Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

quiggy posted:

First-person procedurally generated shooter with Minecraft-inspired graphics and a plot loosely based on H.P. Lovecraft.

:wow: that is indie as gently caress

wow, it sounds like it plays so much like the original Rogue that it might as well be a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

madjackmcmad posted:

Oh sweet, 13 new posts in the Rogulike Thread... oh. We're discussing what a Roguelike is or isn't again. :cheers:

The only people who hate discussing what a roguelike is are people who insist that platformers and fps games can be roguelikes. :cheers:

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

So in ADOM on Friday the 13th any new character starts cursed. It's cute but also basically impossible to survive cursed at level 1.

just change your system clock to tomorrow (or Jan 1st if you're feelin fiesty) temporarily if it bothers you.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Just figured out how to find my logfiles on the server.
Heres my current dude.
http://ancardia.us.to/adom_users/lawman/oggasmas.vlg

Sorry for the wall of text but im carrying around a bunch of stuff and I just wanted to get some advice about equipment. :ohdear:
As a beastfighter what kind of armor should I be aiming for since I had this nice splint mail of carrying that got blown to pieces by a trap so im using the ancient mummy wrapping now.

since you're a beastfighter, you should aim to get the highest protection values as you can because you can't wear a shield. have you done darkforge yet? you have far slayer (have you been training up your xbow skill?? train this up!!) and multiple quarrels of construct slaying, so you should have no problem with the golems. if you're feeling nervous busting in the front door, you could even backdoor it if you have cTele installed because you also have multiple zaps worth of teleportation wands. the weapons there won't matter for you, but you can usually find some decent armor up there, a dragon scale mail for instance. once i even found the robes of resistance there.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Spacedad posted:

Looking for several different types of roguelike/rogulite games in the follow categories:

-What people think are the most graphically impressive roguelikes or roguelites

-What people think are the most beautiful/cool/good-looking art-wise roguelikes or roguelites

-The best coop roguelikes or roguelites people enjoy playing with friends

-Same question as above, but more 'party game' ish for local coop

answering just for roguelikes:

the new ADOM w/ tiles is the best-looking roguelike I've seen by far. its still a bit incomplete (no female versions of sprites, doesn't shoe equipment) but then again its still in prerelease. second place is probably Shiren the Wanderer for SNES. I also like Crawl and DoomRL's tiles for being highly utilitarian, and dislike ToME4's look quite a bit. Crawl has the best coop I think; ToME4's chat in-game takes second place, and then all the term ones. (ADOM/nethack)

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Black August posted:

I'm still conflicted about them. After seeing all the sprites and playing some, it just keeps clinging to me how half of them look like stupid ugly chubby poo poo, but the other half look really really good and visually appealing. It's bizarre. Overall, I feel like too many of them are just cartoony to the point it sort of takes away from the limited theme and feeling of the game. I expected something with more gritty visuals after years of playing.

which ones don't you like? they all feel like they fit pretty well together to me, and that they feel perfectly suited to the type of magical grimm's-fairy-tale-meets-d&d adventure that thomas has always intended. (rather than fitting to the brutal, powergamey tactics that veteran players (myself included) had traditionally employed - many of which have been patched out, by the way).

edit: some examples:

some tiles actually animate their colors! the touch of dynamism adds a subtle, but very warm contribution to the look and feel.

German Joey fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 31, 2013

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Flython posted:

That's a pretty amazing beard for such a small child.

and what is he doing crying for candy ("me want a shugga!") in a sealed up room, alone with a dirty dwarven mystic? luckily, I'm invisible, so I can just stay still, watch, and find out...

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
the screenshots I posted are from that free version; presumably the newer versions have some of the hiccups ironed-out (e.g. like female versions of monsters/your pc not having their own tiles, some special effects not in, etc) if you care about stuff like that, although the final version will be free too once its finished.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

ToME didn't win roguelike of the year! The system works.

(the system is busted, look at what won. :laffo:)

this really made my day lmao

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Rasamune posted:

Did they seriously do a single-choice plurality vote across 300 different options

Jesus loving christ

also don't forget that every year ToME adds an in-game vote option, which is why it had won hands-down in many previous years, and the guy who runs the poll (one of the clowns who does roguelike radio) refuses to remove previous winners, classics, or hello-world level clutter. so that's what you get.

every year he says, "its just for fun, it's not meant to be taken seriously!" except the poll has been running for at least 8 or 9 years now and everyone else takes it seriously because its the only poll where someone actually bothers to put in the effort to collate every possible roguelikes that had a release in the past year.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

Actually, this made me think. Are there any sci-fi roguelikes that play in the traditional way? I mean, there's FTL, Teleglitch, and Risk of Rain to an extent, but I'm talking about something like Nethack with laser guns and nanites and poo poo. Is DoomRL as close as it gets?

there's a game called "ZAPM" that's literally a sci-fi Nethack, but you'd probably only like it if you like Nethack.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Chinook posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a roguelike that is pretty easy to beat? Maybe a bit uncomplicated as well.

I like Crawl and a few others, but sometimes get bogged down by the resistance systems and difficulty. I tried cardinal quest, which is definitely simple and easier, but I just didn't find it to be very fun. Any ideas?

Otherwise I will probably just head back to Crawl. :)

sounds like you want to try DoomRL, which is quick and pretty easy to beat on the lower difficulty settings, but has tons of depth on the higher settings.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
over the weekend I wrote a start reroller for the ADOM windows tile version. I don't know what motivated me to do this, but a fugue state kinda took over me... anyways, its kinda like the old start reroller that used to be on the ascii servers, but a little worse in some ways (in that it can't read the program's memory while its running, so it has to guess-and-check the generated saves instead), and a little better in others (you can require starts that have specific equipment and skills, whereas the old one could only do stats).

the script requires Perl to, but the README.txt gives exact instructions on exactly what to download to get it installed properly so it should hopefully be pretty easy to set up even if you don't know a lick about any code.

might be some bugs here or there; lemme know if you have any trouble!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lhob1au8luyp9mm/adom_p20ascii_reroller_v0.0.3.zip

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It depends on the game. From what I understand Nethack is very nearly deterministic in the hands of a really good player, but I would never say that about Crawl, for instance.

you say that, but there's been multiple players able to win 20+ games in a row with different species/classes every game.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

I kind of like that, actually, because it let them balance the item distribution down to the razor's edge it is. Teleglitch is a lot more about managing resources and being efficient than other Roguelikes. It does hurt the replay value a bit, but I think the branching levels and crafting system help make up for that.

Of course, it would be pretty cool if there were an option for a full rando-

:swoon:

what roguelike isn't about managing resources? that's one of the most core gameplay aspects of every game in this whole goddamn genre.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Philthy posted:

I was playing this actiony jumper roguelike the other day and it got me wondering.

Have any of the games taken then mechanic of when you die, some of your items are passed on to the next character? I think I'd love an Angband that does this, Family Tree Angband or something or other.

Maybe we can put some jumping in it, too.

shiren the wanderer has a "warehouse" mechanic sort of like this. it only works in the standard/beginner dungeon, and the way it works is like this:

on floor 0 (the starting town), you have a large warehouse that can fit ~30 items. on floor 10 (another town), you have a warehouse that can store ~16 items. each item is 1 per square (so 16 scrolls take 16 spots, although storage jars can help circumvent this requirement a bit), and items in the warehouse persist between runs, although they will be unidentified the next time you see them. although there's a rare item that allows you to "send back" items to the warehouse (e.g. if you're about to die or something), the normal way you can put stuff in the warehouse is if you place it there yourself, effectively weakening your current run to strengthen a later one. the game is balanced with this in mind, so it actually works out pretty well! (at least for the SNES version; but the DS version allows to repeat floors to grind XP and so its not very good)

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

brother-joseph posted:

Not to totally derail your post and prove how new to roguelikes I am, but what tiles are those and where do I get them??? I can't seem to Google them, but I would get back into ADOM if it looked that awesome.

http://www.ancardia.com/download.html - you want the one WITH noteye integration. there's supposed to be a major new release due soon, but who knows if it'll actually be public right away.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Tin Tim posted:

Oh hey, this is cool! I never liked to deal with ASCII, so I gave ADOM a try after all. Made a few dwarfen paladins to get my feet wet, but they all died and I could use a few hints :v:

How do you effectively deal with food? I bought a few extra rations after my first char starved, but now my guy keeps complaining after eating the first one, and seems to benefit much less from it.

How robust is the dungeon generation? I'm currently sitting on floor 4 of the first dungeon, and there are no stairs down. I searched the place for a secret door, but no luck.

How harsh is this game with OOD monsters? One of my paladins made it almost to the first boss(carpenter), but then he found a Rust Monster. Had no missile weapon, so it hosed me. I kinda don't think that should happen.

And lastly, can I change the resolution? I like to play in fullscreen, but would also like things to be a bit less tiny.

1.) usually most characters will try to buy 3-4 large rations at the start, especially ones with low starting str (you can train strength by walking around burdened if your str is less than 15). that + corpses + found rations is enough to get you to the arena in the main dungeon, where a ratling trader will sell you cooked lizards that are the same as a ration but weigh 3s instead of 200s. there's also herb patches where you can find an herb called "stomafilla" that weigh 3s but give as much satiation as 5-10 rations. but, only try to eat when you're "Hungry", as you get a speed and defense penalty if you're "Satiated" (and an even bigger one if you're "Bloated").

2.) dungeon generation is robust. there's a secret room with the downstairs somewhere for sure.

3.) try to fight rust monsters with a bow and arrow if you have them, or otherwise just run from them. adom isn't that bad with OOD monsters except in specific places. some of the bosses and their entourages can be very nasty though.

by the way, for that carpenter a better tactic is to run from him, leading him back up to jarod, who will cure his insanity. he'll then teach you the healing skill, which is extraordinarily useful. paladins don't need to do that dungeon, however, because they already start with the healing skill. instead, at the start of a new game, talk to the druid instead of the mayor (you can only get the mayor's quest or the druid's quest as they share the same dungeon) to get the quest to stop the evil druid, which has a much better reward for you.

4.) I have no idea if that's possible, but i know there's a full set of noteye options dealing with the tiles and music. I think its alt-m or something? I'm at work and don't have the game in front of me, but you can see the full list of commands by pressing '?' and then following the menu.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
there is absolutely a hidden door in that room. just press s to search along the walls, or 'w s' to search continuously for iirc 50 turns. also search in adom only searches adjacent tiles (unlike, say, crawl, which searches everything in LOS), so you actually have to stand next to the wall to search for the hidden door.

as for wilderness encounters, you can usually just evade them or run from them by switching into coward tactics and getting the hell out of there.

edit: here's a youtube of a pretty experienced guy playing ADOM w/ tiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgefJYVJXXg

German Joey fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 22, 2014

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

fyi crawl got rid of hidden doors because they are dumb

crawl still does have traps though, right?

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

andrew smash posted:

When somebody argued that dark souls was a roguelike a year or so ago I pretty much just gave up.

the way i feel about all the, air-quotes, "roguelike-likes," that are basically just platformers and fpses or whatever that have fuckall to do with any gameplay elements from rogue, is what General Jack D. Ripper had to say about communists if you replace the words "precious bodily fluids" with "cred" in that water fluoridation scene from dr. strangelove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

1/3 of it is visual C++ 6, 1/3 of it is in turbo pascal, 1/3 is javascript that runs in a browser, and the build system is cobbled together with excel VBA macros. Good luck on those prerequisites.

what the hell? isn't incursion a console game? where the gently caress does javascript come into play?

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
oh, big egg on my face. ;[

my own game, that I've been working on for a couple years now, is written in javascript (most of the frontend) and python (server, which has some extensions written in C++) but has some modeling in excel and matlab, so there's 5 different languages in the repository. so, your joke it didn't sound so unbelievable to me!

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

TokyoHeadphones posted:

I think Kornel (the developer) specifically stated he didn't want the secret out in the open, so it'd be kinda nice if players respected his wishes (no matter how dumb you might think it is. I mean IT IS his game and all). He didn't mind people giving out hints though, and I eventually did scrounge up the answer after combing through said 2 year old thread and experimenting a bit. To make it easier, here's a summary of the hints given (from memory. It's been a while since I played.)

1. There's 2 requirements: Be in a certain state, and fulfill a certain condition.
2. Anyone playing any class is capable of picking it up their very first game.
3. The Dragonslayer can be made to appear in Unholy Cathedral on N! with 100% certainty. Same with its counterpart Berserker Armor in the Mortuary. These changes were made for the exact same reasons why 100% certainty Nuclear weapons and the Lava Element were introduced to the game.
4. If you try to pick it up and fail, it gives you a ridiculously obscure hint on what you need to do.

Sorry for my dorky secret circle-jerking. Honestly for all the hype it gets, once you know what's up, it's kinda meh. I think he did say he was going to change the requirements whenever he finds time to push out an update.

Edit: Changed up hint 3 to get rid of a bigger spoiler with added bonus of sounding even more dorky secret circle-jerky.

The whole circus around this "spoiler" is completely loving retarded and irritates me to no end. What started as a joke by the developer has become a toxic poison coursing through the veins of that community.

gently caress it. IIRC, you have to be berserk with nothing in either hand to pick it up the sword, and then you cannot equip anything else into either of them again. To wear the armor, you need to have the sword equipped and be at critical hp (maybe under 10 or under 20%, something like that). The armor increases in value as your hp gets lower (it goes up to like 20 or 25 protection), and increases the dragonslayer damage from 8d8 to 9d9. To make the sword appear in a normal runthrough, you need to kill the angel of death in the church on N!, and I think you also have to use only melee weapons up to that point. There might also be a damageless condition, I don't remember. It's a similar thing for the armor.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

victrix posted:

It's crap.

Actually as I get older I find I'm less and less patient with the more, um, 'prickly' aspects of roguelike games.

One turn instadeath? Lame. Item id? Lame. Death from moving too quickly? Lame. Proper way to play is be a coward for 1-10+ hours of gameplay? Lame.

I'm appreciating ezmode roguelikes and roguelike elements creeping into other games more and more :v:

What is it you claim to like about roguelikes then?

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Depressing Drawers posted:

Tossed a coin whether I would post this since the thread is on the first page, turns out the coin said I should post this trailer I uploaded for Illuminascii tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51GG__Xn2Y

looks legit sick dude

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Archangel of 666. Do it!

I tried to do an UV Archangel of 666 run right after that version came out, and I wanted to kill myself IRL a little after floor 200. Its pretty fun for awhile running around with perfect equips (e.g. phaseshift cerebus armor (P) + phaseshift antigrav boots (A), Malek's + cerebus boots for backup, juggling an F hyperblaster and an F nanomachinic laser rifle), but then every floor is the same, nothing ever poses a threat, and levels just start to blur together... ended up just never booting up DoomRL again. Seriously, if you're addicted to that game and want to quit, there's no better way to kill your enthusiasm than an Ao666 run.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

No permadeath in Tome4 you have lives. Or are you saying Super Mario is a roguelike?

oh my loving god

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Klaus Kinski posted:

Here we go!

I hope the insane guy that had a list with like 20 things a game needed to qualify as a roguelike weighs in again!

Yes, a list so insane and convoluted that it consists of a single line: if the game plays and feels similar enough to the game "Rogue" then it is in the "Roguelike" genre, if it does not then it is not.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
I still think the only reason these absurd lists about what is and what is not a roguelike exist, and of course all the haggling and bickering about them, is because - making a generalization of us here - roguelike gamers live and die by stressing rules to their extremes. So, when some rear end in a top hat markets his fps, or a platformer like Rogue Legacy, as a "roguelike" to leverage the word roguelike's reputation of meaning "carefully designed + hardcore" to the gaming community at large, the average roguelikers response is to go "*pushing up glasses* Well you see here, by bylaw 3.4.5.23 of Section 13 of the second editon of the Berlin Interpretation Accords, your game fails to live up to necessary and sufficient condition regarding the..." instead of just smashing the dude's head to a pulp like that guy from Riki-Oh, figuratively speaking. Once a list has been established, the marketeer has a way to rule-lawyer their way to a sort of neutral "he-said-she-said" position where the formerly defacto argument of "your game is obviously loving nothing like any commonly accepted roguelike and therefore is not a roguelike?" matters not at all any longer.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Zereth posted:

The Ultra endings specifically would involve enormous amounts of trial and error and trying random poo poo to figure out purely from in-game stuff. I think it requires you to do some incredibly unintuitive stuff to get all the bits you need, and what few hints there are about how to use them properly are cryptic as gently caress.

people did figure those out on their own though. that's how the guidebook was written in the first place.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
So... Archangel of 666 next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I'm confused, you guys keep talking about Crawl but it doesn't sound anything like the roguelike game Crawl? http://store.steampowered.com/app/293780/ :confused:

God I hate this thread so much.