Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Billy the Mountain posted:

Now that he's been fired I might start telling some stories of the man I shall call Matt.

:justpost:

Maggot Monster posted:

I had a pretty good experience. However I can replicate his formula for you so you can DIY. Basically take your resume and every single time you mention something without specifics, add specific details. Seriously, a solid 99% of the work we did was him highlighting things in my resume and saying HOW MANY, HOW OFTEN, FOR WHO, WHEN? and me filling in the details for like 20 back and forths.

Yeah that really is what it boils down to. Also don't start bullet points off with "assisted with" or "helped with", even if it's true and you're modest. "Responsible for X part of Y project" works though, if you're specific on what X part did and how many people used Y project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I love how almost every time I start mentally screaming "Get out of there" I look at the username and realize it's you.

(Point still stands though.)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Got this in an email a little while ago:

"Lynn walked into the wall behind Claudia's desk. At approximately 1:40 today. Please let me know if you have this on video... Please please please"

I don't think requesting camera recordings of your coworkers waking into walls to submit to America's Funniest Home Videos is smiled upon by HR, generally speaking.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

blackswordca posted:

Just imaged my first SSD equipped computer with the WDS/MDW setup we have here.

Holy crap its fast

Windows imaged, applications installed maybe 10 minutes to do it. Just have to finish up some windows updates and its done.

So much for padding my timesheet with this setup.

Add a couple (dozen) full-drive-zeroing passes to your pre-install workflow.

You know, for security.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

GargleBlaster posted:

I now have too many push notification enabled devices. Someone sends me a tweet or whatever and it's a chorus of
"bing!"
"blabadoop!"
"bzzzzzz"
Really I should stop being lazy and sort it all out. Maybe just have push on the phone.

(I hope this isn't stretching the thread definition too much, I got used to "poo poo that pisses you off daily" being extremely flexible)

That's what they get for thread-merging :colbert:

I have sort-of the same deal, except it's on the same device-- I have an app that overrides the default texting functionality but for some reason both it and the regular texting app it overrides feel the need to alert me to texts, with a 2 minute gap between them. It's quite odd.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

GargleBlaster posted:

Sounds like classic Android if I ever heard it. Nice to actually have alternative texting apps though.

Apple, fantastically enough.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

The Macaroni posted:

The vendor informed us at first that this was a "narrow" problem

Of course it is, "password123" doesn't have any 'v's in it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Can we talk about documentation for a sec?

I document everything I do in Evernote or a git repository, depending on what I'm doing. Everyone else I work with is horrible at documenting anything.

What do you document? How thoroughly do you document it? What are most people missing in recording changes that are being made?

Bugs get recorded in Jira, bugs get referenced in enforced checkin comments, server parses checkin comments and adds checkin information to the bug in question automagically.

We also have a wiki.

Nobody looks at the first one and the second has never been cleaned up ever, so finding documentation on the wiki is "hopefully the last one updated is the accurate one".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

GargleBlaster posted:

>Dials in through 5 nodes
>Hacks password
>Runs delete program
>Clicks on the one ending 232013
>Disconnects
>Claims 1700 credits

(Sorry, too much Uplink. Someone must've got the reference.. right?)

Stupid uplink. I stole about 3 million credits from a bank account and accidentally got myself into a position where I had no clue what was going on because the difficulty adjusted itself accordingly, which bypassed the entirety of "tutorial LAN hacking".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Kuros posted:

God dammit lady, you do not spill liquid on your $1500 laptop, frying it and then while I'm getting you a loaner ask me if IT will get you a $2500 Macbook Air.

Some loving stones you have.

Got any spare 60GB netbooks laying around? :v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MF_James posted:

You're going to punish them by working them for another 2 years? Seems like an OK punishment for them...

I was going to say, this seems on par with "writing a sternly worded letter to the editor that doesn't name companies but implies them heavily" in terms of threat levels.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ShadowStalker posted:

Have to pay down my house before I leave. Just bored with this job and there's nowhere to go except for a few field management positions or move to our corporate office in Washington state (I do not want to move there). Whether this position opened up or not, I was leaving by December 2015. My old boss knew it already but I had a great relationship with him. He was actually the best boss I've ever had since I started working 18 years ago. Put more time and effort into my professional development than all my other bosses combined. He just made some bad decisions.

If you're in this thread, I can pretty much guarantee you'll find something better in commuting distance inside 2 years.

Besides, what were you planning on moving to in 2015, if not another job in the same area?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ShadowStalker posted:

No, the wife and I are moving 750 miles north to Northern Virginia in 2 years to be close to my family.

Oh. WELL IN THAT CASE.

I'd still put out feelers in the area, you can pay your house down better in 2 years with more money amirite? As my mechanic always says, "Is always good to look for job when have job."

Anyways.

enotnert posted:

if we're talking wife tickets...

I'm actually unreasonably pleased that my wife is learning how to Google more effectively. It's also pretty :3: when she pops up on GTalk to tell me about a problem she had that she was going to bug me about, but spent half an hour Googling and figuring out the answer herself.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

That's unsafe code!

ratbert90 posted:

code:

try:
	if (Problem_Is_Not_Super_Complicated):
		google()
	else:
		Read_The_code()
exception:
	google( try_harder=true )

:colbert:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

That looks like it'd be right at home in Windows 3.1.

Sweet lens flare!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

blackswordca posted:

So a new job opportunity call came in.

I got a call for a non- IT job to do dispatching work for a fuel company in the city. Gonna follow up with them tomorrow, but if i get it, im looking at a 60-75% pay increase plus real benefits.

Jesus christ do it do it now don't ask questions just do it

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I don't think I'd be too mad if some adorable golden retriever puppy came up to my cube with a sheet of paper around his neck that read, "YOU'RE FIRED"

Better yet, train it to drop it in their inbox.

(You can train it to poo poo in the inbox if it's someone you don't like.)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

blackswordca posted:

So the client i support had one of their development contractors get a job in the states with Microsoft and he moved down there a few weeks ago. They need him, and only him for some reason to continue doing development work on this web app he was working on. They had me create a windows VM with no network drive access and had me figure out a way to restrict his access as much as possible so the data on our clients server cant be opened due to patriot act ( the clients exact wording). To keep the data he is allowed to access safe we need to restrict where he can work on it. They are going to write a clause in his contract specifying that the web data is to only be used on the virtual machine. The problem is they want me to come up with the wording of it. I've told them I cant advise them to do that, but they are insisting I provide it and so is my boss.

You're not a lawyer, right? Why the gently caress would they as a not-lawyer to write up contract clauses?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Comradephate posted:

The loaner I got from IT which they were nice enough to give me while they re-imaged my work laptop with Windows 8 was actually better than my work laptop. :(

I'm a fan of my company for the sole fact that everything I do is on remote hosts with screen sessions. I actually downgraded my work computer to an Air because I didn't need a 6-pound behemoth of a MacBook Pro for work that I could literally do from my smartphone.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

This that piss me off? My own good faith in other people, and thinking "Oh yeah I am sure they did this important thing during setup"

I've gotten burned on that once, never again. Part of my deploy template now has big bold words at the top, "Don't trust that dependencies are in production just because someone said they were".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

nitrogen posted:

We used SKYPE until 2010.

Still using Skype. The more tech-savvy use IRC for text chat, but everyone uses it for voice meetings.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Comradephate posted:

I would like for you to know that I wore flip flops and an Against Me! shirt to work on Tuesday.

I just deployed a production server in my boxers.

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress that. I work from home and I'm in my bath robe right now. And I'm more productive than any of my coworkers.

:colbert:

:cool::respek::cool:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Agrikk posted:

Speaking of superstition, two of the most annoying things someone can say to me during a release is "How much longer?" and "How is it going?"

Thankfully, everyone knows that when the name goes from "ua" to "ua[deploy]", you ping at risk of your health.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Potato Alley posted:

Your boxers must be pretty big for an entire server to fit into them :v:

Well, I figure that if it's meant to keep you cool, we could just set up the server in them and save a fortune on fans! :v:

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I've been lurking this thread and the previous one but this ticket was a nice excuse to finally start posting:
Apparently my company has started taking terminations literally.

It's probably easier to kill the users with the passwords than it is to try and clean up all their accounts anyways.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Crowley posted:

I've never heard it called anything but "beachball".

When I got to my new job on backend web development, the term "hung throbber" being tossed around threw me the first time it was used without context.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Do you work in a public high school? Because goddamn if that doesn't look familiar, and I'd like to believe that's not what someone who wants to keep their job does.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Dead Cow posted:

The other 20% :iiam: I fix things by standing next to the computers all the time.

Techs in general are IT-whisperers. My wife regularly accuses me of having affairs with computer equipment because "it only wants to work when you touch it".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Volmarias posted:

:byodame: "Why don't you put this effort into our relationship?!"

:byodood: "Quiet, woman, I'm fondling the TV!"

e: This a fantastic page-topper.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Such memories. I used Winamp up until the point when I started using a Mac for everything-that's-not-Steam and basically got railroaded into using iTunes for everything.

That having been said, having an external laptop for music with an aux-out into the mic port on my PC and letting me gently caress with playlists/music volume without having to break games that don't handle alt-tab well? Very, very worth it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

A companywide meeting came in...

Tuned out when "leveraging core competencies" was used unironically.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

GreenNight posted:

New user: I need my mailbox limit bumped up, I can't do my job with only 1 gig.
Me: Sorry but company policy is 1 gig, no exceptions. Even the CEO only has a 1 gig mailbox.
New user: That's crazy. Let me talk to a few people because I'm important.
*crickets*

Happens a few times a year.

I bet they'd love our company policy of "3 months of email retention". If it's important, you'd better save it off somewhere.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

blackswordca posted:

I wont be doing anything until I get a cheque in my hand or some sort of reasonable arrangement is made.

Seconding the "wait until the cheque clears". And it's not a "reasonable arrangement" until you have the money in your hand for previous work done-- don't let them set up some sort of partial payment plan, especially since--

blackswordca posted:

Its not a huge amount of money they owe me

Also, I don't know where you're at, but small claims filing tends to be like <$100.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Apparently I cant have any days off because as person with highest seniority I am the only one out of 4 who can keep things running. When I said I trust the next in line coworker, bossman said 'Youre just saying that to get your days off'. No fick you he is the only other capable person on my team the 2 guys working externally atm are way worse...

"Alright, where's my raise?"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

sfwarlock posted:

In other news, I've been notified I must take a drug test before reporting to work tomorrow, my only alternative being to resign. This oughta be interesting...

Sounds like a company that doesn't want to keep it's programming department. If our company had drug tests they'd be out of business by next week.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

So I wanna try out DD-WRT, but there's no official version for my WRT54G3G, I found a thread claiming that you can just flash the WRT54G version, but there are like 500 Versions of the router and then the firmware.
Anyone know how to figure this out?

If you don't see it on this chart somewhere, then it's pretty much a crapshoot. I'm seeing random forum posts saying "yeah sure it's supported" from 2007, but nobody's actually saying which firmware version to use.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Tobacco pipe?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Inspector_71 posted:

I love when users ask you questions that simply don't make any sense no matter how you parse them. I had somebody this morning asking me about what IP address her e-mail was tied to, and if that could be the problem with her cloud syncing.

I don't even know where to begin responding to that sort of thing.

I usually find "No" to be the best response to something like that.

anthonypants posted:

As much as I want to know why Windows Help isn't working, or why he thinks Windows Help isn't working, or why he thinks that replacing the executables will fix things, the policy is that if they get admin rights, they lose support outside of a reimage. For some reason, they never want to do that when something breaks.

Same here. It's a company full of software developers, so local admin is pretty much required, but fuckups are usually a "drop off your laptop for a couple hours and play some foosball while we reimage it" deal.

Likewise thankfully, it's a company full of software developers, so 1. Important poo poo is all in source control, 2. Every user worth their salt has some form of backup or quick-setup script to get from a base image to a working machine in fairly short order, and 3. 90% of the things that happen to require a reimage are dysfunctional-hardware related anyways.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Inspector_71 posted:

but people seem to want an explanation as to why the answer is no.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ballard/bofh/excuses

Generate randomly or in rotation as needed.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

wa27 posted:

A ticket came in,

Then maybe don't use your work emails for Linkedin if it's that big of problem? :what:

Why in the name of all that's good and holy would you sign up for a site that is, basically by definition, *meant for finding other jobs*, with your *current job's work email address*?

The only exception I could possibly see to that would be if your day job is "recruiter".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

tehloki posted:

Can you imagine the unrepentant ugliness of ladies' underwear designed to part in such a way to allow the wearer to piss without removing them

Let this be a lesson to all you putting off your YOTJs. It could happen to YOU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Volmarias posted:

They are clothing for your crotch. It defeats the entire point!

If you think the "point" of crotchless underwear is to be clothing, I think someone glossed over something in your sex ed class :colbert:

• Locked thread