Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Back in 1992 an author created a series of children's books that would go on to cement themselves in 90's culture. They weren't his first creations, but they're by far the most memorable. Goosebumps was a series that was written at the right time. It caught on like a firestorm, and R.L. Stine couldn't churn out new books fast enough. From 1992 to 1997, Stine wrote 62 Goosebumps books, not counting the spin off series, or his involvement in the TV show. And well, quality varied. Some plots/twist endings were recycled, sequels became common, and towards the end, the audience began to grow up. By the end of the 90's, Goosebumps was pretty much over and done with.

It's been over 20 years since the original series started, and the world has seen plenty of new horrors since then. If Goosebumps were written today, I think the stories would be very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Attack of the Stupid Thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Not mine, but somewhat relevant.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Incitatus posted:

Not mine, but somewhat relevant.

Shouldn't this be stay in the basement?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Shouldn't it be Austria instead of Australia? Also, why is it that that's the thing ruining the joke for me?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Man, a really hosed up horror story about Detroit just being Detroit is actually a pretty great idea.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

http://goosebumps.wikia.com/wiki/It_Came_from_the_Internet!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
That should be #34.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I was going to but in that stupid rules of the internet thing isn't Rule #33 Lurk more? I thought that was more fitting.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Huh huh.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

You clearly forgot to put "No cash" here, could someone fix that please?

Loretta Trampface
Sep 12, 2006

by T. Finninho
This is gold and you're a goddamned idiot if you threadshat.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Alistair Overeem?

onionmaster
Oct 11, 2012

onionmaster fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 14, 2013

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Huh huh.

Took me a moment but well done.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Son of a bitch! I was looking at that cover, and I knew something funny could be done with it, but couldn't think of what. Then bam, you nailed it. Good job.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Love this one to death: the beady-eyed comic book collector face and expression are perfect with that computer there!

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

No. No, god damnit, why did you make me remember Foam Adventure. I try so hard to forget it. :smithicide:

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

I remember this cover from when I was a kid. It scared me so much that I made my parents get rid of it. That face is insanity personified.

e: also, I don't get it.

Mr. Bones fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 15, 2013

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It's fairly accurate though. If I remember correctly, the plot is that a girl is cursed by a gypsy and gradually transforms into a giant chicken. GOOSEBUMPS. :gonk:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Spatula City posted:

It's fairly accurate though. If I remember correctly, the plot is that a girl is cursed by a gypsy and gradually transforms into a giant chicken. GOOSEBUMPS. :gonk:

Here's an in-depth look at why it might be the most hosed up of the Goosebumps books, except maybe the implied alien rear end rape one.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Pick posted:

Here's an in-depth look at why it might be the most hosed up of the Goosebumps books, except maybe the implied alien rear end rape one.

It wasn't even a Gypsy it was just kind of a dickish 20-something Witch. I seem to remember she forgave them then turned them into pigs at the end.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Pick posted:

What about the one where the protagonist (which, like every other protagonist in the series, is just a loving kid) is literally locked in a walk-in freezer by an insane scientist for the ENTIRE final third of the book and has to resort to survival methods to stay alive? Unless that is the one you're talking about and I repressed that specific scene from memory (it had egg monsters from Mars if I recall).

Jon Joe posted:

Egg Monsters From Mars, I believe.

I knew the title, didn't decide to include it and now feel like an idiot for not doing so in the first place.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 15, 2013

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

What about the one where the protagonist (which, like every other protagonist in the series, is just a loving kid) is literally locked in a walk-in freezer by an insane scientist for the ENTIRE final third of the book and has to resort to survival methods to stay alive? Unless that is the one you're talking about and I repressed that specific scene from memory (it had egg monsters from Mars if I recall).

Egg Monsters From Mars, I believe.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Justin Godscock posted:

We do indeed speak of the same book. After all else fails and he finds himself freezing to death, the egg monsters "envelop" him and at the end of the book he takes a squat and lays an egg, so you tell me what happened in there.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

No. No, god damnit, why did you make me remember Foam Adventure. I try so hard to forget it. :smithicide:

Alright I'll be the one to ask.

What?

Napoleon Blownapart
Aug 4, 2010

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Alright I'll be the one to ask.

What?

Turn down the volume before clicking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnJyCDGLUZU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I long for the sweet, endless, embrace of death.

• Locked thread