the boss is a big ol' cock if you don't use a pick to dig straight through his little wall and fight him up close (always do this) instead of letting him pelt you with murder spells while you plod towards him in the dark.
Look at this guy not having movement skills/cool regen/a shield rune/enough beef :smug:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Dwarf Bullwark for lyfe :black101:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Running With Spoons posted:

Only roguelike means tears the first time you meet the fearscape rear end in a top hat in the slime tunnels
gently caress that guy :colbert:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So are y'all still playing the secret goon qud?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Frankosity posted:

It needs to be like half as long overall, the dungeons need to be dropped to like 1-2 levels each, and enemy variety should really be dropped in favour of making individual enemies more distinct and challenging, instead of 40 types of snakes and rats that all die in 1 hit.
:agreed:

The Crooked Warden posted:

I've put more hours into ToME than all the other roguelikes I've dabbled in combined simply because I can't stand consumable management.
This, the open world and the class system are things that I really enjoy, but that first quote is 100% truth and a problem of the game that needs to be fixed at some point

The east is such a boring slog :(

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 6, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Huh, this sounds actually neat an extremely like my poo poo

Gonna keep an eye on this

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone that is cool like me and still plays Desktop Dungeons can rejoice!

Free update with new classes, quests, a daily challenge dungeon, and fixes :woop:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 20, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Stelas posted:

I should really get back to that, but I hit a difficulty wall in trying to break into the harder dungeon tiers or class challenges that I just couldn't seem to get past. Did they update the play-by-web client?
I have no idea! The steam update said it had a bunch of fixes and minor tweaks, but that those would be too boring to list in detail alongside the flashy stuff. It's just the style of the devs to be jokey like that.

Anyway, I can relate to the difficulty eventually getting you down. I'm sitting at all hard or vicious dungeons, and the solutions to those are really intricate and I don't seem to find the right ones. Tier 2 and up class challenges are kinda the same, but also add RNG in the sense that some require you to grind for the perfect run or get hosed. Thief challenge 2 is pure bullshit :(

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Tollymain posted:

I picked up Desktop Dungeons and I'm doing all right so far but I have a question: is the Dwarven racial ability as bad as it sounds? +1 HP doesn't sound anywhere near as good as +1 MP or +10% Damage

Tetrakarn posted:

Its one of the lesser racial abilities, but its more powerful than it sounds because that's +1 base HP which gets multiplied by a bunch.
This. The thing about Desktop Dungeons is that it gets incredibly intricate and hard once you get through the midgame, and you need to crunch numbers and work out pro strats to beat your tasks. Like, that +1 Hp doesn't sound very impressive on its own. But the trick is to use that with classes that have poor hp gain to make them skip ahead of the math, or with tanky classes that then can tank for real. The combat and xp math is super important! You basically want to look for a Lv2 kill right away, and keep killing at least 1lv above you to cash in the bonus xp. You will not survive the proper dungeons if you kill at your level, and beating the boss(or two bosses eventually) will likely be out of your reach. There really is a lot to say about how to play the game and what things you should do, but that would turn into a giant-rear end post. Just know that the +1hp can allow you to get that last hit in on an enemy that's maybe 2lvs above you without dying to it. Especially if you have the right glyphs or gods.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Unormal posted:

Here's some more Qud keys.
You already gifted me Sproggi, so I'll wait to buy Qud. Just wish I could buy it faster :)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Unormal posted:

If you guys are getting hot and heavy into turn-based permadeath WWII tank-on-tank action (which is a kind of steamy action I fully endorse), you guys should give SPWW a spin
How different is this from panzer General 2? Which also has perma death/upgrades for your units and a fuckton of user made campaigns+content

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Sounds neat, thanks for the info!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

I would definitely get in on a roguelike LP megathread.
Same

I missed getting in on the one Agent355 did but have some ideas kickin around

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Unfortunately the DLCs also add a bunch of enemies with pain-in-the-rear end abilities that require your character to be specialized in one or two particular ways in order to deal with them effectively, as well as dozens of useless ingredient widgets, food items, and (most frustrating of all, imo) weapons and armor with racial restrictions that make them either totally or effectively useless for characters of the "wrong" race, which you almost always are. Nothing quite like hacking an armor locker while wearing torn-up rags, succeeding and seeing something actually come out, only to find out it's a goop shell for tentacle whales from beyond space and your guy can't use it.

Basically I stopped playing SOTS:TP because it is a game where I can know that I am going to lose but it just takes me ages to get there.
The huge number of new and mostly race restricted items is also what made me stop playing. Especially after the depth got raised to 50 floors because 30 apparently wasn't enough for some reason? Thing is, the rng table is so bloated that your skill as a player hardly matters. Your run comes down to the key questions of 1: Did you get at least 1 good armor drop before floor 15? 2: Did you get at least one weapon with enough penetration to kill certain enemies and have ammo for it? If any of these two get answered with no, then you're just hosed and may as well start over. And that doesn't even take the rng on food or med supplies into account. Basically, the game is designed to be as grindy and unfair as possible, to make you play it for a long time. It's really simple business logic and not much else.

With that said, I really liked the original vanilla release, and would advise on playing that if you want to gently caress around with a space roguelike. It has only three classes and no fancy races or psy powers, but you can actually finsih a game once in a while because the rng table is much more narrow and fucks you less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

DeathBySpoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4pc_B8chs

Take a look at the first video of Roggle's gameplay, in which I play through the game's first depth. Development is pretty far along now, I'm going to start sharing it with videos more often. I use mouse controls in the video, but don't worry, full keyboard controls are already implemented.
Want