Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Got Sunless Sea in the sale and after playing a few hours and losing a few ships I'm surprised that I still find it tolerable despite the gameplay mostly consisting of going in one direction very slowly. Do better engines alleviate that? I got an upgrade once but didn't feel like I was going noticeable faster. And supposedly the stronger engines have worse fuel economy?

Edit: Wait there is a threat. Nvmd

genericnick fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Thirsty Dog posted:

It also removes restrictions on higher level guys doing lower level dungeons

Which helps with the grind because you don't need a full team of recruits to level the few you need on the higher difficulty.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there any reason to buy the steam version of Tangledep over the GoG?

Edit: Almost forgot how I used to hate DRM. GOoG all the way.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 21, 2017

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Great. Now someone tell me how not to suck at it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

• Target your loadout to cost roughly what the base ship reward is. You get bonuses on top of that so you'll still make money.
  • Always max your hull strength and bring some hull repairs. When you hit 0 health you go into slow-mo to give you a chance to use the repair. Using a repair (or bringing a repair and not needing it) is a lot less expensive than failing a mission.
  • You do get a time bonus for being quick, but spending extra time on a mission is a lot less expensive than dying because you tried to do the mission as fast as possible and therefore ignored taking out drones, turrets, hazards, factories, etc. Be methodical; most missions can be most easily done by systematically taking out modules and drones until the derelict has nothing left to fight you with.
  • Bring a spammy/AoE weapon (e.g. machinegun, shotgun, swarm missiles) and a strong weapon (e.g. grenade launcher or rocket). Use the first on small enemies, especially spikedogs, and the second on big enemies and ship modules. Other two weapon slots are up to you; if you're short on options/imagination, just double up on your first two weapons so you can dual-wield both of them.
  • Don't stress about optional objectives. If you can do them, great, but they're optional for a reason.
  • Nothing says you have to stay on the derelict after boarding it. Often the best route to your next destination is out an airlock, and then back in another airlock close to your objective.
  • Play the Rook, use its shield if you're pinned down or being chased by homing projectiles.

Thanks. Any suggestions on ship type to go for (colony, warship)?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

Grenades are my solution to just about everything in Cryptark.

Seems like it.
Final question: What's the point of artifacts? I think I sorta got a handle on the game but going for an artifact still splatters me all over the wall.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cryptark update:
Unlocked a door to destroy a door system, the second one re-locked it behind me, trapping me with no means of escape. On the next ship I hit a mine that shot me between the door system cover and deck leaving me unable to move.
The first time I notice bugs and they happen right after each other draining all my cash and ending my campaign. :arghfist:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dead Cells. Very fun. How extensive is it already? I only got to the bridge boss up till now, and it feels pretty polished. Will I run out of runway at some point like the later story areas of Qud if I for some reason stop sucking? Also I assume the turrets you can drop will get another pass over? It seems like you can cheese 95% of encounters by just dropping one and then cowering on a ledge.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

The latest update seems to have added an endgame, and you're not even halfway through what was available up to that point. As for turrets, they're pretty slow and the timed doors have really good poo poo in them.

True, but in my experience (only ever got the timed doors in the second biome) you get slightly more cells if you make the time limit but probably fall behind in power scrolls compared to taking the whole first region apart.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Dodge roll is your friend. You can use the relatively the same timing as shield parrying to avoid nearly every attack and it lets you go fast which is another key element of the game.

Power scrolls typically get put into Skill (purple) because the majority of the actives and ranged weapons (which take three of your four slots) increase in damage off that type. If you don't have that choice then Strength (red) is your alternative because of your melee weapon.

I think that at the very start you'd want more strength since you kill most things with your melee and starting range sucks. Once you unlock more cool stuff, purple is king.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

In the Breach is really fun. Went from just trying it out to losing the best part of a day. Won a four island victory, using the Blitzkrieg squad. Got a strom manipulator as a drop that allows you to move all units on the map one tile in one direction. Everything drowned.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The only thing I dislike about Into the Breach is that there is just this one four island campaign. The game mechanics are so neat that I want to throw them at bugs in a lot of different places.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What's everyone's favorite Into the Breach pilot? I'm partial to the one that is immune to nets.
Also, Hazardous Mechs are the best.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Absolutely. Similar to Fallen London, even though the gameplay isn't my favorite, if they keep filling it up with stuff I will very happily return to it for more sessions.

The saddest thing about Fallen London is that I would pay them so much money for a visual novel of their game, one that streamlines the grind, removes the turn limit, and just lets me read it. It'd be the best thing, and it hurts that it will be forever locked away behind that turn limit - as even giving them money only lets you get a second candle.

Very much this. I'm shaking my fist in impotent rage. The atmosphere and writing in Sunless Seas was right down my alley, but ten minute fragments is just not how I do books.

By the way: Opinions on Everspace?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Really loved it. 100%'ed it on a gamepad, didn't really regret any of it. There may be an initial steepness to the learning curve while you figure out the game's various mechanics (not particularly unusual for a Roguelite) but I do feel inclined to tell you that the game has an enormous enemy fleet relentlessly pursuing you as you play. In practical terms, this means that if you spend enough time in a given area, increasingly dangerous enemies will start jumping in to murder you. Think of it like Spelunky's ghost, or a real-time version of FTL's enemy fleet. Eventually you'll be able to use an item that will prevent this from happening, and there are various areas where the fleet will temporarily lose track of you (and honestly, once you adjust to the pace, hopefully you'll find that the enemy fleet timer isn't a huge deal like I did).

The DLC integrates into the base game by adding a new 4th ship (re: "class"), several new NPCs with sidequests, weapons, items, and...wildlife. So if you find yourself enjoying the game, you'll probably want to install it sooner than later. It'll probably go on sale during the Summer Steam Sale next week.

I can confidently say that it's one of the best 6-DoF Roguelites on the market. Whatever that's worth. Not exactly like there are a lot of them.

Sold. Was on sale on GoG which I prefer over Steam these days.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Not 100% sure this is the right thread for it, but some points on Star Crawlers? I run a (main) Smuggler, malware Hacker, Haiku Prototype and sentinel Void Guardian. Up to level 10 and I'm clearing missions without much trouble since the team is super tanky, but the fights are starting to take forever. I must admit I've been ignoring weapon upgrades, but it isn't super obvious that they would help. Is that just how the game goes?
Also, can someone explain hacking to me? If I use my deck at all the whole mission reward gets used for repairs.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Combat just kinda takes forever, that's how the game works. Upgraded weapons will help but most of the low tier upgrades are kinda meh. The big thing you want to do is try to kill things before they summon more help.

Hacking is a late addition to the game, it was supposed to be a full expansion pack, but I think they ran out of time and just added it to the base game for everyone. Haven't played a full Gabe since it was released, but it seems super unbalanced and not worthwhile at all.

Thanks, I feared that was going to be the answer. Decided to drop it after all. I just don't have that kind of patience anymore.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Take into account that when you retire a mans to be a teacher, it will only teach the skill you maxed first, so plan accordingly.

Feeling like an idiot now. I thought it was random.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Talking about Tangledeep: What are some good monsters to collect?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there some trick to capturing those? When I tried it wouldn't let me target it despite having only 10% health.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

not sure. the one i caught was through a wild untamed monster pack rumor, so maybe that's the only time it's possible to catch them

Worked for me this time for some reason.
Also does anyone know if the block and parry mechnics interact at all? First parry check then block check?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

andrew smash posted:

I kind of bounced off tangledeep the first time I tried it but I want to give it another go, it seems awesome. Is there a guide or quick advice for getting up to speed relatively quickly?

I just finished a run and I found the grappling hook from the ranger skillset and shieldslam from the paladin were some of the most useful skills to get. Even(especially) if you are close range you should carry a bow in your offhand. The first skill of the bow mastery tree is also a nice movement skill for when you get slightly nervous.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

andrew smash posted:

Offhand or slot 2? I put my bow in slot 2 and it seems to work fine. I assumed offhand was for shields or dual wielding.

I started a new game with a brigand class character as suggested, it seems fun so far. I think I was playing paladins before but I barely remember what was that was like. Apparently I last played it over a year ago.

Sorry, yeah. 2nd slot.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, if there is a log that goes back further than one turn I haven't found it. (Probably just an option I overlooked??). Was there an Emberspirit somewhere close? I think they have an elem. resistance down skill that can lead to pretty high damage. Both my high level deaths involved one of those fuckers and a hit of about 30+% health.
And job trials are probably the most dangerous part.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

On the other hand I buy quite a lot more games than I end up playing which I wouldn't if they were three times the price.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I had an item king on a trivial floor once that was resistant to everything summoned chaff and had a full heal. I only managed to beat it by a hair and it cost me my only elixir.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Isn't there a DLC in the works?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finally started on Everspace and I'm bad at video games. I got to sector 5 exactly once. I've spent all my credits on gunship unlocks so now I don't feel like I can really switch. I also have managed to bash myself to death in 3 of 4 of my tries at restarting one of those factories. In the other cases I just gave up. Is there some secret to getting Access Keys? I murder every hostile elite I find, but I still have to skip a lot of doors/secure containers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Appreciate the Everspace tipps. Still can't quit the Gunship. Sure, it has a tendency to batter itself to death on walls and it falls off fast against Mk3 fighters, but on the other hand it turns Corvette's into harmless loot pinatas. Damage Limiters stack with its inherent armor. And Mine Clusters are great for blowinh up transporters in the last node of a sector. I also aplreciate that you can have a sensor drone in addition to two combat.
That I should never open a secure container was the hardest lesson.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

Thanks to everyone who suggested the DLC for Everspace, picked it up for cheap during the summer sale and it has definitely added a lot of enjoyment to the game. Especially when you finish the G&B lady's side quests and it turns out she's a Okkar double agent who already tried to kill you twice. So I killed her, I wasn't sure the game was even going to let me hurt her. There are extra dialogue lines from both of you, she tells you "it's all over now" and you don't need to do this, you tell her it's time to finally retire, and her dialogue cuts out the instant you destroy her ship. Too bad she didn't drop any loot :(

I don't know, getting murdered just didn't feel like such a big deal.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think I'm done with Everspace. I finished only one run in the end, but I really don't feel like going on with the fetch quest. I did all the side quests except for the, I think, last scan quest. gently caress the okar trader. Overall pretty fun, but I spent too much time in the gunship which really turns into a deathtrap in the last sectors. On the other hand I feel like the stealth-leech scout build solves the game and grinding out the last few runs would probably be trivial.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Serephina posted:

There's kind of a boss fight at the end that you don't get the first time through. Are you sure you're done-done and there's literally an empty wasteland there?

I'm sure I'm not "done", but I'm done, because I don't feel like grinding out the last samples. Unless that somehow changes the overal game-loop.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there a more fitting thread to talk about Heaven's Vault? It's definitely not a rougelike but we tend to have a general indie bleed in.
Can anyone tell me if there are more options for the crown? I got it stolen the first round and then let Oroi fry it on the second.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh no, my wife and I gave it to our old friend for her to poke at it but haven't gotten back to pick it up yet, sounds like she destroys it!?

I'm not sure if there are any longterm consequences either way. The two ways I tried turned out mostly the same. I did screw up later in my second run by dropping the workers on Iox, which deprived me of the library in the end so I didn't manage to translate everything even on new game+.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I got Sproggiwood for the phone. Is there any difference tothe PC version?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I started Invisible Inc. for the first time. It is great fun and I'm terrible at it. I notice that there are augments that set a skill at 3. Is buying those at all worth it? I have no idea how long the capaign is, the longest I got was 4 missions in.
Edit: Same question about the anarchy skill tree. Seems like you'd need a lot of runs to get a payout.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 8, 2019

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

And finally beat Invisibl Inc. at least on Experienced. The Xu - Draco murder hobo combi carried me through everything. Just get a handgun at the earliest opportunity.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 15, 2019

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Enichan/status/1181390271805829123

Not surprised that humble makes little money for devs. I feel like I have to solve 20 re-captchers after a 10 factor authorization just to figure out what games I have in the library.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 8, 2019

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure that there's a True Man teleport now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I joined their discord, though not the site in the early days so I can't really speak of the quality or otherwise of the site or the moderation. Not the site because this accusation was already making it's rounds then. However, the version of events I got was basically the first part of this post:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

cuntallectual, who was literally just permabanned for being full of poo poo, decided "mods of a trans discord privately talking to each other about whether or not cuntellectual, who wanted an invite to said discord, was actually trans or full of poo poo" was outing them and filed a QCS post about it

the QCS thread did not have any action taken on it for 6+ months, until today, when renee decided it was extremely credible and definitely not because the individual accused is an admin of an existing offsite that's going to be a direct competitor of whatever the modmins are coming up with

And yet, the same admin that brought the accusations up earlier, also banned the user who originated the accusations for this post today:

Cuntellectual posted:

A lot of the times people accused me of stirring poo poo up but wasn't sure if I was just stupid, I was in fact just stirring poo poo up.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
So I'm not telling anyone to join up, in fact the Caves of Qud discord is a perfectly fine place, but I honestly don't think Reene is acting in completely good faith here.