Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kryopsis posted:

Some of the later levels remind me of 1990's FPS level design. This can only be good: I really missed the exploration aspect in modern shooters.
Also, I highly recommend investing into 'Headhunter' I and II. At this point in the game I pretty much never have any ammo. My pistol, PDW and Shotgun perpetually display '0/0' and while you can recover crossbow ammo (sometimes), 3-5 bolts isn't much. Basically, being able to just decapitate some enemies and do this is awesome!

I've got Headhunter I (the first or second skill I picked up) and I've yet to get a Head. How do you get Head?! Do I need Headhunter II for it start working?

Also, people having problems with the first boss clearly haven't learned to dodge - or realized the crossbow is actually the Railgun of Shadow Warrior 2013. Giant Glowy Weakspots, announced static attacks, a crazy fast and far dodge and a railgun. You've got all the tools you could ever need by the time you get to the first boss.

Or maybe I'm just a Shadow Warrior savant cause I got my five-shuriken rated fight pretty early (it was the one that introduced the Tower-Shield Demons)

And the people claiming the levels are bland or uninspired: You're nuts. Like seriously, bonked in the head nuts. Shadow Warrior has the prettiest maps in a shooter since Crysis 1. And they're not only visually amazing, they're almost Valve level well designed too. Every break in the backtracking is clearly labelled, every secret well hidden but not Painkiller level idiotic obtuse and every square meter is filled to bursting with things that explode.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think it said 6 meters but it sure as hell isn't 6 meters. It seems way shorter. And enraged Demons might be immune.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Fanelien posted:

What were they thinking with that revolver? It's so terrible. The katana makes up for it though, I love charging at demons, beheading them and charging the next one to repeat. A great thing I noticed was the physics are actually alright, I beheaded a demon in a stream and his head went with the water flow, dripping blood the whole way down the stream.

Weapons have very specific roles. The Revolver is for triggering environmental crap and for flying enemies. Edit: It's also incredible at dealing with acid suicide demons, which it'll pop in one headshot.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 28, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Actually I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 7800. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't wanna futz around too much in the catalyst control without knowing what I'm doing.

Don't feel too bad. I finally cracked a 5 star ranking in the courtyard right before you get the first piece of the katana.
It's really quite difficult even on Normal to get good rankings, and I'm not even really sure how I did it. It seemed like I was playing sloppily but I guess not

For the record 5 stars is basically just double the karma bonus of a 2 & 1/2 star ranking with no achievement attached. So yeah, pretty sure there's enough karma to go around, and you don't really need to care. Not sure if it effects your final Score tally at the end of levels, but it might.

I managed to get a 20k Karma bonus from 5-rating a bigger fight. There's some good amount of Karma to be had from playing well. And yeah it absolutely feels like Fire Resistance helps against explosions - but more importantly I think the Demon ranged attacks are all "fire". With the ranged-upgraded magic shield up the small fireballs the ranged Demons fire in salvos tick for me an amazing 1 hitpoint of damage - on Hard.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I've found the PDWs are nice for damage against bigger targets that don't dodge (Greater Demons and the Shield-carrying lessers), but they get outclassed by later weapons. Which is okay I suppose - you get the PDWs really early.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Did you get the one up on the cliff? I think opposite the big shrine where you got the padlock key, the one you fought the Necromancer in front of, should be a smallish building with a padlock. Through there you get to a garden looking area that has a path up the side of a cliff to a seal.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Xaris posted:

This game owns bones but I really don't like any of the Powers thus far. I thought I'd go for Protection but you give up too much with no RMB/Ki attacks and it takes too long to switch it on/off. Shockwave feels a little useless when I'd prefer to have a Ki attack on charge and it also seems to take a while to cast. Healing is alright and I'll probably dump my power points into that. Is Flux worth the points? It seems pretty bleh on paper.

I haven't found the use for Flux yet, but the Shockwave is really great at dealing with the Shield-carrying Demons. And the Protection spell, with ranged block upgrade (360 degree protection is nice too) is a must have when fighting flying demons or Humans.
Edit: Doesn't the Flux have a de-enrage component? Maybe that's really awesome for something.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 29, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Any tips with dealing with the minotaurs, necromancers and those duel-katana banshees? The former two seem to take way too long to kill and the latter wrecks my poo poo.

The Demon Head skill that's been mentioned already is the big one when it comes to dealing with the Warlords. For the teleporting sword demons I just charge up a WW-Stab and wait till they teleport to me. A single fully charged Divider (with all the Katana skill tree damage upgrades) one-shots them.

And yeah Hoji-Wang dialogues are awesome. The whole thing is really well written, because they both start off really not liking each other and they as the game goes on they riff of each other more and more. Also Wang is terrible at one-liners at the start, but actually gets better and better as he goes.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I love Hoji's catty "Bitch" after Wang tells him he needs to work on being hot. The delivery was loving Ru Paul's Drag Race spot-on.

My favorite is the one where Hoji starts making fun of Zilla and Wang is all "You made armor for the Demon Invasion. Shut the gently caress up!". The deliver on Wangs line is just perfect.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I love how the most dangerous part of the come-over-here move isn't being dragged to the Warlord (you can easily dash away before he actually does his follow up swing), it's the fact you're stopped dead before he reels you in.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The Flamethrower alt fire with the damage upgrade deals with hordes of trash mobs really effectively I've found - and isn't half bad for Shield-Trolls either. Lob one fuel tank of alt-fire at the approaches and switch to something else to finish off anything that survives.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

None of them have nearly the same AoE capability or the ability to continue to deal damage in the giant area after you've stopped firing. Especially the Crossbow or the sword.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Kind of. The Rocket Launcher doesn't have the same AoE, doesn't have the persistent damage and I personally think the arc of the flamethrower alt fire makes self-splash less likely. But yeah the Rocket Launcher and the Flamethrower alt-fire have largely similar uses - but that's not even that bad, because they don't share ammo (not that you'd ever need to use the Flamethrower enough to run out of ammo).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

You can hit the vulnerable part from the front too. Charged-Crossbow bolts work pretty well.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Except for the Crossbow magazine size upgrade. I don't think anyone really needs that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Whichever goon said the Flamethrower primary fire was good against flying demons - thank you. I'm just getting easy 5-star ratings thanks to that. It absolutely destroys flyers, with a lot more skill bonuses than just shooting them did.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Jblade posted:

Nearly at the end, and this game is loving amazing. I was really cynical at first but the game has really come into it's own. I've found a use for pretty much all of the weapons although the missile Launcher's glacial speed make it hard to use properly.

The secondary fire speeds up the missiles and straightens their wobbly flight path.

Finished the game now and holy poo poo it's awesome. I think they've arrived at the perfect FPS formula now. Painkiller had incredibly pretty maps but fairly limited weapon selection and one-dimensional gameplay. Hard Reset had awesome weapons and less pretty maps. Shadow Warrior has Painkiller style maps and the magic/melee/weapon combo stops the gameplay from becoming stale.

And the story makes sense! After Painkiller, where you could have put the maps in any order and it would have made the same small amount of sense, and Hard Reset - where god knows what was going on at all - I was starting to think they just couldn't do story. But Hoji is great, the Shadow Realm is great, Lo Wang is great. Everyone makes sense and there's a genuine journey in terms of character with a great conclusion.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Zilla sold humanity out to Demons. He's a dick. Lo Wang wants to be a superhero, so saving the world is kind of what he's always dreamed of doing.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

nickmeister posted:

Any secrets to taking down those monsters with the weak points on the back? It's nearly impossible for me to do. There's very little time to shoot them in the back after they crash into a wall, they do tons of damage, and dodging them is hard to begin with.

Edit:

Also, does anyone else find most of the "dark" powers sort of useless? I mean, the force push move is okay, but the "koi snare" or whatever is super slow, and doesn't last long, even when fully upgraded. Haven't tried the protective move yet.

They should be pretty simple to dodge really - if they're not I guess that's a sign you didn't invest enough in stamina upgrades?
Also if you find they're turning around too quickly you're probably not getting them to run into a wall. They have two "stop and take a breath" states: One that only lasts a second or so you get if you just dodged behind them instead of actually making them run into something and one that puts them out of action for a good 10 or so seconds when they do run into something.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The PDW change is interesting. It means they're willing to make balance changes to a singleplayer game. That's pretty much unheard of.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Don't get hit. I'm pretty sure all my 5-star rankings were in fights where I either never got hit at all or only got hit once.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Is there any reason to not use the revolver or PDW's alt-fire? Are they less accurate at all?

Can't use alt-fires while using the shield spell.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

You can dash while shielding. You can do everything that doesn't use the right mouse button. It's not great in all situations but there's a couple of things it really does well (bosses and fliers are the biggest ones).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there a reliable way to deal with the crazy ninja teleporting things?

You can charge up the WW-Stab and hold it until they teleport right in front of you, then one-shot them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

And harder. Goddamn the Arena Mode is tough. You really don't appreciate the incredibly well tuned difficulty/upgrade progression of the campaign until it's (intentionally) gone. No Upgrades fighting mid-game enemies is a bitch.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Oh I know. But they throw the green suiciders and huge waves of Warlords+Minions (including Trolls) at you in very early waves, long before you've got the upgrades or weapons you had in the campaign. They really wanted the Arena to be a challenge I guess.

I am curios if the 3rd Sword upgrade unlocks in higher waves or if it's just deemed too overpowered for Arena.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's worse than you thought - that wave has more than 2 Crystal Chargers. It's 3 (or 4? hard to count) Chargers, 2 Warlords, 2 Necros and the usual army of Trolls and basic demons. They're basically saying "Here's your Rocket Launcher - no more holding back".

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The Green Suiciders don't damage you if you kill them. The death explosion, which looks identical to the "we blew up on our own" explosion, is no explosion at all. It's purely visual. So it's actually safest to WW-Stab them. That would have been nice to be made clear by Hoji or someone.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 21, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

First bossfight is really hard, and basically a training for using dodge moves. If you're not chain-dodging at the right times you're in trouble, and even then it's hard. Protection Spell is incredibly useful if you picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Some weapons have fringe uses they don't tell you about, as we've discovered in this thread. Thanks to that we know that the flamethrower absolutely murders flying demons at a rate that seems more like a bug than a feature. Just basic primary flamethrower fire takes them down like you hit them with a stream of missiles. I'm sure those hidden perfect uses exist for every weapon or close to every weapon.

• Locked thread