Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Whorelord posted:

The sort of 'design min-maxing' that the AT staff use is pretty effective. The main characters have such minimal features it means that when you get someone like Ricardio (also an awesome villain) or The Lich with a much more defined design appears you really notice. Maybe that's whats wrong for Maja?

Haha, 'design min-maxing'. I agree, that totally applies to the Lich. I don't know if the same applies Ricardio though, he seems too John K. influenced and seems to be drawing from a different style than the rest of the show. It's just a completely different approach to character design and seems more like a hold-over from a previous era of cartoons (I guess Spongebob is still around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, hold on, we've seen of this before! In a cut storyboard from The Lich!
http://rebloggy.com/post/adventure-time-cartoon-network-jake-finn-storyboard-the-lich-finn-s-dad/35365952684

Anyway, this episode was exactly what I expected it to be and loved it. Finn got smacked in the face all season and he finally understood at least some of it. Also I had a morbid laugh at Joshua's grave.

It's too bad they never got to do this gag.

How Ingratiating! posted:

If adults aren't allowed to watch cartoons, then how are they allowed to make them?! :stonk:

Sorta reminds me of this tweet. https://twitter.com/neonwario/statuses/357951488535953409

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 2, 2014

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Simple question but not an easy answer.

What episodes or arcs are required for a new viewer to understand the beginning of the latest season?

It's not as simple as the Enchiridion and the Lich arcs since there are subtle references to stuff like Billy, Treetrunks, and the cursed grass sword.

One of the strengths of this show for newcomers is that a viewer who has seen most of the episodes can recommend certain arcs that might appeal more. For example folks with an inclination towards romance might even appreciate the PB and Flame Princess subplots more than the person showing it to them. It's just that the cartoon has become so referential, deep, and convoluted that I don't know where to begin introducing folks to the series anymore.

I thought this AV Club list had some good picks. http://www.avclub.com/article/beneath-iadventure-timesi-weirdness-lies-surprisin-103956

Also I'd say any episode about a dungeon would be a good starting point, except Mystery Dungeon since that's more 'for fans only'.

Steve Yun posted:

I have no formal knowledge of Freud's theories, I'm actually basing all of this just on what the show gives us.

So if you're not familiar with Freud, where'd you learn how to analyze cartoons through such a narrowly freudian lens? TV tropes?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

BooDoug187 posted:

I was waiting for Yakety Sax to start playing.

Y'know, I can't recall a single instance of Adventure Time using any kind of licensed or non-original music.

edit: except the Cheers theme.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

I'm more concerned about the pile of skulls and there also appears to be a Beemo-like computer stuck in there.

I don't see it, but there were some grass cubes about the same color. If you find it again, could you highlight it and timg it? Also I can't find Waldo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

While I didn't hate this episode, or even dislike it really, I can't praise it either. There's not really anything connecting it to the rest of the show, and it's not really strong enough to stand on its own, as it's message/meta-narrative is ultimately kind of self-serving.

Derek Dominoe posted:

It was a thing. More "mildly interesting" than fun. Some of my favorite episodes are one-offs or center on peripheral characters, but this one didn't hit many beats for me. On the other hand, I will always love...

Yeah, "Thank You" was a great example of an episode that was different from the series at large, but did its own thing really well. IIRC they tried to get it nominated for the best animated short Oscar by showing it in theaters but that didn't pan out.

• Locked thread