Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

crossposting a question I had from another thread:

why isn't we there an actual genre term for roguelikes?

mario clone -> platformer
doom clone -> FPS
dota clone -> MOBA
diablo clone -> ARPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don't really play roguelikes much at all, but I do read this thread because it has some extremely interesting game design discussions, and I just wanted to chime in on the "early super weapon" thing.

One of the best examples I have of this is Borderlands, the original. Early in the game, you take whatever upgrade you can get. Early mid-game, once certain modifiers can spawn, you can generate an extremely powerful weapon. The best example of this I have is a teens-level hunter's shotgun (innate high accuracy) with high rolls for increased pellet count and damage%+. Obviously, a very strong combination, nearly optimal. The shotgun was my main weapon for nearly 30 levels, so the entire rest of the game and partway into NG+. Yet I was still excited to find other weapons, because there are definitely places in the game where raw damage isn't the best, most notably Old Haven, where I needed to find a good corrosive weapon. Yes, I could plow my way through with the hunter's shotgun, but even an extremely powerful generalist weapon wasn't my best option there. At the same time, I knew that I still had to keep up looking for weapons because eventually the hunter's shotgun would scale out, whether by another excellent roll by a several-level higher weapon, or a normal roll on a many-level higher weapon. Which it eventually did, of course, but the combination of random loot and appropriate weapon scaling worked out very very well in that case.

e- I still remember this years later, so I suppose that means something as well

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 9, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bionic Dues seems pretty fun - I just started playing it and yeah, it certainly has some flaws - but for $3 on sale I'm pretty pleased. Finishing up my first run soon and going to start another, probably at least 15h worth of play there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

IronicDongz posted:

Bionic Dues is one of the only games I have ever permanently removed from my Steam library. I played maybe half an hour at most and basically just hated everything about the style and aesthetic on top of how it played. The off-putting, overdramatic vocal music which felt totally out of place with the whole rest of it was my first warning sign that I shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

okay yeah the title music has nothing to do with anything

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Samizdata posted:

Well, that'll teach me. Given the indy devs that post in here, I was trying not to say anything bad about some of the smaller titles.

I have played both. Ironcast definitely beats king hell out of Dues. I got Dues, played it once, and now it sits there moldering, I am afraid. I really did NOT like the interface at all. Makes me happy I don't have to turn in my grognard card.

sugar coating your opinions doesn't help anyone make a better game

:)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

having played Bionic Dues to completion now once and starting a second game, i'm starting to feel more of the complaints about it. It's quite close to being very good, but it definitely misses some stuff.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

doctorfrog posted:

I can't promise that it'll show up in some future patch (seeing as how they've self-gutted and have all but written off Bionic Dues), but I'm the big apologetic Arcen fan in this thread and I'd be happy to take any specific feedback you have to them.

Hate to admit it, but... yeah.

well, the various pilots seem to be hilariously unbalanced but that's a minor issue, honestly. One of the biggest complaints I have right now is a visual interface sort of thing. I find it hard to tell when moving into something's LoS is going to give it a shot at my mech or not. Also, for a game where one of the primary tactics is effective kiting, having a lot of random-movement enemies (batbots, whichever that siege bot that's stupid is) is very annoying. Random hacking results is dumb, especially when one of the results is "lose all hacking points" so there's no way to fix it when that occurs. A large portion of the game seems like rocket tag, but I'm not sure if that's a difficulty-level/scaling thing or what.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can understand why this would be aggravating, but on the flipside I never had much of a problem with it personally. Bots can shoot at you if you're in LOS at the start of their turn and they have a weapon with enough range; you can see their range by mousing over them.

Yeah, that's kind of a pain. You just have to sit and wait for them to bumble into LOS so you can smash them.

I guess the terminals are supposed to be sort of like the unknown potions in many roguelikes. Just don't hack them until you're mopping up the level. If you didn't like the "Lose all hacking points" one, though, then you're going to hate the "explode the hacking exo" one...

Nope, it's all rocket tag. Most exos can't take a hit at all.

1) yeah, usually - though sometimes it seems like they get an unexpected shot (which sucks when everything is rocket tag); the only thing I saw be able to take anything resembling more than a shot or two was a late-game Assault

2) :sigh:

3) I get what they're referencing, I just don't think it's good design

4) see 1)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

victrix posted:

My favorite sentence today

it's good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

megane posted:

a +2 shortsword (cursed at Z+1.2*)

* ±0.4, for p=0.05

Nice!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zaodai posted:

I'm a 40k fan, so I'd totally play Generic Grimdark Crap: The Game.

Someone make a proper 40k roguelike. Steam Marines is as close as I've got. Or I guess Space Hulk, but the implementation of Space Hulk was sloooooow, which made it unfun.

Work your way up from a lovely newbie scout to TERMINATOR CAPTAIN BADASS. :hellyeah:

You could play Templar Battleforce on the difficulty setting that doesn't resurrect your dudes if you lose them but it's not quite there in terms of roguelike

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i should probably buy dungeonmans now, huh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tevery Best posted:

here is something you can't understand

HOW I QUD JUST KILL A MAN

wowee :eyepop:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you get a dog who can tell people to COOL IT the interactions are loving incredible because the dog just annoys everyone by farting a whole bunch until eventually it somehow farts in such a way that someone is struck by the light of divine inspiration and gives you all their stuff

Oh my god

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ahahhahahahahahagagagagavavabahhahhahaahhahahagahahahabaahhhahaha that's great

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This is is my sprit cyberdog

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ok I bought it :3:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Awesome! posted:

this was not my experience

I died the second time enemies spawned

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jedit posted:

Fixed for my experience. Then I claimed a refund.

I'm thinking about getting my $3 back, yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Incidentally, disgaea seems like it would be fun but I'm so completely turned off by the aesthetic that I've never given it a shot. Any suggestions for something similar?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Angry Diplomat posted:

What about the aesthetic bothers you? There's another game called Phantom Brave that's made by the same company and uses very similar core mechanics (with some really funky twists - the main character is a spirit medium, your other characters are all ghosts, and your medium has to temporarily bind the ghosts into physical objects to summon them into the world), but it's aesthetically somewhat similar to the Disgaea series in a number of ways.

I really fuckin hate anime/chibi/ that art style tbqh

I had a fine time with FFT

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Internet Friend posted:

If you like robuts try the Front Mission series. 3 on the Playstation is one of the best SRPGs.

This sounds great except I pretty much game on the PC these days :negative:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the PC, uh, there's Valkyria Chronicle (haven't played it yet myself), the Agarest series (AVOID), and Rime Berta (haven't played, I hear it's a sub-par Phantom Brave). And in a sense, the XCOM series qualifies, so check that out?

I've played a decent amount of XCOM :sun:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gooch181 posted:

Have you tried Battle Brothers? It's early access but I've been having a blast with it. (Think XCOM mixed with Mount and Blade. It has an ironman mode as well.)

I've got this on my watchlist! Waiting for it to come out of EA, though. I did play Massive Chalice for a little while, but it didn't really grab me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gooch181 posted:

I haven't followed the development or anything; just jumped into it a few days ago. I would never guess it's early access!

That's good to hear, honestly I haven't looked at it in some months so it sounds like they've made a ton of progress!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well I just started playing dungeonmans and after a few failed attempts, Foo the Fourth the Bannermans is off to a seemingly strong start (I've reached level 6 and have killed an Ancient King!) The healing on the melee banner is really really good, it seems.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Well I just started playing dungeonmans and after a few failed attempts, Foo the Fourth the Bannermans is off to a seemingly strong start (I've reached level 6 and have killed an Ancient King!) The healing on the melee banner is really really good, it seems.

paid at a gold statue, got totally wrecked by an ancient king after guessing the wrong chest

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ToxicFrog posted:

How did I not realize before that zirconmusic is the Zircon :psyduck:

I freakin love zircon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zirconmusic posted:

Hey so my roguelike has no name yet and I'm sick of not having one. What do you guys think of Tangledeep as a name? If there were a subtitle (like in album art) it would be Tangledeep: Trials of the Swallowed City. I want to evoke that sense of mystery, danger, and adventure that you got with so many classic JRPGs in the 16bit era. Does that have a sense of "ooh, that sounds like a cool and fun RPG with a nostalgic tone" or is it like "pass".

Of course there isn't a lot of lore in the game yet.. well really none at all, but the name will make sense in context of the game too of course.

This sounds extremely good

Also one of the main reasons I ended up actually bought dungeonmans despite the fact I'll barely play it is that I realized holy poo poo Zircon is here i love Zircon
(The other is that even though I barely play roguelikes i lurk this thread because I very much enjoy their design ideas and stories they can create and I've realized madjack is a cool dude)

:3:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

doctorfrog posted:

I remember Biskup prominently displaying a link to a book entitled "The Design of Everyday Things" on his website. Sort of an implied "The design of ADOM was influenced by this book" type thing.

:psyduck: The Design of Everyday Things is a good book, i've read it several times, and everything I've heard about ADOM indicates that he must have read it and then deliberately ignored everything in it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd recommend QWEASD or ASDZXC over that scheme. Stretching across three rows might make sense from a hand-eye coordination standpoint but sticking to two is easier on your fingers and still intuitive enough.

Well if the numbers are the attack options, it can be configurable :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Angry Diplomat posted:

I could try to describe Death Road to Canada but it would probably be more effective to post the tale of Bennie the Hero Dog instead

Holy Christ lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Might pick up drtc later today: anything I should know before diving in?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This got made fun of for some of the peripherals but the center of discussion is dcss which is the consensus (?) Top Roguelikes along with nethack, tome, adom, and angband being the other options. One of the other zot number 1 games is goddamn Caves of Qud. I don't play a lot of roguelikes but being mentioned in the same breathe as the genre Staples is a legit accomplishment and that's freakin sweet. Live and drink and EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

megane posted:

This is where you get an error if you try to stab someone with a slashing weapon, right

Holy lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

other options for nethack: floating eye, cockatrice, eel

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ADOM -> Cat Lord

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was going to say I didn't know what Nurphe Bats do, but then I thought about the name a bit.

That's so dumb. :allears:

same

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

How did you not end up naming something Bonermans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mister Adequate posted:

Our boy madjackmcmad deserves the support, if nothing else.

Unormal and hand of Luke are our boys too, y'know