Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've been playing this for three hours now. I've stopped at the obligatory "Buy clothes, customise a car" mission because I'm waiting for my friend to come back from work. This is literally the fourth mission in the game, so I've done nothing, achieved nothing, and have barely any weapons and money to my name, and already I've been reduced to hysterical laugher, have a grin a mile wide and am in love with this loving game.

I've just found out that you can roll cars in mid-air by steering left and right, and if you hold down space and steer it'll spin. Cue me stealing a Blade, going to the airport, and spending a solid hour just listening to Mad Decent while making my car pirouette through the sky. Anyone who says vehicles are pointless are insane, because I know that even when I'm brimming with powers and the world is my oyster, making a golf cart dance through the air is going to be hysterical. Goddamn, Volition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I TOO WONDER WHERE BRAD IS TAKING YOU FOR DINNER TONIGHT

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've been avoiding this thread until I completed the game. Polished it off today with my co-op buddy, 41 hours on the clock, 97% completion.

Oh my god. I can't even articulate just how fantastic the game was from start to finish. As a long time fan of Saints Row and everything the series had to offer, it's perfect. It's a giant love letter to all the things that made the series great and is just brimming with fanservice, but doesn't let it get in the way of being an entertaining story and a bloody good time. It nails everything and I'm devestated that it's over.

At this point I don't care if the DLC is three more Flashpoints and a pink skin for the Dildobat, I need more of this game :smith:

Idolninja was right about everything

Only a few bugbears:

Some cars appear in certain missions but you can't save them or acquire them, despite being fully functional: The Stiletto, Swindle, all the STAG vehicles, probably some others I've missed. If they were just scenery I understand, but this game is throwing tons of vehicles and weapons at you that were from the previous games. I don't care if they're redundant or if people don't use vehicles very often, I was gutted when I didn't recieve those vehicles. The inclusion of a Chrome Rattler but no actual rattlers appearing in the game (As far as I know) perplexes me too.

I need some of the outfits your homies get when they gain their superpowers. Seriously.

That's honestly about all of it, and it's because I'm a greedy bastard. Goddamn.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 8, 2013

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Boss progession screenshots:

SR2:

SR3:

SR4:

My boss' appearance is based on my own because whenever I play a game with character customisation, I always make them look like me. SR2 is pretty accurate to how I used to look, and although the graphics in SR3/4 are are lot more caricaturised it's pretty accurate to how I look now... I just wish the beard lined up with the hair better.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Reiley posted:

Living Large:

With all the weird options hidden away in non-customizable cars I wonder if Volition intended for people to find and use the garage glitch to customize rare wheels. They're like a whole category of easter eggs in themselves.

Thank gently caress for mods, eh?:

One thing I will throw out there for people who don't or can't use mods: I've noticed rare and strange cars MAY have a chance of spawning when you're at high notoriety. I've come across a Bootlegger XL legitimately without any mods active, slightly damaged and with nobody driving it while I was in the middle of a rampage, and today I found a Rattler after killing a warden at the end of a rampage too.

Both vehicles looked like their appearance was randomised, the Bootlegger XL was black and red with no roof and fully customisable when I stored it, and the Rattler was grey with a flame decal on the side. There was also a Gunslinger that spawned on another occasion, which was grey with a "Saints" decal on the front.

I've spent over 45 hours playing this game and haven't seen either the Bootlegger XL or Rattler spawn in traffic, nor can I find them just looking around the map. These were the only times that they showed up for me.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Who says you can't be cruel in this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23ev5EQRblo

Batter up!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The suffering continues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmZHFFcDuE

Wish I DFA'd a little higher so it looked more painful, but still.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Quiet Python posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I've decided I want him to have a different hairstyle in every major scene, from a giant red afro to blue dreadlocks to a purple french braid. Then at the end, the twist is he's actually bald, and has been wearing comedy wigs the whole time!

I wanted to make my character look progressively more and more hosed up as the game goes on because of the huge amount of scarring/bruise options you can have, but whenever I go to do so I come down with a case of :effort: and also because I like seeing my character looking his best the first time I see a cutscene. Mission replay, come back! All is forgiven!

Zeether posted:

I just noticed that one of the commands Kinzie types in the computer during the Tron redux mission is "release FS3" (as in Freespace 3) and it says "NOT GOING TO HAPPEN". drat it Volition.

Spoilers: SR5 will be the new Freespace game, only it'll be called FreeSaints.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 12, 2013

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
E: Forgot I already made a post. Ignore!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2psAziEr0i4

IF YOU A GOD HOMIE I'M A NONBELIEVER

DON'T EVEN TRIP

LIT

reverberating in my head, endlessly, the burden for my sin of painting every car purple or shocking pink

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Another exciting Overkiller installment for your regularly scheduled dose of very real suffering in a virtual world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a79WykXCeZw

I've put together a playlist of all the videos I've done in this style, including the ones from SR3. Apologies for the choppy framerate, my PC wasn't so great back then.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNfp992eXMzOMs2ovja8za6GlP1goyhi3

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 13, 2013

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The new Thumpgun skin in the GATV DLC is really cool and makes that gun super satisfying to use.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The production values of this DLC easily trump all the other ones. The rewards, while nothing especially new, are all really cool, it's presented well and gently caress, SR4 is always a blast with a friend and that's not changed at all. The most suprising thing is that it's actually instilled a bit of christmas cheer in me, it's classic SR humour with a really :3: ending.

And yes, I licked the gently caress out of that door. Worth it

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Seasons BEATINGS :unsmigghh:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can you wear the robosaur outfit without the helmet? I wanna have a dinosuit without messing up the cutscenes :black101:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The ever-delightful representer of all things purple Idolninja recently posted a very cool little tweet:

https://twitter.com/IdolNinja/status/483004336398532608

Brand new modding capabilities? Exciting. As. gently caress. Holy poo poo, I can't wait to get back to playing this game with awesome new poo poo to do. I still boot 'er up from time to time to get my superhero carnage fix.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
No, Kinzie! We didn't install the stripper pole for you to do THAT with it!

Kinzie, stop it! The Boss only just had those tyre spikes installed! He'll be furious... and impressed.

Look Kinzie, I don't care how much you've had to drink, that's Zinyak's spaceship and it's NOT GOING TO FIT

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 26, 2014

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

ChaosArgate posted:

The true ultimate voice would have them speaking in tandem like a DBZ fusion character.

Randomly selected voice out of the pool of 7 per line, so every playthrough would be different :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Completed it in co-op. It was short, but we had a great time and there's some laughs to be had. Just don't expect it to rock your world, it's pretty much some super polished DLC but goddamn the flying mechanic feels smooth as gently caress. The anti-air spires didn't give us trouble at all, in fact we were laughing at how ineffectual they were.

I really, really liked the vehicle design in the game as well, even if it was fairly limited remeshes of existing vehicles. The setting looked cool, I'd love to see an open world game that really explored it in detail.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Megazver posted:

There's been a few. Undead Nightmare. Episodes from Liberty City. Dragonborn. Shivering Isles. Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches are quite good, I hear. (Haven't gotten round to them yet.)

Yeah. When I say "Polished DLC" I don't neccesarily mean it in a negative way, maybe I should've said "Expandalone" instead. As a fan of Saints since the very first, I really, really enjoyed GooH and we're going to go back again to 100% it tommorow, but it's important to keep your expectations in check. SR: GooH isn't a world-shattering departure from what SR4 brought to the table, but it doesn't need to be. It's still a lot of fun. It's just not bringing to the table the production values that people might expect out of a full release, which is entirely to be expected.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oujia Board for Best New Saint's Character. If they stay with this canon I want to see it painted purple with "Hell Yes" "gently caress No" and "gently caress you say?" as the options.

It floats around after you when you choose it as a homie and you have to watch it to figure out what it's saying.

Also Volition are tallying up what you choose in the ending and will base SR5 around the most populous concensus :getin:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think Saints Save Christmas is probably the best of all the DLC between SR3 and SR4. It's cohesive, well-presented and has some great little jokes in it. If I was to reccomend any DLC, it'd easily be that one.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm squinting but I don't see any hundreds on your table or twennies on your floor.

For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Timby posted:

I like SR4 a lot, but "masterpiece" is taking it a step or two too far, at least for me. The hellish Stilwater VR thing is just exhausting to look at after a while.

Counterpoint: How The Saints Saved Christmas is the best Christmas videogame ever invented

• Locked thread