Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Does the $50 from buying Darkest Dungeon off of their site actually get you the game? It says Early Access which I'm concerned is just whenever it'll be on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

ADOM has stat differences between the genders, I think male characters get +1 STR and female characters get +1 DX. Stop oppressing me Thomas Biskup!

It's a lot worse than that because in addition to that, male characters use charisma for lowering shop prices and female characters use appearance. I guess now that appearance gives corruption resistance that actually makes them better, but it's still stupid.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I keep seeing a bunch of people reference Python when talking about making roguelikes. Is that the language most of them use? I'd like to play around with one maybe, but all I know any of is JavaScript.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I did the minotaur maze on a character who was stuck on that half of the map because my climbing set got destroyed by a random trap in the Tomb of the High Kings and farming for several hours for a new one didn't turn up any. I managed it easily enough (the character was strong as poo poo, that's why it pissed me off so much), but I didn't realize minotaur mages drained stats. I went from having 20+ in everything to single digits in several things.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

fun tip: minotaur mages and also the emperor eat poo poo to stun bolt, so use the stun wands you certainly still have charges on because theyre useless aside from blasting cats and body some fools. or dont, because gently caress The Minotaur Maze.

I think I'm done with ADOM. The player ghosts finally tipped me over the edge. It's bad enough fighting a character you lost, but add on penetration and St/To drain and it's almost impossible unless your next character is either way more of a beast or you get really lucky.

I just wish there were more fantasy dungeon crawl roguelikes that I haven't played and want to. Most of them I've either beaten a bunch of times (ToME, DCSS), want to like but are just unspeakably awful in one or more ways (Incursion, ADOM), or have very little interest in for various reasons (Dungeonmans, Dredmor).

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Backed, it was messy when I tried the early alpha but I really like the look of it.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

In Tangledeep I kinda wish I had an idea to relative strength of abilities. All of the abilities just give a vague description of what they do with no sense to how much they actually hurt.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Is it possible to turn off player ghosts in ADOM? They seemed like the worst addition by far to me.

e: nevermind, found it.

Zarick fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 21, 2018

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

rude.

(I hadn't started ADOM in a while so when I found the setting outside of the game and added it, it reset when I started the game.)

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Jedit posted:

This occasionally happens in ADOM now, and you can take their stuff. I think in ADOM it happens after you've had a string of early deaths, to give you a bit of a leg up.

I think ADOM ghosts are pretty brutal, if you can beat one early game you probably don't need a leg up.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, been playing more Card Quest, and I agree it feels a bit more like a puzzle game than a roguelike. But, it also scratches that same itch as looking through your inventory trying to figure out how to use what you have to survive in a desperate situation.

Also reminds me of that one F2P browser game, the tactical one where your gear gave you cards and the premium currency was pizza. Anybody else remember that?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/293260/Card_Hunter/

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Anyone know if the Android version of Card Quest is adequate? Not a game I'd probably play that much at home but for a phone game it sounds cool.

e: also it's cheaper

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Osmosisch posted:

It's fine except the font is lovely for a handheld, and there's the usual unity thing of making the phone hot and eating your battery just to render a turnbased card thing.

I've definitely noticed the battery thing so far. Holy poo poo it goes fast.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Thank you thread, for introducing me to Card Quest. It may annihilate my phone's battery, but it's fun as hell and really nails the class identities really well.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

One of the Hunter's level 7 upgrades is the ability to see hidden enemies at the start of the fight, and it's wonderful. (Though it's worth noting that if there are more hidden enemies in the battle than will fit on the screen, they can still pop up after you clear some space.)

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, sorry. I got my backer email and it's installed on my computer. I guess the non-backer release is delayed slightly. :shrug:

Is it good? I put it on my Steam wishlist about 2 years ago and at some point removed it because I assumed it was vaporware, but now it's actually releasing.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does chasm have unlockable characters or classes or anything?

edit: hell yeah, another update coming in soon for City of Brass, looks like some kind of sick genie guy https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791459028457/announcements/detail/1717445965604097743

I really enjoy City of Brass and can't wait for this to come out. I'm still struggling trying to get that "all burdens" achievement... I can barely get to level 4.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

My Chasm take after beating it: a 5/10, which is pretty generous imo.

Here's the things I hate about it:
* Your character is slow, clunky, and you have to backtrack a LOT
* Nearly every weapon in the game is a carbon copy of another weapon, with a color change and a stat swap
* Seriously, the above point can't be overstated enough. there are a few weapons that ostensibly have special effects (a knife that supposedly steals hp but didn't for me, the hunter lady's sword that I guess unlocks monster knowledge faster) but even these are just carbon copies mostly with a unique thing that happens and is mostly transparent. I only found one unique weapon in the game, which leads into my next point...
* Bosses drop unique items if you defeat them without getting hit. In this kind of game this choice is really baffling, and combined with the slow controls, probably 4-5 hours of my 15 hour playtime was spent trying to get perfect on the bosses hoping that I'd get a cool item. Here's what they drop, in order: Wendigo drops a knife that got quickly replaced, Worm drops armor that's pretty decent and will last a while, and has a 25% chance of negating damage that it doesn't tell you about (I thought this was a bug until I saw someone else mention it), the flying head drops the Titan Hammer, literally the only truly unique weapon I found the whole game, which is an overhead swinging hammer (like the club) that creates a huge shockwave when it hits a solid surface. I seriously used this from that point onward, only switching for bosses because typically you have to hit them in the air a lot. The skeleton king drops a sword that's like the hammer but without the shockwave and slightly stronger. The flying bird guy drops a scepter that's just like any other mace as far as I could tell.
* Related to the above, most bosses in the game have a little banner outside their door and a save point nearby, but the fifth and last bosses do not. I didn't even try to get the last boss perfect after doing the fifth one because running back so many times broke me.
* There's an Arena in the game that also contains a boss fight, but this does not give an item for doing it perfect, which is maddening since all the rest do.
* Nearly none of the metroidvania path unlock items you get are really fun to use until you get the double jump (which is more or less last); all of the rest pretty much just unlock new paths.
* Warp Scrolls cost 500; I probably got 10000 gold the entire game. Combined with how much backtracking you have to do and how slow you are, this is nuts.
* The subweapons are literally just low effort copies of the Castlevania ones. It's not even slightly disguised. You get the knife, axe, boomerang, holy water, spinning gem shield, and a shuriken that throws wildly in the air.
* The procedural generation is of literally no value if you only play the game once, which to me seems likely because even if I didn't perfect the bosses taking up a bunch of time, it still would have been 10-12 hours.
* Armor is also pretty uninteresting, it always seemed correct to equip whatever gives the most strength (weapon attacks) or intelligence (subweapon attacks), depending on what method you need for the boss you're on.

Sorry this seems ranty, but I was done with this game like 5 hours into it and yet finished it anyway; probably because I was determined not to give up on a game I put on my wishlist in like 2015.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the only other game that uses this mechanic is Valdis Story and it was frequently cited as not a good thing in Valdis Story (and is indeed the reason why I never really got too far into the game). Who really thinks this is a good idea for anything but like, cosmetic items?

I was kind of okay with this in Valdis Story because it was very clear that there were rewards based on how well you did, also, if I recall correctly it was very easy to restart a boss fight.

It was still kind of frustrating, but at least Valdis Story has more elements that make it the kind of game that makes more sense for this mechanic (boss fights are meant to be very technical, and you have a freaking dodge ability).

Here's another thing that made me irritated in Chasm: every single boss fight takes place in a flat, usually featureless room. Two of the bossfights take place on a flat platform with dangerous terrain on each side, but this doesn't really improve it much. Castlevania 1 knew better than this!

Ardryn posted:

It's even worse than that actually; the town only has 5 warp scrolls. What, you want more? Too loving bad.

gently caress off, game.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

megane posted:

Paladin + Warhammer was simultaneously the most effective and the least enjoyable build I've ever made. You have to cycle through your entire deck like three times to do one attack, it's hell. But I beat the dragon boss with it and never took a single point of damage.

Yeah I like both Paladin and Tactics in concept but I definitely just Berserkered my way through pretty much everything except the paladin thing to unlock Holy Knight.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sort of. It doesn't work (and, conversely, unlocks don't exist in the first place) in All Floors mode, which is basically the real game. Everything else is just practice.

I feel like it's less of a problem in Crypt of the Necrodancer though... sure, some weapons are better in theory than others, but they pretty much all have their uses. Even the dagger (because special types of dagger exist that don't exist of other types).

Then again Crypt of the Necrodancer is probably my favorite roguelike and/or indie game ever, so I'm probably not capable of being objective about it.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

City of Brass is pretty neat if you haven't done that one already.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I didn't like the new genie character, not because I think it's bad conceptually, but mostly because being slow didn't seem a worthwhile tradeoff for 1 more heart.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Black August posted:

3.0 added a shitload of insanely OP artifacts designed by donators, only a few of which are suicidal to use like the pointless raw steel and black tome items.

Another ADOM thing I’d love to mod but will never be allowed to- change it so that Chaos Knights, and possibly any class that is C- crowned, does not die to corruption past 16, and instead stabilizes there, so that all corrupting super artifacts actually become a viable play style. I’d also make the Chaos Trinity useable without doom.

There are so many bogus artifacts in that game it’s bizarre.

Also, when you get to that point, make it so that you actually accrue corruption more quickly, but each time you would get a new mutation you gain one and lose one at random. cHaOs rEiGnS

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I agree re: Tangledeep stamina/mana. I wasn't a huge fan of how easy it was to run out of one or both and then end up with nothing to use unless you get lucky. (I understand that the orbs are balanced to a certain level of energy regen, but if you're not aware of it and/or tracking it, it pretty much just feels random.)

This problem was compounded by another issue people have mentioned, which that there are just tons of different varieties of consumables that do slightly different things, so it's hard to decide quickly which kind you should want to use.

These are probably surmountable problems but I just didn't enjoy it that much.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Gungeon Switch update when

(yeah yeah I know Nintendo certification sad face)

Isn't it updated? My brother plays the Switch version and I've seen new stuff there...

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/718590/Dark_Devotion/

This game seems reasonably fun so far. Like a much slower paced and chunkier Dead Cells that leans really hard into the Dark Souls aesthetic. Haven't gotten super far in yet but it seems okay.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I also generally feel a general unease toward card-based games, though I did like Card Quest. I don't know how the others do it but I liked Card Quest because other than some cards that inserted randomness for power (e.g. an attack that targets randomly but is otherwise more powerful for its cost), pretty much everything else is entirely deterministic. Cards do exactly what they say they will every time, and all that's random is which ones you get.

This works pretty well in Card Quest because the real strategy is burn through cards as fast as you can to mitigate possibly not having the right one at the right time, and yet even with this minimal amount of randomness it's still possible to get ruined by drat fool bad luck.

I'd agree with Tuxedo Catfish in that not much feels worse in a video game than losing through no fault of your own, especially when it's later in the game. (Early game deaths in roguelikes aren't really great either, but I'd rather get unlucky and lose after 5 minutes than after 5 hours.)

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

...man i guess i shouldnt be surprised about even this thread just being down on JH, its as if no one on the forum even really enjoys video games anymore

You don't like the same things as me, therefore you don't enjoy video games? Give me a break.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

megane posted:

There are a few minor changes like cover and a lack of diagonal movement, but other than that it's a carbon copy.

Aren't these kind of huge changes, though, mechanically?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Does anyone know how the Reloader L2 perk works with things that auto-reload when you move? Do you get -50% damage during that movement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

If anyone is curious how I managed to insta gib warlocks / medusae:

I found this unique rifle, Vengeance, early on. On Europa I managed to find an armor with an auto belt loader that reloads your weapon partially on moving. This does NOT count as a reload action. Vengeance gets +50% crit per kill until you reload, this stacks up to 250%.

And yes, that is 401% crit chance.

I got similar levels of gibs by just being a sniper scout with a railgun with +20 flat damage on it. I'm pretty sure I killed the final boss in four shots (which I think is the minimum) on medium.