Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everything i've seen and heard makes it sound like a worse dead cells

seriously just get dead cells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I haven't beaten the game yet, but I had a frustrating period last night. The second area has a combination lock: you need to find three numbers by finding three frescoes scattered throughout the area. For whatever reason, I failed to recognize that I could climb a specific wall, so I was only able to find two of the frescoes. I spent a lot of time trekking back and forth, and as I did I realized:
  • You travel really quite slowly.
  • There's a lot of recovery time on your attacks, and as far as I can tell no method to cancel that recovery time.
  • Fighting just isn't very fun; it's a lot of fiddly "attack right at the limit of your range, or bait out attacks and then chase down the monster while it runs away during its recovery period."
  • The map generator is perfectly happy to string together long sequences of corridors that are just "fight monster A, fight monster A, fight monster B, fight monster B, fight monster B".
  • I think I've seen maybe 10 different monsters in the last two hours of gameplay. Let's see, there's goblin, goblin with a spear, troll throwing rocks, kobold with a knife, kobold with a spear, rat, snake, ghost, boomerang guy, sword guy, two minibosses and one boss. Okay, that's thirteen and there's probably a couple more that aren't sticking in my head, but seriously, the environments aren't varied and neither is the enemy list.
  • And neither is the equipment list. Zarick touched on this, but two hours in and I've found two swords (identical to shortswords in SotN except with more recovery I think), a club (like two-handed swords in AoS), a "war club" (a shortsword with even more recovery), a whip, a ring (+1 subweapon damage), a leather helmet, and a suit of chainmail (both straight defensive upgrades). I also bought three subweapons and another accessory that boosts a few different stats.

To me it feels like they wanted to get the feel of SotN, but they're desperately short on content. The thing that made SotN good was that it had a gigantic bestiary with relatively little repetition, hundreds of items, lots of weapons with cool one-off effects, and secrets all over the place.

So that's disappointing.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
My most successful Gungeon run since the patch (not to be confused with the most fun run) went 3 floors straight without a single ammo drop.

Sigh.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/731420/Roguebreaker/

(i have no clue what the rogue-like elements are from the video)

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Finally picked up Cinco Paus. This'll be my first Michael Brough game. Ready to begin a new trip into this procedural death chamber

:sludgepal:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stark Fist posted:

Finally picked up Cinco Paus. This'll be my first Michael Brough game. Ready to begin a new trip into this procedural death chamber

:sludgepal:

I think it's pretty deep but it's probably been the least accessible to me lol. I know the hardcore love it and the design is really tight but personally I'll always favor Imbroglio , I think it's the ultimate perfect roguelite-lite

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

goferchan posted:

I think it's pretty deep but it's probably been the least accessible to me lol. I know the hardcore love it and the design is really tight but personally I'll always favor Imbroglio , I think it's the ultimate perfect roguelite-lite

That's the one I want to play the most, but it's iOS exclusive :bahgawd:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have, yeah, it's super fun. My go-to build is the Schwalbe with (IIRC) heavy rockets, turbo micro missiles, and IR missiles. Just be faster than everything else, pull crazy aerobatics, and line up with your target just long enough to dump a full salvo of rockets into them before swooping away.

Before they updated the aircraft carriers, I'd instead carry the Morningstar bomb and bomb their control towers. Getting the trajectory on the bomb right without having a useful targeting reticule was tricky, but oh man it felt good to land that one shot and have the entire carrier go down.

I wish equipment/aero unlocks could happen during a run (instead of only after you die) so you could plausibly try to win the game from a fresh savefile without having only the basic vulcan, micro missiles, and light rockets to work with. I know there's a cheevo for doing just that, but I don't wanna do it.

I tend to ditch the micromissiles in favor of a powerful front gun, it's satisfying to shoot them down red baron style, and they have high sustained dmg

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Zarick posted:

Here's the things I hate about it:
* Warp Scrolls cost 500; I probably got 10000 gold the entire game. Combined with how much backtracking you have to do and how slow you are, this is nuts.

It's even worse than that actually; the town only has 5 warp scrolls. What, you want more? Too loving bad.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Stark Fist posted:

That's the one I want to play the most, but it's iOS exclusive :bahgawd:

Oh cool I thought Cinco Paus was too! Maybe if that port does well then Imborglio will get one too; counting the most recent expansion it's the "newest" Brough game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zarick posted:

* Bosses drop unique items if you defeat them without getting hit. In this kind of game this choice is really baffling, and combined with the slow controls, probably 4-5 hours of my 15 hour playtime was spent trying to get perfect on the bosses hoping that I'd get a cool item. Here's what they drop, in order: Wendigo drops a knife that got quickly replaced, Worm drops armor that's pretty decent and will last a while, and has a 25% chance of negating damage that it doesn't tell you about (I thought this was a bug until I saw someone else mention it), the flying head drops the Titan Hammer, literally the only truly unique weapon I found the whole game, which is an overhead swinging hammer (like the club) that creates a huge shockwave when it hits a solid surface. I seriously used this from that point onward, only switching for bosses because typically you have to hit them in the air a lot. The skeleton king drops a sword that's like the hammer but without the shockwave and slightly stronger. The flying bird guy drops a scepter that's just like any other mace as far as I could tell.

I think the only other game that uses this mechanic is Valdis Story and it was frequently cited as not a good thing in Valdis Story (and is indeed the reason why I never really got too far into the game). Who really thinks this is a good idea for anything but like, cosmetic items?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

John Lee posted:

Already done! I haven't yet played it, though. It took a while for it to be easily available, and I've been waiting for six weeks now for them to process my replacement request, because it arrived with some of the location stickers peeled off.

...Of course, if I understand correctly (I could easily not), Descent is closer to a roguelike than Gloomhaven.

It'll probably make your knob throb to hear that they just announced a Gloomhaven roguelike for PC, then.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Shmups tend to doal out extra lives based on score and give a decent score bonus for beating a level without getting hit. A couple CAVE games I've played also have secret 1ups for killing a midboss without dying or bombing.

admittedly that did bother me in Valdis but it's very reasonable to me in a 1CC game and roguelites are basically 1cc games.

e; but what that's referring to is a 15 hour metroidvania im stupid

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 3, 2018

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the only other game that uses this mechanic is Valdis Story and it was frequently cited as not a good thing in Valdis Story (and is indeed the reason why I never really got too far into the game). Who really thinks this is a good idea for anything but like, cosmetic items?

I was kind of okay with this in Valdis Story because it was very clear that there were rewards based on how well you did, also, if I recall correctly it was very easy to restart a boss fight.

It was still kind of frustrating, but at least Valdis Story has more elements that make it the kind of game that makes more sense for this mechanic (boss fights are meant to be very technical, and you have a freaking dodge ability).

Here's another thing that made me irritated in Chasm: every single boss fight takes place in a flat, usually featureless room. Two of the bossfights take place on a flat platform with dangerous terrain on each side, but this doesn't really improve it much. Castlevania 1 knew better than this!

Ardryn posted:

It's even worse than that actually; the town only has 5 warp scrolls. What, you want more? Too loving bad.

gently caress off, game.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Speaking of Gloomhaven...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, to be fair, valdis story was a game better set up to let the player redo boss fights. the main thing about getting a good score was just not using a health potion during a fight and not getting hit way too much, which the game's mechanics allowed for.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

I tend to ditch the micromissiles in favor of a powerful front gun, it's satisfying to shoot them down red baron style, and they have high sustained dmg

Oh yeah, that's pretty fun too. Just when I'm tryharding I go for the micromissiles because they bring my time-to-kill way down against enemy aces.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lords of the fallen and the surge both have a special condition for each boss fight where the weapon dropped by the boss will have an extra perk on it if you meet the condition, like getting the boss to kill a few of its minions over the fight or whatever. It works pretty well since the weapons generally don’t need the perk to be good and you don’t have to be perfect/unhittable to meet the condition. I think it works a lot better than a no-hit reward except that you can’t refight bosses.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Chasm plays exactly like Castlevania: SotN, but without the stuff that made SotN a unique experience. It certainly hasn't learned anything from the 20+ years since SotN came out, and the room design is definitely worse.

The character speed is almost exactly like Alucard's, although Alucard feels a bit more fluid. Same goes for the combat and sword sprites, down to being able to tap jump, attack in the air, then attack immediately after hitting the ground for a quick 1-2 combo. These wouldn't be problems with more unique, and smaller, rooms, and more movement options and items to vary the gameplay a bit. From what I remember, the rooms in SotN were all unique. Chasm just has hallways, towers with a zig-zag pattern of platforms to jump from, and a handful of unique rooms thrown in for spice.

I'm enjoying it, and will probably get another run or two out of it before never playing it again, but it really does seem like the devs were too focused on recreating SotN's gameplay that they never stopped to ask themselves if it would fit with the rest of Chasm's mechanics.

Making a full metroidvania with a procgen map is a good, if ambitious, idea. Chasm kinda falls flat there. The moment to moment gameplay is competent, largely because it was taken wholesale from a classic, and the art is fantastic, so it has that going for it.

Sky Rogue, though, that's a really fun game in short bursts. The Steam workshop has some pretty nice user made plane models, too.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Digirat posted:

Lords of the fallen and the surge both have a special condition for each boss fight where the weapon dropped by the boss will have an extra perk on it if you meet the condition, like getting the boss to kill a few of its minions over the fight or whatever. It works pretty well since the weapons generally don’t need the perk to be good and you don’t have to be perfect/unhittable to meet the condition. I think it works a lot better than a no-hit reward except that you can’t refight bosses.

I think I would like this mechanic in a game like ETG but not ETG...maybe ETG2?(hint hint hope hope plead plead)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

OutOfPrint posted:

Making a full metroidvania with a procgen map is a good, if ambitious, idea.

This is my dream game, and every few years I start working on some core concept (usually mapgen) and eventually get distracted by my other myriad hobbies. I semi-seriously think that this will be one of the things I do when I retire.

I think a good procgen metroidvania (at least, the kind I want to see) should probably aim for a session length of 30-60 minutes, and emphasize traversal over combat. Keep the maps relatively small and focused, and make the non-boss enemies more like destructible obstacles than something the player is forced to engage with.

The problem with classic Metroidvania combat, outside of bosses, is that it's either basically hanging back and hitting shoot (Metroid), or has limited scope for complexity because it's more about experience and leveling (Castlevania). I'm not saying the combat can't be good, since there are tons of 2D games with engaging combat. Just that IMO it's not really core to the experience, while map design and traversal are.

As for the session length, in my experience, action roguelikes that take longer are pretty wearing; it's hard to free up a continuous block of time to play them especially if (like Synthetik) there's no suspend option. Plus as the sessions get longer, the map size increases, and a larger percentage of the game becomes tediously retracing rooms that you've already been through in that run (let alone how many times you've seen them in prior runs). This is mitigated in most games by arranging the game as a series of levels and not having the levels interact, but that creates kind of boring levels for a Metroidvania.

I gather Dead Cells does combat well, and I should really promote it in my stack. I've also been meaning to check out A Robot Named Fight, but the meat aesthetic put me off. How is its mapgen?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

As for the session length, in my experience, action roguelikes that take longer are pretty wearing; it's hard to free up a continuous block of time to play them especially if (like Synthetik) there's no suspend option. Plus as the sessions get longer, the map size increases, and a larger percentage of the game becomes tediously retracing rooms that you've already been through in that run (let alone how many times you've seen them in prior runs). This is mitigated in most games by arranging the game as a series of levels and not having the levels interact, but that creates kind of boring levels for a Metroidvania.

I gather Dead Cells does combat well, and I should really promote it in my stack. I've also been meaning to check out A Robot Named Fight, but the meat aesthetic put me off. How is its mapgen?

My ideal, which will never, ever happen because it would take a massive for a roguelike budget, would be to have map size adjustable by selecting how many randomly selected areas (like Library, Mines, or Desecrated Cathedral) with rooms made of randomized, but coherent, individual, pre-fab segments, bonus points if those pre-fab segments switch over time. Each area gets a save point for people who need to take a break.

This would take a stupid amount of money and effort to achieve for very little payout, but hey, a man can dream.

As for Dead Cells combat, yeah, it's really loving good. It's fast, smooth, and makes you feel like a badass for pressing buttons. I haven't delved too deep into A Robot Named Fight, though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

This is my dream game, and every few years I start working on some core concept (usually mapgen) and eventually get distracted by my other myriad hobbies. I semi-seriously think that this will be one of the things I do when I retire.

I think a good procgen metroidvania (at least, the kind I want to see) should probably aim for a session length of 30-60 minutes, and emphasize traversal over combat. Keep the maps relatively small and focused, and make the non-boss enemies more like destructible obstacles than something the player is forced to engage with.

The problem with classic Metroidvania combat, outside of bosses, is that it's either basically hanging back and hitting shoot (Metroid), or has limited scope for complexity because it's more about experience and leveling (Castlevania). I'm not saying the combat can't be good, since there are tons of 2D games with engaging combat. Just that IMO it's not really core to the experience, while map design and traversal are.

i think there's still room for experience and leveling, just in more digestible chunks. metroidvanias after SotN tend to have very expansive spell/ability systems - keep that, but make only a small subset of spells available for each run by tying them to items that are placed fairly evenly throughout the map. that way as you traverse you're building up a fairly unique combination of combat powers every run; the standard roguelite item philosophy but applied to metroidvania-style powers. have a small number of experience levels since you're shooting for a short run time, but make each one highly meaningful.

i think it's a fairly logical progression if you've played both roguelites and non-SotN metroidvanias, which is why i'm confused about all of the procgen metroidvanias - from rogue legacy to chasm and everything in between - that haven't done anything like that at all.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Spoilers for ARNF mapgen. The game is broken up into an intro, then 3 'worlds' arranged in a loop (Caves -> Factory -> Buried City), the last area's boss gives an item that lets you jump back into the intro/endgame area where enemies have been upgraded before the final boss. Each area has a 'traversal' item, this allows you to get past some block to get to that boss, who's guarding another traversal item that allows you to get to the next area. I've played 100+ hours and I have a pretty good sense of the maps, i.e. the traversal item will be at the end of a hallway, the boss is on a branch blocked by the area's traversal item. I still get things wrong and have to backtrack, but a 'sense' of the mapgen does develop. Runs are a little longer than 30~60 minutes, my first runs were closer to 90 and the fastest run I've done was <50 minutes. It does have a save/quit option. I streamed 2 runs last night that both came in right around ~70 minutes.

It took me a while to get over the meat aesthetic too. It doesn't bug me so much anymore, my brain's slotted the sprites into whatever video game abstraction layer. It really nails this:

By the endgame I'm not bothering to kill most enemies, it's much faster to just jump through the rooms. The initial speed/jumps feel a little sluggish, but most games have movement upgrades (dash, double jump, hover boots, etc.) that allow for mid-air corrections. Speed boosts also help, by the end it's like a totally different platformer.

One more minor spoiler the 'intro' bosses can spawn as a regular enemy in the final world, by then the weapon upgrades have normally trivialized the fight and it's another great power-curve feel.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've found that the scarf that replaces your dodge roll with a teleport is really clunky to use on a controller, as well. Perhaps if I had more practice with it, that wouldn't be the case (although I kind of doubt that)...but I hardly ever see it.

The scarf is best used for its snap back function. Lay a shadow, back off, teleport when clear. Not that I gotten the thing to back up my theory lately.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

http://www.sullla.com/FTL/ftladvancedstrategy.html I read this earlier, this is from some successful let's player of FTL. I think he's kind of underselling teleportation and mind control. I win so many games against the flagship by exploiting crew fights, and killing most of the crew in phase 1 makes phase 2 trivial and phase 3 much easier. With Lanius boarders I pick hacking and mind control and find a breach bomb, then hack the FS's shields, mind control the pilot to drop its evasion to 0, put an unmissable breach bomb in the missile room and teleport in my lanius, then throw in another breach bomb (damages my crew too but doesnt matter with a clonebay). Once the missiles are down the fight is basically won. Then it's just a matter of breaching the medbay as well and adding boarders and mind controlling more crew to slowly eliminate all of them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can i get hot pro tips for imbroglio

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tollymain posted:

can i get hot pro tips for imbroglio

Yeah what gem count are you stalling out around? Probably the easiest character to start out with is "no ranged weapons" guy -- "no dupes" guy isn't bad either. Did you know you can look at the leaderboards and copy high-scoring people's board setups? at least check those out for inspiration if you haven't. I think basically the biggest thing that fucks new players up is time management -- enemy intensity ramps up whether you're collecting gems or not, and while it can be tempting to kite enemies around so you're killing them on the perfect tile or avoiding taking any damage or whatever, every single unnecessary step you take means you'll be getting in over your head that much sooner. There are exceptions but in general you always wanna be rushing towards gems.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Jedit posted:

It'll probably make your knob throb to hear that they just announced a Gloomhaven roguelike for PC, then.

My knob... is throbbing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why do leviathans in cryptark just loving noclip through walls anytime they're not onscreen? Both times I've gotten to the end there's been three leviathan factories on opposite ends of the map covered by two repair systems that will reverse anything I do in ~30 seconds, which themselves are covered by shield systems on the other side of the map, and I can't see anything because of a sensor jammer. Exact same setup both times.

And I would be fine with all of that were there not nonstop 3x leviathans on me at all times because they just fly at you in a straight line anytime they're generated, until they get close to the screen and turn collision back on. There is never a free moment to get anything done because they don't have to spend more than a few seconds clipping through walls to you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the leviathans are there to make sure that you keep moving. If they got hung up on the stage geometry then they wouldn't be as good at that. By the time you reach the Cryptark you should have some high-powered ordinance though. They don't last long against stuff like cluster grenades or dual-wielded heavy machineguns.

The main thing with the repair systems is that they always switch to the most recently-destroyed system. With two active repair systems it's hard to make progress, but with one you can generally just keep nuking systems and they'll never turn anything back on. If you need to buy some time (e.g. to go on walkabout to reach the next critical system) you can just take out, like, one of the turret control systems or something else you don't care much about; even if they do repair that it'll take long enough that you can probably reach the next system you want down.

But sometimes you do just get hosed over by the stage geometry. Repair systems both protected by shield systems that are far away is one of those cases.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I got terrible news,
Unexplored will be on Switch with all its dlc next week.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

I got terrible news,
Unexplored will be on Switch with all its dlc next week.

oh poo poo i just heard "this summer" for consoles, next week is awesome. dead cells next week too-- fun roguelite times for the non-PC-haver

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Portable Rogue games is unhealthy

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
What's good personality choice in frogcomposband for a half troll warrior, and what's the general philosophy for picking personalities? (Like, I'm guessing more STR/DEX for phys types, INT or maybe any hp thing for magic, but I read some where they affect skill aptitudes too or somethin)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
YAVP - got my first win in the Dark Ritual DLC with a score of 202. Quite fun, would run again.

What is Dark Ritual? A bunch of cultists have completed a dark ritual to empower their four mightiest lords and now they are attempting to awaken the great old one from his slumber. They can do this only at midnight, and you have only two hours to stop them by slaying the chosen vessel before then. You arrive outside their mansion to investigate their ritual and discover their weakness.

There is a book on the first floor that explains your mission and points you towards a location with a bunch of tutorial books explaining the game world further. It’s not too complicated but figuring it out for yourself is part of the fun so I won’t go in further details yet.

So outside of that, your two hours are eaten up in five minute increments every time you change zones. You want to look at the clues in front of you and carefully choose which area to head to next. Beware of red herrings- just like clue has several possible murder weapons, only one is the right one.

Unlike a food clock, this encourages you to fully explore each zone you choose to visit at a steady pace even if there might be somewhere less dangerous you could be. You can afford to retreat from a zone, but that will waste at least ten minutes of game time (one turn to enter and another to leave) assuming that you don’t need to return. And since you never need to rest in Unexplored you don’t have the downtime a typical hunger clock forces you to avoid.

Unlike a regular run, you are given over 150 gold to customize your start each time and no gold carries over between each run. Instead of gold, your score is based off of knowledge gained (based off of everything, not just the main quest). If you want a higher score, you can discover more of the mansions secrets, but be warned- this is dangerous.

Minor spoilers:
I was quite lucky with my choices and layout. I managed to finish the game around 11 O’clock before the fabric of reality started tearing. I missed a lot of content because I headed straight to the labyrinth as soon as I was confident. I was scared of how nasty things got as midnight got nearer. On top the normal level gen, I expect the clues to lead me down a very different path.

I only had to hit up the mansion, basement, garden, and observatory before I gathered enough clues and tools. I didn’t need to visit the forest, caves, or any deeper zones, thankfully. I had a scary encounter when I ran across the flesh golem early, in the room that usually has the purple pipe.

10/10 would go mad again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DisDisDis posted:

What's good personality choice in frogcomposband for a half troll warrior, and what's the general philosophy for picking personalities? (Like, I'm guessing more STR/DEX for phys types, INT or maybe any hp thing for magic, but I read some where they affect skill aptitudes too or somethin)

As a half-troll warrior you probably actually have more than enough str/dex/con for now, so rather than more of that you might want something with a bonus to magic devices skill.
Lucky is great on most characters -- it has high ranks in all skills (most importantly magic device skill), plus you get better loot and more artifacts all game long. PosChengband's artifacts and egos are pretty OP in the lategame and can easily get you to maximum in your most important stats, so the lucky personality's -2 to all stats is not a huge downside (unless you're playing a character with very low starting stats or a monster race with fewer than normal equipment slots).
Mighty actually gives a bonus to life rating, giving you 2% more max HP, but it has bad device skill (meaning you'll struggle with fancy wands and staves) and a penalty to spellcasting success chance (which you don't care about).
I haven't played with it since it's new to Frog and not from the old PosChengBand, but Mundane could be decent -- it's permanently surrounded with an antimagic shell (just like you get from antimagic items), which prevents spellcasting but gives you a giant bonus to your saving throw to resist monster spells.
Or go for the fun option and pick Chaotic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I remember beastman chaos warriors being good fun in the old Zangband days. Every level up, your beastman nature gave you a chance to get a mutation, and your chaos patron would gently caress with you somehow. Plus you get good melee and chaos magic, which is mostly good for blowing stuff up.

I'm sure that FrogCompos et al have even more bonkers combinations you can go with. Don't they have an Android race whose level is determined by the quality of their equipment? Like, by the time you're done with your initial shopping you're already level 5 or 6.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

i always roll lucky because i'm so, so greedy. unlucky is really sad from what i've seen, so i don't recommend that one.

e:

I remember beastman chaos warriors being good fun in the old Zangband days. Every level up, your beastman nature gave you a chance to get a mutation, and your chaos patron would gently caress with you somehow. Plus you get good melee and chaos magic, which is mostly good for blowing stuff up.
compos (but not frog) changed chaos warriors to be even more chaotic now, making the chaos patrons occasionally do random poo poo on kills or hits or w/e instead of just when you level up. marvel! as your weapon gets turned to dust, or you grow extra legs, or you have a greater demon summoned on you while fighting a rat. also i think he buffed their spell failrates. live chaotically.

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I'm sure that FrogCompos et al have even more bonkers combinations you can go with. Don't they have an Android race whose level is determined by the quality of their equipment? Like, by the time you're done with your initial shopping you're already level 5 or 6.

FrocComposband added the "chaotic" personality, which gives you the same chaos patron fuckery as chaos warriors get.