Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I also wrote a preview of this one over at Indie Statik.

I was really pleasantly surprised by this. I was either expecting something a lot like the original, or Hard Reset dressed up in vaguely asian clothing. It's neither of those. In fact, I don't think I've played anything quite like it, which is pretty exciting in of itself.

The closest points of reference I can come up with are Ninja Gaiden (for the level structure, enemy design, dismemberment-heavy sword focused elements, rankings on each fights) and Bulletstorm (you're rewarded more points for varied kills, crazy-powerful guns, complex upgrade system, buying ammo with points). The levels are big and old-school enough to hide a lot of secrets and easter eggs. I only found a few in my first run through the beta, which is effectively the 'shareware' episode of the full game.

I've gone from being vaguely curious about this one to excitedly waiting to get hold of the full version. Oh yeah, as for the humor, it's very much in the style of Bulletstorm - self-aware dick jokes and a slightly stupid, bumbling protagonist - although not quite as sharply written.

GUI posted:

I hope this has some decently sized areas unlike Hard Reset which was mostly cramped corridors with invisible walls everywhere.

Combat areas tend to be pretty big, which is good as your dodge-step is a great way to cover great distances very quickly. You're expected to explore and loot fairly constantly, and there are character upgrades to increase the frequency of health, money and ammo drops.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

The one-liners in that trailer are terrible but this game looks real neat otherwise.

A running gag through the beta is that Lo Wang is kinda awful at the whole 'snappy one-liner' thing and is mocked for it pretty regularly. He's a comic-collecting nerd with a head full of corny action movies and has a personal batcave well stocked in case of a zombie apocalypse. He just happens to be a master assassin, too.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 20, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The hearts seemed to work on more enemies at a time in the preview build, and had a slightly longer range. They seem to have been nerfed at some point, and too hard.

The main balance issue, though, is the flamethrower. The altfire is okay, but the primary fire is all kinds of weaksauce, even after the power upgrade. It really should do about another 30% damage and be slightly longer range.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there a reliable way to deal with the crazy ninja teleporting things?

Quad shotgun. Shield spell if necessary to protect you against that first hit while you're liking up the enormous kaboom.

Fully upgraded, the shield spell is pretty great. You can still fire constantly one-handed while soaking most of the hurt thrown your way.

• Locked thread